MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
27 April 2024, 20:43:08
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856297 times)
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2500 on: 3 September 2010, 03:43:22 »

I still need Rifftrax.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2501 on: 3 September 2010, 04:09:51 »

Dragonball Evolution, Vampires Suck...

These are movies I would not watch.

Anyway, I may be a lot of things, but I don't think I'm a prude or self-righteous. I just don't have a taste for that type of movie.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2502 on: 11 September 2010, 06:13:33 »

'Captain America'(MOVIE) Set Pics

http://www.myspace.com/everything/photo/2010/09/09/captain-america-set-pics#pm_cmp=mce_con_ent_ftop_MH_CAP

yea...

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2503 on: 20 September 2010, 11:14:12 »

Sometimes, what I want and what I need is some pretty explosions, big guns, good guys kicking ass and bad guys getting what's coming to them. I'm a fan of action movies, maybe even action B-movies and I don't like when precious explosion-shooty-time is wasted on story.

And in that sense Resident Evil and The Expendables delivered. Was a little disappointed though Willis only had a talky-part.

White Shadow
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2504 on: 20 September 2010, 15:14:41 »

Looks okay-ish...

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2505 on: 20 September 2010, 20:32:34 »

I went to see Resident Evil Afterlife, a lot of action, borrows stuff from RE5, but I honestly didn't see the movie was gonna end like that.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2506 on: 10 October 2010, 03:12:53 »

My girlfriend and I saw It's a Pretty Funny Story and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. Both are excellent films.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2507 on: 10 October 2010, 03:46:31 »

With both It's A Pretty Funny Story and It's Kind Of A Funny Story in theaters at the same time, I can only imagine it'll get a bit confusing.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2508 on: 10 October 2010, 06:40:46 »

I saw these guys sneaking into Pirahnas and I'm like dude you need 3D glasses for that and also I can see you I'm #####ing looking RIGHT AT YOU pulling the used glasses out of the recycling and then walking in and look we even made eye contact what the hell man

And then I realized I'm not in uniform I'm not working I'm in a cardigan vest and I don't even own a cardigan and I went home and played chess with myself

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #2509 on: 10 October 2010, 14:22:37 »

Saw Legend of the Guardians.  Oh, sorry, GAAAAAWDIANS.
Apparently I've been saying the word wrong this whole time, so it sure is a good thing I saw this.

It was kinda neat, though, and the screech owl guy was probably the best character.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2510 on: 10 October 2010, 16:22:25 »

I heard that was a pretty good movie too.

And it's okay. I apparently have had a problem saying one of the most basic words myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cyDsuNx_U

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2511 on: 12 October 2010, 16:31:14 »

With both It's A Pretty Funny Story and It's Kind Of A Funny Story in theaters at the same time, I can only imagine it'll get a bit confusing.

I had a conversation going while typing that message, so thank you for the correction.

Also, ##### you.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #2512 on: 13 November 2010, 06:37:25 »

KSO.

Having just moved into a new area, I decided to check out the Blockbuster down the street.. I now live in a surprisingly wealthy area so, damn, this store was top #####.. I ended up buying a Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead combo back for ten bucks, along with Joe Dirt for my girlfriend.. The big deal is that I also bought the Sergio Leone Collectors Anthology, which usually goes for about 70+ bucks, for 14.99. Hell, not even that! The employees must've been puffin' an' passin' all night because the cashier took off $5 from the Anth and a bit off the first two..

This is my Christmas gift to myself, THANK YOU ME! : )

LOL BANDWAGON
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2513 on: 22 February 2011, 03:12:19 »

My brother, my girlfriend, and I saw True Grit on Christmas Day. Excellent film; Jeff Bridges' performance is definitely better than John Wayne's.

Posted on: December 29, 2010, 02:16:23 PM

I'm writing a paper for my film class on the changes in American comedy pre-1945, mainly looking at Charlie Chaplin and the Marx brothers. So far today I've watched The Gold Rush and Animal Crackers. I may have to watch another Marx brothers film, a later non-Paramount Pictures one, because Animal Crackers is too close to the invention of sound in films, and I need to see if they switched their act up any once they went to another studio.

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #2514 on: 22 February 2011, 08:43:23 »

Harpo is my Jesus.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2515 on: 1 August 2011, 02:59:19 »

I watched Captain America and Cowboys and Aliens this weekend.

Captain America was what I expected, plus more line dancing than I was expecting.

Cowboys and Aliens, though. I don't even.
Very mixed feelings.
Part of me knows it's an awesome movie, and another part of me is still just confused by what happened.
It all makes sense in the theme of the movie, and it has some decent action sequences, but its just odd to see all the same old cowboy clichés in a movie that feels like a cross between skyline and the new show (whatever it is called) about humans fighting back against an invasion.

Also, Olivia Wilde is hot.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2516 on: 1 August 2011, 09:24:17 »

Cowboys and Aliens just thoroughly bored me.
You can't deliver a half-good experience and expect me to acknowledge only the good parts. I'd rather just cut it in half. If I keep looking at my watch, I KNOW my time was better spent.

I don't know. Maybe every movie I see just sucks these days, OR it's just me being cynical and hating on EVERYTHING. Or maybe I just keep getting bored in general with movies, and have trouble paying attention...

But I liked the last Harry Potter, actually. I was overall quite satisfied. I also came out of the theatre thinking that I experienced something actually unique... as in, never felt before in a theatre setting. That feeling was some really intense nostalgia. Toy Story 3 came close... but I think Harry Potter totally overwhelmed it.
« Last Edit: 1 August 2011, 09:29:27 by Majikn » Logged

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2517 on: 1 August 2011, 15:05:15 »

I looooved Cowboys and Aliens. Thought every minute of it was great fun. I'm very picky about what action movies I'll enjoy, and this one covered all my bases. I thought Captain America was pretty good, too, but nothing all that spectacular.

You know what was a DAMN fine movie, though? Midnight in Paris. I left the theater in a very uplifting and romantic mood and it stayed with me for the rest of the night. I really recommend it.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2518 on: 1 August 2011, 20:22:09 »

Remember when I said I hated Pirahnas 3D? Well, here's a gore flick with an actual PROPER tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFFh25DmPNU
Looks like the whole movie is in the trailer though.

I'd put Captain America beneath X-Men: First Class. It wasn't spectacular but it was a solid movie, start to finish. I actually feel like The Green Hornet was the second/third best "superhero" movie of this year, even though we should all rightly hate Seth Rogen by now.
I really didn't like Thor or The Green Lantern—those movies were all special effects and I'm never impressed by special effects alone... as far as I'm concerned you should be working hard on your visual effects anyway, whether it's CGI stuff or makeup or just lining up the shot or holding the camera correctly. It shouldn't be the number one reason you're making a movie, and it should NEVER be the best part.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #2519 on: 1 August 2011, 21:46:06 »

There were like three moments in Thor that had me doubled up in laughter; I spent the rest of the entire movie bored out of my skull. At no point was I genuinely excited or particularly involved.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2520 on: 1 August 2011, 22:43:19 »

I learned how to enjoy movies more:
Go see superhero and action movies and expect pointless action movies with good fight scenes.

Nothing fits that criteria like Crank though.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #2521 on: 2 August 2011, 07:22:23 »

The problem is that Thor didn't even have any decent action.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2522 on: 2 August 2011, 09:06:06 »

I feel like The Dark Knight should have changed things. Forever.
I don't necessarily mean Nolanized... I mean done right.

Iron Man came along, as well, and there was hope. Then there was Iron Man 2 and news of a Spider-Man reboot; a kick straight to Tobey Maguire's face—to which I approve. I realize I'm in a minority when I say that I approve, but I approve SO hard.

But now it's 2011, and look what we got this year.

People should have started taking their superhero characters seriously, man.

I watch a movie for a good story. I don't care what genre it is, or how much action there is. I just want a GOOD movie, start to finish.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2523 on: 2 August 2011, 18:05:08 »

Don't be so limiting on why you watch movies. Some movies have good stories, some movies have great visuals, some movies have snappy dialogue or funny jokes or tearjerking moments. Let yourself be surprised by what you see - don't limit yourself.

I thought Piranha 3D was brilliant. It was a lot of fun and I had a blast watching it. It might've been too tongue-in-cheek for its own good, but it had a lot of people I like in it and I was glad to see them dicking around in such a ridiculous movie. Obviously, it wasn't high art or anything like that, but I can't understand people who shut down movies like this, or Crank. You have to be able to tell the difference between a movie that just wants to have fun with itself (and accomplish what it set it out to do) and a movie that was made to make money.

That being said, Tucker and Dale VS Evil was great, and it towers above Piranha 3D as an actual quality movie. Very funny, too. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate Piranha 3D any less.

Anyway, the indie film I've been directing (and acting in) wraps up shooting on the 12th, which is terrifying and amazing to me. I get to start editing it soon. I hope I find a way to make sure all of you guys get to see it, because I'm rarely ever proud of my own work... and this time I am. Maybe it's just because such a huge amount of people are involved that I can't rag on it without bringing everyone else down with me.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2524 on: 2 August 2011, 19:33:24 »

I don't think I'm limiting myself. I'm just not a connoisseur. I'm the kind of guy that would almost never watch movies, but I'm literally surrounded by them because of where I work, and it's the only social thing I have available to me.

I go into any movie hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but mostly I'm just bored. I feel like praising everything is itself very limiting. You have a good point in that actors are allowed, and probably deserve to take on fun roles, but I really don't think the only alternative is a film "made to make money." I think all or at least most directors and producers and writers should already genuinely enjoy what they do. It's just that these people make tons of money NOT to screw anything up, and they can either resort to easy clichés that people always just gobble up, or they can make art. SOMETIMES the in-between is fun and worth watching, but I guess from there it really depends on my personal taste of what it actually is.

I admit to my own biases against certain types of films, anyway. Gore flicks no. I've never seen a horror flick in general that I thought was genuinely disturbing. Romantic comedies tend to be all the same.
I've invested a lot of my time into the superhero movies lately and I think that was probably just dumb of me to do.
I tend to enjoy animated movies, though. I tend to frown on 3D but I don't go out of my way to avoid it.

People spend money to watch these movies. I frankly don't need to spend a dime. All I offer is a few hours of my time that would probably not have been better spent anyway. That's the only reason I end up watching these movies. If they were not offered free I'd be all "This movie looks like crap," and I wouldn't see it at all. I could buy like a trade paperback novel for the price of a movie, and while THAT medium can also suffer from bad quality writing, there's less involved when it goes bad, and even when it does, I still feel like I'm at least exercising some part of my brain and fuelling my own imagination with ideas.

Professor Hazard
Noob

« Reply #2525 on: 2 August 2011, 20:16:29 »

SO... anybody seen that South Park episode where everything Stan sees reminds him of turds...?

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2526 on: 3 August 2011, 05:19:01 »

I learned how to enjoy movies more:
Go see superhero and action movies and expect pointless action movies with good fight scenes.

Nothing fits that criteria like Crank though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Crank: High Voltage was the best 90 minutes I've ever spent in a movie theater.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2527 on: 3 August 2011, 07:03:38 »

I agree with you 100%. My all-time favorite movie theater experience. I genuinely have pity for people who never got to see it in a theater filled with people just as surprised as you were.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #2528 on: 4 October 2011, 02:32:10 »

So... the Arrested Development movie is definitely a-go!

Better yet, there will 10 episodes made that willl ead up to the movie!

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2529 on: 5 October 2011, 15:33:33 »

I saw The Wiz. I really enjoyed it.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2530 on: 5 October 2011, 15:57:13 »

Drive.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2531 on: 11 October 2011, 02:54:16 »

Attack The Block.

I love it.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2532 on: 11 October 2011, 03:06:31 »

I can't wait to watch that.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2533 on: 12 November 2011, 16:40:41 »

I watched it recently c/o of a friend, and I'm going to see it at this little indie theatre we sometimes hit up later this month with other friends of mine who've either seen it a few times or not at all. Should be a good time.

I think it's an Alec movie.

Oh yeah speaking of that theatre; After all the hype built up for me by listening all about it for a year and change, Red State was kinda "eh." I thought it was well-done but short and unfortunately for me I already knew everything that happened via podcasts and such. The characters don't really go anywhere but the movie was OK.

Posted on: 10 October 2011, 21:18:34

I'm sure you guys have seen this, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/11/full-trailer-for-takashi-miikes-ds-game-adaptation-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney.php

WOW.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2534 on: 12 November 2011, 16:52:24 »

That looks absolutely silly. It's just that nobody would ever look like that, It really just looks like a bunch of cos-players in a courthouse.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2535 on: 12 November 2011, 17:04:50 »

Lotta Hart was spectacularly ridiculous for me.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2536 on: 9 March 2012, 10:44:00 »

John Carter was #####ing awesome as all hell.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2537 on: 9 March 2012, 15:57:18 »

RIGHT, movies.

I've been watching some.

Contagion was a fictional documentary type thing. I was disappointed but the whole thing made sense. There was no tension though.

Act of Valor was okay, most of the best parts were in the trailer and all the guys looked the same so you never understood how important it was when someone died.
"Was that THAT guy?"
"Nah, it was the other guy."
"Oh, what the hell? That's not important..."
"Oh wait, it WAS that guy."
"Oh god so sad."

I really liked The Grey. Good character development, great sense of tragedy, and Liam Neeson fights wolves.

saldite
Sniper Joe

« Reply #2538 on: 21 March 2012, 04:34:33 »

I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
Never read the books, so I can't say how the movie compares, but It was pretty alright.
Had a good mystery-solving-##### vibe to it.
Drug on for a little too long for my taste, though.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2539 on: 21 March 2012, 18:07:32 »

I've been playing L.A. Noire, which is like watching a movie that you suck at.

It's fun when I recognize the actors they used for the faces.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2540 on: 25 March 2012, 04:20:38 »

A movie that you suck at. I did alright!

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2541 on: 25 March 2012, 17:57:32 »

I've had a few 2 star cases.

Those hurt :(

I felt good after anything 3 stars and above. Some of those people, damn good liars.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2542 on: 27 March 2012, 05:28:53 »

True. There are actually a few times where it's like... "How was I ever supposed to even think to try that?"

I felt like a lot of the success was really dependent on knowing EXACTLY how to really press for information.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2543 on: 15 April 2012, 16:15:50 »

I saw Titanic (in 3D) for the first time last night. It was way better than I thought it would be, and I certainly understand why it was as popular as it was. I don't know if they touched up the CGI at all, but it still holds up extremely well.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2544 on: 15 April 2012, 22:49:42 »

The only major technical change (aside from 3D-ify-ing)was the night sky, thanks to Niel Degrass Tyson.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2545 on: 17 April 2012, 02:14:06 »

I've seen Titanic 1.5 times back when it came it out, and then half of it on VHS tape. I didn't like it either time so I don't think 3D is gonna do it for me.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2546 on: 23 April 2012, 20:00:17 »

I really liked Cabin in the Woods.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2547 on: 4 May 2012, 14:44:05 »

I hated The Hunger Games. It felt like a completely unoriginal mashup of Battle Royale, Battle Royale II, The Running Man, The Condemned, The Truman Show, The Blue Lagoon, and whoever designs characters for Tim Burton. At 2 1/2 hours long, holy ##### was it way too damn long - trying to focus on the society while never actually focusing on said society. On top of it, it was the first time I've ever felt nauseous while watching shaky-cam footage.

I want my $9 back.

Posted on: April 29, 2012, 09:21:03 AM

Avengers was AWESOME!

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2548 on: 4 May 2012, 15:43:30 »

The Avengers was more than awesome.
It's was so perfect...

The humor, the action, the short term character development, even!

SEE IT.

I'll be seeing it at least twice more.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2549 on: 18 June 2012, 06:23:11 »

It apparently pulled in $200 million this weekend. #####in' A.

Posted on: May 06, 2012, 01:21:01 PM

My girlfriend and I went to the drive-in to watch Rock of Ages and Snow White and the Huntsman. Rock of Ages wasn't terrible, but it wore out its welcome halfway through, and if it had any balls, it would've ended at the halfway point. I can really only recommend it to fans of hair metal/80s rock and/or Glee. Snow White and the Huntsman was terrible. I feel like there's about 30 minutes of footage missing, yet because I was so bored throughout the movie, I don't give a damn enough to see an "uncut" edition. It just threw you into the world, had terrible pacing, there's two or three plot lines that are introduced yet never full explored, and this movie just gives us definite proof that Kristen Stewart can't act for #####.

If anything, Snow White and the Huntsman makes me hope that I find a genie who will grant me some wishes, one of them being that Kristen Stewart is forced to only find acting jobs with terrible SyFy "Monster of the Week" movies for the rest of her days.

Posted on: June 17, 2012, 09:10:02 AM

Holy ##########, Prometheus is amazing.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string