MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 April 2024, 22:48:07
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Computer Problems & Assistance
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Computer Problems & Assistance  (Read 6713 times)
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« on: 22 June 2008, 01:23:35 »

This thread can be used if there's a problem on the computer and someone is unsure or knows how to solve it.

Anyway, as I've stated before, I have unwanted wares on my computer that I need to get rid of. I'm STILL getting pop-ups like mad.

I'm paranoid and unsure what to trust. I'm constantly getting responses from a program called "AntiSpywareMaster" (I don't know if it was originally with my computer or not). I've now updated Norton Internet security and persuaded my parents to give me administration privledges.

Here's some screens of the problem. I just got these seconds ago. When these pop-ups come and I minimize them, they just pop right back up.

The 3rd one, aacpu3 is a random pop-up. I did NOT go to the site, and freewebs never gives me pop-ups.

EDIT: Does anybody know if these wares/viruses actually exist on my computer? Or is this a scheme to download something?
« Last Edit: 23 June 2008, 02:32:43 by ChaosVortex » Logged

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2008, 01:46:54 »

I read about those webpages that supossedly scan your computer. NO. They just sell you some kind of "antivirus" that gives you a virus and then with you need double money to "upgrade" that "antivirus" and the upgrade does nothing...

But  I don't think I can help you on anything else...
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2008, 01:47:44 »

When I was younger I #####ed up a computer due to spyware and viruses. I was a computer whiz back then, but less of one now in comparison to the vast array of nerds the world has to offer.
My point is, even with my all childlike bravado and computer-obsessive expertise, I was never able to excorsize the computer and it slowly slid into a state of... uselessness.

My dad tried to fix it, and he called tons of tech-repair people etcetera... and the only way they were able to fix it was to wipe the entire hard drive clean.

That worked.

Anyway, I've never had any real spyware since then, but if I ever get pop-ups, one smooth trick ALWAYS works.

System Restore.

I forgot how to get to it, but it's somewhere through Control Panel and other stuff. Google it. It'll restore your computer's settings to an earlier date. From my knowledge and experience, this only helps if you do it at the FIRST signs of spyware, like IMMEDIATELY.
So, if your computer's been acting up for a while, I can't promise you anything. However, if it just started within the last few days, you have a chance. Figure out how to do a System Restore.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2008, 02:23:29 »

Some viruses actually change your system restore stuff, so if you have a restore point like a week ago, it'll remove any programs you added or used. All other data will be protected.

I say get Spybot Search and Destroy, and AVG free 8.0. They work pretty well.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2008, 04:49:45 »

I just did a system scan using Norton. It found 3 viruses, Adware, "AVSystemCare", "PCPrivacyTool", "SystemDoctor", and some cookies.

And somehow, I'm STILL getting pop-ups. I'm performing another scan.

I'm also having trouble logging on. When I log onto the computer, my toolbar disappears and my desktop freezes. I have to log off and log back in and hope it doesn't do that.

I just attempted to post this exact same message awhile ago until I got attacked by pop-ups and the same thing happened: My desktop froze.

EDIT: Also, I intentionally wanted to put this in the AOB board, but I'm apparently off by a tad bit and I can't seem to move it.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2008, 04:51:00 »

Do what ASR said and do a System Restore.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2008, 05:10:37 »

It says it was incomplete.

In other words, a failure...

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2008, 05:51:23 »

There's usually more than one date. So, try a different date.

Otherwise, I'm never very optimistic about spyware invasions.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2008, 06:44:44 »

I think your #####ed. Samething happened when I lost MMMRPG.

I had to wipe the hardrive to do it. Get all the files you want to keep and do it. It's the easiest and least annoying thing to do.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2008, 08:03:08 »

Yeah this kind of crap happened on my PC. I had to get it cleaned out and they deleted the "thousands" (probably bull#####) of viruses and spy/adware on it. And I still get pop ups all the time on it. And now stuff doesn't even work right at all. I have absolutely NO sound and the only game my mom plays on it (a game she BOUGHT) doesn't and can't even #####ing work or be restored.

Get an external hard drive or something and copy over anything you want to keep, and then just wipe the computer and start all over, I guess.

That kind of ##### never happens on my iBook. Just saying.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2008, 13:45:13 »

Get Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, eDexter and the HOSTS file and your PC will be locked down like... mine.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2008, 14:55:34 »

I'd suggest going with the free version of AVG, myself. It's all I ever use.
But they're going pay-only in a few days so nevermind that.

This one generally comes from a trojan, though, like most malware.

System restore would work but only if you have a restore point saved before you got the thing.

I personally suggest either AVG or Spybot, and you should be fine.

Try not to run more than one at a time, though.
I'm sure you'd rather not have programs conflicting over access and slowing your loading speeds fourfold.

If you want to be dangerous, then try uninstalling it in safe mode, removing every file it has, and editing your registry keys.
I don't think you want to do that though.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2008, 17:21:46 »

Get an external hard drive or something and copy over anything you want to keep, and then just wipe the computer and start all over, I guess.

A great plan.

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2008, 21:52:38 »

I had a similar problem. You can go to a computer tech forum, they'll go step by step with you on how to remove it; that's how I got mine fixed.

Edit: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forums.html this is the forum I went to. I think you probably have malware.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2008, 22:13:44 »

So I'm trying to figure out how to have my computer run closer to it's potential. I have 2 gigs of Ram, of which 1 is ever really in use. I opened an absurd amount of programs while doing a virus scan, burning a DVD, and watching 2 videos and only used 1.4 gigs.
Is there a way to make programs use MORE ram?
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8806/cantitusemoreqk8.jpg

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 23 June 2008, 02:09:51 »

No more pop-ups, but IE won't let me view ANY posts here. It loads and never stops "loading". Again, I'm on my Wii.

Awhile ago my computer justs kept opening my homepage in multiple browsers over and over. I had to shut down. It was messy and aggravating.

I'll check out Tech support, then Spybot/AVG.

Posted on: 23 June 2008, 01:51:18

And NOW I can see this page.

And I GOT a Pop-Up again.

EDIT: Just thinking... all I REALLY want to save is my iTunes, music, Norton Internet Security, and default settings. How do I save that and "restart" my harddrive?

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 23 June 2008, 02:10:25 »

Get them, right now.
Seriously.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2008, 03:15:00 »

I'm working with Spybot S&D right now. All is working well so far with IE. When the pop-ups go away, I'll be more content.

EDIT: S&D found something called "CoolWWWSearch".

Is that it?

EDIT2: Woah Nelly. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4113.html

CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller (v1 and v2) is a new, real ugly variant of CoolWWWSearch. When running, it will close every browser window you use to visit a large list of anti-spyware-sites, and even will close Spybot-S&D and some other anti-spyware applications as well.

So if your copy of Spybot-S&D (or the anti-spyware application of your choice) closes a few seconds after starting, or your browser closes whenever you try to visit an anti-spyware site, try this CWS.SmartKiller removal utility.

Simply unzip and run!

Posted on: 23 June 2008, 02:43:58

Icons have disappeared, as well as my toolbar. Again.

Also, anyone signing in on MSN IM are popping up in the TOP LEFT corner now. Not the bottom right.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2008, 03:25:57 »

When it gets to finding that, just stop and remove from there.
OR when you get AVG free, find it on your HD and scan it with AVG free directly without opening AVG first. That's all I can say.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2008, 05:44:25 »

Spybot removed like, 25 things that Norton overlooked.

CPU restarted.

IE7 was installed.

CPU restarted.

Now I'm back on the Wii 'cause it's not loading ANY pages. Any ideas on how to make it faster?

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2008, 12:36:13 »

Firefox.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2008, 19:31:26 »

He can't install or download ANYTHING.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2008, 21:59:41 »

Yes and no.

Due to the ware attack, my dad gave me administrator privaleges. I'd say that's the smartest move he's made in three years.

But NOW I can't manage to load ANYTHING on IE and I think my CPU is slower. Songs on my iTunes were actually skipping...

I am on MSN though.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 24 June 2008, 02:48:57 »

Boot it into safe mode and uninstall crap.
Run your virus scanners from there, too.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 25 June 2008, 15:34:51 »

Well now my computer's #####ed too.

See, programs were randomly being corrupted for some reason. AVG and Spybot didn't detect anything, but then those got corrupted too.

Replacing the programs seemed to have worked... and it seemed like whatever was corrupting the files stopped.

But then my computer suddenly shut off and now it keeps restarting after it tries to load Windows XP. I can't start my computer at all now (posting from a laptop). I think the corruption process hit some important files in the System32 folder...

Now I don't mind formatting the computer to get it to work but I have some things on it that I would like to back up but I don't know how. :(

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 25 June 2008, 16:30:52 »

Stop being fools, guys.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #26 on: 25 June 2008, 17:06:32 »

Just what are you guys doing with your computers to allow them to get infected anyway?

I can't even remember the last time my comp even detected anything stronger than a tracking cookie.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 25 June 2008, 17:13:33 »

I've never had a virus on this laptop, and I got it freshmen year of high school.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 25 June 2008, 18:52:33 »

I'll try the safe mode thing.

If that fails, I'm purchasing a harddrive, putting what I want on there and reformatting. My dad says this will cause all kinds of trouble though and that I shouldn't.

Posted on: 25 June 2008, 18:45:04

Just what are you guys doing with your computers to allow them to get infected anyway?

Try having a father who's bright idea was to lock down his son's computer and prevent him from maintaining security while your friend pulls a selfish act by downloading junk on your computer without your approval.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 25 June 2008, 20:40:19 »

Try having a more lenient father and less stupid friends.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 25 June 2008, 20:45:50 »

Yeah that's ass. Although, it also sucks being the only one in the house who has to work out ANYTHING that ever happens to the PC.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 25 June 2008, 22:33:14 »

I can't even remember the last time my comp even detected anything stronger than a tracking cookie.

I did absolutely nothing. The only websites I visit on that computer are GameFAQs, this one, and other random websites that I know they are safe. Hell, I don't even use that computer to view pr0nz.

It may have been my brother... he downloads crap ALL the time on that computer... he sure as hell ain't downloading anything on MY laptop that I'm getting soon.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 26 June 2008, 19:18:38 »

It was probably your brother, then. Having your own computer will help out nicely.

Now then.
What's happened to it is what happens to machines when they get to the point that I wipe the hard drive and install a UNIX distro. I'm no comp tech, though, so taking it to one is probably a good idea.

Unless you don't mind starting over.
On the other hand, it's not exactly your PC, is it? Just wait for that laptop and don't let people use it, I guess.

Usually the safest way to work.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #33 on: 27 June 2008, 01:26:04 »

Well, what turns out what happened was that one of the RAM cards like, exploded or something. It's the older of the two too. The guy explain that the corrupted files are a result of this.

He also figured out why my graphics card overheated all the time... turns out the cooling fan broke.

I'm happy but I won't be getting that back for a few days.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 27 June 2008, 01:52:56 »

That's a pretty cataclysmic failure, there. Awesome, but a horrible thing to have happen.
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Computer Problems & Assistance
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string