MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 03:32:44
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Matricians: Show your Music!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 » Print
Author Topic: Matricians: Show your Music!  (Read 343114 times)
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #900 on: 23 March 2009, 22:19:29 »

The Sex Pistols aren't "real" punk, despite their being integral in founding the movement.

They were created to promote a clothing store.

I reference the Ongoing History of New Music's special on the Sex Pistols.

PS: All for permanently turning this topic into something more useful (i.e. a music discussion topic rather than only saying what you're listening to), say, "Aye."
« Last Edit: 23 March 2009, 22:26:19 by AlexThePenguin » Logged

That's nice, dear.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #901 on: 24 March 2009, 03:05:35 »

You all sound really stupid right now.

But so will I, because Death From Above 1979 were wicked (despite the name, Death From Above played from 2001-2006) and there was an awesome local punk band called Radiodazed here for like the last 13 years so don't say punk was only good in the 70's-80's. That's just a dumb blanket, like "all hip hop is about sex, gangsters, and killing" or "all reggae is about getting high". It's not true and it's ignorant. There's no such thing as "all blah blah is bluh blah". Only Sith deal in absolutes, jerks.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2009, 03:11:31 by Mikero » Logged

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #902 on: 24 March 2009, 04:18:39 »

There are tons of new punk bands that are good, but punk just lost meaning, and many bands are labbled as punk when they're totally not. Not to mention some old punk bands just turned into overall #####.

##### like Black President and Pennywise keep the blood pumping.

Rise Against is cancerous.

LOL BANDWAGON
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #903 on: 24 March 2009, 04:30:10 »

Rise Against is cancerous.

Last time I mentioned Rise Against people were mean to me.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #904 on: 24 March 2009, 04:35:29 »

Were they the 15 year old girly boys and emo girls? If so, it's expected.

Rise Against is a perfect example of fake punk, they're singing about break ups and how teenage life can be SO hard, even though they're like 30 now. They'll probably pick up a guitar once to play something hard and fast and sing a punk song.

LOL BANDWAGON
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #905 on: 24 March 2009, 04:39:40 »

No strong opinion one way or another on '80s pop in general. Some of it is absolutely brilliant (U2), some of it is absolute ##### (punk).

Wait. You're saying that U2, freaking U2 is brilliant, and that punk, freaking punk is bad?!

Abe may say I have no place saying this, but Fatso, you, YES YOU, have not taste!
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #906 on: 24 March 2009, 07:19:54 »

If you have a point to get across and want to do so musically, there are a number of ways to do it; I simply don't subscribe to the harsher methods, though I suppose I can understand the appeal. Sort of.

When listening to rock I'm usually looking for something of the type prevalent in the '70s, and U2 was one of the only bands that kept peddling anything even close to '70s rock in the '80s.

My musical tastes in general are wide and varied but I won't willingly listen to anything that can induce a headache in less than two minutes.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2009, 07:43:19 by Fatso » Logged
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #907 on: 24 March 2009, 16:52:06 »

I wish I had a better grasp on the world of music and its history. I have a hard time identifying genres sometimes, though I obviously know the vague classifications like rock, rap, country, etc. I just don't know all the sub-genres.

I just listen to what I like, and that tends to work for me.

It also takes me an asburdly long time to like something if I've never heard it before. I have to condition myself to listen to a band over and over again and I'll finally like it. But in the end, there's very little I dislike. If I REALLY hate something, I know immediately.

AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #908 on: 24 March 2009, 17:58:13 »

ASR, I would strongly recommend listening to The Ongoing History of New Music. A good portion of them (Possibly all) are available as podcasts. (I'm not sure if the Wiki page links to the Podcasts page, though.)

Though the basis is modern alt rock, it covers a wide variety of musical genre that are important to the foundation thereof. I used to listen to this religiously on the radio every Wednesday night, even after I stopped listening to the radio for its music.

Speaking of that radio station (CFOX), I was curious if anyone knew if the SEEDS project was exclusive to Vancouver, or if it happens elsewhere, as well.

That's nice, dear.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #909 on: 24 March 2009, 18:13:15 »

If I didn't have, like, a billion different things to worry about right now, I'd check that out. But yeah. Sounds cool.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #910 on: 24 March 2009, 21:13:41 »

If it's based around one type of music it's auto-fail and shouldn't even be called that.

That's pretentious. Like writers.
Like writers who try to explain how all hip hop is garbage when I'm at a nerd party already feeling like breaking out (true story).

No strong opinion one way or another on '80s pop in general. Some of it is absolutely brilliant (U2), some of it is absolute ##### (punk).

Wait. You're saying that U2, freaking U2 is brilliant, and that punk, freaking punk is bad?!

Abe may say I have no place saying this, but Fatso, you, YES YOU, have not taste!

I didn't even notice he said that.

I loathe U2.
More for them as people than their music.

I wish I had a better grasp on the world of music and its history. I have a hard time identifying genres sometimes, though I obviously know the vague classifications like rock, rap, country, etc. I just don't know all the sub-genres.

Well... Rap IS a sub-genre...

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #911 on: 24 March 2009, 21:18:35 »

Of hip/hop, then? You're only further proving my point, I guess.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #912 on: 24 March 2009, 21:29:45 »

Yeah, of hip hop.

Rap, or rather, the MC is one of the four elements of hip hop.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #913 on: 24 March 2009, 21:33:54 »

So, the others are...

...mad beats props to da' dee-jay...

...uh... uh... rhy... rhythm?

...and... um... bling-bling.

...?

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #914 on: 24 March 2009, 21:37:06 »

Don't forget the lovely "bitches" dancing in the background and foreground, and also the dispatching of money throughout the room. Hm!

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #915 on: 24 March 2009, 21:45:04 »

Yeah because that's what real hip hop is. ::)
YOU SOUND LIKE ONE OF THEM, STEVE!

The Four Elements (as created in the early 70's); Rhythm and poetry (MCing), DJing, breakdancing, and graffiti.

They've evolved over time. But whatever. Hip Hop isn't all the ##### that's on the radio today, it actually meant something and can still. You just gotta wade through a lot of Soulja Boy and 50 Cent types who have no talent OR anything to say.

Hip Hop is/was a cultural movement and it's a lot more complicated than all that. Don't be stupid.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #916 on: 24 March 2009, 21:49:20 »

Yeah because that's what real hip hop is. ::)
YOU SOUND LIKE ONE OF THEM, STEVE!

Mission Accomplished.

LOL BANDWAGON
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #917 on: 24 March 2009, 21:55:17 »

Heh. We so crazy.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #918 on: 24 March 2009, 23:18:33 »

I'm a bit late, but U2 is the blandest, most uninspiring band I've ever known.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #919 on: 25 March 2009, 02:20:18 »

If it's based around one type of music it's auto-fail and shouldn't even be called that.

It's somewhat based around alternative rock, but by no means exclusive to it.

That's nice, dear.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #920 on: 26 March 2009, 21:39:33 »

The Prodigy. Last night. In T-dot.

OFF THE #####ING CHAIN.

Probably the best show I've ever seen. It's indescribable. Stuff from the newest album, the mainstays that are at every show, stuff NEWER than the album that just came out, stuff from back in '91. Just #####ing amazing.

And now I've found most of the show on Youtube, so I'm off, haha.

I'm a bit late, but U2 is the blandest, most uninspiring band I've ever known.

Thank you.

And am I the only one who's noticed that Coldplay is just the 21st Century version of U2?

Yes it is.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #921 on: 26 March 2009, 22:00:49 »

Now that you pointed that out... you're absolutely right.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #922 on: 26 March 2009, 22:03:17 »

Holy crap.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #923 on: 26 March 2009, 22:06:33 »

I've never payed much attention to either, so I don't really care.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #924 on: 27 March 2009, 01:13:58 »

Well, you don't even need to listen to the crap music.

Look at how both U2 and Coldplay have a frontman who is completely loathsome and both groups dress like morons and think they're better than everyone and don't even try to hide it.

And THEN all their music is the same blah di blah trash.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #925 on: 27 March 2009, 02:54:20 »

Ah, true, but there's a 101 other bands I concentrate on hating more because of their poseur style.

LOL BANDWAGON
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #926 on: 27 March 2009, 13:40:32 »

See, this is where not listening to music for band names is good.
I only really ever like one or two songs from any artist, so I never actually buy albums.

I just get what I think is best and jam it on a CD.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #927 on: 27 March 2009, 13:51:42 »

I must admit, I think there's a Coldplay song I like, but I don't know the name of it.

AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #928 on: 27 March 2009, 15:03:22 »

I have to admit that I actually like Coldplay, for a large part. They remind me more of a calm Oasis than they ever did U2.

They're good for a day when I need music I can relax to that doesn't put me into a trance (a surprising amount of music does that to me). I generally do like the lyrics, when I notice them, though his voice usually fits well enough with the music that I don't notice them.

I can't handle Coldplay over a public loudspeaker, but after working in the food court of a mall for over a year, I can safely say that I will hate almost anything played over a public loudspeaker.

Look at how both U2 and Coldplay have a frontman who is completely loathsome and both groups dress like morons and think they're better than everyone and don't even try to hide it.

Really, I've always found visual judgement of bands in review (especially criticism) of their music to be irrelevant. I recognize that you have reasons all your own that are relevant to the music, but when you said that, it really, really irritated me.

As far as I'm concerned, band's appearance should NEVER, EVER, EVER have an effect on whether or not you enjoy their music in and of itself. It's all stage-relevant, not auditory-relevant.

I will admit that there are a few bands I initially got into because I was interested in what drove their visual style, but it's never been about appearances when it comes down to if I enjoy their songs or not.

That's nice, dear.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #929 on: 27 March 2009, 23:19:30 »

I must admit, I think there's a Coldplay song I like, but I don't know the name of it.

If it's Clocks, then it's the only one I like as well.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #930 on: 28 March 2009, 00:53:47 »

Really, I've always found visual judgement of bands in review (especially criticism) of their music to be irrelevant. I recognize that you have reasons all your own that are relevant to the music, but when you said that, it really, really irritated me.

As far as I'm concerned, band's appearance should NEVER, EVER, EVER have an effect on whether or not you enjoy their music in and of itself. It's all stage-relevant, not auditory-relevant.

I will admit that there are a few bands I initially got into because I was interested in what drove their visual style, but it's never been about appearances when it comes down to if I enjoy their songs or not.

I was making comparisons between U2 and Coldplay, yeah, however it wasn't just musically. I said that Coldplay is this generation's U2, and I didn't mean it solely for their sound, I meant if for their character aswell.

I really haven't listened to a lot of either group, and I do find some of their sound to be similar enough to compare them there--and sure maybe Oasis is a better auditory comparison but that's only one area of what I'm talking about-- but I think what I said about their clothes obviously had nothing to do with their music.

I didn't even mention auditory style and aesthetic style at the same time except  to say that "music aside, this is why I don't like both of them and why they're comparable" so I really don't understand how you got that idea that I was saying their music sucks because they dress a certain way.

That doesn't even sound like something I'd say.

There's probably one I like but I don't like them as people so I don't bother listening to it.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #931 on: 28 March 2009, 01:38:31 »

Clocks is one of them, and I think there was one on their new album that I liked, but hell if I can remember.

On Justice, from another topic:
Downloading it. I'll listen it during my run tomorrow. Because the weather is great and I can start running again.

It's worth a buy, but yeah whatever. It'll be good for running, I think.

I don't generally buy music unless it's something I really, really like. And even then, I usually don't.

Anyway, I listened to the whole album today save for all the remixes of D.A.N.C.E., and I really liked it. Good stuff. And yes, it was good for running, haha.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #932 on: 28 March 2009, 01:49:30 »

Remixes of D.A.N.C.E. aren't actually from the album.
 :-/

DVNO is my favourite track with lyrics and a contender for my favourite track. The video is real wicked (as is the video for D.A.N.C.E.). Waters Of Nazareth is GOLD. I almost saw them live in like November, but it was all bad timing. I know Indo or some other character of mine had a stage theme (I thought about it for all my MM-based characters) from that album but I'll have to go look for where I wrote that down 'cause I can't remember.

If I want a whole CD, I buy it. Sometimes based on like one or two tracks, and sometimes because I know I like all of it. That's not me being snobbish or anything, I just like owning the actual CDs with the package and the art and all that. But individual songs? No.

Today I bought MSTRKRFT's newest CD ("Fist Of God"), I've heard it all once but I'm gonna give it a listen again. I know it's real good though, I love the song "Bounce".

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #933 on: 28 March 2009, 01:52:27 »

Yeah, I'm the same way with DVD's, despite the obvious differences in the situation.

Just with CD's, I haven't bothered since I've been out of military school and got an iPod.

As for those remixes, I was kind of thinking they weren't from the original CD because there's like 6 of 'em and they're ALL of D.A.N.C.E., heh.

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #934 on: 28 March 2009, 01:53:37 »

electronica is addicting
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #935 on: 28 March 2009, 01:55:13 »

Yeah D.A.N.C.E. was the first single (I'm pretty sure) and it got the most radio play and stuff, so it's been remixed to death.

The song is actually a tribute to Michael Jackson, if it wasn't obvious.

And yes electro is addictive. But I'm into every genre so... yeah. Even Jazz Fusion.
I wish I could show you guys some stuff by Vantage, but that's two of my friends spinning and they're both too lazy to record though they're very good. Maybe I'll take video or something of them next weekend.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #936 on: 28 March 2009, 01:58:05 »

Yeah, I have very odd music taste which amounts to liking a lot of everything. It's pretty much a matter of "Do I like this? Yes? Alright, then I like this."

I'm not for or against any particular genre, though, like I've said earlier, I'm a sucker for classic rock.

AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #937 on: 28 March 2009, 15:16:22 »

I didn't even mention auditory style and aesthetic style at the same time except  to say that "music aside, this is why I don't like both of them and why they're comparable" so I really don't understand how you got that idea that I was saying their music sucks because they dress a certain way.

Yeah, I realized way too late that I was reading your post wrong, haha. It really didn't strike me as something you'd say, which added to my confusion a bit.

I also should have been much more specific in noting that I wasn't calling you out on that, just saying that you saying something about how they dress as a reason for not liking them (in general) brought people who do use style of dress to criticize music to mind, and they are the ones that irritate me beyond the point of reason.

That's nice, dear.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #938 on: 29 March 2009, 03:27:52 »

The music from Journey to Silius. Sometimes I discredit the NES, and I find some gem someone made ages ago using the thing.

It's amazing what one can do with such simplistic means.
Sunsoft was particularly good at it, now that I'm thinking of it... too bad they never made much worth playing.

I should probably check out more of the stuff they did.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #939 on: 29 March 2009, 04:00:53 »

These are seriously some KICKASS music videos.

D.A.N.C.E. music video

DVNO music video

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #940 on: 29 March 2009, 04:04:35 »

Damn, I've always had an idea for animated shirts for a music video. Looks like I got beat : (

I've downloaded a few of their songs, they're pretty rad.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2009, 04:37:21 by preventerWIND » Logged

LOL BANDWAGON
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #941 on: 29 March 2009, 04:18:35 »

The music from Journey to Silius. Sometimes I discredit the NES, and I find some gem someone made ages ago using the thing.

It's amazing what one can do with such simplistic means.
Sunsoft was particularly good at it, now that I'm thinking of it... too bad they never made much worth playing.

I should probably check out more of the stuff they did.

The NES sound chip is actually pretty versatile for a mid-80s PSG intended for everyday home use, even WITHOUT expansion chips like the VRC6/VRC7 which are like a form of cheating.

Something I noticed recently while listening to Crystal Man's tune was a phantom third square-wave tone (which could NOT exist due to hardware limitations), which simply amazes me. It could be an overtone, but it shouldn't be because this is synthesized sound. It's probably the result of some sort of resonance between the two actual square waves, but why and how?
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #942 on: 29 March 2009, 13:45:23 »

It could be that it's just one being alternated so quickly it sounds like two.
But you'd have to point out what you're talking about to me.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #943 on: 30 March 2009, 01:18:43 »

Yeah, I realized way too late that I was reading your post wrong, haha. It really didn't strike me as something you'd say, which added to my confusion a bit.

I also should have been much more specific in noting that I wasn't calling you out on that, just saying that you saying something about how they dress as a reason for not liking them (in general) brought people who do use style of dress to criticize music to mind, and they are the ones that irritate me beyond the point of reason.

I would like Coldplay's Sgt Pepper's jackets better (Because they are actually kind of cool looking despite the bright colours. Where they darker in the Viva La Vida video? Those were alright.) if they weren't ALL wearing them and thus blantantly saying "hey look at us we're so awesome you might as well call us Beatles 2". And I disliked the band before that ever happened, so it's not a reason for not liking them but it just adds to it.

These are seriously some KICKASS music videos.

D.A.N.C.E. music video

DVNO music video

Told ya.

OH yeah; "Fist Of God" by MSTRKRFT is a real good album. I really like all the tracks right now. I'd post the album art but it's got a bunch of lady bums on it ("... and that's a good thing!").

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #944 on: 4 April 2009, 23:08:18 »

Tim Fite - No Good Here
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #945 on: 7 April 2009, 01:57:27 »

I've been spending a bit of time on The Hype Machine lately, and recently got an account. I mostly go only for remixes and stuff like that but whatever here's the address of my HypeMachine which has songs I've favourited on it. I really only favourite stuff I think is cool, so don't think it's my favourite music evar because that would be très dumb, n'est-ce pas?

http://hypem.com/collymore

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #946 on: 16 April 2009, 21:23:11 »

Cassiopeia, Sprout and the Bean, Swansea and others by Joanna Newsom.

It takes a while to get used to her voice (sounds really, really untrained) but she's probably one of my favorites now.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #947 on: 16 April 2009, 21:30:23 »

I eat brains -- Romeo Liquor Store

LOL BANDWAGON
saldite
Sniper Joe

« Reply #948 on: 18 April 2009, 03:09:24 »

Ding Dong Song by Gunther.

Bah...
I've had this damn song stuck in my head all day, and I really wish I didn't.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #949 on: 18 April 2009, 03:14:03 »

I had the Giygas theme stuck in my head.

And a few days ago, for some random reason, this.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Matricians: Show your Music!
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string