MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 07:30:32
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 856361 times)
Dr.
Sniper Joe

« on: 10 December 2007, 06:31:09 »

What movies have you seen recently? Should we see them? Rating?

Beowolf 3D - TERRIBLE. Nothing like story. Best part was when the first kings wife said, "Many kinds of people come to taste the kings mead."

It sounded very much like meat. 4/10

Dctr`
BlackMcJack
Noob

« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2007, 06:36:44 »

What movies have you seen recently? Should we see them? Rating?

Beowolf 3D - TERRIBLE. Nothing like story. Best part was when the first kings wife said, "Many kinds of people come to taste the kings mead."

It sounded very much like meat. 4/10

Really, it's a movie with Angelia Jolie and monster killing...... How can this not be awesome.

But I can't wait for Todd Sweeney, hehe need a shave?
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2007, 06:45:59 »

I've seen Beowulf, Hitman, Golden Compass and No Country for Old Men recently.

The only one that really held my interest was the last one. Hitman was okay enough to be at least entertaining but it attracts the hugest crowd of douchebags that ever come to our Cineplex. They just go in because they know it has nudity and they're all "LOL TITS GIMME SOME"

Then yesterday we hooked up a DVD player to one of our digital projectors and watched Jurassic Park after we closed up. The Saturdays before that we have been watching each episode of Star Wars, but it was cancelled this week because the one orchestrating the showings had the flu. Anyway in the movie there was a guy in the helicopter at the beginning who appeared to have no pants on. We were laughing at this.

And I have to admit I am looking forward to Sweeney Todd as well. Unfortunately it's already been decided that we're watching National Treasure on that day, but I'm totally going to see it.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Dr.
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2007, 06:53:34 »

nt and Sweeney are the movies to see.

Dctr`
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2007, 06:54:25 »

GO SPEED RACER

Seriously, why?

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2007, 12:52:39 »

Well, how bout that thar Cloverfield that's comin' out. The one with the terrible advertising, shown before Transformers as a nameless movie that caught the attention of everybody. It's plot is that apparently a new monster has invaded New York (lol statue of liberty) and it's all shot at POV, we're supposed to get the feeling we're in the movie.. anybody?

Personally just by the trailer it looks really well done and sinister, I'm gonna see it.

Comes out Jan.18.

LOL BANDWAGON
Dr.
Sniper Joe

« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2007, 13:08:35 »

By far  the most interesting trailer in years, IMHO.

Dctr`
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2007, 15:02:22 »

Yay, another Blair Witch Project.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2007, 15:14:59 »

I hear the movie's going to be awesome, I just hate a lot of the hype for it.

Yay, another Blair Witch Project.
Theres one part where they're walking through the abandoned city at night, and they just see a random horse pulling an empty carriage. That's instant ##### your pants spooky.

LOL BANDWAGON
Dr.
Sniper Joe

« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2007, 15:59:17 »

That's why that  was in there!

Dctr`
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2007, 20:21:33 »

Did you just say that cloverfield had terrible advertising? I hope you were being sarcastic. That movie had some of the best advertising that I have ever seen. The mystery, the countless websites, it was even on the news. SO many people devoted their lives to figuring out what it was.

Also, The Mist.  :( *Cries thinking about it*

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2007, 20:23:37 »

The advertising itself wasn't very bad, the real problem was the hype, it had more hype than Gurren Lagann! Go look on youtube and you'll see hundreds of "LOLZ I NO WHAT CLOVERFEELD IS ABOOT". People trying to look for clues in the screens, and some poster art, it's just too retarded..

Also, I hear the Mist's actual ending was changed. Spoilers plz.

LOL BANDWAGON
KPL
Sniper Joe

« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2007, 20:29:17 »

I saw Eastern Promises.

It's about the russian maffia in England.
If you get the chance to visit this movie, I think you should. The only thing that bothered me slightly was the ending. But to know about that, you should go see it.

Viggo Mortensen plays a very good russian.

kaPOW
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2007, 20:33:21 »

MOSKAU MOSKAU.

Sorry. I might pick it up, my cousin said it was good.

LOL BANDWAGON
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2007, 20:38:17 »

Behold, the ending to the Mist!

[spoiler] Everyone in the store becomes crazy christians except the main character, his female teacher friend, his son, and an old couple. The escape the christians from killing them by a hair and make a mad dash for the car. He grabs the gun on a whim. They drive and drive until they run out of gas. His son is asleep. They decide to kill themselves- however, there is only enough bullets for everyone but him. So he does the good deed and kills them all, including his son. He is yelling and sobbing, (the most depressing thing I have ever seen in a movie) and he stumbles out of the car. He hears monsters coming, and he prepares himself for death. Not 10 seconds later does the mist clear and he is rescued. [/spoiler]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2007, 01:31:33 »

The reason Cloverfield is being so hyped is because the creator has mastered the art of gathering excessive attention for his projects.

Look at Lost... even to this day, there are people watching every episode, all of them being freeze-framed and paused endlessly for clues towards a show that's already been airing for 3 years.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2007, 01:33:24 »

Beowulf - 9/10 - Great retelling of Beowulf with some new twists. I loved the CGI; some parts looked so realistic that I couldn't tell if it was animation or live-action.

The Darjeeling Limited - 10/10 - Wes Anderson's best yet, hilarious and touching. The ending shot is one of the most beautiful movie scenes that I've ever seen.

The Golden Compass - 6/10 - Eh, it was okay. If you're an adult you can easily fill in the anti-religion stuff, but it was somewhat entertaining. Could have been a lot better, but if they ever make the sequel, I'll go see it.

Hitman - 7/10 - It's The Bourne Identity's dumber and louder brother, but it's still pretty entertaining. Hopefully they'll make more movies in this series.

The Mist - 7/10 - Well-made horror flick with an ending that was complete balls. They should have just ended it where the novel did and then add the rest for an "unrated director's cut".

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Imporium - 6/10 - This could have been so much better. The kid is damn annoying; you're supposed to feel bad for him, but there's no way that you really can. And Dustin Hoffman could have done without the lisp.

No Country for Old Men - 10/10 - One of the year's best movies, and the badguy is so damn creepy.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2007, 04:34:39 by Speed Racer » Logged

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2007, 01:51:15 »

That guy was my hero. He was creepy, but kickass.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2007, 04:34:54 »

Yeah. No Country for Old Men kicked ass. It was anything but typical. And if you pay attention, there is NO music in the whole movie. That takes serious skillz.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 11 December 2007, 04:43:00 »

Speed Racer's Ten Best of 2007 List (no order)

3:10 to Yuma
Amazing Grace
American Gangster
The Darjeeling Limited
Eastern Promises
Hot Fuzz
The Namesake
No Country for Old Men
Reign Over Me

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 11 December 2007, 04:57:51 »

...I have missed so many movies this year, and that has resulted in me seeing only two movies from that list, though I agree strongly with both.

"300" was an amazing adrenaline-pump-a-thon and a spectacularly original work of art. It defines badass.

"Hot Fuzz" is one of my all-time favorites, but only 'cuz I'm a sucker for British humor and, of course, the accents. Simon Pegg is a genius.

guitaristjoe
Sniper Joe

« Reply #21 on: 12 December 2007, 01:14:26 »

God...  I read that spoiler for The Mist...

That has got to be THE most depressing thing I have ever read in my life.

I saw Beowulf in IMAX 3D.  The movie itself wasn't that great, but you couldn't have convinced me so while I had those glasses on.  10 story tall screen doesn't hurt either.

It's a bird!

It's a plane!

NO! It's a signature without some sort of fancy picture in it.  Go figure.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2007, 06:21:45 »

Read? Try WATCHING it. The acting was way too good.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2007, 16:36:50 »

Well, how bout that thar Cloverfield that's comin' out. The one with the terrible advertising, shown before Transformers as a nameless movie that caught the attention of everybody. It's plot is that apparently a new monster has invaded New York (lol statue of liberty) and it's all shot at POV, we're supposed to get the feeling we're in the movie.. anybody?

Personally just by the trailer it looks really well done and sinister, I'm gonna see it.

Comes out Jan.18.

My theory the instant I saw it was they are redoing Godzilla.

White Shadow
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 12 December 2007, 18:37:26 »

Awake - 8/10 - Way better than I thought that it would be. Fairly interesting story with some twists that I didn't see coming, and Jessica Alba proves that she can *gasp* ACT!

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 13 December 2007, 19:30:08 »

GO SPEED RACER

Seriously, why?

BECAUSE.

Comes out Jan.18.

The UK has a show called Peep Show that is shot entirely in POV and hilarious. That's good. That movie sounds lame.

Yubi Shines
Robot Master

« Reply #26 on: 13 December 2007, 21:51:08 »

Well, I saw Golden Compass, and I think it was pretty good. Blood and death was cut out, obviously, but nothing that bugged me too much. I can see how working the actual ending into the beginning of the next movie would work.

Also, I saw the Speed Racer trailer.
Is it possible to see it without being slack-jawed in horror?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 13 December 2007, 22:07:04 »

Thanks everyone, because of you I curiously watched the trailer to Speed Racer. Thank you, you can all burn in hell.

Jokes aside, has anyone else seen the Ironman trailer? Looks fantastic, and the actor who plays Tony Stark looks so much like him. When they started playing Iron Man by the Black Sabbath I just had to laugh, it was so cheesey!XD

LOL BANDWAGON
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 13 December 2007, 23:48:35 »

The Speed Racer trailer was packaged with all showings of The Golden Compass, and I promise you it haunted me the entire way through the movie.

Cloverfield looks interesting to me, but it's not something I care too much about.

On the subject of POV-filming, there was an episode of Scrubs that had a few sequences shot from a new intern's POV on his first day. It was done pretty badly, and it bugged me because Scrubs is an amazing show, among the funniest on the air. It just felt annoyingly unfunny to do that, but I understood the effect they were going for. Too little effort put into the sequences.

I'm going to look into Peep Show.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 14 December 2007, 16:13:05 »

Peep Show is funny as all hell, and you all can kiss my ass if you don't like the Speed Racer movie trailer.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 14 December 2007, 18:42:09 »

I never knew anything about Iron Man until I saw that trailer. Now I'm interested.

CM
Metall

« Reply #31 on: 15 December 2007, 03:36:08 »

I don't even remember the last movie I saw in theators, I probably should work on that.
Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #32 on: 15 December 2007, 04:08:02 »

I Am Legend.

REALLY freaked-up movie.

Go see it.

tlo
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #33 on: 15 December 2007, 07:54:27 »

I liked that movie. The random loud jumpy parts were annoying and pointless, though.

[spoiler]When the dog ran into that dark place, and he saw all those infected homo sapiens standing in a circle, I burst out laughing. I KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING[/spoiler]

Jakey
Robot Master

« Reply #34 on: 16 December 2007, 00:36:26 »

That movie was damn amazing.  I watched it today.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #35 on: 16 December 2007, 04:00:39 »

Comes out Jan.18.

Godzilla has been retiered until his 60th anniversary. Until then, Gamera will replace it.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #36 on: 16 December 2007, 04:02:26 »

I don't see the difference.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #37 on: 16 December 2007, 04:03:28 »

Legend looks really good to me, I might go with a friend to see it next Friday.

and it won't be Godzilla, they said it wasn't going to be Godzilla, but a new monster.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #38 on: 16 December 2007, 04:09:54 »

Peep Show is funny as all hell, and you all can kiss my ass if you don't like the Speed Racer movie trailer.

AGREE.

It looks fun and light, as it should be, and visually cool.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #39 on: 16 December 2007, 04:12:31 »

Legend looks really good to me, I might go with a friend to see it next Friday.

and it won't be Godzilla, they said it wasn't going to be Godzilla, but a new monster.

I'd rather have the Japs do the movie, not Americans, they somehow always ruin monster movies based off in Japan. Example, the american Godzilla.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #40 on: 16 December 2007, 04:13:44 »

Don't say "Japs".

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #41 on: 16 December 2007, 04:15:04 »

In my town, that means Jewish American Princess... you know, the rich, snobby girl-girls that are ever-so annoying.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #42 on: 16 December 2007, 04:17:55 »

In the rest of the world it's an 1860's+ racial epithet that disparages Japanese people.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #43 on: 16 December 2007, 04:20:19 »

Really? Maybe I shouldn't abbreviate anymore, it can get me into trouble at some point.

Signature:
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #44 on: 16 December 2007, 04:33:02 »

Yeah, I wouldn't. It started in WWI, you see.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #45 on: 16 December 2007, 04:39:28 »

I always find it funny when someone uses the term and everyone assumes they're talking about a Jewish girl. It's weird living in a predominantly Jewish town - I seem to be the only one that knows any Jew jokes, seeing as I was away at military school for a while. Around here, they just don't get told, so ANY Jew joke will do. So naive...

CM
Metall

« Reply #46 on: 16 December 2007, 09:23:44 »

Does anyone actually watch movies any more? I mean isn't everyone just waiting for the cult classics of our youths to be remade and horribly butchered in cinema format?
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #47 on: 16 December 2007, 18:09:43 »

People still watch new movie. And people are waiting to see something they've seen before. It's a whole thing.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #48 on: 18 December 2007, 00:06:15 »

Every once in a while it happens. Seeing something new, I mean. There are also tons of failed attempts that should at least be given props.

In the action + horror departments, things are starting to go better lately. The Saw films were a gulp of fresh air for most people, but in general both genres have been doing better lately. 300 was the embodiment of what an action movie should be.
Even remakes have been of slightly better quality as of late. Adaptations, as well. I just got back from seeing The Golden Compass again - it was just as enjoyable the second time through, which is saying a lot for me. I'm a VERY picky moviegoer.

The only iffy genre lately is comedy. It's going both ways. Things like Superbad as well as Will Ferrel's movies are trying to be original and succeeding, but other things like Evan Almighty and other attempts are failing at originality. Fred Clause was actually pretty decent, I might add, by the way.
Other attempts are just total failures anyway. Borat is questionable in all aspects.

The movie industry is in a weird jam right now - almost everything has already been done, and there's been enough time in between for them to rejuvenate the old stuff until newer ideas can be thought up... it's kind of a standstill right now.

CM
Metall

« Reply #49 on: 18 December 2007, 00:43:25 »

It's got to a point where we are making remakes of remakes. Which is lame. And the titles of movies are getting lamer as well. Lucky Number Sleven, wtf is a sleven?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string