MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
27 April 2024, 07:04:55
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : What game are you playing?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » Print
Author Topic: What game are you playing?  (Read 1188211 times)
Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3650 on: 17 November 2018, 18:47:29 »

I'm ashamed to be unable to ride the RDR2 hype train. Been far too occupied to play any new releases in this latter half of the year, aside from the Crash Bandicoot remaster and Mega Man 11.

Only game I've been able to play more recently than those two titles was that Deltarune demo that was released not too long ago. A sequel/prequel/spin-off/whatever to Undertale.

tlo
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3651 on: 19 November 2018, 05:15:02 »

Got in Oxenfree from LRG.  Beat it in one sitting.  Not too bad overall.  That makes Death Mark and Oxenfree i've beat this month.  I'M ON FIRE BABY!

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3652 on: 19 November 2018, 13:58:31 »

Pokemon Let's Go is way more fun and addictive than I expected. Good problems.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3653 on: 19 November 2018, 22:10:46 »

just beat am2r and i loved it!

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun (mmx3 opening tune intensifies)
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3654 on: 26 November 2018, 22:09:23 »

I don't know if I could even choose between Eevee and Pikachu. Weird problems.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3655 on: 27 November 2018, 14:41:43 »

Playing through The Coma on Switch.  Some nice horror games I've been playing lately.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3656 on: 28 November 2018, 20:47:44 »

I don't know if I could even choose between Eevee and Pikachu. Weird problems.

I'm not the biggest Pikachu guy but my girlfiend's favourite Pokemon is Eevee so I had to go with Pikachu... And mine has definitely charmed me.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3657 on: 7 December 2018, 21:58:33 »

I've been playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, which is okay. The levels are just long enough to start feeling tedious.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #3658 on: 10 December 2018, 09:21:01 »

Finally finished unlocking every character in Smash Ultimate.

I'm loving the game, but sometimes the AI feels insanely cheap, especially when unlocking a fighter. I swear I've been beaten without landing a hit.

World of Light is neat. Some of the fights are annoying but overall a lot of them are clever. I feel like I've barely made any progress in it so far.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3659 on: 11 December 2018, 14:43:06 »

I don't find any of the 1v1 fights that troubling. I like to think I'm a pretty good Smash Bros. player but some of the World of Light fights are insane. Sometimes the challenge equates to a ton of fun but there's a few where they're just cheaping you out. Overall I'm really liking things, though I'm nowhere near unlocking all the characters yet (been having an issue transferring from one microSD card to another so I haven't been playing much Switch)

I've been playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, which is okay. The levels are just long enough to start feeling tedious.

I found that one very disappointing. I liked the free roam aspect but in the end most of the characters ended up useless and boring. In general I think the Lego games fell off when they added in voice acting. If you look at the earlier games like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, for example:

The gameplay was more simplistic but overall more enjoyable because it didn't drag on. The cutscenes were genuinely funny because they found ways to tell these beloved stories in a kid-friendly way without any dialogue and you needed to have seen the original movie to understand it.

Unfortunately I think the last one I truly enjoyed was Lego Batman 1, even though I keep buying these games. I used to love going back through the levels to collect everything with my custom character, but the new ones don't make that fun to do at all.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3660 on: 11 December 2018, 16:46:36 »

fallout new vegas, enough said

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3661 on: 11 December 2018, 18:48:17 »

fallout new vegas, enough said

Nah.

What do you think of it? Does it feel dated at all being an 8 year-old game? I guess it's not like Fallout 4 really changed much of the formula from New Vegas though.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3662 on: 11 December 2018, 20:00:35 »

does it feel dated? oh hell yes but not in a bad way, i feel like the perfect fallout game would be the engine and mechanics of 4 with the writing and freedom of new vegas, imagine that

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3663 on: 12 December 2018, 13:21:28 »

Hm, maybe. You wouldn't want to say that around a Fallout purist. New Vegas has the better wasteland, but the city itself is very far from what Fallout is typically like. The Bethesda games never really captured the charm of the originals, plus the Creation Engine is just as crummy as Gamebryo, since it was based on it.

Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3664 on: 7 February 2019, 08:28:47 »

Just finished Kingdom Hearts 3, and imagine that.... [spoiler]a set-up for another game![/spoiler]

I've grown out of the whole Disney nostalgia some time ago, but was looking forward to a sense of closure to a series I once obsessed over. Anywho…

Gameplay was dynamite, although the difficulty was minced down completely. Only died once and that was against the secret final boss or whoever it was. Pirates world was killer with the ship battles. Worlds like the Rapunzel and Frozen ones felt a bit bland. Not a ton of variety in the environment, but just lots of journeying through forests and #####.

Was hoping for a more epic final fight than what was provided. Something similar to the Xemnas battles from 2.

And only a slight nod to Final Fantasy. Subtle mentions of Cloud, Auron, and a Dissegea (however its spelled) reference in Toy Story world.

Not a terrible game though, so long as you can withstand Donald's and Goofy's vocal triggers for nearby ingredients.

tlo
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3665 on: 7 February 2019, 16:34:28 »

Disney pays my bills so I can't grow out of the nostalgia but I've never really been able to get into Kingdom Hearts. I thought the first game was alright but I can't understand what makes people feverish over the series. That said, I can't understand the appeal around Final Fantasy (after FF6), so I know it's just all not-for-me.

Personally I think it would actually be stronger as a series if it was less about Square and more Disney, which I'm sure is a hot take.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3666 on: 7 February 2019, 21:50:49 »

haven't played kingdom hearts 2.999999999999999999999999999 999 yet but i am confused by the "Disney pays my bills", all i can imagine from that is mikero working at Disney land

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3667 on: 8 February 2019, 14:47:10 »

I would love to work at Disney land tbh, but I actually work on television cartoons; 90% of my work has been Disney TV shows for the past 8.5 years.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3668 on: 8 February 2019, 14:53:06 »

really? that is amazing! i've always wanted to make cartoons, mostly because i have tons of ideas and i feel like animation is the only way to get them quite right and it just seems so fun judging by the creativity shown by some cartoons right now, and from the boring unimaginative slop calling themselves shows, i get the feeling no one involved is enjoying making it

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3669 on: 8 February 2019, 15:32:17 »

Seriously?  That's #####ing awesome.

Still playing Spyro trilogy and Smash Ultimate. 
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3670 on: 12 February 2019, 14:28:10 »

Seriously! :D

Honestly I feel I owe part of that to MMM, this was a place I really enjoyed posting art and learning back when I started getting serious about it.

i've always wanted to make cartoons, mostly because i have tons of ideas and i feel like animation is the only way to get them quite right and it just seems so fun judging by the creativity shown by some cartoons right now, and from the boring unimaginative slop calling themselves shows, i get the feeling no one involved is enjoying making it

It's a balance but you should definitely try it! If you have questions let me know anytime.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3671 on: 12 February 2019, 15:17:59 »

I've been playing Resident Evil 2 Remake.  Taken on it's own for what it is, it's a pretty good game.  Taken strictly as a remake of RE2, it's severely lacking in a lot of things and I can't call it a success.  It also suffers from Capcom's "DLC everything" it's known for now.  It's not the remake I wanted, but it's a playable game, if not disappointing as a remake.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3672 on: 12 February 2019, 15:32:04 »

The original RE2 is my favourite in the series. I haven't played the remake but from what I've seen it looks great, though it's a totally different experience. What are the things you thought were missing for the remake? Is it more, like, the mechanics of the original?

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3673 on: 12 February 2019, 17:26:09 »

Several things that get to the heart of what made RE2 RE2.  Mechanics, sure, are part of that.  I STILL firmly believe they should have remade it like they did RE1, which IS the gold standard for a remake (I'll add in Punch-Out!! Wii and DuckTales Remastered as well).  But ignoring the leaving behind of the fixed cameras and tank controls, there's a lot that was removed or just messed up.

The game has virtually no music by default.  It uses some very subdued and minimized remixes of the actual RE2 soundtrack in places like the main hall and save rooms.  These are already very quiet and then fade out completely after about 30 seconds.  Music is usually used in the RE2make for emphasis.  Like a boss or when Mr. X shows up.  It, like everything about RE2make is a more "modern" design style choice.  This carries into the sound effects, which are pretty much the same as RE7, and generic as can be.  This has both an up side and downside though.  You can switch to the original RE2 soundtrack and sound effects!  This literally changes the entire game on a fundamental level and makes it feel more like a legit RE2 remake than it is by default.  The down side?  It's not on the disc and is DLC (because of course it is #####ing Capcom).

The notes you find that add lore and plot have been cut back a lot.  If you'd never played the original you'd never know the corpse in the orphanage is the mayor's daughter.  The original game had several references to the mayor leaving her in Iron's care and it was much more spelled out what he did.  This is the case with literally EVERYTHING in RE2make.  Details and backstory removed or left out or barely touched on that were in the original game.  Remember the scene with the helicopter dropping the tank with MR. X?  Yeah, they cut that all together.  Same with why the other helicopter crashed.  It just randomly crashes into the RPD.  Also gone are ALL of the bits of flavor dialog you get when you examine areas.  The STARS office gives you no info/details when you examine Chris, Jill, Barry, or Rebecca's desks.  Or anything else in the game.  These are little details but added a lot of character and flavor to the game.

The zapping system and scenarios are pretty much butchered in the remake.  Nothing you do in the "A" game affects the "B" game such as leaving or taking items.  Clair and Leon interact all of 3 times in the game in cutscenes and never talk again outside of them.  The original game had the "B" scenario play shorter and felt like you were working around what happened in the "A" scenario for the most part.  In RE2make, it's just their "A" scenario with some things moved around and some areas cut off and changes who is on what side of the fence/camera in the cutscenes.  It really is just the same game with a main character swap and minimal boss changes at the end.

Also, the feel, pace, and atmosphere is COMPLETELY different removing fixed camera, tank controls, and room transitions.  The game had to make too much of it so dark you can literally barely see anything to compensate to "scare" you differently.  I'm not a fan of that approach.  It probably comes down to personal taste, but It's still just not Resident Evil to me as those controls/style define the style of the series.

Lastly, there is far too much RNG in the game.  They give you the ability to free aim anywhere yet you can pump a zombie's skull full of a dozen bullets and it still doesn't die.  It's been proven that location of shots all do the same "damage" so head shots are virtually pointless, as is the ability to aim.  The only thing that does work is shooting kneecaps and elbows to blow off legs or arms to cripple them and just run by, which is pretty much what the designers seem to want you to do evidently.  Some zombies take clips to take down, some a few shots.  It seems far too random.  Also crafting bullets from gunpowder is also random on how many bullets it yields.  While I like the game really lets you build your ammo to how you want to play, yield should be consistent, not random.  Same goes for normal ammo pick ups.  It's not always 12 bullets a box, it can be 6, 10, even 2.  Not a fan of that.

I also HATE the ultra realistic photo realism style they're hell bent on using.  It just doesn't fit or work well.

As I said, taken on it's own, it's really not a bad game.  I wouldn't still be playing it if it was.  But as a remake of Resident Evil 2?  It's SEVERELY lacking details, content, and touches that absolutely made the original what it was.  And that's a major disappointment.  Judging it strictly as a remake, it's a solid C- for me.  As it's own thing, I give it a B+

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3674 on: 13 February 2019, 18:35:01 »

Some of that is more or less what I expected you to say, and they're things that I agree with you on. The lack of backstory stuff though, that's especially frustrating. I don't see why they would actively avoid it. That is the exact kind of world building that the early series games were so great for. It also lends more horror to the game, as manipulating the player on a psychological level is so much richer than just the scares of fighting a licker in a hallway.

I think that's the same with Claire and Leon interacting. Without that the player isn't forced to think about what ELSE is going on in the city.

In the few gameplay videos I've seen I did notice the extra darkness. I don't know if I'm a fan of that or not but I had been worried that newfangled control schemes would make the game less scary so when I saw that I was at least pleased that they tried to get around that. But I've always loved the tank controls  and fixed camera angles of the old games because--going back to manipulating the player's emotions--it took a sense of power away from the player and added some scary.

In the videos I watched, I also noticed the zombies essentially being bullet sponges. I didn't the rest of what you mentioned, so that's crazy. Location should absolutely matter, everyone I've seen play the game goes for the head and some people miss a lot, so they're basically just wasting precious ammo. That's very silly.

It's the little things that matter.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3675 on: 13 February 2019, 20:09:42 »

haven't played any RE game ever but i am interested in the lore of it, and i used to think the mr.x and nemesis were the same tyrant

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3676 on: 13 February 2019, 21:16:25 »

Zombies do indeed take WAY too many hits to permanently kill.  And as I said, since you can aim  to hit specific spots, head shots should be instant kills or take very few hits.  The zombies do lurch a LOT so it's hard to lock on and easy to miss, but the game is clearly done to have you stun and just run past stuff.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3677 on: 13 February 2019, 22:58:44 »

I fired up SSX 3, and it plays just as well as I remember it. Today it would receive negative marks for the lack of content, but it's a solid and fun game. I'm a little surprised that they haven't tried to do a remaster of it.

I also find it amusing that the two games I play the most on my Xbox One right now are SSX 3 and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, neither of which are native to the Xbox One.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3678 on: 14 February 2019, 05:13:19 »

The Xbox and 360 had infinitely more original games and exclusives than the bone does, it's no surprise.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3679 on: 14 February 2019, 16:13:11 »

^Absolutely that.

After the Nintendo Direct, I fear for my wallet.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3680 on: 14 February 2019, 16:42:30 »

I was pretty pleased with the Direct.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3681 on: 20 February 2019, 13:28:36 »

I bought Resident Evil 2 remake and have been playing it.  I am liking what I played so far.  I never played the originals (Though I probably should have).

Also the only other RE game I played was Survivor.

Should I get RE4 after this?  I hear it's really good.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3682 on: 20 February 2019, 15:40:42 »

4 is the ONLY good non Survival Horror Resident Evil.  It's certainly more of an action game than any of the previous games were, but it was constructed to be an actiony version of a Resident Evil game.  It still had some RE style puzzles and cheesy dialog.  It was still single player (no forced co-op).  It's kind of hard to quantify, but 5 and 6 clearly were made to be co-op action shooters, and Revelations were far too much into the 3rd person shooter style linear "stage" style game than your mazey backtrack metroidvania world design.

Some people say 5 or 6 are just like 4 but better, and they're wrong on both counts.  Regardless, do pick up 4, it's the last good original Resident Evil game Capcom made. (if 7 wasn't first person I probably would have included that but as you can't play it more than 5 minutes without getting a migraine and vomiting it's not really playable).

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3683 on: 24 February 2019, 23:11:03 »

i got operation anchorage and mothership zeta for fallout 3, enjoyed them both, pretty sure the winterised T-51B power armour doesn't break, i love the tesla cannon i got from broken steel (i got that when i got fallout 3)

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #3684 on: 25 February 2019, 04:45:21 »

I enjoyed the RE2 remake overall. It has its issues, like zombies being bullet sponges, but overall it was fun.

Kindom Hearts III was... alright. The game itself is fun, and the Disney stuff is pretty neat, but the game's story itself kinda... felt rushed at the end. They basically stall and set up the whole game and then kinda shove all the real plot all at once.

Then the final boss is beaten and its still... lacking. There were a lot of character interactions I was looking forward to that just never happened or were glossed over.

Still, it was fun, just... lacking some closure for some reason. Obviously they're gonna make more games, but still.
Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #3685 on: 25 February 2019, 21:37:32 »

Exactly what I thought of KH3. There was little to no overall story progression in the different worlds. Most of them were just segments straight from their respective movies but with Sora and company shoved in the middle of it.

Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden was at least a touch-point in the second game to stop at every so often to continue the main arc. All we got in 3 was just cutscenes of that world.

If any DLC is to be released, I'd enjoy revisiting Radiant Garden or even an Olympus Coliseum tourney like what they had in the first title.

I just started playing Metro Exodus and it's quite an overhaul gameplaywise compared to Last Light. I've only managed to reach the halfway point in the "Winter" area (after the train chase) and there's just so much to do. Far more exploration and crafting... But the tension is still the same as it's always been.

As expected from any initial release, it does have its share of bugs. Was trying to do a pacifist route my first time but that failed as one soldier was glitched halfway into the train and left me no other choice but to gun him down. Some of the building graffiti is projected outward, and had one run in with a bandit that was running circles three-stories high above me. Overall, nothing dramatically game-breaking.

There's so much to do, so much to explore. The day/night feature is a good touch. There are pros and cons to each time of day, so certain situations are best tackled during daylight whereas nightfall would be wiser for stealth missions, at the cost of having more packs of mutants running about.

Choices in the game don't seem as black and white as they have been in Last Light. Most of the time it was a kill-or-let-live choice, or a fetch mission that only boosted morality. So far, it seems the choices here could have a more dramatic effect, for better or worse, later on down the road. For me, that has yet to be seen.

If you haven't played any Metro but enjoy spooky #####, it's truly worth checking out.

tlo
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3686 on: 26 February 2019, 19:21:06 »

Playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. It's pretty fun. There's some cheap stuff in it keeps from loving it, but it's a pretty good platformer over all and was mainly an excuse for me to use my 8Bitdo SN30Pro

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3687 on: 1 March 2019, 17:51:19 »

Ape Out is amazing.  It's bloody great literally.  I recommend anyone with a Switch to get it.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3688 on: 4 March 2019, 16:54:23 »

Finished Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom yesterday, 100% completion. Pretty good game, you can put in ~30 hours. Final boss fight was a tad easy though. I ended up doing the fight a few more times with no threat at all.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3689 on: 5 March 2019, 18:31:27 »

Dead or Alive 6 is pretty great, and I still love Tina. *swoon*

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3690 on: 5 March 2019, 21:41:05 »

I'd read they'd sanitized the hell out of to make it more "acceptable".  The game is just T&A the fighting game, and removing that part of it leaves it as a fighting game with no real remarkable aspects.  Plus, the current "endless DLC content of fighters and outfits" that will never net you a complete game to buy... so sadly, not much interest in this one.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3691 on: 21 March 2019, 10:54:53 »

Now I'm splitting my time between RE2 & Toejam & Earl:  Back In The Groove.

Posted on:  6 March 2019, 11:13:20

Right now I'm playing Turok on the switch.  It's so good.  I can't wait for Seeds of Evil to be released.

I plan to get a physical release of Cuphead as I've always wanted to play it but didn't want to get an Xbox.  Also plan to get DMC5 as it looks fun to play.,
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3692 on: 22 March 2019, 00:29:30 »

I just reviewed RBI Baseball 19...somehow it managed to be worse than last year's game, but of course they released a huge patch a couple of days after the review. I don't know why they just don't release the Home Run Derby part as a separate game; it's the only fun part.

Right now I'm playing (and going to review) One Piece: World Seeker and Realms of Arkania: Star Trail (which was released last year?).

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #3693 on: 26 March 2019, 20:43:50 »

Playing Ace Attorney Trilogy on PS4. Got it imported since Capcom is still loving the digital only route for the west...

It looks really nice in HD. Hopefully the animations aren't halfassed like the iOS and 3DS versions...
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3694 on: 27 March 2019, 05:51:50 »

My brother!  I imported it for Switch!  I may pick up the PS4 version too down the road.

I agree, it looks amazing!  The definitive version of the HD collection.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3695 on: 27 March 2019, 15:19:58 »

Definitely want it for Switch, good pickup.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3696 on: 27 March 2019, 19:11:20 »

I started playing ReCore last night. It has some annoying glitches, the save system is a bit ass, and the camera isn't always the best, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3697 on: 28 March 2019, 13:11:24 »

Aesthetically that looks pretty cool, but from the trailer I could see the gameplay being inconsistent.

Not that I've played Horizon: Zero Dawn yet but I feel like that is almost a better version of this?

But I only watched one trailer.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #3698 on: 9 April 2019, 00:39:12 »

Finished the first Ace Attorney game on the Trilogy. Forgot how short that game is compared to the rest.

Also got Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission for Switch a few days ago. Pretty fun overall but I'd recommend watching a gameplay video before picking it up if you're interested.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3699 on: 9 April 2019, 13:19:51 »

Going between Final Fantasy 7 and Mega Man X Legacy Collection for the switch now.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : What game are you playing?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string