MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 15:36:27
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Having Internet problems (on my Mac..)
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Having Internet problems (on my Mac..)  (Read 6851 times)
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« on: 9 April 2008, 19:57:21 »

So uh.. for some reason I'm not getting a connection with my Mac, sure, I have full connectivity for a bit, but then it just doesn't seem to go through. This problem doesn't happen to my brother or dad (they use a PC and a Mac), so I think it's just my computer. What I've heard is that I have to do is go into my TCP/IP preferences and click on "renew DHCP lease", but that only lets the connection go through for a little bit longer. Either that or I have to turn airport off & on again.. I have no idea what the problem is, I'm a bit handicapped in the "Knowing how to connect to the internet" area.. so..

Can anybody help me? I don't know if this problem is exclusive only to the Mac or not, but any info will help.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 9 April 2008, 20:04:41 »

Sometimes I disconnect from my wireless and have to turn airport off and then on again but that's maybe twice a day. I think it's just your computer. If your dad is using a mac and his is fine then it's probably a general problem and not a mac problem specifically. I'd check out the permissions of the computer that has the wireless router attached to it.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 9 April 2008, 21:25:55 »

I'd check out the permissions of the computer that has the wireless router attached to it.

Thanks Mike, I'll try that now..

One more question, how? ._.

LOL BANDWAGON
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3 on: 9 April 2008, 21:40:52 »

Macs are so easy to use all you need to do is turn them on and they do everything you want!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it.  Try going to System Preferences and select "network" and then try the "assit me" or "configure" tabs.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 9 April 2008, 21:48:52 »

"The cool thing about a Mac is, it's really easy to shut down..."

I've had connection problems myself and have no idea how I fixed it really, so don't bother.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 9 April 2008, 21:53:43 »

I think I'd have to bother, since it's my only computer. It's either fix it, or have to reset my connection every 5 seconds, believe it or not, but thats kind of annoying.

LOL BANDWAGON
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 9 April 2008, 22:28:04 »

I meant, don't bother to ask me.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 9 April 2008, 23:03:38 »

Oh, my bad. I thought you were, like, bein' a douche. : \

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 9 April 2008, 23:11:03 »

Then why even post?

Anyway Wind, if your router is connected to and want to check your connection settings and crap on a PC you'll need to go into your control panel from your start menus, it's straight foreward from there but I don't remember all the stuff. On a mac you need to go to your System prefs by clicking the apple in the top left corner of the screen.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 9 April 2008, 23:31:03 »

I know that much, but after that I really don't know anything. I don't know how to check the permissions of the router, I'm in the Airport configuration section, but don't know what I'm looking for, I'm just guessing that I can do something here.. I'm in the dark here.

LOL BANDWAGON
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2008, 02:11:19 »

Then why even post?

I was saying something already in the post but it was off-topic, so I basically said, "Sorry I can't help", while I was at it. Doesn't necessarily mark the whole post worthless.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2008, 13:49:49 »

The thing about Macs is, they generally DO everything for you. But in turn, when most Mac users have to do something for themselves, they can't figure it out.

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2008, 16:39:25 »

Regretfully true.

Theres also someone else who's having the same problem on a Mac forum, but nobody's posted a solution, or even a reply.. How depressing. =_=

LOL BANDWAGON
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2008, 16:55:50 »

The mac help forums are so successful for 2 reasons.

1. The reason that I stated above

and

2. The actual Apple tech support people SUCK.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2008, 05:07:29 »

YES. And so does the Help crap built-in to programs. But I expect someone will reply shortly, I've found that there's rarely a "new" problem that comes up there so lots of people have some answers.

If you bought your mac new, you might still have AppleCare. If you do then you could get your hardware checked out at a proper place for nothing/cheap. If you don't... Well, I don't have AppleCare anymore and when I fried my power board it cost 45 bucks just for The Mac Group run diagnostics (and they took their sweet time) and then like an additional moneygrab for them to fix it.

Then why even post?

I was saying something already in the post but it was off-topic, so I basically said, "Sorry I can't help", while I was at it. Doesn't necessarily mark the whole post worthless.

Yeah you're right, that quote helped. But really I'm just #####in' with ya, broseph.  ;-)

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2008, 05:31:05 »

Yeah, but ##### you.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2008, 05:58:07 »

Well, I'll just have to live with clicking the "renew DHCP lease" button. I hope that isn't a bad thing, I heard it works but still have no idea what it does.

I'm also getting Leopard soon.. hopefully reinstalling will help.

Oh, Mikero, I remember you saying you had an Apple laptop, do you have a Macbook? If you do could I get some feedback on that? I might be interested in getting one at some point in time.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2008, 06:12:47 »

I have an iBook G4, but I want to fitting to getting a MacBook (NOT a #####ing MacBook Air or whatever that stupid thing is called) in or at the end of the summer.

Yeah, but ##### you.

My my my what an excellent retort.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2008, 14:38:02 »

I have an opportunity to say it again, but I'd be whoring the quote then.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 13 April 2008, 07:57:15 »

I have an iBook G4, but I want to fitting to getting a MacBook (NOT a #####ing MacBook Air or whatever that stupid thing is called) in or at the end of the summer.

eugh.. I hate the MacBook Air.. wow it's the thinnest laptop EVUR! ARF ARF I WANT ONE! Complete bull.

My dad has a MacBook Pro, aside from being a fackin' behemoth, it's pretty crap and the entire design is pretty crap as well. It's slow and doesn't have much more space than my Mini, but that's just the insides I suppose : T

Still dun like it, iz ugleh.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2008, 18:13:44 »

I don't know about how the MacBook is, my friend has one and it seems OK (but he clearly got it because I wanted one and we all know it and it's pathetic because right after he got it he didn't "know how to work it" because he was a total moron to get it in the first place) but I just think the MacBook Air is retarded if only for having just ONE USB port and no DVD drive. Ridiculous.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2008, 02:24:45 »

the MacBook Air is retarded if only for having just ONE USB port and no DVD drive. Ridiculous.

You serious?
Stupidest thing I've ever heard. jobs r dum

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2008, 08:22:42 »

It's literally too small to have a DVD drive, so the only option is to get one that plugs into a USB port but OH WAIT you only have ONE USB port so you can't do ##### else unless you multitap your USB, and I have enough trouble only having two ports on my laptop that I have to extend it like that. World's thinnest laptop? Who cares when you can't do #####ing dick all without a mass of addons like a damn Sega Genesis with Sega CD and 32x.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 14 April 2008, 12:45:48 »

BUT IT CAN FIT INTO AN ENVELOPE

*shot*

LOL BANDWAGON
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2008, 15:30:48 »

BUT IT'S A MAC AND MACS ARE HIP AND COOL AND THE BESTEST KOMPUTERS EVER AND...

And that's what Macfag sounds like.  Airbook is, like all mac products, for a razer thin user group.  In this case people who don't want to do anything but access wireless hotspots to transport data.  But do you REALLY need a "full" laptop just to do that?  I submit the answer is no.   But yeah, the thing is built to sell more ad ons than the Wii.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 14 April 2008, 22:19:22 »

I can fit my iBook into one of those envelopes they're talking about. And in a manilla folder (I only said that just now 'cause I like saying manila folder, but it's true). MacBook is just stupid. The idea makes sense I guess, making a thinner laptop... But that's been one of the general things to evolve with laptops, them getting thinner. Except before they always got smaller when the time was RIGHT and the tech it should come with could be supported at that size. Air is literally a useless sales gimmick for a bad product. You know, like an iPhone.

Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2008, 13:53:08 »

I love how every Mac help topic turns into a debate.

Here's the thing. Plain and simple.

Macbooks have some very good capabilities. But 90% of Mac owners don't use them/ know about them. They buy them because they are pretty and expensive.

As for me? I own a Mac and a PC. Win.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #27 on: 15 April 2008, 15:19:15 »

That's like saying you own a bar of chocolate and a bar of #####.  No one is proud of that.  No one is proud to own a Mac.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 15 April 2008, 15:26:35 »

I wonder if Steve would agree.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 15 April 2008, 16:44:30 »

That's like saying you own a bar of chocolate and a bar of #####.  No one is proud of that.  No one is proud to own a Mac.

It's like you only read the fact that I own a mac and a PC, not the rest.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #30 on: 15 April 2008, 19:26:47 »

The rest is irrelevant to the fact you own a Mac.  But if it makes you feel any better, I DID read it.

:: give glass of ORANGE Juice ::

YOU FAVORITE!!!

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #31 on: 15 April 2008, 19:52:33 »

It's like you only read the fact that I own a mac and a PC, not the rest.

He can't understand you. Speak American like any good, upstanding PC user.

White Shadow
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 15 April 2008, 21:06:04 »

So you read it, but you ignored it.  :o

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #33 on: 15 April 2008, 22:55:31 »

No, it was just irrelevant to what he posted because there's no way you're going to change his opinion.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 16 April 2008, 06:06:19 »

My Mac and Windows talk to each other all the time, but the PC is basically just there to connect OTHER things (iBook, Wii) to the internet and to make some storyboard pages when I need a machine that has nothing else to do.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 17 April 2008, 03:23:05 »

So yeah, fix'd mah internets. I guess. Lockey lockey : \

LOL BANDWAGON
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Having Internet problems (on my Mac..)
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string