MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
27 April 2024, 20:47:42
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856298 times)
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2650 on: 8 January 2019, 16:57:33 »

I have some friends that worked on it, pretty proud of them. I've been a Miles Morales fan for years now, and I was pretty happy with the film. The conceit that it's all about multiple universes is great because you don't have to have that "well in the books THIS was different" thing.

Jakey
Robot Master

« Reply #2651 on: 8 January 2019, 22:03:33 »

Same, I was really stoked with how they wrote him. Definitely felt similar to the comics, which I guess makes sense since Bendis had his hand in it too.

I'm honestly glad it didn't follow the actual Spiderverse series with all of its vampire #####. Though, I am sad I didn't get to see my favorite alternate Spiderman, or more of 2099.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2652 on: 9 January 2019, 14:18:48 »

Those two (and Miles) are my favourite Spideys for sure. I loved the comic Spider-Verse storyline but it wouldn't work well as a movie at all really, though I think you could adapt some of it for the sequel like the entire hunt thing.

I think this version of Miles is different enough from the comics one you could even have the comic version show up as a cameo, since it's the Spider-VERSE after all.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2653 on: 9 January 2019, 20:00:28 »

I liked the actual story arc of the Spider-Verse in the comics. The first part of the first arc introducing Morlun was one of if not the very first actual Spider-Man comic book I ever read, by happenstance, and it took ages before I finally finished that arc, and then Spider-Verse, but I enjoyed all of it.

I don't care that it was different though. It only bothers me when it's different if it feels like the actual spirit of the thing never translated. I could maybe argue that that's the case here, but the movie had a soul of its own that I was satisfied with.

Actually now that I think about it, the only thing that bothered me was Doc Ock. I mean, Doc Ock is SUPPOSED to be a [spoiler]roboticist!!! What's she doing opening portals to other dimensions?![/spoiler]

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2654 on: 14 January 2019, 17:44:34 »

Oh yeah I loved the comic, and I don't care that it was different. Was just saying it leaves it more open this way. What I DON'T like is people who clearly never read the comics saying the movie was "pretty close" to them with some authority they don't have, but that might just be my workplace.

[spoiler]I think in this universe Doc Ock is meant to be more of a multi-hyphenate all around science-person, so she's into all avenues, and just gets hired by The Kingpin to do research for his selfish plan.[/spoiler]

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2655 on: 15 January 2019, 01:53:47 »

[spoiler]True. I mean I wasn't serious; while I do think that the more fields you'd need to study and master to be able to have robotic arms grafted to yourself that you can mentally control (though I guess that was an accident) while also doing all of this other highly technical stuff in completely different fields sort of diminishes the core traits of the character, you could probably argue that the Doc Ock in the comics already does a lot of that anyway. I mean at the very least he does transcend the sum of his own physical parts and transfers the essence of himself onto another person and succeeds Spider-Man. He probably does a whole lot of other weird stuff that I've probably never even seen because I mostly only read from issues 500-730-ish.

The way that I think I would write the character is to keep him strictly to neurology and mechanical engineering to keep him believable, but I really didn't mind in the case of the movie. There was so much to the movie that was just pure fun and clearly not meant to be taken seriously.[/spoiler]

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2656 on: 11 March 2019, 17:48:38 »

I finished up the Outrage trilogy with Outrage Coda. Well done slow burn.

Posted on: February 13, 2019, 05:00:29 PM

Wife and I watched Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween last night. Not great, but it was pretty fun.

Posted on: March 01, 2019, 04:01:44 PM

Holy ##### guys, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse was insanely great. Deserves every award it gets.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2657 on: 11 March 2019, 17:59:16 »

The final end sequence was golden.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2658 on: 13 March 2019, 18:56:46 »

Yeah Speeeeeeeeed, that's why I saw it when it came ooooouutt!

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2659 on: 14 March 2019, 18:55:34 »

My oldest son loved it although he through Prowler was scary at points. He wants a Miles "big guy" (the 12 inch figures) now.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2660 on: 15 March 2019, 13:24:03 »

The animation on Prowler is fantastic, while I like his normal look I don't think they've ever had a better version of the character.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2661 on: 23 March 2019, 14:00:51 »

Finished watching Gimme Danger, which is a documentary about Iggy & The Stooges. Interesting listening to them talk about their times.

Posted on: March 19, 2019, 04:06:39 PM

If you get a chance, check out Peter Jackson's World War I documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old". The switch to the colorization is jarring, and you suddenly feel like you're there with them, no longer watching men filmed over 100 years ago. It's haunting, sobering, beautiful, and ugly. Stick around for the short documentary post-credits where Jackson talks about how the documentary was made and his personal attachment to the project.

One crazy and sad moment that the film didn't reeeally mention but Jackson did later, is that there's one shot where you're watching a bunch of soldiers looking at the camera, some laughing, some looking scared out of their minds...pretty much all of them died 30 minutes after the footage was taken.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2662 on: 1 May 2019, 12:35:38 »

So that new Sonic Trailer huh?

I...uh...er....what?

No.  Just bloody no.

Why is it even a thing? 
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2663 on: 1 May 2019, 14:13:17 »

I can not wait for the game based on the movie!  This is going to be Street Fighter 2 the movie the game bad!

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #2664 on: 1 May 2019, 14:22:16 »

So that new Sonic Trailer huh?

I...uh...er....what?

No.  Just bloody no.

Why is it even a thing? 
to get a money

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun (mmx3 opening tune intensifies)
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2665 on: 1 May 2019, 15:50:58 »

The funny thing is that the Detective Pikachu movie actually looks really good for a video game adaptation. The models, while creepy, look like an accurate representation of Pokemon in the real world and actually fits.

I don't expect to go see it, but still. 
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2666 on: 1 May 2019, 21:46:47 »

I expect to see the Sonic movie above/under the influence.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2667 on: 8 May 2019, 13:29:34 »

Can't wait for the memes about how fast it left the theatre and went to home video.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2668 on: 9 May 2019, 01:22:58 »

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2669 on: 27 May 2019, 16:57:35 »

Finally finished The Equalizer 2 the other night. I thought it was good, but not as good as the first one. I hope that more get made, because I liked that it was a mature (as in, the target audience is 35 and up) action movie and we don't get enough of those these days.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2670 on: 29 May 2019, 15:49:01 »

Detective Pikachu was a good movie.  I'd recommend it.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2671 on: 31 May 2019, 07:25:36 »

I was expecting better.

It certainly wasn't soulless, though. Good is a pretty fair assessment, and I could tell a lot of effort was put into it.

I saw John Wick 3 and it didn't disappoint. Some of the action could have been done better (and by that I mean I could maybe pick out a shot or two that felt either badly choreographed or just botched, and that's not saying much). Overall I liked pretty much everything about it.

Bad Times at the El Royale: also very good.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2672 on: 3 June 2019, 16:50:14 »

I thought Detective Pikachu was pretty good all in all. It's in a very odd place, right, because it's a kid's movie (and directed as such) who's main demographic is 30 year-olds. There was a fair amount of moments where I felt like I was watching a higher budget Disney Channel movie, but then also lots of moments where I thought they did an incredible job. I would definitely watch another Pokemon movie in that style.

I didn't really like the first John Wick but I plan to check out the others eventually. I found the first one very flat compared to how hyped it is.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2673 on: 8 June 2019, 19:14:53 »

To me, Detective Pikachu felt like the opposite. It felt like the movie's targeted demographic was kids, and then it was marketed to older audiences.

We had Pikachu drinking in a seedy bar, we had Ryan Reynolds joking about abandoning his wife and kids to put himself into the role, and we had Bonnie Tyler from the 80s singing in one of the trailers. Just as examples I could remember at the moment.

I wasn't expecting anything like Michael Bay's Transformers or Ninja Turtles or that recent Power Rangers flick but I wasn't expecting Spy Kids vibes either. Perhaps that's a more difficult line to walk than I thought.

One thing I'll say about John Wick sequels is that they expand upon the universe in interesting ways. I don't know about hype. It's this combination of violent escalation and things getting weirder and weirder that keep it interesting for me.
« Last Edit: 8 June 2019, 19:20:26 by Majikn » Logged

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2674 on: 27 June 2019, 17:48:07 »

Actually I think we're on the same page. I felt it was definitely marketed to older audiences yeah, but shot like a kid's movie. Especially the Torterra sequence.

With John Wick I just always hear people go "You haven't seen it?!?!" or are surprised when people don't like the first one. There's an air about it as if it's ground breaking but I've seen better revenge films. It lacked substance, imo. It's weird, I like everyone in it but it just didn't live up to the hype. I do think I'll enjoy the sequels more though.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2675 on: 12 November 2019, 13:09:53 »

New Sonic trailer is out and it looks MUCH better.  Almost makes me think they purposely did a ##### trailer for a publicity stunt then go LOL JK here is the fixed version in a ploy to trick people into thinking that they are "listening to the complaints of the fans"
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2676 on: 12 November 2019, 22:24:42 »

Conspiracy theories!

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2677 on: 12 November 2019, 22:54:00 »

I'm legit stoked for the Sonic movie now. I was on board with it before because I'm like "wtf adaptations, just entertain me", but now I'm excited to take my oldest son to it.

I watched Dead Trigger, which is based on the F2P fps zombie shooter. It was #####ing awful, and it's no wonder Mad Finger Games wanted nothing to do with it.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2678 on: 14 November 2019, 18:24:01 »

Since the first trailer came I out I believed they did that on purpose as a stunt marketing move and I have no reason to believe otherwise. It's not that simple to suddenly hit the brakes and change the MAIN CHARACTER's entire model from a nearly finished movie.

And since the new trailer doesn't have that many scenes in common with the old trailer I'm still thinking this was always how Sonic would look and they knew people would get persnickety about his design, so they threw everyone off with a worse one. I'm willing to bet only scenes of the original trainer exist that have that old design. It's marketing 101 on the level of "Sega does what Nintendon't", but I still don't find the movie particularly enticing.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2679 on: 14 November 2019, 19:40:50 »

It looks decent enough to see.  So I will.  Before the model swap it looked like it might fall into the "so bad it's good" category.  Now it looks like it might just be decent on it's own merit.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #2680 on: 14 November 2019, 23:02:51 »

in film studies my class is studying teen rebel movies, first we did "rebel without a cause", it was cool
not we are doing "ferris buellers day off", it's a ton of fun to watch

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun (mmx3 opening tune intensifies)
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2681 on: 15 November 2019, 13:59:00 »

Those a good flicks and wildly different, you have a good teacher.

For Sonic, I'm hoping to see a little more about it before I decide if I'll go to a theatre for it. Have had diminishing returns in terms of good experiences in movie theatres in the past decade...

Whatever my terrible luck is, I'm always sat right near the person on their phone (every movie), the teen girls fake laughing while kicking chairs and throwing popcorn (How To Train Your Dragon 2), or someone starts a huge screaming fight at the start of the movie (Avengers: Endgame). With a 4k television and a lovely room, it's just a better experience streaming a movie and curling up with my fiance and my cat.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2682 on: 10 December 2019, 22:00:32 »

Doom: Annihilation is obviously straight-to-video/made-for-cable fare, and doesn't get going until the last act. Avoid.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2683 on: 11 December 2019, 14:53:59 »

Appreciated, but you didn't really need to tell us to avoid it, that was self evident from the first trailer!

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2684 on: 11 December 2019, 21:00:39 »

Notice how there was no dialogue? Yeah, there was a reason. Honestly though, the set design was pretty good; enough that I was wondering if they were using the sets from another movie/TV show.

The film is pretty much "What if Alien, but boring actors wearing 'armor' from the company paintball tournament?"

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2685 on: 12 December 2019, 19:34:17 »

Frozen 2 stinks, but I didn't like the first one either.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2686 on: 13 December 2019, 13:30:55 »

Doom: Annihilation is obviously straight-to-video/made-for-cable fare, and doesn't get going until the last act. Avoid.

It was very obvious from the get-go that it was going to be a trainwreck. 
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2687 on: 17 December 2019, 14:10:46 »

The fact that it's a Doom movie in the first place...

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2688 on: 17 December 2019, 19:18:52 »

I maintain you COULD make a good Doom movie.  They just won't.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2689 on: 18 December 2019, 01:54:17 »

How would you go about making a DOOM movie Rez?
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2690 on: 18 December 2019, 19:57:34 »

I'm not a screen writer, but we've had good movies based on properties.

The original Mortal Kombat wans't too bad overall.
Clue is the best board game adaptation ever done (and a good movie to boot).

I'm sure i could come up with more if I thought about it, but off the top of my head that's what pops up.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2691 on: 21 December 2019, 14:26:54 »

I saw Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, and while I thought it was underwhelming, I thought it was a fine end to the Skywalker saga. My main issue is that it spent a lot of time apologizing for The Last Jedi, but hey, maybe it was headed in this direction anyway when they were originally mapping the sequel trilogy.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2692 on: 21 December 2019, 22:53:46 »

I saw it last night and I liked it overall. There were some moments that were dumb or unnecessary but I think those kinds of moments happen in every Star Wars movie...
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2693 on: 22 December 2019, 13:10:28 »

I threw my hands up in a "wtf what kind of motivation do these characters have to do THAT?!" action quite a few times, but I left the theater feeling waaaaaay better than The Last Jedi. I'm kind of glad it retconned a lot of that movie, too.

Although, the Emperor's reintroduction message being a Fortnite Exclusive is unforgivable.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2694 on: 2 January 2020, 18:27:44 »

I saw Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, and while I thought it was underwhelming, I thought it was a fine end to the Skywalker saga. My main issue is that it spent a lot of time apologizing for The Last Jedi, but hey, maybe it was headed in this direction anyway when they were originally mapping the sequel trilogy.

Mapping the sequel trilogy?  They had not road map.  It was done in the most haphazard way possible.  It's been well documented by leaks from multiple sources that it was a cluster ##### behind the scenes the entire way through.  And frankly, looking at the movies we got, it explains everything.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2695 on: 31 March 2021, 19:39:09 »

I bought a movie called "Vampire Cleanup Department" last night for $2, because with a name and price like that, why the hell not?

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2696 on: 1 April 2021, 14:54:35 »

It's always good to have a few movies to watch while wasted.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2697 on: 18 April 2021, 16:09:16 »

Looking forward to the Mortal Kombat movie coming out later this week. Something to keep me entertained while recovering from round 2 of the Pfizer vaccine.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2698 on: 18 April 2021, 21:09:20 »

Is that thing already releasing?  The live action one?  I guess I didn't notice they had a release date for it.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2699 on: 19 April 2021, 00:29:39 »

Yeah, it was supposed to release last week, but they pushed it back a week.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string