MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 05:02:46
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856346 times)
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2000 on: 21 August 2009, 22:26:49 »

Saw Inglorious Basterds.

Just...

...go see this movie.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2001 on: 22 August 2009, 23:42:47 »

Don't tell me what to do Bear Jew.

Actually I might be seeing it tonight.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2002 on: 23 August 2009, 07:07:29 »

Inglourious Basterds is the Citizen Kane of movies.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2003 on: 23 August 2009, 20:43:30 »

Saw it. It was really really great but it's not my favourite QT movie at all.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #2004 on: 24 August 2009, 06:52:40 »

Ditto. Loved the theater fire scene.

LOL BANDWAGON
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2005 on: 24 August 2009, 15:45:33 »

I'd rank the QT movies as follows:

- Pulp Fiction
- Inglourious Basterds
- Kill Bill
- Reservoir Dogs
- Death Proof

Haven't seen Jackie Brown. Oh, and just because Death Proof is last doesn't mean I didn't make sweet love to it.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2006 on: 24 August 2009, 20:41:52 »

I can't remember Reservoir Dogs much and I haven't seen Death Proof, but going quickly I'm gonna have to rank like this;

-Kill Bill
-Four Rooms (segment; Penthouse - "The Man from Hollywood")
-Jackie Brown
-Pulp Fiction
-Inglorious Basterds
-From Dusk Till Dawn (written, but not directed by)

Inglorious Basterds is #####ing awesome, but I'm not set that it has that ability to make watch it over and over, and it's entirely possible that I'll watch both parts of Kill Bill at any time on any day. Basically, I like his other stuff because it has more pulp and it's more interesting directorally. This one was basically linear and mostly a normal movie. It had less of a thick QT feel, and I feel his other movies have more interesting character mannerisms (especially with throwback dialogue) I think what people mostly like about it is that everyone likes watching Americans kill ratzis (and pretend they were there more than they were, just saying). That gives it an automatic three stars. Then you put Brad Pitt in it and it goes over five. But the movie was really good and awesome and worth lots of praise and all that, I just can't say that it doesn't help that it's about WWII.

Kill Bill is at the top of the list mainly because I've seen it the most, so I know how much I like it. I love the others very much but I don't own them (for some reason) so I'm less familiar, though I watch them whenever I can.

Some people don't like Jackie Brown. Some people say it sucks, or it's bad for a Quentin Tarantino film. They're stupid. Jackie Brown is awesome. I love everything about it, but maybe you need an appreciation for the '70s blaxploitation genre it takes from, which Pam Grier had a lot of roles in. It has great dialogue and all that other wickedness that makes me like his films.

Four Rooms is a great movie that people don't really seem to know about. It's about a bellhop on his last nerve working New Year's Eve at the hotel. Every room's story had a different writer and director, my favourite two being the room by Quentin Tarantino and the room by Robert Rodriguez.

I really want to see the From Dusk till Dawn sequel and prequel.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2007 on: 24 August 2009, 21:37:19 »

I went to see IB again in the afternoon yesterday and loved it just as much as the first time. Something about it just clicked with me. I mean, I love Kill Bill and it's hard for me to say I like Inglourious Basterds more, because it's pretty damn equal. I'm still wavering between the two. I think I'm just in love with a movie that let's Jews really kick some ass and basically BE the Nazis this time around. And I loved hating and loving the Nazis.

Pulp Fiction is by far my favorite and I don't think I can top that, and I'd rate Reservoir Dogs higher if there was just a little more to it. It's the most simple of QT's movies that I've seen, but that's not to say anything's wrong with it. The "Stuck in the middle with you" scene is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.

I've only heard good things about Jackie Brown. I'll check it out soon.

I know about Four Rooms but still haven't seen it.

From Dusk 'Till Dawn I watched part of, but I wasn't really paying attention and really need an alone-viewing with it.

True Romance is another one I know QT wrote but not directed, and I'd like to see that as well because it sounds pretty good.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2008 on: 24 August 2009, 21:52:59 »

You might enjoy Munich quite a bit.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2009 on: 25 August 2009, 00:41:24 »

I haven't seen anything written, directed, or produced by Quentin Tarantino!

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #2010 on: 25 August 2009, 23:59:48 »

I just got finished watching World's Greatest Dad.

While it wasn't as funny as I was hoping/expecting, it was still an excellent movie.
There was an incredibly sharp yet understated social critique at the heart of the film, and the symbolism it used was fantastic.

I'm afraid, however, that it's going to be one of those movies that never receives the kind of recognition it has coming to it.

Interestingly enough, the trailer for it isn't a fair representation of what the movie is about.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2009, 00:17:22 by Edgecrusher » Logged

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #2011 on: 26 August 2009, 00:15:42 »

I haven't seen anything written, directed, or produced by Quentin Tarantino!

..serious?

LOL BANDWAGON
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2012 on: 26 August 2009, 00:31:00 »

I just got finished watching World's Greatest Dad.

Same. Except I watched it last night before going to bed.

I loved it. A great gem that's certainly going to be underlooked. Robin Williams was great, and so was that kid from Spy Kids. It was very fun and very dark, and just like Edge said: the trailers are pretty much making this out to be a completely different movie.

I wouldn't have bothered watching if somebody hadn't told me what one of the major plot points is. That enticed me into watching it. Ironically, I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't see that coming. So, I'm not going to spoil it or anything, I'm just saying that there is a genuinely creative and provocative storyline.

I mean, I'll put it in spoiler tags, I guess. This is a single sentence that will probably get you to watch it if you're the kind of person who would find this sort of thing appealing.

But don't read it if you don't want a big part of the movie spoiled, even if it only happens about a third of the way in.

Here:
[spoiler]What if your son killing himself somehow made your life a lot better?[/spoiler]

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #2013 on: 26 August 2009, 02:15:31 »

More than minor spoilers:

[spoiler]What I really thought was impressive was the way the movie handled all the facets of death. Much like in real life, people who die are quickly absolved of their sins, particularly when those survived by them have some sense of guilt regarding the circumstance. I've always been mystified by that kind of #####, and I felt it was well handled here.

The weight of what he's done so clearly hangs around his neck like some sort of leaden albatross that everything he does almost feels slowed. The fact that he must suffer alone adds to the bitterness, and the risk of exposure never seems entirely out of view.

The irony of the sons death benefiting not just his father but everyone else was delicious. Would the father not have done what he did, his son's life would have remained inconsequential, save for any major personality shifts. This is made that much more Pyrrhic by the fact that his one friendship was a fantastic example of how little something like that really matters so long as you're true to yourself, which ends up being the movies ultimate moral. The symbolic baptism/rebirth scene at the end was pretty poetic as well.

It seriously blows my mind that this was written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. I never would have thought he had it in him.
[/spoiler]

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2014 on: 26 August 2009, 03:39:16 »

I've never even heard of this movie.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #2015 on: 26 August 2009, 05:27:02 »

I've only heard about it when Linda was watching it. Watched the trailer, looks pretty decent.

'Darko entertainment', heh, Frank.

LOL BANDWAGON
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2016 on: 26 August 2009, 05:44:36 »

It seriously blows my mind that this was written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. I never would have thought he had it in him.

I know, his last movie was about a girl blowing her dog.

Also, I geeked out at the random Simon Pegg quote Robin Williams busted out.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2017 on: 29 August 2009, 02:56:40 »

Apparently, Dr. Light built a rag doll. Not a robot. He named him 9. Not X.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2018 on: 29 August 2009, 03:00:26 »

That REALLY screwed with how I watched the video.
Like, almost ruined it.

EVERYONE, DON'T LISTEN TO THOSE WORDS OF CHAOS.

Just watch it, it seems interesting.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2019 on: 29 August 2009, 03:12:17 »

It is interesting, but it DOES have a little... MHX feeling to it. >.>

My friend said it worse: "It's a mix of Mega Man, Nightmare before Christmas, and Final Fantasy"

It looks like it could be good, regardless.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2020 on: 29 August 2009, 03:14:44 »

I watched it and didn't think of Final Fantasy at all...

The rag doll thingy reminds me of Little Big Planet... and the voice at the beginning sounded like either Dr. Light or Dr. Cain from MHX... >_>
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2021 on: 29 August 2009, 03:16:27 »

I can smell the LBP stages already this movie might spawn...

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2022 on: 29 August 2009, 03:17:09 »

I can't smell anything because I have a stuffy nose.

You bastard.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2023 on: 29 August 2009, 03:32:27 »

It's played in a number of trailer packs and on the television sets at the Cineplex all summer.

It seems like prophetic fantasy sci-fi, something kind of like The Matrix. It's about 9 little dolls created and given life by some Frankenstein—who if I recall correctly is the last of the human race—and they're taking on what seem to be robots. I thought of Mega Man maybe at first but that stopped quickly. (This may not all be correct.)

I've had some people think it's omg stop-motion Tim Burton but they're retarded because the only thing that reminds me of anything stop-motion is the texture of the dolls. Which really has nothing to do with stop-motion.

Also I'm betting on it getting more at the box office than it deserves not only because of Tim Burton but because they used a song on Rock Band.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2009, 03:41:13 by Majikn » Logged

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2024 on: 29 August 2009, 03:39:47 »

THAT'S where I've heard it from.

Anyways, Cyborg Zero Zero Nine.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2025 on: 29 August 2009, 07:17:15 »

I thought of that too, strangely enough.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2026 on: 29 August 2009, 17:04:49 »

I saw this trailer a waaaaaaaays back and I thought it looked like standard Burton blargh, even though he's only PRODUCING it.

There's an old 10 minute short movie that this is based on, it's also called "9". You can find it online. There's no dialogue. I didn't love it.

I cannot see ANY connection to MegaMan.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2027 on: 29 August 2009, 23:05:49 »

This doesn't remind me of anything Tim Burton has done. There are few artistic details that might look like Burton's style but everything else is... well, Shane Acker, I guess. It looks like a mixture of story flavours.

In fact I'm feeling people will either assume this movie is bad because it has Burton's name on it or just the opposite, and there's going to be little in between.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2028 on: 29 August 2009, 23:59:12 »

It looks Burton-esque in its APPEAL, not it's artistic style. I can describe to you the exact sort of people who are going to see this and rave about it.

From the trailer, nothing about it seemed worth talking about.

I could be wrong, but I just didn't see anything I liked.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2029 on: 30 August 2009, 00:58:22 »

Besides the rag-person idea.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2030 on: 30 August 2009, 01:17:28 »

I cannot see ANY connection to MegaMan.

Something about you is broken, and it's not just your nose.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2031 on: 30 August 2009, 02:13:27 »

Explain to me how 9 is anything like MegaMan.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2032 on: 30 August 2009, 02:21:11 »

robot future protect world

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2033 on: 30 August 2009, 02:29:58 »

He's not a robot, he's a sackboy.

And "future protect world" can be applied to almost any piece of science fiction.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2034 on: 30 August 2009, 03:28:24 »

It looks Burton-esque in its APPEAL

No it doesn't. You sound like some kind of anti-goth weirdo trying to peer into their culture and not understanding it.

If you can't see the distinction between this and something like The Nightmare Before Christmas then there's no hope for you.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #2035 on: 30 August 2009, 04:13:41 »

"He has such potential. Such promise. 9, you are to protect the future."

It's similar dialogue Dr. Light said about X in Maverick Hunter X.

In the trailer, you also see "9" seeing a hologram or image of his creator. I don't see how you can't see it.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2036 on: 30 August 2009, 05:38:14 »

No it doesn't. You sound like some kind of anti-goth weirdo trying to peer into their culture and not understanding it.

If you can't see the distinction between this and something like The Nightmare Before Christmas then there's no hope for you.

Bitch I love Nightmare Before Christmas and Invader Zim and I thought Donnie Darko was pretty cool. I'm not anti-any of that stuff, I'm just saying that 9 clearly (and that can't even be argued) falls into the same category as that stuff.

And I have very little interest in 9. I might end up checking it out, and maybe I'll love it, but I'm just saying that right now I have very little interest in it.

"He has such potential. Such promise. 9, you are to protect the future."

It's similar dialogue Dr. Light said about X in Maverick Hunter X.

In the trailer, you also see "9" seeing a hologram or image of his creator. I don't see how you can't see it.

There, now I see some connections. That's all I was asking.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2037 on: 31 August 2009, 05:02:08 »

You appear to be arguing a different point than what you earlier said:

One look at imdb reassures me that Tim Burton had nothing to do with Donnie Darko or Invader Zim, and yet the term you used was Burton-esque. Furthermore, I still don't see the connection between The Nightmare Before Christmas and those things except that supposedly certain kinds of people like them all, and you're saying that makes them Burton-esque. Burton isn't a word I'd use to fully describe that sub-culture. It's just one small aspect.

And I have very little interest in 9. I might end up checking it out, and maybe I'll love it, but I'm just saying that right now I have very little interest in it.

If that was all that you were saying I wouldn't be disagreeing. I don't think much of it either. Cautiously optimistic, I'd add for clarity. But I expect nothing.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2038 on: 31 August 2009, 05:18:51 »

It's the Burton-esque appeal.
There are "those" kind of people who will just go ga-ga over this, and they are the people who very openly say that "jak skelingtum is mai lovur" or "GIR is teh greatest and if u dont agree ur dum".

It's the type of movie that will cause the greatest reaction from the types of people who like to say they are openly nor part of the norm and do not conform to standards.

Also, take this with a grain of salt as I'm dead tired and can;t put my words together well at the moment.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2039 on: 31 August 2009, 05:30:39 »

APPEAL. I chose my words wisely. Not CONTENT, nor STYLE, but APPEAL.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2040 on: 31 August 2009, 05:43:01 »

Also, take this with a grain of salt as I'm dead tired and can;t put my words together well at the moment.

I will do that, thanks. Here's why:

You just repeated what ASR was saying, which is something I already made a solid point against, and then you added your own little shade of negative bias into the mix, which I just don't care enough to respond to.

I have clearly demonstrated that I know what he's talking about and don't need it re-iterated.

I chose my words wisely.

No you didn't. You said Burton. "Appeal" is inconsequential when you describe it as Burton and apply it to things Burton doesn't apply to. You can't take a pile of assorted fruit and call them apples. You call them fruits.

EDIT: Sorry about that last statement I made, if you read it before I cut it. I'm not feeling angry or anything, just kind of mean. A tired, arrogant type of meanness.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2009, 05:52:00 by Majikn » Logged

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2041 on: 31 August 2009, 05:58:19 »

Burton-ESQUE.

There is a shared element between, for example:
- Tim Burton films
- Donnie Darko
- Invader Zim
- Hot Topic

All of that is undeniable. I spotted the same mood in the trailer for 9 before I even knew Burton was involved. Or rather, I knew exactly which type of people would be getting together and watching this movie on DVD late at night in a few years. It was an observation, and I stand by it and am still clueless as to what you are arguing, and what your solid point not only WAS, but what it was AGAINST.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2042 on: 31 August 2009, 06:49:37 »

It's blatantly misleading, and it's unfair, and it's assholic. And if you call the connection between all those films Burton-esque, and base the connection mostly on its followers, you're basically calling them all Burton-esque. Which is a really unfair statement to be made of a subculture. You're pretty much blowing them the finger with that misleading douchebag of a word. If you're going to categorize them by the type of people who generally watch them, call it something that makes sense to them. They aren't going to call themselves Burton-esque if they like more different kinds of films than Burton usually makes—if they like more films than Burton makes himself, even.

Invader Zim's dark humour about an alien isn't automatically Burton-esque just because it shares the word "dark" to describe any of Burton's other stuff. Burton didn't even invent "dark". He just came up with something original that happened to be dark. And that's the only plausible connection I MIGHT really see between all those things.

I hate to say this word for the way it makes me sound, but it's just not CORRECT. It looks really ignorant and prejudiced and douchey, and it sounds exactly like something someone anti-darkstuff or whateverthisallis when you say it.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2043 on: 31 August 2009, 14:51:00 »

I understand your point, but I feel that we are referring to it as "Burton-Esque" because it is a quick and easy way to categorize it.

We could include all of the films we are talking about into one large subgroup, that includes ASR's list: Dark/creepy overtones balanced against awkward protagonists that create consistent light humor, that may or may not be dark.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2044 on: 31 August 2009, 17:41:26 »

I'm not calling the fans "Burton-esque." I'd call them hipster indie art-students or some odd combination of that. And of course at this point I'm just making generalizations about youth subcultures. I'm not saying any of this is set in stone. I love Invader Zim, but that doesn't mean I love Tim Burton's films. And likewise, just because someone likes Donnie Darko doesn't mean they're going to fall in love with 9.

I was just saying that there IS a connection between all of this material and that connection is the sort of people who USUALLY love it. None of this is exact, none of this is perfect, it's simply an observation, and an accurate one at that. This is a dumb argument. If you're angry about me using the word "Burton-esque", that's just silly. I could use any word. And even then, Burton-ESQUE, man. Burton-ESQUE. ESQUE.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2045 on: 31 August 2009, 17:56:21 »

PSUEDO-BURTON-ESQUE.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2046 on: 31 August 2009, 18:42:17 »

The new word for this that I am making up is Snaggly!

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #2047 on: 31 August 2009, 20:01:41 »

Burton-esque is far less offensive than Angsty Pretension, which is the term I would have used.

There are certainly visual and thematic correlations between all aforementioned films (to varying degrees) and it's silly to say otherwise.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2048 on: 31 August 2009, 20:48:27 »

i dont get it
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2049 on: 31 August 2009, 23:03:53 »

I still wouldn't look at Invader Zim and think, "That's something Burton would do." And that's strongly implied by "Burton-esque."

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string