MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 06:24:45
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856354 times)
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1200 on: 23 December 2008, 20:39:07 »

Little known fact; "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is actually a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald that was adapted to a graphic novel by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir and is now adapted to film by David Fincher.

I found the graphic novel at work a week or two ago, so I might read that first/instead.

I knew it was a short story at least.

I just saw "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World"
For free.
On hulu.com.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/1522/master-and-commander-the-far-side-of-the-world

It's a great site to go watch any shows you've missed recently (that they have) and some movies.
For instance, I recently also watched the Fifth Element there.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1201 on: 23 December 2008, 21:21:11 »

Yeah. Hulu. It's a great idea, but it's still locked to the USA only so I gotta wait that out.

I miss Stage6.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #1202 on: 24 December 2008, 00:13:55 »

Right. Like I said, The Spirit wasn't very good.

I've realized I wasn't just tired. The movie was not good. I only know two people who liked it, and one only liked it because he has a boner for Frank Miller and The Spirit.

But that movie didn't know what it was supposed to be. The dialogue that was basically just like The Spirit books totally didn't fit with the OTHER dialogue in the movie. And virtually everyone was lame except The Spirit, The Octopus, and his helper girl. But that's not saying all that much. They should have done it like a Dick Tracy, and not try for that Sin City look that did not work for it.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of seeing it, Mike. Once again, someone else suffers for my benefit.

Recent movies:
Punisher: War Zone - Holy ##### what an awesome movie. They got everything about it right, and I love this movie to pieces. It only took them three films to get it right. Tons of violence, gore, dark humor...everything the other Punisher films should have had.

Huh? Really? I heard nothing but bad reviews, from regular movie goers, and Punisher fans alike. In fact, that movie bombed, badly, at the box office.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1203 on: 24 December 2008, 00:51:13 »

I also liked War Zone.

But I didn't think it was that good. Knowing it was made for DVD release helps. It was what Speed said, but whether that's awesome to you or not is opinion in the same way that people like Alien Vs. Predator or Death Race (I dislike the former, but liked the latter somehow).

I've heard good and bad opinions, but from the people I know are Punisher fans of the bunch, I've only heard good.

It was, at the least, kinda fun.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1204 on: 24 December 2008, 06:48:26 »

Gran Torino. Good #####.

LOL BANDWAGON
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #1205 on: 25 December 2008, 06:25:50 »

Punisher: War Zone probably would've have bombed as badly if they had kept the original October release date. December was a terrible idea. Who (besides me) wants to see an super violent, bloody action film so close to Christmas?

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1206 on: 25 December 2008, 16:58:56 »

Yeah, I wouldn't have bothered to go see it if it wasn't free.

It wasn't really that gory though. Other then a face or two caving in and some people exploding.

Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1207 on: 26 December 2008, 21:16:25 »

In a few minuets, I'm going to go see Yes Man. I've heard that it wasn't as funny as people thought it were going to be, but I'll be watching it with an open mind, so I won't care.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1208 on: 26 December 2008, 21:16:45 »

Saw No Country For Old Men.

Will watch Burn After Reading later.

Want to see Yes Man eventually, but I'm in Aruba.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #1209 on: 28 December 2008, 04:20:13 »

No Country For Old Men.

I saw half of that on demand a few months ago. I wanna see it all now.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #1210 on: 28 December 2008, 04:25:35 »

Dude...
I realized somethin'.
The entire Children of the Corn series is #####ing retarded.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1211 on: 28 December 2008, 04:26:47 »

No Country For Old Men was great. No music in the soundtrack, or at least that I noticed. Gave it a very unique and real atmosphere. It's a bit slow, but I really liked it.

JUST finished Burn After Reading.

I love movies that bring together a bunch of great performers, and this totally delivered. You've got George Clooney, John Malkovich (absolutely spectacular), Brad Pitt (fun as always), J.K. Simmons, Tilda Swinton, and more.
The plot is great, too. I love the scenes with J.K. Simmons that summarize little bits of what happened and how inconsequential everything is.
It's like... so much everything means so much nothing. Great intertwining-plotline movie.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1212 on: 28 December 2008, 04:49:47 »

No Country for Old Men was good.
Until the end.

It left a lot of confusion and turned a type of suspense film into some pansy movie about feelings.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1213 on: 28 December 2008, 05:06:48 »

You're a pansy movie about feelings.

I watched it with my dad and brother, and they both HATED the ending. And I know you were joking, but seriously, every good suspense movie relies entirely on feelings or else it won't work. That's almost the point. But I do know what you mean.

I just felt it was appropriate.

It was more a cat-and-mouse movie than a suspense movie, anyway. Though you can't really just have a "suspense movie." There needs to be some other way to classify it.

My brother didn't believe me that No Country for Old Men and Burn After Reading were both directed by the Coen brothers, heh.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1214 on: 28 December 2008, 05:12:57 »

NCfOM was a letdown.
The whole thing build up to this confrontation that doesn't happen, then the story is resolved with the killer on the run.

I mean hell, who finishes a movie without showing what really happened to the protagonist? Then introducing some completely new person who's related to someone the viewer doesn't care that much about to give the moral of the story.

It's just a disappointment.

Highlights of the movie were the 'gunfight' in the streets and the mariachi band soon after.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1215 on: 28 December 2008, 05:19:39 »

I really had absolutely no idea what NCFOM was about before I watched it, I just knew I wanted to see it. Thus, I watched it with absolutely ZERO expectations, aside from knowing it won Best Picture, though that really doesn't mean much nowadays.

I can totally see how it disappoints, though. It just didn't disappoint me because I wasn't even in any sort of mindset while watching... I was just watching and nothing else. Best way to watch a movie.

On that note, does anyone take their movie-watching as seriously as I do? Ha, I mean, like... if a movie I haven't seen yet that I've been meaning to is on TV, I'll refuse to be in the room or make them change the channel or turn the TV off. Or, if it's noisy and there are distractions while I'm watching a movie for the first time, I'll stop it and watch it later.

And, like, if I know I'm going to watch a movie that I haven't seen but want to with a group of friends later, I'll make sure to watch it on my own privately beforehand.

I dunno.

Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1216 on: 28 December 2008, 17:59:52 »

Dude...
I realized somethin'.
Wow, really? :o

Anyway, I'm hoping the Friday the 13th remake wont suck. I'm saving up points on my Regal card, just so I won't have to pay a full $7 for it, cause it will most likely be pretty disappointing.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #1217 on: 28 December 2008, 19:00:25 »

Dude...
I realized somethin'.

Conglaturations!
I hate you.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1218 on: 28 December 2008, 20:52:50 »

Dude...
I realized somethin'.

Anyway, I'm hoping the Friday the 13th remake wont suck. I'm saving up points on my Regal card, just so I won't have to pay a full $7 for it, cause it will most likely be pretty disappointing.

You don't 'save up' points, when you reach a certain point count they force you to have a free popcorn, or soda, or candy, and movie ticket that WILL expire.

Just go on a Tuesday when a large popcorn is like 2 bucks for regal card holders.

Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #1219 on: 29 December 2008, 02:24:51 »

So last night we went out to watch "yesman"

For what originally SEEMED like a 'liar liar' ripoff...

It was DAMN good. I forgot what good comedy was, what with those #####ty Adam Sandler films and all. Jim Carry is indeed showing his age, but his humor has yet to yield.  I suggest you watch it.
Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1220 on: 29 December 2008, 02:36:52 »

Yes MAn

It was DAMN good. I forgot what good comedy was, what with those #####ty Adam Sandler films and all. Jim Carry is indeed showing his age, but his humor has yet to yield.  I suggest you watch it.
PREACH IT!
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #1221 on: 29 December 2008, 02:45:13 »

no.

[spoiler]NoMan! NoMan!NoMan! NoMan! NoMan! NoMan!NoMan! NoMan! NoMan! NoMan!NoMan! NoMan! NoMan! NoMan!NoMan! NoMan! NoMan! NoMan!NoMan! NoMan! NoMan! NoMan! NoMan! NoMan![/spoiler]
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #1222 on: 29 December 2008, 02:54:07 »

Tee hee~

I also quite enjoyed Yes Man. I liked how the trailers didn't give away so much that the movie was unenjoyable because of them. They left themselves enough to need to be tied together. It was excellent.

That's nice, dear.
Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1223 on: 29 December 2008, 02:55:01 »

Agreed. Most movies use too much scenes in their trailers nowadays.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #1224 on: 29 December 2008, 02:59:12 »

It's very annoying, yes.

Too many trailers ruin even good movies, so I'm not sure how people figure that their crapfilms for which they practically release the whole feature in previews will sell well.

That's nice, dear.
Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1225 on: 29 December 2008, 03:07:08 »

Trailers should be more like the ol' Star Wars trailers were back in the day. Those trailers barely showed any scenes.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1226 on: 29 December 2008, 03:33:52 »

God, you guys are killing me. I've been wanting to see Yes Man for so long. There's ONE theater in Aruba and it's not showing there.

Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1227 on: 29 December 2008, 03:43:42 »

There's ONE theater in Aruba and it's not showing there.
>:D

I can't wait to get it on DVD. I love that movie.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #1228 on: 30 December 2008, 00:08:49 »

I watched Behind Enemy Lines and Hancock, both of which were rubbish.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1229 on: 30 December 2008, 00:21:53 »

The first half of Hancock was okay.

Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1230 on: 30 December 2008, 00:22:25 »

When he's hired as a Super hero, everything goes downhill.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1231 on: 30 December 2008, 00:28:46 »

The first half of Hancock was okay.

Exactly. In fact, I rather enjoyed that half.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1232 on: 30 December 2008, 01:09:38 »

The second half was boring and that dumb twist was just moronic.

I hate to say it, but I really didn't like Michael Bluth here.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1233 on: 30 December 2008, 01:12:01 »

I sometimes get the feeling he could be a bit of a d-bag in real life but probably not.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1234 on: 31 December 2008, 05:29:39 »

In all the interviews I've seen him in, he seems pretty down-to-earth and fun, if a bit witty and sarcastic. I remember something promoting Hancock where he kept making jokes and Will Smith wasn't really getting any of them.

Oh, and watch The Ex. Well, it's not that good of a movie, but it's basically just him being the biggest dick he's ever played.

Posted on: 30 December 2008, 01:16:32

...just watched Leatherheads.

My dad bought it, since I'd normally never be caught dead buying a sports movie. I don't usually care for them.

But hot damn.

This was actually really good. Definitely an underlooked gem. George Clooney, Renee Zelweggerwhatever and John Krasinski all gave truly fantastic performances, and the plot was surprisingly engaging. They didn't actually play too much football, and the pacing was still great. And even in the mandatory "big game at the end of the movie finale", it was fresh and original and I really liked it.

It also seems like the sort of thing to be based on a true story. Things like the war story scandal seem iffy, though. The war story anecdote is hilarious and would make the movie even if the rest sucked, which it didn't. Very good.

Posted on: 30 December 2008, 04:25:14

And then last night I rewatched The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie since I've been on a H2G2 kick again lately.

God. I'm so hard on this movie. It's like, I don't watch it for a while and then I start constantly badmouthing it to no end. And then I watch it again... and I fall in love.

I think it's because it's such a beautiful movie. The landscapes and effects and overall atmosphere is so breathtakingly gorgeous that there's no way I can't keep falling in love with it. I've come to the conclusion that Mos Def isn't a bad Ford Prefect, it's just that he's vastly underplayed in the second half of the movie.
Sam Rockwell is definitely the best Zaphod in my own opinion, though I'm sure others will disagree.
And Martin Freeman does a fabulous job as usual, and I've always commended him for pulling off this role perfectly.
...oh, and Zooey Deschanel... my god. She's my own little celeb-crush, I love her in everything she's in. Everything from Elf to Weeds. I also really want to see Yes Man because of her. I think it's those giant blue eyes. It has to be those giant blue eyes.

But yeah, the one thing the movie did absolutely perfectly is Marvin. From what I know, Douglas himself designed the new Marvin before he died, and he was meant to look like an extremely elegant and high-class robot that wears himself in such a depressed way.

It's why I own a 10" action figure thing of the movie-version of Marvin with light-up eyes. The TV-show Marvin is pretty ugly and not even what you'd expect him to look like, and for those who haven't seen that Marvin, it makes an appearance in the movie during the queueing scene of Vogsphere.

I mean, I guess I do like the movie. In a few months when I haven't watched it for a while, I'll probably start badmouthing it again. Whatever.

That scene when Slartibartfast takes Arthur down into Magrathea... it's so amazing, it gets me every time. When the movie ends, I always go to scene selection and watch that scene again. And that business with the Point Of View Gun and Marvin at the end was genius.

And that final image of Douglas Adams followed by a dedication to him... makes up for anything the movie might've done wrong.

Posted on: 30 December 2008, 17:35:48

Seriously, this is just depressing. Four posts in a row. Thanks guys, for posting in between and not making seem like such a jackass.

I just watched Tropic Thunder with the cast commentary.

Oh my god.

All I have to say is:
"I don't drop character 'till I done the DVD commentary!"

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1235 on: 31 December 2008, 05:31:19 »

I saw The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button tonight, and really liked it.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1236 on: 31 December 2008, 05:37:06 »

I saw The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button tonight, and really liked it.

Worth spending 6.75 to see?

Also ASR, I find that hilarious.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1237 on: 31 December 2008, 05:48:53 »

I wouldn't see it again soon, it's long and stuff, but it was worth my cash and I definitely liked it, even though I'm not really in a good mental place for some stuff right now. I paid for two other people as well, but it's OK because it was cheap night.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1238 on: 31 December 2008, 05:58:25 »

Sweet.
I'll go see it soon then.

Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #1239 on: 1 January 2009, 04:25:08 »

Today they put "Fluke" on TV.
ALL the movies starring animals I have seen are REALLY boring.
All the bethoven films, the Air Bud ones, Bingo, Jack, the monkey that played hockey(What?) and that movie with this cat that in spanish was called Chatran.
There are a lot more.
They are all TRASH.
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #1240 on: 1 January 2009, 04:33:57 »

HAHA.

I remember fluke.

Give me your address and I'll send you my DVD copy of it.

... How I got it is a long story involving having ONE family friendly film in my library.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1241 on: 1 January 2009, 05:01:15 »

Today they put "Fluke" on TV.
ALL the movies starring animals I have seen are REALLY boring.
All the bethoven films, the Air Bud ones, Bingo, Jack, the monkey that played hockey(What?) and that movie with this cat that in spanish was called Chatran.
There are a lot more.
They are all TRASH.

"DUNSTIN CHECKS IN" WOULD LIKE A WORD WITH YOU

Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1242 on: 1 January 2009, 05:04:33 »

I saw Bed Time Stories tonight, and for a Disney film (not to mention an Adam Sandler comedy), it was actually pretty nice.

Oh so nice........

I like nice. It makes me hapee.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1243 on: 1 January 2009, 07:45:07 »

The monkey was MVP you ass. MOST. VALUABLE. PRIMATE.
RECOGNIZE.

Really though, I've never seen it and I don't want to.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1244 on: 1 January 2009, 07:45:49 »

You're not missing much.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1245 on: 1 January 2009, 07:46:45 »

That much I am sure of.

Shawn
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1246 on: 1 January 2009, 11:03:17 »

Right now, I'm watching GoldenEye on TV.

I was going to have Spider Man 3 be the first movie to be seen by me in 2009, but whenever GoldenEye is on, I have to watch it. It was, and always will be, my favorite Bond movie. (Casino Royale is my second, naturally.)

Maybe the awesome video game contributed to my to how much I love this movie?
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #1247 on: 1 January 2009, 17:36:55 »

I just like it when the credits come on while we're waiting for everyone to leave the theatre.

The credits play Don't Stop Believin'

It's a nice alternative to the Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers songs that play on the TV screens set up all over the lobby several times a day.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1248 on: 1 January 2009, 21:25:44 »

What's so natural about Casino Royale being someone's second favourite Bond movie?

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #1249 on: 2 January 2009, 04:33:33 »

Maybe it's natural to his personality.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string