MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 17:36:12
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856436 times)
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #750 on: 8 August 2008, 23:55:51 »

Saw Pineapple Express. Loved it.

8/10 in my book.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #751 on: 9 August 2008, 01:41:08 »

I'm convinced that my dad spends 99% of his life thinking he has an awesome youngest son.[/u].[/i].

Yep.

Saw Pineapple Express.

I got a Pineapple Express t-shirt from work today.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #752 on: 9 August 2008, 02:11:39 »

See, all of you guys quoting my post and editing it are changing MY PERSONAL HISTORY. It is still a quote by me and you are mixing my life with yours and that is NOT okay!

I wouldn't wear a movie shirt unless it had a sick design. I've seen a cool Shaun of the Dead one that I'd wear, and one or two funny Superbad ones.
But I wouldn't just wear a shirt that has like the movie's logo and a picture on it. I don't know if that's what you're describing, but I wouldn't expect much from a free shirt anyway.

ANYWAY ONE MORE THING ABOUT PINEAPPLE EXPRESS!
I did the finger-through-the-pants-so-it-looks-like-my-dong thing first! And I have pictures posted here to prove it! Also, I do that fake-dong-sucking thing that Bill Hader does in the beginning a lot, but that's not something to be proud of I suppose.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #753 on: 9 August 2008, 02:56:26 »

No you didn't. I have a picture of friend doing that years ago, and it was invented decades before that. About twelve minutes after they invented pants with a fly.

I wouldn't wear a movie shirt unless it had a sick design.

Same, and it does. My only gripe is there a pot leaf on it, but it's subtle enough. I probably will only wear it under stuff anyway.

But I wouldn't just wear a shirt that has like the movie's logo and a picture on it. I don't know if that's what you're describing,

It's not. But some of those aren't bad. My Hellboy II, Wanted, and American Gangter ones for instance. But the Hellboy II is more design-y than the others.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #754 on: 9 August 2008, 03:41:51 »

I do tend to like Godfather shirts even though they all look the same, and I don't think I'd ever wear one.

Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #755 on: 9 August 2008, 10:23:31 »

I just finished watching the latest Futurama Movie.

The beast with a billion backs.
[spoiler]
It was good, I almost thought they seriously were going to end the story this time. They kept edging closer and closer to something that felt nearly complete. With the exception to one missing, loose end.

Though, with class that loose end, took the story by the balls and took everything "back to normal."
[/spoiler]

I was thoroughly amused, and laughed at some of the wittier parts of the movie. (which is why I don't watch a lot of movies. Many do not strike me funny, interesting, or even entertaining.)

I suggest watching it if you haven't.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #756 on: 11 August 2008, 22:54:17 »

On saturday my friend Robbie took me out and we saw Step Brothers and I liked and don't know what ASR's deal is this time. Maybe he saw it alone, I don't remember. Much like Talladega, you need the right crowd, and the right energy in the theatre and we had it in spades. But I shouldn't even be online right now as I have work to do on this book and am typing this quickly so I'll probably maybe say more later.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #757 on: 15 August 2008, 05:05:07 »

I saw it with my family, so that probably had something to do with it.

I'll probably like it more the second time, just like with Talladega Knights. I hated it in theaters but the next time I watched it, I didn't think it was so bad.

Posted on: 11 August 2008, 23:00:30

Watched Be Kind Rewind the other day. It was... a very NOTHING movie. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it. Just made me feel empty. I mos def love me some Mos Def, but I just wasn't it feeling it this time.

Tonight was better. As I already mentioned, I bought Clerks and Clerks 2 for $10 today and I just finished watching them back-to-back. I've seen Clerks a ton but it's still awesome. And this was my first time seeing Clerks 2. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. That was FANTASTIC. It didn't let me down at ALL. Just plain awesome.

Posted on: 14 August 2008, 08:19:37

With some more spending cash I got from graduation gifts, I bought more View Askewniverse movies that I still haven't seen.
I was gonna' watch them, but hung out with my friends instead.

...and then we saw Tropic Thunder. I've wanted to see it, yes, but I didn't think it would be anything special. Just another comedy, an action spoof with a few actual laughs at most. Hell, I just love Downey, that's the only reason.

It blew my mind. It blew my #####ing mind. It was THAT GOOD.
I never dreamed I'd walk out of the theater praising this movie.

It was the perfect, and I do mean #####ing PERFECT blend of comedy and action. It was a star-studded, action-packed, hilarious, surprisingly engaging film.
And normally I don't think star-studded is a great move, but everyone was clearly having so much fun and were funny in their roles, especially Tom Cruise who I normally don't care for, and don't really like as a person.

Just... it was awesome. Everything about it. Everything in it was either hilarious or explodey-awesome.

It just kept building up and building up and any low points (and don't get me wrong, of course there's one or two) are quickly overshadowed by how awesome everything else is.

Just... see it. Go.

9/10.

I'm happy.

Now time for some Kevin Smith...

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #758 on: 15 August 2008, 05:12:32 »

Ooh, thats great, I want to see the movie but wasn't sure if it was really good or not.

LOL BANDWAGON
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #759 on: 15 August 2008, 05:15:26 »

I know, it's just luck that I'd already seen everything else playing that I wanted to.

If I hadn't seen Pineapple Express yet, I probably would've chosen that over this and really missed out.

Admittedly, they're completely completely different sorts of comedies, and they were both awesome, but Pineapple Express is the sort of thing I'm going to watch a million times and Tropic Thunder was definitely a theater experience with friends and a full audience.

Oh, and the fake trailers at the beginning were creatively awesome and a nice breath of fresh air from the samey stuff Hollywood has been pumping out.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #760 on: 15 August 2008, 05:45:54 »

I think I saw that on a trailer before watching Dark Knight. I was hooked after hearing the phrase "Who left the fridge open!?"

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #761 on: 16 August 2008, 02:28:47 »

I had a pass for Tropic Thunder on monday but I didn't go because I need to see that with friends.

Today I got a pass for Death Race and a shirt for it too. I don't know if I'm gonna go though.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #762 on: 17 August 2008, 21:24:58 »

It's DEFINITELY a friends movie. We were actually having tons of mini-conversations during it because there's so much stuff going on that you'll be like "ahaha is that Tom Cruise?" and "oh ##### did you see him in---" and etc.

Posted on: 16 August 2008, 03:02:29

Okay, so I've been going through a Kevin Smith revival lately and finally bought the rest of the View Askewniverse movies that I didn't own, which was, like... every one of them except Dogma, even though I've seen some of them before and always meant to watch them all.

So, coincidentally in light of my Kevin Smith-themed movie-watching, I checked the only Watchmen movie news site I know of, and there was a very reassuring article.
Apparently Kevin Smith got to watch a preview screening of the movie and said he absolutely loved it. He said that Snyder and co. really did pull it off and that the true fans have nothing to fear.

I've been wary about the movie working out ever since I read the comic, so this is great news.

http://watchmencomicmovie.com/081508-watchmen-movie-kevin-smith.php

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #763 on: 17 August 2008, 21:39:26 »

I know the story should translate well, but I'm not sure about a couple things.

In comic movies they often have to realize (meaning make it more realistic) the costumes since in comics costumes started out rather ridiculous. They did that somewhat with this movie but they still look kind of lame other than Rorschach and Manhattan. But it should be alright since Watchmen costumes were originally designed mostly with the idea of being a parody of comic book costumes in general.

What I'm more worried about, though, is how pretty everything is. It all looks visually fantastic. Problem with that is that's not the way it's supposed to look, actually. The artist of the comics was very able to draw outlandishly gorgeous stuff but was actually told not to, the whole thing was MEANT to be gritty.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #764 on: 17 August 2008, 21:45:18 »

I was under the impression that the artist was told to draw it in an old-fashioned superhero comic book style rather than in a more modern and pretty style, because it was a reimagining of superhero comic book roots.

As a movie, I don't really feel like it's relevant, but I understand what you're saying. However, what do you want them to do? I'd rather it be visually stunning than... well, not.

And as for the story, there's a lot of speculation on whether or not the ending will remain intact. So that's worrisome, and we still don't have a straight answer on that.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #765 on: 17 August 2008, 22:53:44 »

There are many ways to be visually stunning, though...

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #766 on: 17 August 2008, 23:48:03 »

Looking like me, for example.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #767 on: 18 August 2008, 00:32:12 »

RDRR.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #768 on: 18 August 2008, 00:58:54 »

...eh?

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #769 on: 18 August 2008, 04:45:29 »

"Get it, Bart? RDRR? Har di har har!"

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #770 on: 18 August 2008, 06:18:18 »

Ohhhhhh. Ohhhhhh. Kay.

I have a kids book that I've kept all these years called "CDB." As in "See The Bee."

The whole book is written like that. Granted, it isn't a story. Every page is just a different picture with a caption or dialogue, but everything is written in that style. As a kid I couldn't even figure out what all the pages said, even with the pictures.

Yubi Shines
Robot Master

« Reply #771 on: 21 August 2008, 01:20:37 »

Finally went to see Dark Knight.

...man.

How's that for a little of the ol' ultraviolence?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #772 on: 21 August 2008, 01:38:30 »

lol batman don't got any droogs.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #773 on: 21 August 2008, 01:56:48 »

I think one would have to to dress up as a Bat and fight crime.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #774 on: 22 August 2008, 06:10:58 »

Jess and I saw Death Race on a pass last night. It actually wasn't bad. I kinda liked it. I'll talk more about it later or something.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #775 on: 22 August 2008, 08:05:56 »

I read that as "Jesus and I saw Death Race" and didn't do a double-take until I finished the rest of the post.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #776 on: 22 August 2008, 17:35:07 »

I should watch that...
I loved the original, where David Carradine (lol Franekstein) beats up Sylvester Stallone.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #777 on: 23 August 2008, 01:03:59 »

I never watched the original but heard enough about it in high school. This one is only BASED on Death Race 2000.

But it was actually like... The least cheesy "ridiculous action" movie I've seen in a long time. Although one of it's trailers is for "Fast and Furious", which is of course another in the "The Fast and the Furious" line except this one is a proper sequel to the original. And by 'proper sequel' I mean it has the same characters finally, and I don't mean 'good sequel'.

Also the Paul Rudd and Sean William Scott movie looks awesome. I'm not sure if it's a Judd Apatow but all signs point to yes seeing as a helluva lot of people from his movies are in it including the hilarious doctor from Knocked Up.

I've decided that I liked Death Race. Which is very surprising to me. I can't really find the words for it now. Like...It's not epic or anything but it's not bad.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #778 on: 23 August 2008, 02:23:12 »

Oh, that Role Models movie? Ha, that looked hilarious. That and Sex Drive, which I'd seen posters of before but knew nothing about until I saw the trailer (and the Role Models one) before Tropic Thunder.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #779 on: 23 August 2008, 02:33:40 »

The minute I saw the trailer for the first time I instantly thought "Twisted Metal?.."

LOL BANDWAGON
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #780 on: 23 August 2008, 09:38:57 »

Today. This morning. Whatever. Irrelevant.

I finally watched Fight Club.

I always felt like it was a sin that I'd never watched it, along with other notable flicks like The Godfather, Scarface, 2001: A Space Oddysey, Die Hard, The Terminator... well, that list goes on forever. There's tons of stuff I really need to watch and feel like I can't call myself a movie fan unless I have.

Anyway, point is...

Fight Club blew my mind.

I really had NO idea what it was about. None at ALL. Nobody ever even hinted to me that it wasn't just about fighting. I knew it was about something meaningful and deep but I had no idea. None at all ("which, by a staggering coincidence" /hitchhiker'sguide).

Final thoughts: why the ##### did I take so long to watch this? I have seriously been missing out.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #781 on: 23 August 2008, 12:31:51 »

YES YOU HAVE.

It is a great movie, time and time again.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #782 on: 23 August 2008, 19:58:10 »

It's a bit overrated. It's kind of silly how people quote it and obsess about it like it was the greatest movie ever made. It wasn't.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #783 on: 23 August 2008, 20:04:55 »

The only quote I've ever heard from it is "The first rule of fight club is don't talk about fi~etc" and never anything else.

I've never heard anyone say it's the best movie ever, just people saying that it's fantastic and everyone should see it.

Both of which are true.

However, I can definitely see those kinds of people overly-celebrating a movie like this.

I really liked it and it exceeded my expectations and that's good enough for me, but I have too many other movies that I liked ever more than this.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #784 on: 23 August 2008, 20:12:13 »

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE. Stuff like that.

Well then you're good.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #785 on: 23 August 2008, 21:30:46 »

His name was Robert Paulson.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #786 on: 23 August 2008, 23:38:52 »

The minute I saw the trailer for the first time I instantly thought "Twisted Metal?.."

I said it was the best Mario Kart ever during the movie. And it really is video-gamely. They have to run over pads to activate weapons or shields.

Fight Club is cool but a bit overrated. Before that movie ever existed though, my friends and I had a fight club, but it was called Fight Night. It was on Wednesdays.

There's a concept floating around that you've either seen the Star Wars or the Godfather movies, or neither, but never both. I intend to see Godfather so I can be better than everyone ever.

Now stop reading this post and go watch the Die Hard and Terminator movies.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #787 on: 24 August 2008, 00:27:15 »

I KNOW.

And yeah, I've heard that Godfather/Star Wars thing and intend to do the same.

Yubi Shines
Robot Master

« Reply #788 on: 24 August 2008, 00:34:22 »

I watched Equilibrium last night, solely because of Christian Bale. Some nice scenes, some neat lighting, but it just... wasn't very good. Fahrenheit 451 with eXtreme gun fights. Only part really worth seeing? The final fight scene. Everything else was meh.

[spoiler]I just don't think that being drugged into emotionlessness equals stern and uncompromising. If I can't buy into that, then the whole concept just sort of falls.[/spoiler]

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #789 on: 24 August 2008, 00:39:15 »

I agree with Yubi and have even mentioned the same stuff about the drug, but I really like the movie anyway.

Except I find the fight when they find he has the dog or whatever and there's like eight guys around him with machine guns pointed at his is one of the more awesome scenes.

But yes, the story can be rather slow and bland. I think that's a big part of the whole idea though.

Other than governmental issues I don't really see how it's like Fahrenheit 451 that much.

Yubi Shines
Robot Master

« Reply #790 on: 24 August 2008, 01:40:28 »

The burning art bit. Completely different reasons behind it, yeah, but still...

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #791 on: 24 August 2008, 05:08:28 »

Ah yeah, that is true.

Posted on: 23 August 2008, 21:16:24

I've been watching Kill Bill tonight. Both volumes. They are on PeachTree and thus censored, but surprisingly not TOO much. Basically they took out or edited a few shots and redubbed or blanked the F, S, and P words, so it's actually been surprisingly alright. Really, I should own these on DVD, but I was waiting for the box set that saw western light. But man I like them, and I always get so creative watching Tarrantino or R.R. stuff that I've got so many ideas floating around right now it's nuts.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #792 on: 24 August 2008, 05:10:06 »

I know what you mean.

I've been trying to see both Kill Bills, but I want to watch them back-to-back. I saw them for $7 each one time and almost bought them, but for whatever reason I didn't.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #793 on: 24 August 2008, 14:22:15 »

Just watch them.

My brother has Volume 1, I have volume 2.
Too bad he's in Washington state now.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #794 on: 24 August 2008, 16:54:18 »

I watched Equilibrium last night, solely because of Christian Bale. Some nice scenes, some neat lighting, but it just... wasn't very good. Fahrenheit 451 with eXtreme gun fights. Only part really worth seeing? The final fight scene. Everything else was meh.

[spoiler]I just don't think that being drugged into emotionlessness equals stern and uncompromising. If I can't buy into that, then the whole concept just sort of falls.[/spoiler]

The idea of the drug in the movie, Prozium, is to remove the emotional highs and lows that normal people experience. That's why everyone walks around with a "meh" or stern appearance.

It does take some stuff from Fahrenheit 451, but it also borrows elements from 1984 and supposedly Brave New World (I say supposedly because I've never read it, thus, I can't confirm it).

I really like Equilibrium, although I will admit that if it weren't for the fight scenes that Kurt Wimmer dreams up, Equilibrium would have just been another Sci-fi Channel movie original.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #795 on: 31 August 2008, 03:51:58 »

They were selling movie posters on campus, so I bought a great Pulp Fiction one.
Got me in the mood for Tarantino.
So.
Finally watched Reservoir Dogs tonight, with my roommate.

Now I've shifted gears entirely and I'm trying to get him into Arrested Development.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #796 on: 31 August 2008, 19:20:50 »

The Mask is on. Awesome.

LOL BANDWAGON
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #797 on: 31 August 2008, 21:29:30 »

The Mask is on. Awesome.

I recently bought The Mask Omnibus, which contains all of the Mask Comics that the movie is based on.

So good.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #798 on: 5 September 2008, 02:52:44 »

Fight Club the movie completely lost the point the book was making.

The book also had a better ending.

Speaking of Palaniuk books, I saw the trailer for Choke the other day. I was excited when I head they were making a movie of it, but now that I've seen the trailer, I have to say I'm less than optimistic.

The trailer made the movie seem like it was aiming to be a comedy.

Again, I think the point was lost.

Though, I must say, there were certainly some funny points in the book. Like when anal beads broke off in his ass and he spent the whole book severely impacted.

Derivative dy = 3 r squared dr over 3

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #799 on: 5 September 2008, 03:16:13 »

I'm not gonna' lie, the ending of Fight Club as a movie really was an effective visual. It really struck a chord to see all that destruction and it sort of worked with however the movie was telling the story, whether or not it was different than the book.

I was thinking of reading the book, but I thought it would be just too similar. Though, now you've made me think it must be different enough for it to warrant a read.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string