MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 10:42:30
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856382 times)
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2450 on: 3 August 2010, 07:14:27 »

Oh boy.

I don't know whether to be excited or to face palm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyU2LyTAFZM

I don't know how long this news has been around but nonetheless, it looks fairly new.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2451 on: 3 August 2010, 07:45:20 »

I could've sworn I've seen a parody of that by LittleKuriboh months ago.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2452 on: 5 August 2010, 07:29:30 »

That is about 8 or 9 months old, am waiting to see when a fan subs for the movie will be out, really cool when I 1st saw the trailer, and apparently it was in 3-D when it was in theaters.

EDIT: There will be a USA version to the movie in 3D (in select theaters) as well to add new footage to extend the movie past 50 minutes, umm, Spring 2011 will be out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pX6RjjVSRc&feature=related

« Last Edit: 5 August 2010, 07:46:27 by TheOnly » Logged

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2453 on: 5 August 2010, 22:11:20 »

It might look cool, but I'm already expecting failure since the last one was considered "worst movie of the year" for a good reason.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2454 on: 6 August 2010, 01:55:36 »

Well, the last one was stupid, very stupid. But I hope am wrong for this one, tho 4Kids is rather famous for having crappy as hell dubs.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2455 on: 11 August 2010, 06:21:38 »

I thought 4Kids died.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2456 on: 11 August 2010, 07:46:38 »

Fortunately yes, but they LIVED!

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2457 on: 12 August 2010, 17:06:02 »

If fansubs come out for the movie, am going to nab that instead.

Signature:
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2458 on: 13 August 2010, 04:10:49 »

I've only watched the anime fansubs (and read some manga).

I'm probably thinking the movie is going to tank either way.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2459 on: 13 August 2010, 15:23:25 »

Were you got it from? I've been looking for it but can't manage to find it. :/

Signature:
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2460 on: 13 August 2010, 18:46:15 »

Around.

It's been years since I read/watched stuff. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! stuff ended. I kinda stopped caring with the GX garbage.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2461 on: 13 August 2010, 21:15:52 »

Shush with the playing card talk. This is now The Official Scott Pilgrim VS The World Thread.

Let's all talk about how great it is.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2462 on: 14 August 2010, 00:56:27 »

Does it really need its own thread for a moment so slight?

Signature:
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #2463 on: 14 August 2010, 04:35:09 »

I wanted to see the movie because of the director but is the comic worth reading?
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2464 on: 14 August 2010, 04:47:01 »

I like the comics a lot but they might not be your thing. I say at least give 'em a shot if you like the movie.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2465 on: 14 August 2010, 06:11:04 »

Shush with the playing card talk. This is now The Official Scott Pilgrim VS The World Thread.

Let's all talk about how great it is.

Funny. I came to this topic to do just that.

Most of it was pretty awesome. I'm not a fan of the comics (because I haven't read any) so this is my first introduction to it all. This is fantastic for any video game lover.

Posted on: 14 August 2010, 05:01:13

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/08/13/scott_pilgrim_creator:_i_was_mega_man

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2466 on: 14 August 2010, 09:53:20 »

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was fantastic...instant classic.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2467 on: 14 August 2010, 14:41:21 »

I hate the comics.
... pretty much in their entirety.  Is it possible that I would even want to see the movie?
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2468 on: 17 August 2010, 18:54:35 »

So how good was Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim?

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2469 on: 17 August 2010, 22:45:08 »

I wouldn't know, but apparently... he's the same as he was in his other movies, and people are pretty much greatly enjoying the scenes where he gets punched in the face.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2470 on: 18 August 2010, 05:45:09 »

Scott in the comics is a bit more... I don't know, silly? Airheaded? Self-conscious? Clueless? I mean, he was all of those things in the movie, but they were all clouded by the Michael Cera Awkard School of Acting. I'm a huge Michael Cera fan, and probably always will be. I think he's a genuinely funny guy and he's perfect for a lot of roles - the problem is when he gets cast in something that he doesn't quite mesh with.

From what most people seem to be saying, everyone was fine with him in this. He did much better than everyone was expecting, and he meshed pretty well with the role of Scott. There are some clashes with the character in the comics, but overall the performance comes out great.

I never understood the outright hatred some people have for Cera - I guess some people just got sick of him very quickly.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2471 on: 18 August 2010, 13:14:50 »

He's an ugly, retarded looking goofball with no talent.
A dead squirrel in a brown paper bag has mote emote than Cera does.

(Actually, I just wanted an excuse to say that)
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #2472 on: 18 August 2010, 17:38:46 »

They might as well have put Napoleon Dynamite in it since that's exactly who Cera is.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2473 on: 18 August 2010, 22:55:27 »

Michael Cera is a funny person, but not a good actor. That latter bit is generally understood and universally agreed upon. He is a funny person, though, and when he fits into a role (as in Arrested Development, Superbad, and even Scott Pilgrim) his presence really works. Other times, it's terrible (Nick and Norah, Youth in Revolt and several other crappy flicks he popped up in during his "indie teen romance" phase.) I thought he was pretty good in Juno.

He has absolutely nothing in common with Napoleon Dynamite aside from the fact that they're both kind of awkward. Nothing at all. I don't even understand that comparison.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #2474 on: 19 August 2010, 00:23:26 »

There is no comparison to understand.

They both just are their sole characters, and will never be anything else.

Which isn't good enough.

I will never know Napoleon Dynamite's name and in a few years Cera will be "That guy from Superbad.  No, the skinny one..." again.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2475 on: 19 August 2010, 02:56:20 »

I thought you were talking about the character of Napoleon Dynamite, not the actor who portrays him (Jon Heder, now you know his name!)

I definitely agree that Cera isn't a strong actor, and until he shows more range I don't think anyone should ever be able to argue otherwise. HOWEVER - he's a genuinely funny comedic talent. At least, that's what I think. Which means nothing, really. (But I like to think it does.)

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #2476 on: 19 August 2010, 08:34:18 »

I can't see Scott Pilgrim because you know why? The goddamn commercial said the word epic one too many times.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2477 on: 19 August 2010, 08:48:39 »

I made a post on facebook about Scott Pilgrim, and I'll carry over the part that applies here:

"I hate using the word epic as much as anyone who's grown tired of that word being thrown around by today's youth BUT the word fits here because the movie was TRYING to be epic and succeeded."

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #2478 on: 19 August 2010, 16:10:30 »

I wont go and see it because the alleged hot girl is pig ugly.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #2479 on: 19 August 2010, 17:36:35 »

I watched it but was not impressed. Fun movie though. I'm one of the people that hate Cera, and this movie, of course, fueled the hatred a little bit more. Maybe it was just me seeing things, but I swear Cera kind of looked like Butt-Head at one or more points, as if his chin and neck were merging..

AAAAAAAAND I saw it in Toronto, so just about everyone was getting high off of their own funk.. the entire night I was bombarded with hipsters and pretentious douchey-butts. But hell, overall, the entire movie was a bit hipstery and douchey-buttesque, so that was a given..

Good movie. Not gonna see it again. Not gonna buy it. Game looks fun though!

LOL BANDWAGON
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2480 on: 19 August 2010, 20:10:19 »

I don't get the confusion over the hipster and the gamer culture. I don't know about anyone else but I see a wild difference. Not that some gamers aren't pretentious douches, but hipsters are snarky by stereotype, and gamers are geeky by stereotype. This movie attracted hipsters because old video games, among other things, have been absorbed by the culture and it was "ironic", but gamers genuinely enjoyed that #####.

If anything the movie makes fun of hipsters and expresses an open "It's uncool, but it's okay to be me" vibe which makes gamers proud of their roots. If you ask me. I for one wasn't sitting there thinking, "The fact that I understand this movie is why I'm better than everyone else." I just enjoyed it for what it was.

EDIT: I think the "hot girl" was pretty, by the way. Then again you'd have a hard time arguing with me that anyone is ugly.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2010, 20:16:12 by Majikn » Logged

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2481 on: 19 August 2010, 22:55:48 »

They're all stupid looking kids.
Every last one of them.

Also, "gamer" is a word that does not mean what it meant when I used to call myself one.  I don't see how SP is a part of gamer culture because it throws around a lot of references for no good reason.  There is no need for it, and it does not make up for the story and writing being boring tripe.
Or the art looking like #####.

The movie apparently has very little in the way of these references.
I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.  I still don't know if I want to see it.  Leaning no.

But I agree with Wind that the game looks cool.  It's basically River City Ransom with sprites drawn by a narcissistic a-hole and really awesome music.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2482 on: 20 August 2010, 01:14:28 »

You're acting like it's just a weird random story with video game stuff thrown in, but the whole THING was a video game.

It was a video game movie. The reference to interaction and gaming and stuff doesn't "make up" for the story, it's a huge part of the story, down to the fact of him
[spoiler]grabbing a life-up being actually essential to the story and not just a random video game reference.[/spoiler]
The story doesn't exist without it BECAUSE it's so integrated into the idea. I mean, there are even boss battles. I don't have a clue how you could say it's not heavily inspired by video games.

Since "video game" isn't a genre in itself, I tend to say it's like a chick flick with action sequences and video game references... but truthfully, the video game element is such a huge part of it.

They're all stupid looking kids.
Every last one of them.

That's not even true. A few of them are stupid looking but they're kind of supposed to be. There's a silliness vibe to the movie. Still, you'll either like it or you won't. You probably won't, and that's okay. Just... it is what it is. I dislike No More Heroes, for example, and I'd be met with the argument that if you just sit back and let yourself enjoy it, you'll enjoy it.

What does this movie tell you that "gamer" supposedly means? For me it means the same thing it did years ago. It's just a person who likes video games.

Reading the book, the art kind of IS Eeehehhhhhh, though.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2483 on: 20 August 2010, 02:12:54 »

I'm butting in for 1 comment.

That's what "gamer" should mean. I would like to call myself a gamer without people being so judgmental. But the truth is people associate "gamers" to whiny teens on their Xbox screaming over Halo 3 because someone stole their kill, got sniped, and tea bagged.

I know it's really stupid, mainly because it's pretty much the equivalent of seeing someone with glasses is reading a comic book, and then assuming they're into anime and Star Trek.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #2484 on: 20 August 2010, 02:41:23 »

I thought the art was cool, kind of reminded me of the Powerpuff Girls and it seems to fit the comic (i havent read it yet).
« Last Edit: 20 August 2010, 02:46:26 by MOX » Logged
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2485 on: 20 August 2010, 13:56:14 »

Oh, it is like Powerpuff girls.  Then you realize some of these characters are supposed to be fairly old and there is zero distinction between children and adults, aside from some people being bigger.  It's cookie cutter, and it gives me a headache just looking at it.
That's not to say I don't like simplistic styles like the PPG, but at least that shows some variety.

As for Majikn's comment, I was mainly talking about the comic; I've not seen the movie and my comments about the movie are based on the trailer.  And yeah, maybe it's inspired by games but the whole idea of it feels like a slap in the face because someone is literally lifting things I like and giving them to people who do not deserve them.
In a form that does not deserve attention.

You know what, I don't think any of us are really going to come to some sort of consensus on this anyway, so let's just agree to disagree and drop it.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2010, 14:01:58 by Chron » Logged
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2486 on: 20 August 2010, 15:23:52 »

You guys are all crazy.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2487 on: 20 August 2010, 20:06:24 »

Okay, Chron. I was just providing a different perspective, is all.

The movie, at least the first part, seem to be a lot like the first volume was. I noticed only pretty minor differences. If anything the movie took some things slightly more into depth. I've been informed, however, that some parts are completely different.

From what I understand of hipsters, they take things from other cultures and absorb it into themselves at a later period. You could say it's unfortunate that it happened; I don't know. I don't even really care. It's their problem, I mean, and I don't let it affect me.

On the other hand, there are still plenty of people who admittedly don't understand the comic or the movie and wouldn't without having played video games. I bought the first comic to give it a shot; the art IS weak and girly. If that's the worst part about it though, I see past it. I don't think of myself as undeserving and the book seems to fit with my target audience, given that I still kind of like it, and for all I know, I'm a gamer. The only reason I was never "hardcore" is simply that my parents wouldn't spoil me with video games when I was younger. I stuck with the few favourites that I had.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2488 on: 20 August 2010, 21:15:19 »

I just finished reading the rest of the comic because people won't shut up at me about it.  I guess I am just too old to be in range to think it's really all that great.

I suppose what got me so worked up about this is that it is really not as great as so many people say it is.  At least it's not in my eyes.  That, and all of the shoving it in my face people have been doing.
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #2489 on: 20 August 2010, 22:29:59 »

Oh, it is like Powerpuff girls.  Then you realize some of these characters are supposed to be fairly old and there is zero distinction between children and adults, aside from some people being bigger.  It's cookie cutter, and it gives me a headache just looking at it.

Same for me with most of anime.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2490 on: 20 August 2010, 22:34:36 »

I can ignore it in anime for the most part because sometimes I just genuinely like the subject material.

I'm not sure there's anything that can stand on the art alone with the exception of a few movies like Akira and a handful of the cartoon shows.

--- EDIT

Not that anyone will probably see this, but Piranha 3D.  So much blood, so much cheese and so much fun.  This is the perfect horror/gore more for someone who hates spring breakers as much as I do.  It also has Christopher Lloyd.
« Last Edit: 2 September 2010, 01:41:05 by Chron » Logged
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2491 on: 2 September 2010, 02:39:04 »

I saw Piranha 3D and loooooved it. So much fun. Not a good movie by any means, but it's not trying to be and anyone who doesn't understand that it missing the point. What a blast.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2492 on: 2 September 2010, 05:38:25 »

I honestly can't put aside my biases to enjoy that movie. I never could. I could, at my level of maturity, simply let it be what it is, but I could never like it for what it is. I reject the idea that, at any age, I could scream affirmatives at the slightest unveiling of someone's tits, let alone all the ##### they rockin' in this movie. I just can't. It's stupid and I just don't care.

At best I struggle not to be offended that I am portrayed as an idiot for having male genitalia, and try to remind myself that I was not the targeted audience despite knowing about the sexist ignorance this movie will perpetuate about male behaviour.

I'm sorry. I hated it, but not for lack of trying to enjoy it. I gotta admit that there were three pretty awesome parts at least.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2493 on: 2 September 2010, 13:30:42 »

See, you're caring too much about the plot and trying to pick out themes and messages from the movie.  There aren't any.  It's a movie about horrible people who, for the most part, deserve to die.  You get to see that.  Reading into the representation of characters would ruin your enjoyment.

The men (and women) are portrayed that way because it makes it more fun to see them get pulled apart by silly looking fish.  (I can't be the only one who laughed when they showed up on screen the first time).

You're not supposed to like anyone but the police.

I get the feeling, Majikin, that this is just not your kind of movie because you're much too focused on morality.  Which is OK, that's rare these days.

You're making a mistake in thinking the movie is only sexist towards men, though.  It's sexist all around.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2494 on: 2 September 2010, 16:42:16 »

It's not about the nudity or the gore, it's about the nudity and the gore that have become the landmarks of these kinds of movies... if that makes any sense at all. (It doesn't.)

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2495 on: 2 September 2010, 17:11:17 »

It sure does to me!!!

Signature:
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2496 on: 2 September 2010, 21:11:23 »

See, you're caring too much about the plot and trying to pick out themes and messages from the movie.  There aren't any.  It's a movie about horrible people who, for the most part, deserve to die.  You get to see that.  Reading into the representation of characters would ruin your enjoyment.
The men (and women) are portrayed that way because it makes it more fun to see them get pulled apart by silly looking fish.  (I can't be the only one who laughed when they showed up on screen the first time).

You're not supposed to like anyone but the police.

I get the feeling, Majikin, that this is just not your kind of movie because you're much too focused on morality.  Which is OK, that's rare these days.

I didn't have to think hard to get that message, and I don't believe I was trying to. When I was ignoring the rest of it, I was still looking at stupid people panicking and getting slaughtered, because the gore and the nudity do nothing for me.

I could have interpreted it wrongly anyway, because I see your point. I've always seen the point of horror movies like this as to be blatantly over-the-top in order to frighten and disgust people. It didn't really occur to me that people simply enjoy watching slaughter. In the end I'm completely detached from the movie.

You're making a mistake in thinking the movie is only sexist towards men, though.  It's sexist all around.

I didn't say that it wasn't. I was more talking about what the movie creators must really think about their male audience to expect them to enjoy all the over-the-top nudity and gore (i.e. its sexism towards women works as a suggestion that I enjoy that). That's not something I can turn off, sadly. I'm not exactly fuming, but it's tiresome. When girls suggest to me that I might enjoy this movie when they didn't, I respond with attitude: "Oh, it's because I'm a guy, right? That's not getting old at all."

It's just one of the few things I feel really strongly about.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2497 on: 2 September 2010, 21:31:21 »

Just saw DragonBall Evolution for the 1st time and honestly, its NOT the best, but its NOT all that bad, kindda chessy in a way, but I enjoyed it.

Signature:
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2498 on: 2 September 2010, 23:40:43 »

I've yet to watch that.  I don't think I ever will unless I can get a Rifftrax version of it.

I didn't have to think hard to get that message, and I don't believe I was trying to. When I was ignoring the rest of it, I was still looking at stupid people panicking and getting slaughtered, because the gore and the nudity do nothing for me.

I could have interpreted it wrongly anyway, because I see your point. I've always seen the point of horror movies like this as to be blatantly over-the-top in order to frighten and disgust people. It didn't really occur to me that people simply enjoy watching slaughter. In the end I'm completely detached from the movie.

Well, if you were enjoying it and were really into the movie as a reality, that would be a problem.  It's not something you can watch without distancing yourself from the world in the movie.  In real life it is not cool to see so much bloodshed going on, nor is it easy to watch.

With Piranha there's a real disjoint between reality and what's happening on screen, to the point where the "slaughter" is just ridiculous carnage done in increasingly silly ways.  Yeah, it's disgusting, yeah it's probably frightening for some people aside from the cheap shots... but it's also just silly.

I really don't think I can find the right word for this to make it sound nice... but...
... perhaps you are too prude for this kind of movie?

I didn't say that it wasn't. I was more talking about what the movie creators must really think about their male audience to expect them to enjoy all the over-the-top nudity and gore (i.e. its sexism towards women works as a suggestion that I enjoy that). That's not something I can turn off, sadly. I'm not exactly fuming, but it's tiresome. When girls suggest to me that I might enjoy this movie when they didn't, I respond with attitude: "Oh, it's because I'm a guy, right? That's not getting old at all."

It's just one of the few things I feel really strongly about.

So what offends you most is not the content, but the idea that people think you should like the content because you're male.  I can see that being annoying, but that's just how people are.

Eh, that's enough on this for now.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2499 on: 3 September 2010, 01:47:01 »

I went to see Dragonball Evolution in theatres just to see how bad it was.

Of course, it's a "harmless" kind of bad movie. It isn't terrible, but amusing, just as long as you don't bring your expectations to the movie. Nobody needs to make a parody of this movie, because they pretty much did the job themselves. I especially like the FINAL BATTLE. All 2 seconds of it.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string