MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 07:48:47
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856364 times)
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1800 on: 22 June 2009, 17:12:26 »

That movie was garbage. I have no idea why people like it so much.

Today is my Takashi Miike marathon with friends. We'll be watching:

The Happiness of the Katakuris (I'm starting here to create a false sense of security)
Gozu
Audition
Ichi the Killer
Visitor Q

None of my guests have seen any of these films. I cautioned them that many of them were not for the faint of heart, but all claimed to be up to the challenge. I'm also providing various intoxicants for those who want to take the edge off, though in some cases I imagine they'll make things worse.

Happiness of the Katakuris is currently underway, and I predict that some folks here won't last through all five movies.
I'm interested to hear the excuses that come up.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #1801 on: 22 June 2009, 19:09:28 »

Hmm... interesting. What are those movies about?

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1802 on: 22 June 2009, 19:21:49 »

Yeah, explain.

Also: Napolean Dynamite is one of the worst movies I've ever had to sit through. It bothered me so much that it was as popular as it got.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1803 on: 22 June 2009, 19:40:41 »

The Happiness of the Katakuris is about a family that owns a hotel where people have a tendency to wake up dead the next morning, and their attempts to cover up said trend sort of spiral out of control.

Gozu is about... umm... I'm not really sure. The first quarter of the movie revolves around typical gang land Yakuza exploits, but takes a sharp turn into just plain weirdness. It's one of my favorite Miike films because it feels like a David Lynch parody of all things japanese horror. By the end of the film you get the impression that you just witnessed an in-joke that may or may not have been at your expense.

Audition is about a television director who's wife died before the events of the film. A friend of his suggests that he hold an audition for a character that possesses all the qualities he wants in a wife, and then pursue a relationship with the winner. He meets a nice young lady who is all he could ask for, and she opens up to him about abuse she was subjected to in the past. Asking him to "love only [her]", she becomes psychotic when she sees a picture of his dead wife in his house, and things go down hill from there.

Ichi the Killer is based on the manga of the same name. Kakihara is a sadomasochistic Yakuza enforcer who's boss Anjo split town with three-hundred-million yen. In his search for Anjo he learns of Ichi, a sadistic member of a rival gang who has a hard time differentiating between homicidal lust and sexual arousal. Kakihara then sets out to meet Ichi in hopes of experiencing ultimate pain.

Visitor Q... is... something else. It involves a stranger visiting a rich family and helping them change their broken lives through rather unorthodox means. If something could be called disturbing, it's in this film at some point. Before the stranger arrives: The son beats the mother regularly, the mother shoots heroin (though in this house, who could blame her?), the father gets rapped by a gang of teenagers, and the daughter prostitutes herself... to her father. Things just get weirder from there.

The last two movies would never have survived being made in the USA.
Modern gore-fests like Saw and Hostel have NOTHING on these movies in terms of disturbing imagery/violence.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1804 on: 22 June 2009, 20:00:01 »

Those all sound extremely interesting. I think I have to check them all out now.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1805 on: 22 June 2009, 20:07:01 »

I think they're the best of Miike's stuff. There's a lot of food for thought just below the harsh exterior.

You'll probably want to watch them in the order I've listed, as it helps you get adjusted to his style.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1806 on: 22 June 2009, 21:48:30 »

I've only seen half of Ichi The Killer but I liked it.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #1807 on: 22 June 2009, 22:40:53 »

Has anyone seen Gran Torino? I hear its a good movie.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1808 on: 22 June 2009, 23:34:07 »

NO. IT WAS AN AWESOME MOVIE.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1809 on: 23 June 2009, 00:14:47 »

Weird. When I was at the video store some kids wouldn't shut up about it. And I was like "I'm pretty sure that's not for kids dad who is renting it" in my head. I obviously didn't say this. I don't really like movies BY Clint Eastwood since I saw the piece of ##### called Million Dollar Baby.

Anyway I'm beyond #####ing pissed off right now. On friday I got a ticket to see the new Transformers movie tonight, which I REALLY want to see, but I forgot about it. I get a called from my friend at 6:30 reminding me and saying that they're saving my seat right now. So I race over to the theatre with my admit one advance screening pass and there's a line because they overbooked. I stand in this line until there's ten minutes before the movie starts, and they're not telling anyone #####.

Ends up they're letting no one in and then best they can offer is you write your name down on some sheet and they'll give you a free one later or something. Well I said ##### that and came home, I want to see it with people, not #####ing alone. And it's total bull##### because I know for a fact that my seat is saved.

They movie  started 13 minutes ago.
I'm beyond pissed off at myself and everything.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1810 on: 23 June 2009, 00:57:43 »

Shame. It's out TODAY? Why so early?

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #1811 on: 23 June 2009, 01:06:56 »

That's what I said too, but its the same date were am at tho....

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #1812 on: 23 June 2009, 01:37:29 »

Sneak previews aren't unheard of.

How do they overbook something? It's not like they don't have a seat count for every single auditorium.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1813 on: 23 June 2009, 04:45:37 »

It's NOT out today. It's out on Wednesday or something. As I said, it was an "advanced screening". I get these all the time from work, but it was a big weekend and I forgot.

And this is what they do, they do it every time but I've never been too late and not for a movie  I was REALLY excited for; They always put out more passes than seats. Always. It's to ensure that people come, radio stations give them out and places like my store get them sent from whoever makes the movie I guess. It makes sense for movies like Love Guru and such, but it's stupid to do it for the movies that will obviously fill up.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #1814 on: 23 June 2009, 05:34:12 »

Yeah, explain.

Also: Napolean Dynamite is one of the worst movies I've ever had to sit through. It bothered me so much that it was as popular as it got.

With all the hype, I sat down to watch the movie and I never finished it. It was that bad.

And everyone around school would make immature cracks like, "LOL, YOU LOOK LIKE NAPOELAN", and I really really don't. Mostly the immature jocks that still (Yes, they graduated) act like they're five. I also feel wearing a shirt like "Vote for Pedro" is like having a beacon that flashes "I'M A TOOL".

There's just some things in the world I don't understand...

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1815 on: 23 June 2009, 19:02:59 »

Forgot to update:

Three of the original seven people stuck around for all five movies. One left during Gozu because watching a woman lactate was more than she was interested in. Another left during Audition, because watching a maimed gimp eat vomit from a dog dish was too much. And two more left during one of Ichi the Killer's torture scenes (the one with meat hooks). The three remaining individuals and I had a conversation about the various themes and implications of the ideas presented in the films, though Gozu ended up dominating most of the conversation.

Three words:

Anal Ladle Electrocution.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1816 on: 23 June 2009, 19:05:21 »

I would not enjoy those films.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1817 on: 23 June 2009, 19:09:53 »

The really gross moments are usually pretty brief. Honestly, it not like I enjoy watching a maimed gimp eat vomit from a dog dish. But it DOES serve a purpose in the story, and the overall product is greater than its disturbing moments.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1818 on: 23 June 2009, 19:17:23 »

I believe you.

I still probably won't ever see them.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1819 on: 23 June 2009, 19:59:34 »

Believable, as they're the kind of movie you have to actively seek out.

Not the kind of thing you'll stumble across while channel surfing.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #1820 on: 23 June 2009, 21:24:53 »

Tonight, am sooooo going to see the midnight showing to Transformers 2, but its going to be SUPER PACKED so am going to buy the tickets like 3hrs ahead of time so I won't have to kill mo-fos for it..

Signature:
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #1821 on: 24 June 2009, 09:46:10 »

My thoughts about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

It was okay.

All in all, I was disappointed by it. It isn't bad, but it isn't nearly as good as the first one. New Autobots and Decepticons are thrown into the mix without you being told what their names are even though a bunch of them hang around until the final act (for instance, there's a new Autobot that's a silver car whose name isn't given until the end, and I'm not sure if it is Bolt or Jolt). The movie's plot, which is too long for its own good and feels like it should be a plot for the cartoon show, not the movie, feels like it's barely there. It's there and I understand it, but for the first hour it feels like the movie goes no where and throughout its held together with explosions.

The movie tries to be like Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, but it felt more like Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (except Mortal Kombat: Annihilation sucked to no end).

Was it fun? Sure.

Do I want to buy the toys? Heck yeah. Especially Jetfire.

Do I want to see it again in the theaters? Not really, unless it is on an IMAX screen.

See it on the big screen once; that's all you'll need.

---------

New films for the library!

Amazing Grace
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Hunt for Red October

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #1822 on: 24 June 2009, 15:55:38 »

I saw it as well, I liked the movie all around altho I did feel that they rushed a few parts in the movie, but overall I the fighting was awesome, other than that I really have nothing to bitch about.

Signature:
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1823 on: 24 June 2009, 21:45:33 »

I don't even want to see this one because I still have no idea what was going on in the first.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #1824 on: 25 June 2009, 05:48:28 »

I just plain don't want to see it.

I'd say I'm boycotting Transformers but I don't pay to see movies anyway.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1825 on: 25 June 2009, 06:28:34 »

#####. I really want to see it.

#####ing Ravage is in it!

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1826 on: 25 June 2009, 09:25:32 »

I want to know when they're going to put Moulin Rouge on blu-ray. I loved that movie, and as visually stunning as it was, I can only imagine how it will look in 1080p.

I've seen "Coming Soon" features on demo discs at Target and FYE since early 2008.

Clearly, I have a different definition of "soon" than they do. I'm okay with them taking their time, but an actual release date would be nice, even if it's only projected.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #1827 on: 25 June 2009, 19:50:03 »

I want a blu-ray player.

Signature:
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1828 on: 26 June 2009, 00:53:38 »

I never actually saw Moulin Rouge. I think it has something but not all to do with Christina Agwhu being in that song.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1829 on: 26 June 2009, 01:12:31 »

She had nothing to do with the movie, so fear not.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #1830 on: 26 June 2009, 03:36:47 »

So, tonight, I went to go see Transformers with Annie.

Approximately 30 minutes in the movie, we got up and left. Asked for a refund and everything (we got free movie tickets instead).

Can't tell you if it was "bad" by a review, but it was FILLED with sexual content and other crap that I didn't want to expect or see. I haven't seen the first one, but she kept telling me the first one was NOTHING like this one.

So yeah, I'm disgusted about Transformers for that reason.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Ikeoko
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1831 on: 26 June 2009, 03:57:19 »

Disgusting movie.

~ ♥ ~ ANNIE ~ ♥ ~

/l、
                    ゙(゚、 。 7            
                       l、゙ ~ヽ
                       じしf_, )ノ   kitteh!
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1832 on: 26 June 2009, 04:09:39 »

I am so ashamed of knowing both of you.

You can hate Transformers 2 for almost any reason and I would be extremely happy with you... but being OFFENDED by it?

I haven't seen it yet and I'm not looking forward to it, but I WILL be seeing it. I don't have a problem with it, and I'll probably enjoy it, but I'm getting really sick of all the hype.

Most of my friends saw it and LOOOOOVED it, like they won't shut up. It's annoying. But they'll see it again and I'll probably end up going with them.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1833 on: 26 June 2009, 04:24:49 »

BE ASHAMED OF YOUR SEXUALITY!
REPRESS NATURAL FEELINGS!

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #1834 on: 26 June 2009, 04:29:56 »

That's not it Edge. We're offended because we're not pigs who don't want to be involved with that disgusting crap and want something more wholesome than dirt (Not saying either of you are, I just don't want to see that).

It was ONLY 30 minutes in the movie and aside from a few action scenes, it was just everywhere. If it wasn't in your face, it was in the background.

I know you would especially be all like, "wat is this i dont even", but whatever. I could try tuning out a little, but it was blatantly everywhere and I didn't want to be watching that garbage.

We'll just use the tickets on the new Ice Age movie when it's available.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #1835 on: 26 June 2009, 04:44:24 »

It's not so much the sexual content I mind, I just hate the message it's trying to send to people regarding the subject, and it's also partly the fact that they did it to a respectable franchise. I don't know. This is a movie about Transformers, and somehow they made it about this douchebag boy and his ridiculously unrealistic love-interest sex-appeal model who's name I only know because guys won't shut the ##### up about her.

So yeah, I am kind of offended. It ticks me off. No apologies

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1836 on: 26 June 2009, 04:57:12 »

I really am not spectacularly turned on by Megan Fox.

I don't really see it.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #1837 on: 26 June 2009, 05:04:25 »

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1838 on: 26 June 2009, 05:21:46 »

Yeah.
Kinda like that.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1839 on: 26 June 2009, 05:39:53 »

Megan Fox is apparently going to be the next Lara Croft in a Tomb Raider sequel.

I hate her face, but I like her body.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1840 on: 26 June 2009, 05:47:04 »

We're offended because we're not pigs who don't want to be involved with that disgusting crap and want something more wholesome than dirt.

It's not so much the sexual content I mind, I just hate the message it's trying to send to people regarding the subject

This is why I said what I did. A simple "It didn't make sense" or "sex for the sake of sex is pointless" I totally would have understood, but both of these statements seem like moral outrage, which is what I'm poking fun at.

Don't take it personally, it's just my personality.

You'd do well to not give a ##### what I think.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #1841 on: 26 June 2009, 05:59:18 »

I wasn't even responding to your post, but that's alright. I don't think I'm "morally outraged" exactly but I suppose I am acting like it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Megan Fox's appearance but she's just another good-looking woman to me. Like, I don't drool over people like that unless I actually LIKE them. (Have a feeling Mike's going to say something along the lines of 'Most people aren't crazy like that but people still like to talk about it' which is undoubtedly true, it's just annoying that whenever the subject of girls comes up it's never anything particularly interesting to listen to. And no that quote isn't supposed to sound anything like you, Mike, it's more of a clairvoyant paraphrasing attempt)

The last movie I'll have seen for a while is Up anyway. Keep wanting to see The Green Mile, I've also wanted to re-watch The Lion King, but I'll never get around to that.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2009, 06:05:39 by Majikn » Logged

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #1842 on: 26 June 2009, 06:37:16 »

Megan Fox is apparently going to be the next Lara Croft in a Tomb Raider sequel.

I hate her face, but I like her body.

Then the body would be a waste if there's no face to match it with tho!!

Signature:
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1843 on: 26 June 2009, 06:47:14 »

Not if you do it doggy-style!

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #1844 on: 26 June 2009, 06:51:43 »

What wrong with putting a bag over her head? And then you can do all the endless styles there is in the damn book.

Signature:
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #1845 on: 26 June 2009, 06:56:34 »

I find bags distracting.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1846 on: 26 June 2009, 07:56:51 »

I am so ashamed of knowing both of you.

Seconded.

Seriously guys. What the #####?

Edit: I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG. LOOK AT THIS GUYS. DISGUSTING!

« Last Edit: 26 June 2009, 08:04:39 by preventerWIND » Logged

LOL BANDWAGON
Ikeoko
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1847 on: 26 June 2009, 13:11:04 »

Well maybe we are the only ones left with morals then...

This world has so many problems because people don't have morals anymore.

~ ♥ ~ ANNIE ~ ♥ ~

/l、
                    ゙(゚、 。 7            
                       l、゙ ~ヽ
                       じしf_, )ノ   kitteh!
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #1848 on: 26 June 2009, 13:57:49 »

Yes, the world is a foul place, so consistently full of rape and slaughter and all KINDS of crazy acts you haven't even SEEN!

I threw my mother into a large tank full of piranhas. THEN, I POURED SULPHURIC ACID INTO THE TANK.

DIE, FRESHWATER PREDATORS!!! THAT'S FOR ATTACKING MY MOM!!!

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1849 on: 26 June 2009, 17:11:59 »

Wind, wat.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string