MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 April 2024, 07:14:49
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Super Mario RPG
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Super Mario RPG  (Read 9791 times)
Blitzkrieg
Metall

« on: 8 December 2007, 15:58:53 »

Anybody remember this game? I just whipped out the old SNES a few weeks ago and have been playing Donkey Kong Country 2, and then I realized that I REALLY wanted to play this game again. Alas, as fate would have it, my brother borrowed the game a year ago and I haven't seen it since.

But, does anybody still have any juice left for this game? What are your thoughts on it?
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #1 on: 8 December 2007, 16:00:42 »

I just couldn't get into it at all.

I hated the sprite style, and everything about it seemed really convoluted.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 8 December 2007, 16:15:28 »

I've played through the beginning to a little bit past the Hammer Bros parts or wherever you meet Mallow at, twice. I've never gotten much past there, but it was an interesting play. That was a LONG time ago, I'm surprised I even remember any of that.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 8 December 2007, 17:47:02 »

My first console RPG, and my favourite Super Mario RPG ever (followed by Mario and Luigi).

I have at least one playthrough a year. Smithy is badass.

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #4 on: 8 December 2007, 18:33:28 »

It's... So-So. It was my first ever RPG that I truly played, and it taught me about equipping items and stuff like that, but it really isn't a good Mario game when you look at it. Heavy focus on characters that were just for that single game, sprite style that didn't age well nor actually make the game appear as a Mario game, and the battle system is horrible compared to what other RPG's offered in even the older times. Plot was pretty good for a beginner RPG game, but take out Mario and pals, and it would not have truly altered the story.

Final Battle is a great example of how horrible the fighting system really was. It's just an overly drawn out battle with horrible music that's basically an ordeal of "If you got here, you're good enough to beat the game as long as you have enough items, HURRAY!", as opposed to team setup or general strategy.  Culex wasn't really any better, though he did make it so you would have to put some added thought into the fight for a change, even though the system was still limited as could be.

In the end, it just hasn't aged all too well for me, and nowadays I realize it was more of a cash cow bit during the tail end of Mario-Mania. A TRUE Mario RPG is Super Star Saga, as that game captured my very childhood, and manifested in the funnest game I've played in the series to date.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 8 December 2007, 18:36:49 »

Yeah. That's a really badass awesome game. You will find that all of the newer Mario RPGs were based on it. I don't know what the heck SB is talking about, but if she is dissing it than I disagree. I think it was an amazing game for all ages.

If you can't find it, get a wii and buy it on virtual console for 10 bucks.

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #6 on: 8 December 2007, 18:38:53 »

If by dissing, you mean pointing out that old stale game is old and stale, then sure, why not?

*Huggles Chrono Trigger Cart*

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
Aresian
Sniper Joe

« Reply #7 on: 8 December 2007, 18:40:43 »

Epic Lulz.

Well, while EsshBeeh has HIS point, I'll have to say... SMRPG was probably my favorite Mario game period.

Then again, I don't care TOO much for Mario.

I AM DJSonic!
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 8 December 2007, 19:22:27 »

If by dissing, you mean pointing out that old stale game is old and stale, then sure, why not?

NO! YOU SHALL PERISH! *Shoots you with a Geno Beam*

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #9 on: 8 December 2007, 19:23:27 »

It's good.  But I don't understand the cult of Geno.

How in the ##### can a doll gather so much popularity?
Aresian
Sniper Joe

« Reply #10 on: 8 December 2007, 19:31:35 »

It's good.  But I don't understand the cult of Geno.

How in the ##### can a doll gather so much popularity?

He was the obligatory badass character of the game.

Naturally he has fans.

I AM DJSonic!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #11 on: 8 December 2007, 19:32:43 »

Not played the GBA/DS sequal yet, but MRPG is still a solid game if not perfect.  It beats the Paper games hands down, and that's a fact.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 8 December 2007, 19:34:07 »

^ Agree.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 8 December 2007, 19:39:09 »

I also agree.

But the Paper games aren't bad.

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #14 on: 8 December 2007, 19:49:19 »

Not played the GBA/DS sequal yet, but MRPG is still a solid game if not perfect.  It beats the Paper games hands down, and that's a fact.

You MUST get the GBA game! Once you adapt to the different yet oddly fantastic control scheme, you'll be treated with one of the most enjoyable games in the series to date. It even has the Koopalings back as bosses, for crying out loud!

...Then again, it might not be your cup of tea, since the plot is pretty slapstick and arguably childish, though that's part of the game's charm in a way. Not sure how abused and mistreated your inner child dealio is, with the slaughtering of classic franchises over the years >_>;

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 8 December 2007, 20:12:49 »

I got both of them. They're alright. They about on par with ZX in my opinion, but Rez wouldn't like the sound of that.

I have all the Paper Mario games so far. They're all great, the worst being Super Paper Mario. If it gets onto the Virtual Console, I'll play Mario RPG. I only rented it when I was little and couldn't even beat the first boss/mini boss I encountered.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 8 December 2007, 20:16:20 »

I hate the GBA game and the DS game. So boring and kiddish. I hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em.

I'm SO sick of games for kids being kiddish. Does anyone know what I mean?

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 8 December 2007, 20:18:41 »

Super Mario RPG >> Mario & Luigi > All 3 Paper Mario Games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The crap that is known as Mario & Luigi 2.

I was expecting a great game, not an RPG dungeon crawler. I want to take back the time I wasted on that game.

The only good part was the 1337 Koopa Bros.

I hate the GBA game and the DS game. So boring and kiddish. I hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em.

I'm SO sick of games for kids being kiddish. Does anyone know what I mean?

You suck. M&L is the only game I've ever attempted (and beaten) a low level run of. I never felt like doing that for any game, EVER.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 8 December 2007, 20:45:10 »

I've enjoyed all Mario-series RPGs. I can only hope that they'll make more of 'em. I'm at least glad that they're done with the "Paper" stuff, though.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 8 December 2007, 20:50:48 »

... I'm not. I'd at least want one more sequel that can truly exceed The Thousand-Year Door. The one for Wii was interesting at first, but continuous playthrough got old, and EVERYTHING was just too easy.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Jakey
Robot Master

« Reply #20 on: 8 December 2007, 21:46:25 »

I have loved all of the Mario RPG's so far. 

SMRPG is still near and dear to my heart, I remember playing this one level that was like, a log jumping sort of thing... bah.  I just remember good memories with that game.

Super Star Saga and M&L2: Partners in Time were both extremely excellent in my opinion.

And though I haven't played the first or third Paper Mario, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed The Thousand Year Door.

I just don't have much beef with the Mario RPG's, honestly.

Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 9 December 2007, 00:14:08 »

Paper Mario for Wii was fun... when the actually let you PLAY it. The amount of play time compared to the amount of fillers and story was inexcusable. BOOOOOORIIIIIIING.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 9 December 2007, 07:02:02 »

...there were more playtime than filler in it.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 9 December 2007, 08:39:32 »

... I'm not. I'd at least want one more sequel that can truly exceed The Thousand-Year Door. The one for Wii was interesting at first, but continuous playthrough got old, and EVERYTHING was just too easy.

I think three of them was more than enough. They had it at the second, but then they had to make another one.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 9 December 2007, 13:40:36 »

Just played this not too long ago.
It's not a very good RPG, but somehow it still manages to be playable and interesting.

Suffice to say, I beat it without running into any problems or points where I had to level.
That's an achievement for an RPG.

Still, it's my least favorite of every RPG I've ever liked.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 9 December 2007, 17:00:51 »

If you can't find it, get a wii and buy it on virtual console for 10 bucks.

LIAR, YOU GOT MY HOPES UP

Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 11 December 2007, 15:25:28 »

...there were more playtime than filler in it.

Well yeah, I would hope so. I'm not saying that there is more filler than playtime. It's not Pheonix Wright for got sakes.

Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Super Mario RPG
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string