MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 13:38:04
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856403 times)
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #650 on: 25 July 2008, 05:16:54 »

None of it was boring, you tardorama.

I just watched the Watchmen trailer like four times.

Wait. Watched the Watchmen...

"Who watches the Watchmen?"

Cool.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #651 on: 25 July 2008, 05:21:01 »

None of it was boring, you tardorama.

Like I said, Batman doesn't make me excited. For all I care he can walk into some doughnut related establishment (say Jolly Pirates for instance) and proceed to take a two hour long dump.

LOL BANDWAGON
The Otaku
Robot Master

« Reply #652 on: 25 July 2008, 05:46:05 »

Can you believe Jan Wahl from Kron 4 News gave 'The Dark Knight' two and a half 'hats' out of four?!

Jan Wahl is the so-called 'movie guru' of Kron 4, which is a San Franciscan news channel, just in case you Canadians or whatever-else-ians haven't heard of her. Her rating system uses hats because she's the only person in the studio who's always wearing a different dress hat every day, as she has cancer and is balding.

That cancer must really be getting to her.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #653 on: 25 July 2008, 14:31:39 »

You can't trust anyone's mind who's part of California show business.
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #654 on: 25 July 2008, 17:10:57 »

Not even my Sister?
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #655 on: 25 July 2008, 17:12:50 »

Cool.

I've gotten really interested in The Watchmen as of late and I'm going to buy the comic soon. It better be as awesome as you all say it is.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #656 on: 25 July 2008, 17:14:30 »

Cool.

I've gotten really interested in The Watchmen as of late and I'm going to buy the comic soon. It better be as awesome as you all say it is.

It's not "The Watchmen" it's just "Watchmen".

And this comic doesn't need a gun... To blow your mind.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #657 on: 25 July 2008, 18:09:01 »

Watchmen is awesome. I just finished it last night.

I plan on reading it again soon.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #658 on: 25 July 2008, 19:53:17 »

Yeah, as a kid I barely read comics, but still enough to have a general idea. And usually they were just like Spider-Man, and I just read them at a friend's house. Obviously reading random issues on random days isn't enough to get me into them.

...but lately, I keep getting interested in tons of them and I feel like I missed out on my childhood a bit.

Anyway, as I already said, Watchmen has caught my eye and next time I have a chance I'll definitely get it. Promise.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #659 on: 25 July 2008, 20:10:17 »

Promise.

YOU BETTER. OR ELSE...

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #660 on: 26 July 2008, 02:41:24 »

Cool.

I wanted to reread it today, because I never finished it the first time. We were sold out. Like everywhere is selling out of Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. Which is not unexpected as people are sheep. Sheep aren't people though. Interesting.

I think I'll just borrow it from a friend.

It's not "The Watchmen" it's just "Watchmen".

THANK you. That always pisses me off.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #661 on: 26 July 2008, 04:26:43 »

Well, this is one of the few comics I've been meaning to read for a long while now. Another one that's sparked my interest recently is Batman: The Long Halloween. But I hear it's similar to The Dark Knight anyway so I don't really care about that.

I've been wanting to read Watchmen since Simon Pegg mentioned and described it in some commentary or something, and he has good taste, and I don't mind being a sheeple if he's involved. And then you guys over here starting praising it, and that got me more interested. And now with the movie on the horizon it's finally enough to make me get off my ass and buy it.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #662 on: 26 July 2008, 05:31:41 »

It's called The Dark Knight Returns. "The Dark Knight" is just another name for Batman. The Long Halloween is supposed to be really good, yeah. The Dark Knight Strikes Again (the rushed sequel to DKR) sucks out loud after half of it apparently.

Watchmen is good, well... It's epic. And it pretty much changed the way comics were written. The movie LOOKS good. I don't know if it'll translate well to film with all the characters (Nite Owl, the girl who's name I forgot that wears the yellow thing, you know...) but I think the Doctor Manhattan and Rorschach stuff will be DAMN good. And The Comedian look almost more perfect than the rest, if that's possible.

Be warned though, Watchmen is a THICK read. It's very good, but very very wordy and it ain't short, really. I got a headache after reading up to Chapter 3 in one sitting, that was when I first starting working at the comic store.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #663 on: 26 July 2008, 05:35:09 »

Yeah, it took me an hour to read some of the chapters. The chapter ends are especially wordy.

the girl who's name I forgot that wears the yellow thing, you know...)

Silk Spetre.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #664 on: 26 July 2008, 16:20:21 »

Yeah, I read up on it and I know it's a long read. I actually sort of like that, and assuming I don't get REALLY into it and try to read it all in one sitting, I think it's better that I'll be able to take a long time to read it. Worth the money that way.

I used to read some mangas (like Ranma 1/2 and Dragon Ball) where I could blaze through them in literally less than an hour. Probably 30 minutes with some of them. And it kind of always left me feeling empty.

So something as filled and complex as this is very welcome.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #665 on: 26 July 2008, 16:45:40 »

Right, but Dragon Ball manga are like 80% pictures with like a few words MAYBE on each page...

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #666 on: 26 July 2008, 16:58:44 »

Which is exactly my point. That was implied in the statement that I can read through them in the blink of an eye.
I actually have a Japanese copy of the first Volume of Dragon Ball, and an American copy of it, and it's fun to look at what was censored and changed because there actually is quite a lot of differences. There's a lot of Bulma panty-shots that were edited in the American release.

Anyway, I'm up in Northern Michigan right now and there's no Borders or Barnes n' Nobles up here so I called a handful of nearby private booksellers, and everyone is sold out of Watchmen.

I really do feel like a sheep, now. Haha, whatever.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #667 on: 26 July 2008, 20:24:19 »

Get your comics at a real place, not some regular book store. They are snotty about that stuff and jack you on the prices.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #668 on: 26 July 2008, 21:10:37 »

My chances of finding an actual comic store up here is slim to none. It's not that this place is empty and there's nothing here, because it's not like that at all. There's plenty up here. It's just... good luck finding a Best Buy or a Gamestop or a Borders.
And that's not really a bad thing, either. I sort of like being away from all those stores.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand: I know of at least one comic shop back home and I'll be back around Monday. It's the place where I got my giant 10 inch Marvin action figure from Hitchhiker's Guide. I'll check that out first before I go to Barnes and Noble which is like five minutes from my house.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #669 on: 26 July 2008, 21:13:22 »

I'm having trouble NOT picturing Marvin like the movie version when I read the books.

I recently just got over imagining Ford Prefect as Mos Def.

I also keep imagining Zaphod with one head and two arms, just because sometimes it's hard to wrap my head around all that extra business. Plus he sometimes looks like Jones from Captain Star in my head, and I don't like that.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #670 on: 26 July 2008, 21:18:03 »

I don't mind the movie-version of Marvin, it's really not a bad design, plus Douglas Adams is the one who made the original design for it when he was planning the movie.

When I read the books, though, I don't seem to think of them as the movie counterparts because I read the books a huge amount of times before the movie came out so it didn't really affect me. Plus I'd listened to the radio series a ton of times and Ford couldn't sound any more British and not-Mos Def-like in those.

I still say that the very first 6-episode Radio Series is the best incarnation of Hitchhiker's Guide.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #671 on: 26 July 2008, 21:21:28 »

I do like the design, but I don't want to converge all my imagination to what I saw in the commercial for the movie, you know? I know all the Hitchiker versions are contradictory so I don't want to conform them.

And Ford sounding Brit definitely helped me get away from imagining Mos. Although it would be funny.

I'm sure I won't ever listen to the radio series or watch the show, just because, but I really want to see the movie when I'm done.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #672 on: 26 July 2008, 21:28:21 »

I still have the show on VHS and the only VHS-player in the house is usually not working correctly. I should get it on DVD because I've tried to rewatch it several times and I've always just given up with the VHS-player every time.

And the radio series is definitely worth a listen just because of how great it is. There's a second series which really messes with the plot of the books if that's what you're used to, and then they fixed it again for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th radio series that were made after Douglas Adams died, each based off of the corresponding books.

The show is only good for diehard fans, so don't bother with that. The movie is REALLY Hollywood and has a totally different vibe for the most part, but I sort of like it in its own way. A lot of my friends saw it and never read the books, so they didn't like it. And everyone who read the books and saw agreed that it wasn't as good as the books. So, the movie is stuck in a sad limbo.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #673 on: 26 July 2008, 21:42:02 »

VHS-player

It's called a VCR!

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #674 on: 26 July 2008, 21:44:14 »

I couldn't remember!

How #####ing sad is that?! I honestly couldn't remember.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #675 on: 26 July 2008, 21:44:58 »

It's OK, I just forgot about how cameras used film at one time.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #676 on: 28 July 2008, 02:01:40 »

Today I ordered Watchmen online since that appeared to be my only option.

I also saw Step Brothers. Not good. I laughed at some parts, but honestly, the biggest laughs I had were in the trailer. I'd give it a 4/10.
I'm beginning to think that I really only liked Will Ferrel in Anchorman and nothing else.

Next on the agenda is the new X-Files, Hellboy II, and I still sort-of want to see Journey to the Center of the Earth if only for the dinosaur.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #677 on: 28 July 2008, 02:58:21 »

So earlier today that new Knight Rider movie was on TV. It was alright, and the new KITT was kinda cool. Not as cool as the original Trans Am, but Mustangs are cool enough. They kept it with a red light thing at the front of the car, which is nice, but it's a bit different, which is good. I missed the first half of it but was good for a TV Movie/Straight to DVD thing.

I have a pass to Pineapple Express on wednesday, but I need to find someone to go with.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #678 on: 29 July 2008, 07:57:27 »

A GOOD looking Resident Evil movie.

Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #679 on: 29 July 2008, 08:20:27 »

Hey, that actually might not suck.
Watching it made me feel all tingly.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #680 on: 29 July 2008, 12:51:29 »

I don't know what to expect from it, seeing as I've heard all the others sucked and haven't bothered to go watch them (not interested in RE). But I'm getting a FF:Spirits Within feeling, it kind of throws you off, having like 4 RE's in live action and then this on in CG, but then again, it looks really good.

LOL BANDWAGON
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #681 on: 29 July 2008, 14:23:38 »

Considering it's CG, it may not suck.
Just watching Leon cap some Zombies (a Leon that LOOKS like Leon) brings back a bunch of RE4 memories.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #682 on: 29 July 2008, 19:06:50 »

I was just about to post that :P

I think it looks good.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #683 on: 29 July 2008, 19:22:22 »

I watched the trailer without sound a few days ago and it looked pretty cool. It looks faithful to the games, at least. I'm not a big RE fan but I can tell that fans of the games are going to eat this up.

Also, having no sound on your computer is a total bummer.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #684 on: 30 July 2008, 22:37:25 »

So I went to buy myself a cordless phone, as I'll need one in college (room requirement to have a phone, and I went with a cordless one as it was 1 dollar more). Then I stopped at Goodwill on the way back, went to check out the tapes. I bought "The Fox and The Hound" for 4 dollars.

I just finished watching it.
I cried when Lady Mc.Widow dropped Tod off in the woods.
I LOVE "THE FOX AND THE HOUND."

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #685 on: 31 July 2008, 00:01:28 »

M. Night Shyamaladingdong to direct live-action movie of "Avatar: The Last Airbender."

If anyone knows how to correctly respond to this, let me know.

EDIT:
My thoughts: "Avatar: The Last Movie Shyamalan Makes Before Everyone Stops Taking Him Seriously."

Seriously... "he doesn't bend air, there were aliens all alooooong! And he was dead the whole time!"
« Last Edit: 31 July 2008, 00:15:29 by ASR » Logged

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #686 on: 31 July 2008, 00:25:36 »

WHAT A TWIST!

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #687 on: 31 July 2008, 04:12:23 »

Right. If it's anything like the actual show, I'll have to wait #####ing months for each half hour of story. Even though I love the show.

Couple weeks ago I got a pass for Pineapple Express, which was tonight. I really liked it. It's a bit different that other movies with Seth Rogan in them, but man... For a movie where there's a lot of ridiculous fights/situations, that was REALLY damn realistic. Like, everytime you're like "What would happen in REAL life is blah blah blah" is pretty much how things work. Like you know how in most movies somehow random people just know how to fight all of sudden?

No dice. This is like real life where people fight awkward and do random stuff. I don't want to say too much, but I just thought the whole thing was very true to life even though the stuff that happens is nuts. Hard to explain.

Good movie. Love it.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #688 on: 31 July 2008, 04:59:23 »

It's got great pre-release reviews and I've heard nothing but great things about it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Glad it was good.

I had to see The Dark Knight again to get the bad taste of Step Brothers out of my head, so another good movie would do me well. I just re-watched Knocked Up last night, too. Another good one.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #689 on: 31 July 2008, 05:01:37 »

I "watched" the commentary for that and for Superbad while drawing on Saturday. Both were great.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #690 on: 31 July 2008, 05:03:09 »

The Superbad commentary is great because Jonah Hill isn't allowed to swear for the most part.

Haven't watched the Knocked Up commentary, but I've been very very bored lately with absolutely nothing to do so it's inevitable because I only brought a handful of movies up here.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #691 on: 31 July 2008, 05:04:41 »

Commentary's are great to draw while listening to. If they're funny. Don't EVER try to watch the Anchorman commentary. It is so awful I could've fallen asleep and I had to turn it off before half way, and I finish everything.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #692 on: 31 July 2008, 05:09:47 »

The collector's edition Hot Fuzz DVD I have has like 5 different commentaries. And so far they're all great. Either funny or very insightful.

The one with Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino is basically just them showing off their vastly inhuman knowledge of movies, though, so it's almost annoying because they know way more than anybody should know about movies.

Anyway, yeah, I used to leave commentaries on while studying. Haven't done it in a long time (obviously it's summer, but I mean I didn't do it much near the end of last school year.)

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #693 on: 31 July 2008, 05:12:19 »

Kevin Smith movies have good commentaries. Clerks 2 has a-w-e-s-o-m-e ones.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #694 on: 31 July 2008, 05:13:35 »

I still haven't seen that! I really really need to. Thanks for reminding me.

I wonder if I can get Clerks 1 and 2 cheap on DVD together.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #695 on: 31 July 2008, 05:17:56 »

If you're gonna get the first Clerks movie, get Clerks X (pronounced Clerks ten, but I don't pronounce it like that 'cause it's kind of stupid) which is the 10th anniversary edition that has the original ending Miramax rejected and a cartoon of what happened when Dante and Randall went to the funeral. A good edition.

And Clerks 2 is just great. It's Kevin Smith's favourite of his View Askewniverse stuff, I believe. Scott Mosier too. At least it is compared to the first Clerks, for both of them. When you watch it on DVD, ALWAYS play whatever thing you're about to play with the introduction, when available, as those are great too.

I need to buy the Clerks cartoon on DVD. And Mallrats. And Dogman. And J&Bob. And Chasing Amy. And maybe Jersey Girl. In that order (Mallrats and Clerks cartoon can switch positions though).

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #696 on: 31 July 2008, 15:37:01 »

I have Dogma already, I love that movie. Even though I've already seen Clerks a ton, I want to buy it before I buy Clerks 2 and I really don't know why. After Clerks and Clerks 2, I'll get Mallrats. Then wait a while.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #697 on: 31 July 2008, 22:57:16 »

Mallrats is my favourite but the only Kevin Smith movies I own are Clerks (X) and Clerks 2 for some reason. I like them all...

... even Jersey Girl.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #698 on: 31 July 2008, 22:58:11 »

I'm pretty sure I've only seen Clerks and Dogma. Which bothers me, because I know I'm missing out.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #699 on: 31 July 2008, 23:06:31 »

Jay and Bob was the first I saw. It's really only for fans of all the other movies (anything that happened before Jersey Girl) but it stands up on it's own if you like that sort of thing (it's mostly THEIR kind of humour, obviously, as opposed to what the other movies are like) and I always find it hilarious, even when I saw it without seeing any of the ones before it.

Clerks and Mallrats happen on the same day, or Mallrats is possibly the day before.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string