MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
1 May 2024, 13:15:32
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Classic Series  |  : The Official Mega Man 9 Topic
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 » Print
Author Topic: The Official Mega Man 9 Topic  (Read 539592 times)
Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #1150 on: 23 September 2008, 03:05:36 »

Really? I'm having trouble with Splash Woman's stage...

Stupid suspended spikes and flying water platforms...grumble...
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #1151 on: 23 September 2008, 03:07:37 »

I got to the bubble part of the stage and I was like...

[spoiler]
Are you serious?

We're doing the Wave Man thing again?

NO MORE BUBBLES[/spoiler]

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1152 on: 23 September 2008, 03:08:40 »

Oh ho ho!  What a day it's been!  I have completed Mega Man 9 and I shall now share my review of it.

After the cancer that has slowly been killing Mega Man, namely Mega Man Zero, Mega Man ZX and Mega Man Star Force, Mega Man 9 is a much needed dose of kemo.  Preview material for the game looked promising, but in the back of my mind I knew that Inticreates was behind this effort, so I had some serious fears in the back of my mind.  Those fears, for the most part, were unnecessary.  Mega Man 9 is a solid game overall, with my first playthrough clocking in at just under 5 and a half hours.  The game had a few places that I think that will slip up most people, but like most Mega Man games, once you learn what all your weapons can do and get familiar with the stages, the game really opens up.  Let's look it over closer now, shall we?

Gameplay.  Mega Man 9's gameplay is solid.  The stages are generally well planned and challenging based on that design and not because someone forgot to include tiles other than spikes.  That being said, there are 3 or 4 spots in the game that DO reek of just throwing spikes in (Jewel Man's stage, Wily Stage 2), but those instances are in the vast minority.  While the stages do borrow some elements from older games (most noteably Wave Man's bubble section from Mega Man 5) there's still a LOT of fresh material to keep you guessing.  Movement felt crisp and precise.  It was great being able to move pixel by pixel to the edge and know EXACTLY where you were and how much farther you could go before you fell off the edge.  Enemy hit boxes are all well placed and responsive to weapon fire.  I have no complaints on gameplay, it's just as solid as any of the NES Mega Man games. 10/10

Graphics.  Capcom aimed to pull off an 8bit Mega Man game.  I think they succeeded.  There are a few places I'm not quite sure that it would have worked exactly on the NES, but I was so immersed in the entire experience it didn't bother me one bit.  Old sprites looked great, as always, and the new sprite work was great.  I loved all of Roll's new sprites.  Robot Masters were well animated and looked good (in relation to what Capcom was trying to do, ignoring the actual design of the bosses).  If not for the fact I don't think it's quite ALL perfect NES work, I'd rate it higher, but it still looks great.  8/10

Music.  This might just go down as one of my favorite Mega Man osts ever.  The score has several heavy hitters that are just out and out fantastic.  Splash Blue, Thunder Tornado and Concrete Jungle are real stand outs to me, but really all 8 Robot Master's themes are solid.  Stage Select is also catchy, though not as good as some other games.  The Wily stages are where the game loses it's footing though.  While Wily Stage 2 is pretty great, stage 1, 3 and 4 range from ok to kind of meh.  I'd actually rate Wily Stage 3 and 4 as some of the least pleasing Wily themes in the series.  The boss theme doesn't really sound like it fits in the game either.  Wily Machine is also rather weak compared to other final battles, notably Mega Man 3 and Mega Man 4's Fortress Boss and Final Battle themes.  Mega Man 9 also outright reuses several tracks from Mega Man 2.  Not just the same tune as several games do for the Stage Selected theme or stage clear, but the actual note for note music.  While some of this is the best of the best (stage selected and stage clear) others (such as weapon get/password) had MUCH better versions in other games (such as Mega Man 3's weapon get).  Still, overall, the game's music is absolutely great.  I would reccomend the soundtrack to anyone who likes Mega Man music.  8/10

Difficulty.  Mega Man 9 is not an easy game.  But it's not a hard game.  What sets it apart from other games in the series is that I think it has a MUCH harsher learning curve for it's stages.  That gives it a very high initial difficulty.  But once you know what's comming, the game is actually much closer to Mega Man 3 or 4 outside a few areas that have some cheap OMG SPIKES spots.  Not as hard as Mega Man, but easier than Mega Man & Bass.  7/10

Overall.  Mega Man 9 is a great game.  It's been a decade since Mega Man 8, and this was well worth the wait.  The game should please anyone who loves Mega Man (the REAL Mega Man, not that MMZ/ZX/BN/SF fair).  The games retro design is a refreshing return to solid gameplay and raw action.  I can only hope the game sells well.  VERY well.  With luck it will ensure we will continue to see Classic Mega Man face off against the evil Doctor Wily, fighting for everlasting peace!  8/10

I can't reccomend you buy this game enough.  Bring back the good!  Support Mega Man!  My personal rating of it would place Mega Man 9 squarely in the Mega Man 4 - 5 range.  It's not Mega Man 2 or 3 good, but it's still quite solid.

-edit- wow, how fitting for my 900th post! :D

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1153 on: 23 September 2008, 03:21:31 »

That was inspiring.

I can't help but point out, though:
Not as hard as Mega Man, but easier than Mega Man & Bass.

Ahem?
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1154 on: 23 September 2008, 03:24:10 »

Too bad there wasn't another stage in between the 8 bosses and the Wily castle. Like an intro stage or a mid stage, just something to add to the fun. This not being in it doesn't effect it at all, I'm just saying now that I'm finished, I want more and wish there was.

I love this game, it's my favorite classic game, story is great, gameplay is great, its just so darn great. If Bass isn't the special boss that'll be released soon then that'll be my only grudge towards the game.

I can't help but point out, though:
Not as hard as Mega Man, but easier than Mega Man & Bass.

Ahem?

Same reaction, I thought MM&B was the hardest of the bunch, personally.

Anyway, I tried out Time Attack, and got some pretty decent scores for a couple levels. I got a roughly 2 minutes for Magma Man, Tornado Man and Hornet Man, give or take 10 seconds. And about 2 and a half minutes for Galaxy Man. I'll have the real scores up after.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2008, 03:30:23 by preventerWIND » Logged

LOL BANDWAGON
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #1155 on: 23 September 2008, 03:38:15 »

Mega Man & Bass is the hardest out of them all.

I thought it was pretty difficult, if you make it that way anyway. Try playing this game without shopping if you want difficult. No E-tanks except for what you scavenge.

I'd put this higher than MM3 or MM7 personally. Not quite MM2, but it's close. I'm gonna play it again sometime this week.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1156 on: 23 September 2008, 03:38:52 »

MM1 is BRUTAL if you don't know what you're doing.  Boss weapons will kill you in 3 hits.  No E tanks, very little support weapons.  MM&B was hard, but it had a lot of the modern MM game conveniences to it.  Though the King Level bosses were ass rape you hard, the game itself wasn't as bad as MM1 on the whole.  Close, but no cigar.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1157 on: 23 September 2008, 04:01:47 »

I was actually going after the wording, which was extremely awkward. I agree that this is way easier than either of those two games (though I've got to say I've beaten MM1 but not MM&B because the GBA port is crap) but harder than, say, MM3.
Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1158 on: 23 September 2008, 04:14:50 »

I was actually going after the wording, which was extremely awkward. I agree that this is way easier than either of those two games (though I've got to say I've beaten MM1 but not MM&B because the GBA port is crap) but harder than, say, MM3.

It takes me two and a half to three hours to beat Mega Man 1 or 2.

Mega Man 9 took me SEVEN ****ING HOURS (But then again, I did try to go back and buy E Tanks after completing the first wily stage (which set me back)).
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1159 on: 23 September 2008, 04:25:08 »

I got about 3:30 my first time around. Can you believe some people get 40 minutes!?

LOL BANDWAGON
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1160 on: 23 September 2008, 04:26:14 »

It took me WEEKS to beat Mega Man.  Probably the better part of a week to beat two.  I can beat either in about 30 minutes now.  Yeah, I'm better now than when I was 11, but it only took me 5 and a half hours to beat 9 from first title screen to credits.  That being said, I STILL get a bit antsy when I play 1, as the scars of mastering it still flair up.  9 was tough, but it was no 1.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1161 on: 23 September 2008, 04:46:55 »

I clocked in at, I think, 2:22 for this game, making it the fastest completion of a new classic Mega Man game ever for me.

Of course I was all of two when I started playing others, so...
Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1162 on: 23 September 2008, 04:55:52 »

I clocked in at, I think, 2:22 for this game, making it the fastest completion of a new classic Mega Man game ever for me.

Of course I was all of two when I started playing others, so...

There are people who have already completed the game in 30 min or less.

Check the leader boards.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1163 on: 23 September 2008, 04:56:41 »

Uhf. Leader boards.

The kids today!

☠
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1164 on: 23 September 2008, 05:00:11 »

I'm only a few seconds short of that Tornado Man leaderboard. *runs off to try it another dozen or so times*
Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1165 on: 23 September 2008, 05:14:38 »

I'm only a few seconds short of that Tornado Man leaderboard. *runs off to try it another dozen or so times*

Unless I want a Wii Remote lodged into my TV set, I don't think I'm even going to TRY and attempt to set any records.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1166 on: 23 September 2008, 06:41:53 »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!! Ninth place on the leaderboard as of right now with a time of 1:45.60 on Tornado Man.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1167 on: 23 September 2008, 06:44:24 »

I think I clocked in at 2:30.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1168 on: 23 September 2008, 07:16:20 »

WOOT WOOT!! Ending the night with a 1:44:21 on Tornado, bumping me to seventh.

We'll have to see if that's still there in the morning.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #1169 on: 23 September 2008, 07:24:30 »

I want to play Megaman 9 some more but I gotta get to bed. x_x

TOMORROW THY TORNADO MAN WILL BE KNOCKED DOWN

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1170 on: 23 September 2008, 07:25:47 »

Good luck, that only took me about fifty tries.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #1171 on: 23 September 2008, 07:35:00 »

I remember I got this Achievement where you're not supposed to stop moving once while playing a stage.

I apparently did this in Galaxy Man's stage.

I don't know how.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1172 on: 23 September 2008, 07:47:49 »

Yeah, I got that challenge somewhere along the line, though I forget exactly where.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1173 on: 23 September 2008, 14:15:57 »

Holy ##### the weapons in this game are useful.

Jewel Sattelite, Black Hole Bomb, Laser Trident.

Seriously...it's like they all took a page from Metal Blade.

Posted on: 23 September 2008, 12:17:23

Oh also.

Moved to Classic forum and renamed topic.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1174 on: 23 September 2008, 14:17:08 »

MM9 IS REALLY REAL YOU GUYS

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1175 on: 23 September 2008, 14:41:31 »

Just beat it today.

Wily's not that tough...well when you have 9 E-tanks + an M-tank he isn't. 
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1176 on: 23 September 2008, 14:58:07 »

I never did figure out what his 3rd form was weak vs.  Nothing seemed to do any real damage.  But I burned through 4 E Tanks and 1 M Tank on his 3rd form, partly from trying to figure out what to use.  I just used the Buster for form 1 and then Lazer Trident and Hornet Chaser worked well on form 2.

And well over 25% of the challanges are IMPOSSIBLE.  "Beat the game without getting hit"?  What the #####?  99.9% of the human species couldn't do that.  It's just utterly retarded, and takes all the fun out of doing REALISTIC challanges because you know no matter what you'll never get 100% on it.  It's like Inticreates just made ##### up for challanges without giving a rats ass if they could even be done.  Oh wait, this is Inticreates.  Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  That being said, I filled up 24% of the challanges on my first play through.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1177 on: 23 September 2008, 15:08:36 »

I HATE EGGS. I HATE THEM.
I can get past the #####ing eggs on a good day, but NO.
NO, #####ING UNPREDICTABLE PATTERN
DON'T JUMP INTO THE EGGS
OH YOU CAN'T SLIDE TO EVADE
IT WOULD BE HANDY THOUGH, HAHA

And then when I do, the second form is easy, and so is the third if you have the tanks.
But I forgot to use one just as the bastard killed me.

He had one hit left.
One.
And then I die, and it's back to the eggs, and I'm not playing this ##### until I can cool the ##### down.
And that's going to be a while.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1178 on: 23 September 2008, 15:17:54 »

Try shooting the eggs into him genius.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1179 on: 23 September 2008, 15:47:27 »

I already said I can beat the eggs.
I know how to do it, Xero.

But I seem to lack the coordination to dodge the eggs properly.

Nine lives.
On three of them I got past the first form.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1180 on: 23 September 2008, 15:49:49 »

BRING E-TANKS AND AN M-TANK
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1181 on: 23 September 2008, 15:50:58 »

My last life was pathetic, Zero.
I used up like three E-tanks on the first form alone and I still didn't make it.
The always seem to land on me just before I can shoot them.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1182 on: 23 September 2008, 15:51:18 »

The eggs are like... so easy, man. Only the first one hit me.

If you can last on his 3rd form, how are the eggs messing you up?

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1183 on: 23 September 2008, 16:12:49 »

It's the bouncing. I can't keep track of it properly for some reason.
Everything else was easy, but this has me tripped up.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1184 on: 23 September 2008, 16:26:18 »

I can understand. I must've just gotten really lucky with them. Every single one of the eggs except for two or three connected and did damage.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1185 on: 23 September 2008, 16:31:37 »

The trick to the eggs is to shoot them on the ground.  It pops them back up in an arc that will hit the mouth easily.  Also, just doge them when he's closer, it's too tricky to try to bounce them then because you have so little room to dodge.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1186 on: 23 September 2008, 16:38:09 »

I suppose I got so worked up it made it hard to concentrate on strategy.

Stage 3 does remind me of the MM7 attacks, but there's a distinct pattern.
Stage 2... requires some timing to dodge the fire. Not sure if any other weapons do more damage.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #1187 on: 23 September 2008, 17:00:24 »

And well over 25% of the challanges are IMPOSSIBLE.  "Beat the game without getting hit"?  What the #####?  99.9% of the human species couldn't do that.  It's just utterly retarded, and takes all the fun out of doing REALISTIC challanges because you know no matter what you'll never get 100% on it.  It's like Inticreates just made ##### up for challanges without giving a rats ass if they could even be done.  Oh wait, this is Inticreates.  Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  That being said, I filled up 24% of the challanges on my first play through.

Yeah, I totally agree.

I'm looking at these challenges thinking "I've got SOOOOO many other things to do that are actually WORTH my time and effort."

And I have 24% as well.

I'm not gonna bother on the challenges. They're stupid.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Someguy
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1188 on: 23 September 2008, 17:44:01 »

Mega Man 9 in 1 day has sold 60 000!
From Protodude's Rock Man corner

This is simply amazing:

"Using Wii Shop Channel rankings from the top American Wii markets -- US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Colombia -- along with historical sales data calculated from Nintendo Channel usage data, we can exclusively reveal to you today the sales for the first day for the hottest WiiWare title to date:

Day 1 sales for the Americas:

Mega Man 9 (WiiWare, Capcom, 1,000 points): 60,000

Yes, that's right. In one day Mega Man 9 outsold all but six WiiWare titles' lifetime totals. In one day it outsold Strong Bad Episode's 1 lifetime sales from over a month. For the full week it could surpass the lifetime sales of every WiiWare title -- and most Virtual Console titles, as well.

Needless to say, this is a pretty successful debut. We'll bring you full week sales next week, look out for the first-day sales of the XBLA version when it launches next Wednesday.

The other titles released were Plattchen Twist 'n' Paint (WiiWare, Bplus, 1,000 points), Super Dodge Ball (NES, Aksys Games, 500 points), and Vectorman (Sega Genesis, Sega, 800 points), and none of them had enough first-day sales to crack the top 20 (less than 1,000, probably far less)."

Looks like the game is a success. One has to wonder how much this number will change at the end of the week...

"A million years of evolution, we get Soulja Boy"
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #1189 on: 23 September 2008, 17:47:40 »

I was thinking that awhile ago. It's been over 24 hours since it's release.

Those numbers are impressive.

I literally just checked a second ago too. Mega Man 9 is the number one WiiWare title.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1190 on: 23 September 2008, 17:57:04 »

Mega Man 10, here we come! I hope theres a boss contest.

And I can't get onto the leaderboards for time attack D:

LOL BANDWAGON
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1191 on: 23 September 2008, 18:42:41 »

Mega Man 9 in 1 day has sold 60 000!
From Protodude's Rock Man corner

This is simply amazing:

"Using Wii Shop Channel rankings from the top American Wii markets -- US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Colombia -- along with historical sales data calculated from Nintendo Channel usage data, we can exclusively reveal to you today the sales for the first day for the hottest WiiWare title to date:

Day 1 sales for the Americas:

Mega Man 9 (WiiWare, Capcom, 1,000 points): 60,000

Yes, that's right. In one day Mega Man 9 outsold all but six WiiWare titles' lifetime totals. In one day it outsold Strong Bad Episode's 1 lifetime sales from over a month. For the full week it could surpass the lifetime sales of every WiiWare title -- and most Virtual Console titles, as well.

Needless to say, this is a pretty successful debut. We'll bring you full week sales next week, look out for the first-day sales of the XBLA version when it launches next Wednesday.

The other titles released were Plattchen Twist 'n' Paint (WiiWare, Bplus, 1,000 points), Super Dodge Ball (NES, Aksys Games, 500 points), and Vectorman (Sega Genesis, Sega, 800 points), and none of them had enough first-day sales to crack the top 20 (less than 1,000, probably far less)."

Looks like the game is a success. One has to wonder how much this number will change at the end of the week...

60,000 purchases @ $10 a pop = $600,000 in one day.  Not too shabby.  I don't know how much Capcom put into making the game, but that's got to put a serious dent into any costs they incured.  And that's just day 1.  I'm excited to see what kind of sales it does on XBL and PSN.  Just goes to show people WILL buy a REAL Mega Man game.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1192 on: 23 September 2008, 18:54:04 »

Just goes to show people WILL buy a REAL Mega Man game.

Made me smile.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1193 on: 23 September 2008, 20:13:36 »

The trick to the eggs is to shoot them on the ground.  It pops them back up in an arc that will hit the mouth easily.  Also, just doge them when he's closer, it's too tricky to try to bounce them then because you have so little room to dodge.

This works 100% of the time. Thanks, Rez.
I finally beat the game.

Unfortunately, in my fervor I saved over my "mostly completed file".
Didn't realize it writes a new game on it...
... a new game +? Pretty crappy if all you get are the bolts.

26%
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1194 on: 23 September 2008, 20:19:01 »

Wait, so it IS a new game+?

LOL BANDWAGON
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1195 on: 23 September 2008, 20:21:04 »

You fight the bosses again but any bolts you had in your last game carry over.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1196 on: 23 September 2008, 20:22:32 »

It's the most useless New Game + ever.
It would be cooler if more of the items at the shop were...
... you know, useful.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1197 on: 23 September 2008, 20:24:42 »

I WASTED ALL MY BOLTS WHEN I WENT TO THE LAST STAGE

##### THAT I HAVE NOTHING

LOL BANDWAGON
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1198 on: 23 September 2008, 20:25:27 »

I don't even bother with the shop until the Wily stages.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #1199 on: 23 September 2008, 20:26:56 »

I use it to get the weapon converter thingy first.

LOL BANDWAGON
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 » Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Classic Series  |  : The Official Mega Man 9 Topic
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string