MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 April 2024, 15:15:49
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : I seriously fear Mega Man's future.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Print
Author Topic: I seriously fear Mega Man's future.  (Read 64852 times)
Xero
Matrix Marine

« on: 4 December 2007, 22:08:36 »

Right.  Listen up and listen well.

As you know the most recent games we had so far are Mega Man Star Force and Mega Man ZX.

With ZX:  Advent out and everything all we have left to look forward now is Star Force 2.

Now what's going to happen beyond that?  According to Inti and Capcom, if ZXA didn't sell enough, they weren't going to bother with a 3rd ZX game.  Now this leaves us with only Star Force which in my opinion is horrible.  So if all we have left in Mega Man's future is nothing but Star Force, does this mean that soon the blue bomber will be nothing but a memory?

What can Capcom do to preserve Mega Man's glory?  Is there a way Capcom can actually save the franchise and restore it to the days of Classic and X?  Will there ever be a Classic, X, or Legends game again?

What do you think will happen to Mega Man's future?  Do you think it will slowly rebuild itself to it's former glory, and slowly sink into a rubble of fail that ends his franchise with a whimper?

Discuss!
Kamon
Robot Master

« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2007, 22:10:45 »

Wasn't a third ZX already confirmed?

MMM's pet Tachikoma.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 4 December 2007, 22:10:59 »

I think Capcom said they had an idea for a MegaMan game on the Wii.

And Inafune said he wanted to make a new MegaMan in 5 years or something (but that's too long).

I think ZX is done. ZX: Advent pretty much wrapped it up.

All we have to look forward to is Star Force 2...?

MegaMan is #####ed.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2007, 22:11:16 »

Hopefully Inafune will do what he wants. He said he had an idea for another megaman game, something straying from the BN/SF series. This would most likely be another ZX game, but could also be an addition to one of the older series. I hope this'll happen..

Edit: Damnit Nova.

LOL BANDWAGON
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #4 on: 4 December 2007, 22:13:32 »

I do as well.

Also what I'm hoping for is that Mega Man will be in Brawl, but not in the ZX/Zero/BN/Star Force forms.

If they use Classic or X it could be a start to the spark that brings Mega Man back on the right direction.

Also if Inafune wanted to make Legends 3, then having Mega Man in Brawl would be a perfect way to generate royalties to get the budget needed for it.

But as it stands to me, things seem rather bleak.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 4 December 2007, 22:14:25 »

Honestly, I can only see this as a good omen. Maybe, as a result, there will be something left of the series that will remain unspoiled.

God forbid we see any more retcon.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 4 December 2007, 22:15:06 »

If they put Mega Man in Brawl, it'll advertise the series like it did for Fire Emblem in Melee.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 4 December 2007, 22:15:21 »

What do you mean Advent "pretty much wrapped it up?"

It left us with a massive cliffhanger, are you joking? They better give us a ZX3!

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 4 December 2007, 22:15:47 »

I would like MM to be in brawl as well, it's good for the franchise..  (even though I haven't touched any SSB : P) But It seems to me like they would put in Geo as the brawl megaman.. you must admit, Capcom likes to advertise their newer megaman series more than others.. Megaman NT warrior for example : \

LOL BANDWAGON
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 4 December 2007, 22:17:15 »

What do you mean Advent "pretty much wrapped it up?"

It left us with a massive cliffhanger, are you joking? They better give us a ZX3!

[spoiler]Because they killed the guy who was behind Model W..? Bah, maybe he'll pull a Zero.[/spoiler]
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #10 on: 4 December 2007, 22:18:11 »

pfft...Sakurai is the one who chooses not Capcom.  So if anything we'll get Classic or X.

But enough about that.

Brawl could be used to have Mega Man pull a Metroid.  Since 64 and Melee, Samus generated enough popularity to get 3 Metroid Prime games, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, and Hunters and Pinball.

I'm hoping that Classic Mega Man's inclusion will inspire Capcom to make more remakes of 2-6 then eventually a MM9.

Oh and [spoiler]If you beat ZXA on Expert, there is a cliffhanger.  Master Thomas has his own plans.[/spoiler]
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 4 December 2007, 22:18:38 »

[spoiler]Well, we do have a plot for ZX3, both Giro and Model Z are gone.. They're gonna come back me thinks.. [/spoiler]

LOL BANDWAGON
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 4 December 2007, 22:18:46 »

No, you moron (Nova). Did you beat Expert Mode or not?

[spoiler]Master Thomas is actually evil, and is behind everything. We still don't know the full story of Prometheus and Pandora, too, though we know a lot more than we did before.[/spoiler]

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 4 December 2007, 22:20:10 »

No, you moron (Nova). Did you beat Expert Mode or not?

[spoiler]Master Thomas is actually evil, and is behind everything. We still don't know the full story of Prometheus and Pandora, too, though we know a lot more than we did before.[/spoiler]

Well, I don't have the game right now, so I'll see that later.

NEVER MIND THEN.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 4 December 2007, 22:20:46 »

ZING

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 4 December 2007, 22:25:21 »

I don't care much about SF so if they continue that series then... ugh...

I really want a new Classic and Legends game. D:

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 4 December 2007, 22:53:14 »

Brawl could be used to have Mega Man pull a Metroid.

I can only imagine how exciting that would be for Rez.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #17 on: 4 December 2007, 23:00:49 »

Don't worry.  NO FPS here.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 4 December 2007, 23:08:05 »

Uh... You mean FPA.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #19 on: 4 December 2007, 23:10:00 »

Yeah.

But you get the idea.

If it sparked interest in Metroid it could spark interest in Mega Man.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 4 December 2007, 23:14:53 »

No, it didn't really spark interest for Metroid. Nintendo knew they were over due for a Metroid game so they got Retro to do it for their lazy asses.

What Melee DID spark in was American curiosity for the Fire Emblem series... since MegaMan is already pretty much well known in America, I doubt him being in Brawl will really make a difference.

Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 4 December 2007, 23:29:41 »

Too bad in America Megaman is seen as a children's game to people who don't know better.
We can blame Capcom's advertising for that. TEH BLOO BOMBA ISH BAK!!1
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #22 on: 4 December 2007, 23:31:34 »

I also think Capcom should celebrate Mega Man more world widely.

Half the merchendise from Japan never even makes it here.  If they started celebrating Mega Man internationally and do it RIGHT, then perhaps there might be more incentive for Mega Man games.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 4 December 2007, 23:34:47 »

I think that a Classic Megaman game for the Wii would sell VERY well. It would defenitely be appealing to the young gamers, making new MM fans. And all of the old farts like us will buy it because we remember Megaman. The reason that classic Megaman games like the PSP one failed is because no kids have PSP. Sure, the adults bought that game and played it. But that's only half of the potential customers that the Wii would be getting.

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #24 on: 5 December 2007, 00:45:17 »

MAYBE if Megaman was made by Konami all along, we wouldn't have this wonderful topic, seeing as to how there was only eight or so Contra games in the past 20 years, and we ALL know those games are golden :P

But seriously, it's not too bad. Before we used to have only Zero and Battle Network to look forward to, with the suprise game here and there from Command Mission to the PSP Ports, so things haven't truly changed that much. I'm not sure of the sales of ZXA, but if the developers of it are going to be so stingy as to more or less "Pull a Legends" ending, and then announce that the fans have to ensure x amount of copies are sold, then they can keep their cash cow and let it die the death it deserves. That seems more like abusing your fanbase to me, as opposed to attempting to jostle a response out of them. I also could care less for what that team could do as far as any Non-ZX games go, given the level design in ZXa the minigame was really horrible, and the enemy placement as well as a bit of their attacks weren't any better. The quality of ZXa makes  me think of what they truly feel makes Rockman what it is, and while they get parts of it right, other parts are just so horribly wrong, so yeah, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to let their series die off and let someone else take charge for awhile.

Moving on...

Star Force isn't quite the "Force" to be reckoned with, that Inafune and pals once thought it would be. Sales were nothing special, and actually on the low side, and most import stores dropped the price down from their usually hefty $50 down to a whopping $15 in just two to three months after it's release, likely to just move stock. Heck, even in the stores I regurally shop over here in America, I never seen Star Force flying off shelves, with maybe a copy or two getting sold every month after it's initial release. Toss in the fact that the second game is supposed to drastically alter character personalities and motives here and there, and strays further from it's formula of story telling, and the fact that the battle system isn't really too impressive outside of a novelty, and it doesn't look well for that series, either.

Now the deal with the Wii is so far just a rumor that someone who apparantly has friends who are "Higher up" in Capcom stated, so I learnt my lesson with that one guy from either Atomic Fire or else MMN to put little faith in the words of such folk. The Franchise itself won't likely die out, given at the 20th anniversary event in Japan, they sold out of all the merchandise within the first 30 minutes, and had to ask people to leave the line, and they even sold out of their tickets much faster than Capcom had anticipated. Inafune was so impressed with the turn out, that he stated that he MIGHT make a new Rockman game in 5 or so years because of it, which you can look at however you please, but this leads me on to the next point of things...

Capcom underestimates the power of what they've created. From the way the Anniversary Event went from reports and whatnot, it seems that Capcom is really out of touch with their fans, which is what the true problem is lately. Things like understocking the store to not even having many tickets available to the event, and even Inafune generally being suprised and impressed with the outcome of fans, it points to a market that won't vanish easily, as well as possibly made Capcom rethink their strategies on how they handle things Rockman related. Sometimes the bad sales are Capcom related, like the PSP Ports to the system that wasn't truly on it's feet yet at that point in time, and other times it's just the fans finally stepping up and stating we're not going to take it anymore, as far as Star Force sales go, but other things they could be doing is improving their advertisements for the games. I don't even know a new Megaman game is released unless I hear people going crazy over it, given GameFAQ's and Gamestop and other places never actually advertise these things, so people like me that never flip open magazines are usually left in the dark, unless I want to waste time on Capcom's poorly made site now and then to dig up some facts, but that's an inconvience to both me and my time, and I have better things to do with that time, so that's on them.

All in all, though, I doubt Capcom will let Mega die, no matter how much he really should. You're talking about the company that to this very DAY is STILL pumping out Street Fighter II variants, and Mega's really no different in their eyes. Now if you want series that you'd enjoy playing to continue on with, that's up in the air, since most of the new stuff is hit or miss, being that Zero's difficulty was a vast miss with most fans, while ZX's casual approach is a hit with others.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #25 on: 5 December 2007, 00:57:44 »

I think what needs to happen is that Mega Man needs to go 3D.  However it needs to be done right.  See Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess and to a lesser extent, Prime 3.  These are excellent examples of good 3D games of 2D franchises.  If Nintendo can get it right then there is no reason why Capcom can't.  The just have to study the mechanics of a good 3D game and somehow apply it to Mega Man.

Once they can do that, then comes the time to move forward.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 5 December 2007, 01:02:33 »

The last time they went 3D we got MegaMan X7...

They just need to make a game like Legends or something.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #27 on: 5 December 2007, 01:05:14 »

Like I said.  Mega Man needs to go 3D but it needs to be done correctly.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 5 December 2007, 01:14:20 »

Which is what I've been saying! Grah, stop copying me! Hehe.

EDIT: OH WAIT, I said that in the one of the Legends threads. Yeah, basically I feel the same way as Xero.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #29 on: 5 December 2007, 01:38:58 »

I think what needs to happen is that Mega Man needs to go 3D.  However it needs to be done right.  See Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess and to a lesser extent, Prime 3.

No.

These are excellent examples of good 3D games of 2D franchises.

You just lost all credibility to participate in this discussion.  Metroid was, is and always WILL be a platformer.  NOT a FPS.  Prime is a FPS.  All 3 are.  Metroid Prime is the ANTITHESIS of a good 2D to 3D transition.  You want to cite 2D to 3D transitions?  Super Mario 64.  THAT is the standard.  Galaxy is good, but still not quite up to 64 pound for pound.  You don't change genre for a series and call it "Mission Accomplished".

Mega Man can work in 3D because it ALREADY has.  Legends is SOLID 3D Mega Man.  Minor camera issues aside, it is how a platforming adventure Mega Man game should be.

After clearing your painfully inaccurate statement I can say that as far as Mega Man's future goes, we're pretty #####ed.  If ZX, a poor excuse for MMZ which was itself a poor excuse for a Mega Man game, does poorly, no new Mega Man.  If it does well, we just get more of the same low quality #####.  We can't win either way.

Mega Man is dead.  That is a very, VERY sad fact.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 5 December 2007, 01:43:05 »

Get off your nostalgic tower and give the ZX series a try. It's really not as bad as you're saying.
And although I'm a fan of the Zero series, I still hate everything about it... if that makes sense. Thus, I at least understand why you hate that. ZX, however, seems to have taken the series a tug in the right direction.

I've been thinking, though... the next obvious choice for a 3D MegaMan game is another Legends, right? Well, I hate to say it, but releasing a sequel as a big-name comeback could be a problem. It's a bit intimidating, because a lot of people haven't played the first two Legends, myself included. I want nothing more than to be able to, but I simply have never had the chance. They're both rare games, too.
By releasing Legends 3 on a next-gen system with a large budget, they can't really... well... pull off the sales. I would hesitate to buy it simply because I haven't played the first two. I WOULD buy it, but others wouldn't for that same reason.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 5 December 2007, 02:30:17 »

Fool, Rez has played ZX many a time. Try as he might, he can't get to like it.
I'm about the same way, but I just hate Zero in general.

As for Mario 64 being a good 2D to 3D transition, I will always wonder why people say this when 64 feels nothing like 3. It's a completely different game, and there's no argument in the other direction. It's Mario, yeah, but in a totally different way than every game before it. The same thing happens in any 2D to 3D transition.

Metroid Prime is a weird thing. It's not Metroid. Could never be.
Prime 3 IS, however, and excellent first person shooter that feels like it was made for the Wii.

It is not Metroid, though, in the same way Mario 64 is not Mario.
Also the same way that Megaman Legends is not Megaman.

In my opinion, there is no way to transform a 2D gaming experience into a 3D one, because the feel of it is so very different, and neither can take place of the other.

You can shoot for 2.5 D, like Megaman X8 is, but that game had serious problems with clunky controls, and generally nasty looking environments and Axl.

Honestly. 2D to 3D transition? Not possible.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 5 December 2007, 02:34:41 »

True d'.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #33 on: 5 December 2007, 02:35:02 »

Get off your nostalgic tower and give the ZX series a try.
Right, nostalgia doesn't make a bad game good.  It makes you REMEMBER a bad game as being good.  ZX is bad all on it's own merits AND in comparison to the clean game play and presentation of the older games.

And as Chron said, I HAVE played ZX.  Beat both Aile and Vent's games.  I gave it a chance, JUST like I gave MMZ a chance.  It sucks.

It's really not as bad as you're saying.
Of COURSE I exaggerate when I talk about it to make a point, but it IS bad.  And it IS substantially inferior to any single 8bit or 16 bit Mega Man game save possibly Mega Man 6.  But even that's a close call.  At least MM6 has Dr. Wily.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 5 December 2007, 02:36:28 »

And the Jet and Power Adaptors, which I consider to be 6's only saving graces.
and what graces they are
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 5 December 2007, 02:37:28 »

I agree with the second half of your post, Rez. To the ends of the earth I agree.

Now that I hear you've given it a try, I respect your opinion. I just don't find them to be bad games - I find them to be bad in comparison to the older MegaMan games, but it doesn't mean I can't like them.

Agreed to disagree.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #36 on: 5 December 2007, 02:38:33 »

I SERIOUSLY DISAGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT.  GET OFF MY LAWN.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #37 on: 5 December 2007, 02:49:20 »

HOW D'YA LIKE TOMATOES NOW, OLD MAN?!
THOSE WINDOWS AIN'T GONNA' CLEAN EASY!

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #38 on: 5 December 2007, 02:51:55 »

And Nibbles just jumped over the gate.

You know, it's weird not being on the receiving end of that.

... anyone think that Capcom is still bold enough to try pandering to the current generation of kids with a new series?
I hear those shootan games are a hot item right now.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #39 on: 5 December 2007, 02:52:55 »

INDEED.

Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #40 on: 5 December 2007, 07:00:33 »

In the future there will be robots.

MEGAMAN Battle Network Anniversary collection -- DS

Megaman Zero Anniversary collection -- DS

Megaman portable collection -- PSP
And even later...!

Megaman Anniversary collection PLUS! Playstation
Megaman X ANniversary collection Too! Playstation

This is the future of megaman. The ones your kids will think you are an idiot to love

Just like Teenage mutant ninja turtles
Just like Transformers
Just like garfield
and just like alvin and the chimpmunks
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #41 on: 5 December 2007, 07:12:46 »

In the future there will be robots.

MEGAMAN Battle Network Anniversary collection -- DS

Megaman Zero Anniversary collection -- DS

Megaman portable collection -- PSP
And even later...!

Megaman Anniversary collection PLUS! Playstation
Megaman X ANniversary collection Too! Playstation

This is the future of megaman. The ones your kids will think you are an idiot to love

Just like Teenage mutant ninja turtles
Just like Transformers
Just like garfield
and just like alvin and the chimpmunks

I'm sorry, my good sir, but you're an moron. Save for Alvin and pals, the others are still golden in their own ways.

Not to mention Capcom won't port the Zero Series into a single package, and definetely not the rotting EXE games in their many colors and variations, since they learnt nobody really likes to buy such packages, not to mention nobody would waste money on the newest ZXABRA game when they can get four times the same thing at the same or lower price in a Zero series set.

Capcom's porting of past games makese the new Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions look GOOD, and that's not supposed to be.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #42 on: 5 December 2007, 07:21:13 »

You missed his point.

They've become terrible, and what they're known for is the terrible new version, not the kick-ass old version.

That's nice, dear.
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #43 on: 5 December 2007, 07:27:10 »

If that's his point, he should have just stated it, instead of posting dribble.

TMNT, even though it's on 4Kids, is as true to the original as it really gets. WIN
Transformers, even though it had a bit of an awkward movie, didn't do so bad. Good.
Garfield had that reality check bit a year or so ago in the actual comics, and it messed with the reader's mind, made of alot of win.

Besides, from the way he worded it, people's children will think they're morons because of the older games, not the new ones. That's more on him than the way I interepted it. *Shrugs*

Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #44 on: 5 December 2007, 07:33:13 »

I was stating that capcom's new games will be just crappy collections of the old ones... Or crappy versions.

Face it ZX is a Z clone, Amped

Starforce is a MMBN clone...

And since I want to start some real controversy, X is a classic clone, just with a new story line.

Now lets fight to see if Square enix is doing the right thing with the final fantasy seven franchise?

It's an old tradition with ANYTHING

MILK IT FOR WHAT IT"S WORTH!

(screw the fans, it's the money we're after anyway)
Aresian
Sniper Joe

« Reply #45 on: 5 December 2007, 07:33:59 »

*shrugs* You're all zombies dancing to the same tune.

Simply put, Megaman's future is that of something that will appeal to the new generations. Seriously, it's never going to be the same, so you can either live in the past, play the old games, accept "The Shape of Things to Come" and just move on/find another game series to enjoy, or suck it up and play the new games too.

I'm not going to say any choice is particularly easy to pick, but I found some enjoyment in ZX after EXE ended, so until they make something better, I'm just gonna tough it through. There's nothing else that can be done, we live in a new era.

I AM DJSonic!
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #46 on: 5 December 2007, 07:34:41 »

*GASP!*

How ever could I argue with such truthful logic and honesty? I back down from this one.

Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #47 on: 5 December 2007, 07:38:47 »

Final fantasy rant here!

I stand by my oppinion...

I just don't tempt the wrath of Ares.
Aresian
Sniper Joe

« Reply #48 on: 5 December 2007, 07:43:34 »

Final fantasy rant here!

I stand by my oppinion...

I just don't tempt the wrath of Ares.

lulz, tempting my wrath he says. No, worry about that when MChat comes. Everyone knows I'm more formidable on MChat than I ever was on the MBoard.

I digress, I won't be going into FF since this topic IS about Megaman. Unlike RPM (bless it's heart and soul) we talk about Mega here and frankly... it is pretty sad to see what has become of things and the road from here on out is bleak... but I too stand by my "opinion"

There really isn't anything we can do but accept the future of Megaman and leave the games behind.

Live in the past and only play the old games, think'n about the good 'ol days.

Or simply moving along with the flow of things, accepting what is for what it truly is and finding our own solice in the future that is on the other side of the horizon.

Or someone can get off their ass and make a kickass fangame.

I AM DJSonic!
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #49 on: 5 December 2007, 07:51:13 »

Make my own mindless entertainment?

No, I will wine on how others are doing it poorly thank you very much.

In all respects, I'll be trying out ZX soon to give it a full go around before rating it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : I seriously fear Mega Man's future.
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string