MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 10:57:15
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856383 times)
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2350 on: 5 June 2010, 18:30:18 »

Agreed. I totally see why it's become labeled as the "oh, your girlfriend doesn't like comics? Just have her read this" comic. I do love it, though. It's made me laugh on multiple occasions.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2351 on: 5 June 2010, 19:06:20 »

I always joked that it was for girls. And it's not but it walks a fence with a lean to the girl side.

His other book, Life At Sea, was similar but definitely more of a girls' sort of thing.

Oh yeah.
I watched the Hitchhiker's movie with my girlfriend the other day. It was pretty good, but not nearly as funny as it should've been.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2352 on: 5 June 2010, 19:56:43 »

Yeah, it wasn't as subtle and intelligent as the books. Still funny, and still good, but it missed the mark on the BOOK'S type of humor. There's other things that seem off about it that I can't quite put my finger on, but at this point I just don't care.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2353 on: 8 June 2010, 00:03:32 »

It's also just weird for introducing the towel thing and then never talking about it. It's stuff like that what was weird.

But yeah I really liked it, despite everyone but Arthur and Marvin being American(ized) and having that gun maguffin.

Posted on:  5 June 2010, 22:35:24

Random side comment.

It's funny read Scott Pilgrim, sometimes they use real names like Yonge Street, IGA, Licks Burger, and stuff that's pretty Canadian, and then every once in a while you get something like "Wander Bread" showing up.

'Sfunny to me.

Also, I have Scott's CBC shirt.
« Last Edit: 8 June 2010, 00:13:18 by Mikero » Logged

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2354 on: 11 June 2010, 00:24:08 »

WHO WANTS TO SEE STEP UP 3-D WITH ME?

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2355 on: 11 June 2010, 02:02:31 »

I have been non-stop making fun of that movie. I love that it exists.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2356 on: 12 June 2010, 22:38:21 »

Thing is Speed probably does want to see it.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2357 on: 13 June 2010, 02:32:33 »

The name "Channing Tatum" is probably the funniest name I have ever heard.

Posted on: 12 June 2010, 20:31:14

Oh, and I saw The Karate Kid. I liked it.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2358 on: 13 June 2010, 07:22:14 »

It looks good and #####, it's The Karate Kid. If someone expects a big twist or something they're an idiot. I may be drunk but that doesn't mean they're not a ree.

Also Channing Tatum is a weirdass.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2359 on: 14 June 2010, 06:41:42 »

Thing is Speed probably does want to see it.

Only after I get done seeing Letters to Juliet again.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2360 on: 16 June 2010, 13:11:54 »

Splice was soooooo bad. The music was annoying, the spliced person thing was stupid and annoying, and the characters constantly made illogical decisions.

Also, anybody who has taken a college level bio course will just want to punch all of those "scientists" in the face.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2361 on: 16 June 2010, 19:44:05 »

Yup. The movie did not make sense.
I'd say go read Frankenstein.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2362 on: 16 June 2010, 20:37:21 »

If you went to see Splice, it's your own damn fault.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2363 on: 17 June 2010, 00:41:22 »

I'm just saying. It was bad.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2364 on: 17 June 2010, 00:45:38 »

And that movie was a waste of time. It was embarrassingly awkwardly hilariously bad.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2365 on: 17 June 2010, 03:11:01 »

With that many adverbs one would hope so.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2366 on: 17 June 2010, 03:20:35 »

You are incapable of watching it and not agreeing.

Also, pointless sex and rape.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2367 on: 18 June 2010, 08:53:40 »

I just saw your status on Facebook. My god, you really are pissed about this. This isn't even a movie that LOOKED good and offers the anger of disappointment. This movie looked lame from the get-go, predictably ended up being terrible, and was somehow still bad enough to piss you off this much.

I approve of this movie!

Posted on: 16 June 2010, 23:58:23

Toy Story 3.

TOPS.

Better than the first two combined.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2368 on: 18 June 2010, 23:46:50 »

Yeah seriously John... YOU #####ed up. Not them.

Deal with it.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2369 on: 19 June 2010, 08:27:23 »

TOY STORY 3:

[spoiler]When Baby picked up Lotso and threw him into the dumpster I was like "THAT IS SO DARTH VADER"[/spoiler]

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #2370 on: 4 July 2010, 21:41:49 »

I saw Toy Story 3 on my birthday. It was amazing.

I cried manly tears of manliness.

ah who am i kidding they were pussy womanly tears

Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #2371 on: 5 July 2010, 22:40:06 »

I saw the movie, too. It was really great. Brought back a lot of memories from the first two.
[spoiler]What language doez Buzz speak in the English version when he turns into a spanish-y flamingo dancer? He spoke spanish with a spanish accent on the spanish version. And it was hilarious.[/spoiler]
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2372 on: 6 July 2010, 00:50:19 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oApAjJkZWio

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2373 on: 6 July 2010, 06:01:34 »

404'd.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a YouTube problem... not sure when it'll be fixed.
EDIT2: Now it's fixed.
« Last Edit: 6 July 2010, 07:03:47 by NovaMan XP » Logged
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2374 on: 6 July 2010, 15:00:38 »

I love Buzz's Spanish mode. The whole movie was great.

On a side note, I have one friend who said it sucked and I was all "waaaaaaat"

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2375 on: 6 July 2010, 15:25:21 »

I don't know why anyone would watch Toy Story 3 if they were predisposed to saying it sucks no matter how good it is.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2376 on: 6 July 2010, 15:31:12 »

What language doez Buzz speak in the English version when he turns into a spanish-y flamingo dancer? He spoke spanish with a spanish accent on the spanish version. And it was hilarious.

Interesting how they handled that. The movie's in Spanish, just make him MORE spanish!
« Last Edit: 6 July 2010, 23:20:03 by Johncarllos » Logged

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2377 on: 6 July 2010, 17:07:53 »

I think a part of me was curiously wondering how they would handle scenes like that in foreign languages.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2378 on: 6 July 2010, 17:21:24 »

Maybe because there's that many spanish speaking people? Maybe?

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #2379 on: 6 July 2010, 22:59:15 »

Well, they couldn't make him not spanish, he was speaking all spanish bull##### and dancing Flamenco.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2380 on: 6 July 2010, 23:00:50 »

I don't know what you're on about, OnlyChild.

Well, they couldn't make him not spanish, he was speaking all spanish bull##### and dancing Flamenco.

I want to learn that dance.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2381 on: 6 July 2010, 23:09:20 »

Maybe because there's that many spanish speaking people? Maybe?

...wut?

I don't understand what you said, but something tells me the answer is: No.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2382 on: 10 July 2010, 23:54:33 »

I picked up an absolute #####-ton of movies during the final days of the two Movie Gallery video rental stores in my area. Normally I'd just list everything, but that would make this post ridiculously long, so I'm going to attach a file.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2383 on: 12 July 2010, 18:37:26 »

Saw The Last Airbender, it sucked, they skipped so much, the movie would be a lot better if they went along with the cartoon.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2384 on: 14 July 2010, 19:55:10 »

Here's a picture of the Movie Gallery collection that I took for an article I wrote.

ENVY ME!

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2385 on: 14 July 2010, 19:58:12 »

Well.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2386 on: 15 July 2010, 05:15:04 »

G.I. Jesus?

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2387 on: 15 July 2010, 05:29:22 »

It's about a legal Mexican immigrant who tries to become a U.S. citizen by joining the armed forces.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2388 on: 16 July 2010, 18:39:26 »

I'm assuming they thought of the title first and then worked backwards. (I'm mildly disappointed it's not a crazy-premised B-movie.)

Posted on: 15 July 2010, 12:11:15

Inception. Perfect. New Top 5 favorite movie.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2389 on: 16 July 2010, 22:51:44 »

Just got back from watching it.

I liked it.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2390 on: 18 July 2010, 18:53:41 »

I saw it as well last night, very good movie. I didn't expect it to be that good.

Signature:
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2391 on: 18 July 2010, 20:11:08 »

No, not perfect. It was very enjoyable.

The way I understood it,
[spoiler]If they were worried about dying in a dream, and wanted to back out, they could've done what Ariadne did and fall off a high building and wake up before the fall killed her.

Fischer could've looked over his shoulder and recognized Cobb sitting there right behind him at the end of the dream. He also would've realized it wasn't just a dream within a dream as his "subconscious" had supposedly informed him. He would've been confused, and he would've been looking around.

So perfect? I'd say no.[/spoiler]

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2392 on: 18 July 2010, 20:21:39 »

An article that I totally didn't write

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2393 on: 18 July 2010, 22:31:08 »

No, not perfect. It was very enjoyable.

The way I understood it,
[spoiler]If they were worried about dying in a dream, and wanted to back out, they could've done what Ariadne did and fall off a high building and wake up before the fall killed her.

Fischer could've looked over his shoulder and recognized Cobb sitting there right behind him at the end of the dream. He also would've realized it wasn't just a dream within a dream as his "subconscious" had supposedly informed him. He would've been confused, and he would've been looking around.

So perfect? I'd say no.[/spoiler]

"Perfect" is always a bad word to use and I should know that by now, but you know what I mean when I say it. Essentially I'm saying "I seriously loved this movie so goddamn much."

This was a quality piece of a filmmaking, and the reasons you just listed off as criteria against its quality are nothing more than just personal preferences or misunderstandings you've had with the movie. For every question I've had about the plot, some time thinking or discussing has resolved the problems.

[spoiler]I don't quite understand what you're saying about Ariadne jumping being applicable to everyone else - that's not the case. Maybe if you explain what you're talking about a little more I could try to figure out the answer.

As for the issue with Fisher recognizing Cobb: they actually address this in the movie. When Cobb is passing by everyone at the end through luggage claim, Fisher notices him and makes an expression that implies he recognizes him from somewhere other than just the airplane. It's a nice little moment which is NOT meant to insinuate that the inception didn't work, but instead just a thing someone in Fisher's position WOULD probably do. He'd think, "Hey, that guy was in my dream..." but he probably wouldn't take it any further than that.
As for the problem with Fisher realizing what he thought was reality in the dream (on the shore near the bridge) was not actually reality (once he woke up in the airplane) - don't be nitpicky. Obviously when he wakes up he realizes that it was still part of a dream, but none of that matters since the idea was planted and who cares what the hell he was dreaming. It doesn't retroactively destroy anything because he won't figure out exactly what happened. It's just a dream to him. He doesn't know that the dream specifically changed his thought-process.[spoiler]

Anyway, I just really enjoyed this movie. I already know it's one of my favorites. I've always been a fan of Nolan's - Memento is absolutely fantastic, I love The Prestige, and obviously I like his Batman movies even if I don't like them as much as everyone else - and this is a movie of his that really meshed with me moreso than his others.

Hope it does well in the box office.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2394 on: 19 July 2010, 05:07:42 »

Logic isn't a personal preference...

[spoiler]They were talking about being trapped in the dream when they apparently weren't, is what I mean, because they couldn't risk being killed and being stuck in some void. And they were in accelerated time all the way down there, yet Ariadne wasn't there very long at all because she jumped and that woke her up to the 3rd level. Anyone else could've done that to go up a level. Not that they would, to be fair. It's just weird that she could do that outside of what was actually established.

Why wouldn't he take the thought further? He was told, in his dream, that he was dreaming. That would mess with anyone, at least long enough for a paranoid glance-around. I think it's a little hole that could've been filled if it'd been addressed sooner.[/spoiler]

When a movie is high quality the ONLY mistakes are nitpicky, anyway. If I said it was bad that would be entirely personal preference, because there's not much really wrong with the movie. It kept my interest. It was oppressive, kind of, with the length of the action and the timed events, but I still really liked it. I'd buy it.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2395 on: 19 July 2010, 16:13:34 »

Four new Criterion Collection releases for this fall!

http://networkedblogs.com/5YjTA

I can't wait for the 2-disc of The Darjeeling Limited!

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2396 on: 19 July 2010, 17:04:41 »

Logic isn't a personal preference...

[spoiler]They were talking about being trapped in the dream when they apparently weren't, is what I mean, because they couldn't risk being killed and being stuck in some void. And they were in accelerated time all the way down there, yet Ariadne wasn't there very long at all because she jumped and that woke her up to the 3rd level. Anyone else could've done that to go up a level. Not that they would, to be fair. It's just weird that she could do that outside of what was actually established.

Why wouldn't he take the thought further? He was told, in his dream, that he was dreaming. That would mess with anyone, at least long enough for a paranoid glance-around. I think it's a little hole that could've been filled if it'd been addressed sooner.[/spoiler]

When a movie is high quality the ONLY mistakes are nitpicky, anyway. If I said it was bad that would be entirely personal preference, because there's not much really wrong with the movie. It kept my interest. It was oppressive, kind of, with the length of the action and the timed events, but I still really liked it. I'd buy it.

I'll give you that there's a lot of things that don't seem obvious at first and still a ton of things I haven't figured out, but I do trust the movie that everything makes sense. It always felt one step ahead of the viewer and I'm going to trust it. However, yeah, there's a bunch of parts that feel like plot holes so you're right.

Anyway, to answer your questions about limbo:
[spoiler]If you die in the dream world while heavily sedated, you get sent to limbo and are unaware of how you got there. You don't remember you're in a dream. You get lost and stuck there and accept it as your reality. If at some point you realize you're dreaming, the only way out is to kill yourself. This is what happened to Saito, who stayed there for so long that he grew old.
There are some exceptions: when Cobb and Mal first went to limbo, they were exploring the dream world. They found it by accident but were still aware they were in a dream. After spending so much time in limbo, Mal eventually accepted it as her reality - causing Cobb, who knew it was a dream - to plant the idea in her head that none of this was real.
The other exception is when Cobb and Ariadne follow Fisher into limbo to rescue him. I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe they were connected to Fisher's "dream" while he was "dead" in the snow fort because they didn't kill themselves to get to limbo... they simply were hooked up to the machine. Since they didn't get killed to go there, they were aware it was a dream which is why they did not get lost or stuck there.[/spoiler]

Posted on: 19 July 2010, 11:04:24

Oh, and I read the article Speed! Nice!
« Last Edit: 19 July 2010, 17:13:51 by ASR » Logged

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2397 on: 19 July 2010, 18:30:31 »

Excuse me for I've been away for a while, but I did see Inception.

Inception. Perfect. New Top 5 favorite movie.

DITTO.

I went in the theatre with Annie and others not knowing what I was walking into. She said I'd like it and at the beginning, with all the shooting and stealthness going around, I was into it.

Then my eyes were completely glued to that screen. I was SOOOO INTO IT.

[spoiler]At the very ending when they cut you off, a bunch of people (including myself) yelled out. Some said "OH COME ON" and I yelled "YOU'RE KIDDING ME".[/spoiler]

Oh, and that theatre was packed, so I was instantly given an impression that this movie was going to be good. I was wrong. IT WAS INCREDIBLY AWESOME.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2398 on: 19 July 2010, 19:02:43 »

[spoiler]That moment right when the credits rolled the audience as a whole did a huge friendly collective groan is one of my favorite theater experiences of all time.[/spoiler]

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2399 on: 19 July 2010, 20:19:03 »

Barnes & Noble is running a 50% off sale on all Criterion Collection DVDs and a bunch of 1st season TV show DVDs.

I picked up:

Beastie Boys Video Anthology
Blast of Silence
The Blob
Che
Gomorrah
Hoop Dreams
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom
Videodrome

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string