MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
27 April 2024, 08:12:53
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : What game are you playing?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » Print
Author Topic: What game are you playing?  (Read 1188265 times)
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3750 on: 25 September 2019, 13:25:48 »

Now I'm playing Link's Awakening on the Switch. Just as good as I remember it, if not better thanks to the quality of life change.  Only downside is no silly photo op mode.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3751 on: 26 September 2019, 19:25:32 »

I knew Link's Awakening too well and burned through the remake super quickly. Not a bad thing, it was very enjoyable, but I can see people not loving the price tag.

I very much miss the photo ops. I do feel like a little charm is removed from this version, even though it is super faithful there's something missing. But I love the original so much it's probably just a nostalgia thing.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2019, 20:07:38 by Mikero » Logged

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3752 on: 26 September 2019, 22:47:27 »

The whole thing is coming off like I'd be a bit disappointed in it. There has been at least a few games where Nintendo has released a remake forgetting a game's original design reasons in certain places and replacing them without changing the elements around them, if that makes sense.

Link's Awakening looks very good visually, and it's either missing the old charm or I don't get the new charm, but either way there's a noticeable amount of small things I've seen that I probably shouldn't make a huge deal about. After all I think some of those things were problems even in Breath of the Wild, which has the least annoyingly-designed HUD of the most recent Zelda games by far.

I could make a concession as to the drastic change in the overall map detail for consistency's sake, because it's meant to mesh well with the dungeon maker. I might even find I prefer using a more detailed map to memorizing routes anyway.

And obviously they fixed the pot bonking interruption, so there's that.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3753 on: 27 September 2019, 15:54:41 »

Don't get me wrong it's not disappointing, I just burned through it. This is game I beat myself a bunch of times and my mom played it even more than I did, so I ended up helping her solve some puzzles over and over again.

Really the photo op is the only small thing that I think is missing, I can't really think of any other significant changes. They kept in every thing else that I loved, like Mr. Write and the colour dungeon. There are people upset about the crane game (and I did post a frustrated video of a time where it screwed me over) but in general I would say that was actually trickier in the original game.

On the subject of the dungeon maker... It's a novel idea, one that we all had when the first Mario Maker came out, but I don't really have fun doing anything in it yet. I'm basically just doing it to 100% the game, it doesn't offer actual level design freedom which is a bummer.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3754 on: 27 September 2019, 16:49:56 »

i'd compare the Chamber dungeon more akin to Doom's 2016 Snapmap.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3755 on: 27 September 2019, 21:44:55 »

Snaptrap!

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3756 on: 30 September 2019, 19:40:45 »

I'm not familiar with it but from the name I'm guessing it's similar in that you just drop ("snap") down map elements without real creativity?

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3757 on: 14 October 2019, 09:05:55 »

just got the devil may cry HD collection and to say the least... THIS PARTYS GETTING CRAZY

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun (mmx3 opening tune intensifies)
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3758 on: 14 October 2019, 22:26:07 »

Did you mean KUH-RAAAAAAZEEEEE?!

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #3759 on: 15 October 2019, 00:48:06 »

I've been tempted after beating DMC5, what are your thought on it? My first was 4, and I actually liked DMC, so keep that in mind.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3760 on: 15 October 2019, 14:26:45 »

1 is okay
2 is ...no...
and 3? well... I'M ABSOLUTELY CRAZY ABOUT IT
i didn't even know if i was going to like these games and keep in mind that i don't normally like hard games,and 3 is HARD but it's just so fun, i just got quicksilver and that fight was a blast, every boss so far has been so fun to take down, and the weapons they give you are all so fun to play with, i think my favourites are agni/rudra and cerberus

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3761 on: 19 October 2019, 02:49:45 »

There's a special place in hell for those who choose never to suffer Dante's video game journey... and I'M GOING THERE.

Don't get me wrong it's not disappointing, I just burned through it. This is game I beat myself a bunch of times and my mom played it even more than I did, so I ended up helping her solve some puzzles over and over again.

Really the photo op is the only small thing that I think is missing, I can't really think of any other significant changes. They kept in every thing else that I loved, like Mr. Write and the colour dungeon. There are people upset about the crane game (and I did post a frustrated video of a time where it screwed me over) but in general I would say that was actually trickier in the original game.

On the subject of the dungeon maker... It's a novel idea, one that we all had when the first Mario Maker came out, but I don't really have fun doing anything in it yet. I'm basically just doing it to 100% the game, it doesn't offer actual level design freedom which is a bummer.

Yeah, I think I'm just really particular. In the original game the fire rod basically replaced your sword, but it's been nerfed. Things like that I don't mind, because the *cough* magic rod gets more utility overall in this game because of the post-game stuff and I don't want it to remove the difficulty entirely.
And did the chess pieces actually move that way in the original and I never noticed? Because that was cool. I could have sworn it was just random.

The things that I do mind a little bit aren't very major things.
It's mostly things the original game didn't need, like pausing the game to zoom in on something blatantly obvious, or constantly reminding you when to press A to interact with certain things, or freezing you every time a chest materialized or a key fell. In those ways it's like the developers added something that took away some of the polish. You also used to be able to do things like sprint+jump+spin attack, but now doing so isn't as fun to do because he spins vertically and the hits don't connect nearly as consistently.

Adding cracked walls where there weren't supposed to be any also messed a bit with some of the puzzles. You're supposed to figure out there's a bombable wall in some cases by solving the map, like in the face shrine and turtle rock, but now you just see a cracked wall and bomb it. No thinking necessary. The result is that using a bomb on a bombable wall isn't as unique a form of gameplay as using a key on a locked door, which, for me, diminishes the whole point of having bombable walls.

But even these things that I don't like are arguably good in a way, because they stand in the way, at least for me, of making the original game completely obsolete. As of now I don't feel that either version of the game is the definitive version, therefore both have a space on my shelf.

I'm mostly happy with all of the additions to Link's Awakening's mini-games. There's still a very consistent crane game trick like the original game had, but the inclusion of physics was cool if you ask me. The fishing is more fleshed out and fun to play as well.

The photo op stuff is really weirdly absent. I get that game boy printer is a long-forgotten idea, but I felt like it could have remained in spirit, through still photos passing through with the credits or something. Sort of like they did with Breath of the Wild or plenty of other games they've done.

I've only scraped the surface of dungeon making but I like the idea of chaining the most challenging segments of the game together to make something uniquely difficult that wasn't in the original game. Putting the rooms in the slots is almost as much fun for me as playing them. There's this sense that I can refine my own idea of what's fun and challenging and find the best combination of both, and really use Link's tools to the fullest.
And of course I would love to be able to do more with it, but for a mini-game I'm not complaining.

The music is well beyond what I initially expected.
(Actually don't click that if you want to experience the Face Shrine's music firsthand, because it's a high point of the original game too. It just can't be understated how awesome it is.)
« Last Edit: 19 October 2019, 02:55:43 by Majikn » Logged

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3762 on: 21 October 2019, 13:25:25 »

Played Yoshi's Island on the switch and 100% it for the very first time. 

Such a great game, why can't the later Yoshi games provide the same amount of love and care?
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3763 on: 21 October 2019, 14:21:58 »

Nintendo only has enough love and care for Mario and Zelda.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #3764 on: 22 October 2019, 06:25:19 »

Started playing The Great Ace Attorney. Still on the first case so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but I'm looking forward to finally playing it.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3765 on: 22 October 2019, 15:20:29 »

First case is always just an intro to the mechanics, so don't worry. It's those middle cases that really hook ya.

As for Yoshi, I wish I could find one that just isn't samey and boring after two levels. I don't know what the deal is, they focus so much on the aesthetic and not the gameplay. I get that it's for kids like Kirby, but both of those series fall into a trap of "make a way too easy but aesthetically pleasing game" when they could be so much more.

Yoshi's crafted world, or whatever, looked like it had potential (the demo was pretty good) but after spending money on the wooly one only to play for less than 10 hours, I couldn't bother to bankroll the new one.

It's mostly things the original game didn't need, like pausing the game to zoom in on something blatantly obvious, or constantly reminding you when to press A to interact with certain things, or freezing you every time a chest materialized or a key fell.

Yea with that I get the feeling they wanted to homogenize it with other Zelda games. Not a massive fan of those but I get that it "feelz zelda-y" or something.

Adding cracked walls where there weren't supposed to be any also messed a bit with some of the puzzles. You're supposed to figure out there's a bombable wall in some cases by solving the map, like in the face shrine and turtle rock, but now you just see a cracked wall and bomb it. No thinking necessary. The result is that using a bomb on a bombable wall isn't as unique a form of gameplay as using a key on a locked door, which, for me, diminishes the whole point of having bombable walls.

Totally agree there. Not sure if I said it here but it's something I've mentioned to people before. I know people who are basically playing Link's Awakening for the first time here, so they are like 20 hours in and aren't even half way--so I guess those things haven't helped them all that much. But for me I had the game completely finished by then.

Breezed through Untitled Goose Game. I loved it but wish there was more, like maybe 2 or 3 more areas. Either way it was good. Mostly playing Fire Emblem Three Houses now, and some smaller stuff like Inner Space that was on sale recently.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3766 on: 4 November 2019, 13:42:28 »

Playing Luigi's Mansion 3 now.  This is the first Luigi's Mansion I have played.  Why have I not played this sooner!?  It's amazing!  Every area is brimming with secrets to find and explore.  It's such a good game.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3767 on: 4 November 2019, 14:56:32 »

Still playing River City Girls.  Liking it a lot.  Great voice acting, and you can't just blindly punch through everything or you WILL get slaughtered.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3768 on: 6 November 2019, 15:23:32 »

Anyone who likes Burnout should check out Asphalt 9 on Switch. It's a free-to-play game and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3769 on: 14 November 2019, 15:53:41 »

I've been playing the ##### out of Injustice 2. It's a ton of fun and it's great just choosing random characters and beating the crap out of your opponent. The online portion is pretty much dead, but whatever, I'm having a ton of fun. My favorite fighters are Black Canary, Green Lantern, TMNT, and the Flash.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3770 on: 14 November 2019, 17:15:57 »

Anyone who likes Burnout should check out Asphalt 9 on Switch. It's a free-to-play game and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Free to play is a giant glowing red light to hard pass on something.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3771 on: 19 November 2019, 20:07:17 »

I understand the sentiment but can't totally agree. Tons of free-to-play games are of high quality and don't actually force micro-transactions down your throat, especially for games where said micro-transactions are only for cosmetic purposes.

Asphalt 9 is a ton of fun and I've never once had the feeling like I should spend money on it, I have retail released games that push harder on micro-transactions and actively throttle progression to do so, so this is a complete win.

Posted on: 14 November 2019, 20:18:31

Despite the constant negative press pokemon

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3772 on: 20 November 2019, 00:27:45 »

There was no doubt Pokemon was going to be a good game, the problem was that Game freak comes up with all of these mechanics then just outright abandons them the next game.  Also cutting half of the pokedex didn't help either.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3773 on: 20 November 2019, 17:42:55 »

Yeah I'm loving the new game, though I'm not far in yet.

I don't love every time they add a new gimmick either but I think this time it was smart to make Dynamaxing a region specific thing, that way if it's abandoned in the next iteration it's all fine. It also makes it more unique story wise. That's one thing I liked in Pokemon Sun (a game I very much disliked) with the trials, that felt like a cool region-specific alteration that kept things fresh.

I don't the pokedex thing is nearly as big a deal as people made it out to be (along with most others points that have people in a tizzy), but I get it.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3774 on: 20 November 2019, 21:31:15 »

I understand the sentiment but can't totally agree. Tons of free-to-play games are of high quality and don't actually force micro-transactions down your throat, especially for games where said micro-transactions are only for cosmetic purposes.

Asphalt 9 is a ton of fun and I've never once had the feeling like I should spend money on it, I have retail released games that push harder on micro-transactions and actively throttle progression to do so, so this is a complete win.

Yeah, there's a handful of F2P games that I do on my phone and one on Facebook. Almost every lunch time at work I play Dead Trigger 2 for a bit. It isn't anything groundbreaking, but the sniper levels are a lot of fun - I wish there was more of them and they were longer.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3775 on: 21 November 2019, 15:48:07 »

There was no doubt Pokemon was going to be a good game

Were we reading the same internet?  It's been ##### on constantly at every turn.  And still is eve more now that it's out.

That said, the overwhelming majority of people seem to be mostly not bothered and like the game, as evidence by the staggering sales numbers.  It's mostly just a very VERY vocal minority bitching non stop.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3776 on: 21 November 2019, 16:59:38 »

I'm fully aware of it's shortcomings.  The fact that you have to find an item just to change the volume settings in the game is bull#####.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3777 on: 21 November 2019, 23:46:26 »

It's a video game controversy. I've been very skeptical of those of late. I don't want to be too dismissive because generally I hope that those criticizing the companies really just want them to succeed and make the best possible game, but it's hard to believe that they're not just exaggerating to get views sometimes.

I haven't heard about the volume thing. Does it have to do with being able to pick out rare Pokemon sounds out of the wild? I could understand why that would be item locked if that's the case. I don't know; I'm just spitballing. I haven't seen a lot about Sword and Shield other than the headlines that have been inserted into my feeds.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3778 on: 22 November 2019, 18:50:39 »

I didn't realize that was a thing either. The game gives you headphones basically right away and says they let you change the sounds but I thought it was more about Pokemon hunting, as Majikn stated. I never felt like this game needed audio adjusting (something I do in most games) so I didn't bother to look.

Like... It's just dumb. I'm someone who had a lot of sticking points with Pokemon Sun and Moon, I have criticisms of it where a lot of people don't. Yet with Sword and Shield, I think people are just hating for fame like Charlemagne.

I think there's better things people could address about this game but they are missing them because they're caught up in bandwagon hate over minutiae. The game is really good, but it could have been more and it's not volume or dex numbers keeping it from that.

It's a video game controversy. I've been very skeptical of those of late. I don't want to be too dismissive because generally I hope that those criticizing the companies really just want them to succeed and make the best possible game, but it's hard to believe that they're not just exaggerating to get views sometimes.

I agree with this 100%.

Yeah, there's a handful of F2P games that I do on my phone and one on Facebook. Almost every lunch time at work I play Dead Trigger 2 for a bit. It isn't anything groundbreaking, but the sniper levels are a lot of fun - I wish there was more of them and they were longer.

Yeah F2P is becoming a much more viable and quality market. It's nice to see because I feel like that's where you see companies actually care-in a routine manner-about the quality of the experience, since that's how they eat. Whereas these days you see fully priced games release that are full of issues and the attitude is kind of "oh well, we'll try to do better next time so please buy that."

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3779 on: 22 November 2019, 19:39:29 »

Free to play is inherently bad and can never be good BECAUSE it's free to play.  The basic building blocks mandate the game function on just being playable enough to frustrate people into paying extra to, among other things: skip cool downs, play levels, complete tasks, access basic content that is standard parts of actual games, keep playing at all, make you powerfull enough to actually be able to progress, etc, etc.

Add to that being primarily mobile (though it leaks more and more into console games) that have no physical controls, so even THAT has to be dumbed down to work with no game pad (no one carries a game pad with them to whip out to play phone games either), and most being built around perpetual updates/games as service ##### and I refuse to entertain that free to play is or ever can be good.  And for good measures, it's also digital only, a cardinal sin.

The very market of it is literal cancer to solid and balanced game play and design, full stop.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3780 on: 22 November 2019, 23:41:19 »

Add to that being primarily mobile (though it leaks more and more into console games) that have no physical controls, so even THAT has to be dumbed down to work with no game pad (no one carries a game pad with them to whip out to play phone games either),

I know you won't, but you should check out the Game Vice controller. I got one for review and it's absolute tits, and there's plenty of mobile gaming companies that work with them. It's especially handy for first-person shooters like, say, Dead Trigger 2, or fighting games. If you play a lot of mobile games because of a commute or in between classes, it's a good investment.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3781 on: 23 November 2019, 00:58:13 »

I'm with Rez on this one.  I'd rather just pay one price for a game and play it that way.  Games like DOOM 2016, Luigi's Mansion 3, the Legacy Collections.  I got more than my money's worth as far as I'm concerned. 
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3782 on: 24 November 2019, 03:15:55 »

I think there's better things people could address about this game but they are missing them because they're caught up in bandwagon hate over minutiae. The game is really good, but it could have been more and it's not volume or dex numbers keeping it from that.

Yeah, you saying it like that suddenly makes me realize how it's a variation on complaining about resolutions and polygon counts. It's quantitative.
The last time I played Pokemon X I was still catching up on the catching every damn Pokemon and the huge grind it is and the ground left to cover has kept me from experiencing Sun and Moon AND Alpha Sapphire AND Let's Go entirely. In the gameplay there has been diminishing returns. On the other hand it's possible some people are really emotionally invested into bringing their entire team back to each new generation of hardware, and that can't always be possible if certain precedents are set. I don't exactly know if they're being Thanos-wiped or if there's a process to which of them stays.

Perhaps Pokemon can just transfer between the main line console adventures and New Pokemon Stadium or something so people can have both, and they'll both have their strengths.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3783 on: 25 November 2019, 15:55:01 »

Add to that being primarily mobile (though it leaks more and more into console games) that have no physical controls, so even THAT has to be dumbed down to work with no game pad (no one carries a game pad with them to whip out to play phone games either),

I know you won't, but you should check out the Game Vice controller. I got one for review and it's absolute tits, and there's plenty of mobile gaming companies that work with them. It's especially handy for first-person shooters like, say, Dead Trigger 2, or fighting games. If you play a lot of mobile games because of a commute or in between classes, it's a good investment.

It's more to the fact if I'm going to carry a #####ing GAME CONTROLLER around with me I'll just carry an actual portable game system, like a DS/3DS/Switch.  The point of arguing a phone is a good mobile game device because you always have it on you is stupid because you need an actual controller to play anything that resembles a real game, and you wouldn't carry one of those.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3784 on: 26 November 2019, 18:21:56 »

Yeah, you saying it like that suddenly makes me realize how it's a variation on complaining about resolutions and polygon counts. It's quantitative.
The last time I played Pokemon X I was still catching up on the catching every damn Pokemon and the huge grind it is and the ground left to cover has kept me from experiencing Sun and Moon AND Alpha Sapphire AND Let's Go entirely. In the gameplay there has been diminishing returns. On the other hand it's possible some people are really emotionally invested into bringing their entire team back to each new generation of hardware, and that can't always be possible if certain precedents are set. I don't exactly know if they're being Thanos-wiped or if there's a process to which of them stays.

Perhaps Pokemon can just transfer between the main line console adventures and New Pokemon Stadium or something so people can have both, and they'll both have their strengths.

Agreed. Quantitative is a good way to put it.

To your last point, I think there's possibility in the future for them to use something like Pokemon Bank to allow people to transfer from 3DS to Switch easily. I'm definitely expecting that future Pokemon games on the console will have a bigger/full dex. But personally I had a similar experience playing X, x-cept I did buy Sun and Let's Go Pikachu and had a hard time doing those grinds again because of it. So I think you probably did the right thing.

For whatever flaws people have with Sword and Shield, I'm not having the same grind issues. I'm just going through having a good time.

Free to play is inherently bad and can never be good BECAUSE it's free to play.  The basic building blocks mandate the game function on just being playable enough to frustrate people into paying extra to, among other things: skip cool downs, play levels, complete tasks, access basic content that is standard parts of actual games, keep playing at all, make you powerfull enough to actually be able to progress, etc, etc.

Add to that being primarily mobile (though it leaks more and more into console games) that have no physical controls, so even THAT has to be dumbed down to work with no game pad (no one carries a game pad with them to whip out to play phone games either), and most being built around perpetual updates/games as service ##### and I refuse to entertain that free to play is or ever can be good.  And for good measures, it's also digital only, a cardinal sin.

The very market of it is literal cancer to solid and balanced game play and design, full stop.

You should do more research, you're way off on multiple points. I might agree in 2011 but you're doing your favourite move of willfully ignoring everyone/thing again.

Xero at least has a salient point:

I'm with Rez on this one.  I'd rather just pay one price for a game and play it that way.  Games like DOOM 2016, Luigi's Mansion 3, the Legacy Collections.  I got more than my money's worth as far as I'm concerned. 

And I agree with it up to a certain juncture; We already live in a world with all the restrictions Rez mentioned on FULL PRICE RETAIL games. At that point, why is a free-to-play game somehow worse than that? 2K is renowned for being a company that does this with every single one of their games yearly and it's highway robbery. Their microtransations are far worse than anything in Asphalt 9, Fortnite, etc., and they will take your entire character and currency away leaving you with nothing after 2 years... yet we're speaking as if free-to-play games are the issue? Just look at EA's debacles with Star Wars games. If you want to talk about microtransactions having an abhorrent impact on the gaming industry I'm right there with you, but F2P isn't even close to the progenitor or key suspect there.

As for an F2P game being digital-only, I don't really care since it was free, but that I at least understand.

As for the controller issue, I definitely agree with Rez. I'm not at all keen to carry even the smallest controller around with me just to use on my phone but it's cool they make stuff like that. But, hey, I was talking about a Switch game this whole time anyway.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3785 on: 26 November 2019, 22:19:25 »

We already live in a world with all the restrictions Rez mentioned on FULL PRICE RETAIL games. At that point, why is a free-to-play game somehow worse than that?

And that's ENTIRELY due to free to play making so much money.  F2P is a cancer, and it's spread to proper gaming platforms.  F2P is still just as bad, but now it's all but ruining proper games too.  That's why I'd say F2P is still far, far worse.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3786 on: 27 November 2019, 18:36:29 »

I do get what you're saying and I respect that you want to die on this hill but I still feel that's looking at it from a very shallow angle.

How exactly is it worse right now to play a console game for free that has cosmetic-only microtransactions, compared to a $60 USD game that literally forces pay-to-win in their microstransactions? I cannot abide the concept of the latter being a more "proper" game than the former.

Example: I know NBA2K isn't the cup of tea of anyone here, but it's been a staggering abuse of the consumer for half a decade. It completely eclipses Star Wars: Battlefront 2 controversies, but the consumer base is lower so it doesn't get the same look-in. You literally can't even be decent at the game without paying for in-game currency, unless you grind for over a YEAR and/or pay someone else to grind for you (which is highly popular). I could go on about that scheme for a much longer post tbh.

Also, while mobile is in my opinion the biggest/worst culprit here, I'll iterate that the entire history behind in-game microtransactions started from DLC in the mid 2000s, specifically games like Oblivion. It then bled into microstansactions in popular web games (remember the Farmville craze?) and so on, leading us here.

Many companies have abused the "freemium" model, and I definitely attribute that much more to mobile than anything, but mobile or not this was happening no matter what so the blame game is useless at this point. Especially if some people make a quality game and decide to put it out for free.

And that's definitely me speaking as someone who hates microtransactions and has been especially frustrated with how many online games went pay-to-win over the past decade. But that's also how I can look at it plainly.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3787 on: 27 November 2019, 19:39:09 »

Mobile is where it really developed into the cancer it is though.  It was just a minor annoyance on consoles.  Mobile turned it into a money making typhoon.  Then it bleed back into console games proper in a far more prominent and invasive form.  You can still find a substantial number of normal/traditional console games, even if it's becomming alarmingly freemiumized.  Mobile is all freemium pay to win #####, full stop.  It's the only model that exists on mobile, and it's been so ingrained and conditioned that's all mobile will ever be.  Are there 1 or 2 apps out of 100 million that aren't total free to play #####?  Maybe.  But it doesn't change what mobile is in it's absolute totality.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3788 on: 28 November 2019, 14:56:08 »

Well I agree with all that, but it was Speed that was talking about mobile. The only mobile "games" I "play" are crossword puzzles and sudoku, for the reasons you mentioned.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3789 on: 2 December 2019, 16:00:32 »

just got DMC4 and i just got to the bit where you play as dante, i was loving nero and i am kind of scared that style switching with dante might overwhelm me

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3790 on: 2 December 2019, 18:10:46 »

Too KUHRAAAZEE for you?

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3791 on: 2 December 2019, 21:02:18 »

Let it overwhelm you, it will prepare you for the rigors of adulthood.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3792 on: 2 December 2019, 21:47:34 »

just beat the game, i found out how to play dante correctly:
step 1: equip Gilgamesh
step 2: hold lock on and use back + sword master attack
step 3: repeat until you get yamato
step 4: equip dark slayer and press style function button
step 5: repeat

and on another note i will soon (next weekend) play as vergil to try him out

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3793 on: 3 December 2019, 06:05:39 »

Luigi's Mansion 3 has better physics than real life.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3794 on: 4 December 2019, 21:46:08 »

I've been playing Terminator: Resistance for my friend's podcast. It isn't great, but I'm enjoying it. I can't justify spending more than $20 on this game though; the $60 they want for the console versions is insane.

Also enjoying One Night Stand, a visual novel that has you trying to piece together what happened the night before and you interacting with the girl the next morning. Highly recommend it; it's only $5.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3795 on: 5 December 2019, 16:06:35 »

Picked up Bloodstained Ritual of the Night for Switch now that the patch is out for it.  It's still pretty rough in some places (Tower of Twin Dragons), but overall runs about the same as the PS4 version currently does (and this patch for Switch also has some fixes the PS4 version has not yet got).

I think it looks fine, plays well enough (though still buggy noticeably unacceptable level of polish, but that's true of every version sadly), and the only real drawback is the cart largely useless without downloaded updates/patches rendering it equal to having just got it digitally.  Still highly recommend the game as the bones of it are 10/10, the technical snafus just highlight how unfortunate it is they are in holding this gem back.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3796 on: 10 December 2019, 20:24:36 »

Complete list of what I picked up Black Friday:

Bear With Me: Complete Collection
Devil May Cry 5: Deluxe Edition
Doom
Dragon Ball FighterZ: Ultimate Edition
Elea - Episode 1
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Deluxe Edition
LEGO Harry Potter collection
Mortal Kombat 11 Kombat Pack
One Night Stand
Shenmue I & II
SoulCalibur VI Deluxe Edition
Team Sonic Racing
Tekken 7: Ultimate Edition
Virginia
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus Digital Deluxe Edition
Wolfenstein: The Two-pack
Yoku’s Island Express

Meanwhile, I'm still playing the ##### out of Injustice 2.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3797 on: 10 December 2019, 21:57:09 »

*Screen shotted for when your kid asks why you can't afford to send him to college*

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3798 on: 10 December 2019, 21:59:29 »

*Screen shotted for when your kid asks why you can't afford to send him to college*

It's cool, the dog is my favorite child anyway.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3799 on: 11 December 2019, 13:52:01 »

Nice list. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : What game are you playing?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string