MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 April 2024, 02:52:04
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : What...
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: What...  (Read 7131 times)
Mikero
Super Robot

« on: 19 June 2009, 06:21:02 »

... is this? I don't get my game news from anywhere else but here really, so can anyone explain what this is?

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/innovative-nintendo-game-help-system-to-debut-this-year/1326709

I don't get it. It sounds STUPID and I've heard nothing about it until my friend sent me this link yesterday.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2009, 06:28:07 »

That's a big hearty WTF out of me.

But I guess I don't care? I mean it's not like I have to use it. But yes, definitely not needed in any kind of Mario game.

... Except Mario Strikers. But I still wouldn't use it then.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2009, 06:32:20 »

I would've only use something like that in Super Mario World's Tubular level, but even I managed to beat that level eventually.

The thing about games is that you keep TRYING and eventually overcome the challenges, not just go "halp plz" and just basically cheat your way through everything. Aren't easy modes enough?
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2009, 06:34:06 »

I would like to meet the person who got stuck at anything in New Super Mario Bros., and I doubt anyone can possible get stuck at anything in this new one either.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2009, 06:36:36 »

It's so thickly indicative of 2009 gamers, I can't stand it.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2009, 06:38:35 »

I've known about this for weeks.
It's pathetic.

When I was a kid, I had to put up with not being able to get past world 2 in Yoshi's Island.
Still never have.
But letting the game play itself ruins the concept of gaming.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2009, 06:40:49 »

guys i don't know about you but this is such great news because i mean i don't know about you but i am just so worried that i won't be able to beat new super mario bros wii

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2009, 06:47:03 »

No one will be able to.
Not even the Grimace.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2009, 06:54:32 »

My (female) cousin thinks NSMB is hard.

She IS a gamer, too... well, she at least has a D pad tattooed to her wrist much like my brother, and when they put their wrists together it says "PURE OWNAGE"... and they wanted me to get a tattoo like that as well and I just so can't believe it's even possible to be a poseur gamer but you know I've ranted about this before so hah.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2009, 08:14:04 »

Meh. It's not like you're forced to use it.

Let the lamer gamers do what they want. As long as they're not ruining MY gaming.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2009, 09:47:08 »

Fortunately, my gaming will never be ruined because I find nearly infinite replay value in most of my favourite games (I could play a game like StarCraft or Mega Man X or TIE Fighter pretty much forever).
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2009, 14:58:39 »

I'd sum up this topic with just this one word:

STUPID

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2009, 15:03:06 »

Just when you thought people couldn't get lazier.

God forbid someone put work or effort into anything.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2009, 15:08:32 »

"Hey buddy, whatca doin'?"

"Watchin' New Super Mario Bros. Wii."

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2009, 20:51:57 »

I don't think it's that terrible of an idea. If you don't want to use it, then don't use it. It's meant for little kids so they don't get so frustrated that they never pick up the game again or lose interest in gaming all together.

Honestly, I could see myself using it just to see how I'm supposed to beat one enemy or how I'm supposed to get by something. After that, I'd go back and replay the section myself.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2009, 23:20:35 »

I don't think it's that terrible of an idea. If you don't want to use it, then don't use it. It's meant for little kids so they don't get so frustrated that they never pick up the game again or lose interest in gaming all together.

Speed beat me to the punch.
Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #16 on: 20 June 2009, 02:22:27 »

Is it just me, or they keep making the average game easier' Are people REALLY being much more stupid than some years ago?
Videogame.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 20 June 2009, 06:17:12 »

I know games can get frustrating; I lost my fair share of controllers to Ghosts 'n' Goblins when I was growing up.

People don't need any more hand holding than they already get.

The only way I could see this being positive is if they started making games harder again as a result.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2009, 06:25:55 »

I'm with Edge. I don't think this actually HELPS anyone.

Meh. It's not like you're forced to use it.

Let the lamer gamers do what they want. As long as they're not ruining MY gaming.

They will. Think about it. Gaming is already oversaturated with people who want graphics over gameplay and such, and games are being made that reflect that. This ruins any challenge. And just imagine talking about playing whatever game with someone who used this thing to play the game, they might as well have just watched it instead. It's stupid.

I'd sum up this topic with just this one word:

STUPID

How is this TOPIC stupid? I mean, sure, the thing they're doing is dumb, if that's your opinion (as it is mine, obviously), but why is talking about it stupid?

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2009, 06:28:12 »

I think he meant the idea of having the game play itself, rather than the discussion of said topic.

TriggerUNIT
Noob

« Reply #20 on: 20 June 2009, 06:28:35 »

"You don't have to use it" isn't the real point, although it gets repeated alot. The real point is that this is a sign of the times, and no one seems to want to be challenged anymore. Games used to require some skill, and Nintendo spawned some of the greatest and the toughest. I grew up on Ghost's and Goblins... and I still play because kicking a hard game's ass is more fun than racking up 99 lives on EVERY new game presented by Nintendo today.

Am I saying every game should be Ninja Gaiden? No, but they should be difficult.

This is exactly the reason most of us look back on the old games like Blaster Master, Super Mario Bros., and Metroid with such awe if not only for the nostalgia. They FORCED you to play under the pressure of possibly dying almost all the time, the way the greatest games were supposed to be. I haven't bought a challenging game in a very long time, not one that could possibly get me stuck anyway, and it seems that Nintendo seems to be throwing that away because people buy games for really little kids now and that's where the market is at, and instead of giving them a challenge they are actually going to make kids feel content with using a minimum amount of effort.

See clearly through the eyes of insanity.
http://sologun15.freeforums.org/index.php
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 20 June 2009, 06:31:48 »

I have yet to play a Ninja Gaiden game that didn't live up to the franchise's legacy of kicking your ass.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2009, 06:41:25 »

I don't think there have been many games these days that stack up to the oldies in terms of difficulty, or if not difficulty then the amount of skill or practice you need. Effort. At least I haven't met them. I mean, the only thing "difficult" lately is just when a normal not-so hard game gets either retardedly cheap or just weird. I equate bad adaptive difficulty with poor game design. It's not that the game is challenging, it's just not worked on enough.

But even still, they really don't making anything so insurmountable you need the computer to do it for you. I mean, going and watching someone do it on youtube (which you could have been doing for years) never comes up. And having to look at a picture of the scene or anything like that is a rarity.

I think he meant the idea of having the game play itself, rather than the discussion of said topic.

I should have caught that. I've had beers tonight.
That's no excuse really, but...

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2009, 06:43:34 »

I'm certain that Chaos was referring to the TOPIC, not the internet slang "topic" which refers to a thread of posts discussing a topic. Being on the internet that's not a great word choice but it's all good.
EDIT: Mike posted RIGHT before me.

T-UNIT, I'm not trying to make any sort of point by saying I don't care. I just... don't care. I think it's stupid, ergo I agree with you, but I don't feel affected by it. That's all I'm saying.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2009, 06:51:08 »

Fair enough. I don't feel really affected by it either since I'm probably not going to play New Super Mario Bros. anyway but...

I don't know how Edge does it. 'Cause I can't talk to strangers about games at all. I can barely talk to some of my friends about gaming because they are, unfortunately, horribly wrong. And I don't mean they don't have the right to their opinion, I just mean that they have no idea what they're talking about. I mean the sort of people, as mentioned in another thread, that don't want a story and/or just want it to look good. You know, just stupid people.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2009, 06:54:27 »

For the most part, those folks don't ask for my advice.

On the rare occasion that I DO have to talk shop with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, I usually tell them exactly that.

I've told more than one customer that they were a fool.

I don't know why I haven't been fired.

Worse yet are the folks who think gaming is a waste of time, but will happily go home and sit in front of the television for hours watching mindless swill like American Idol's slow murder of real music.
Any pursuit is a waste of time if it doesn't sustain your ability to live or entertain you in some way.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2009, 22:12:21 by Edgecrusher » Logged

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2009, 23:05:41 »

How is this TOPIC stupid? I mean, sure, the thing they're doing is dumb, if that's your opinion (as it is mine, obviously), but why is talking about it stupid?

I meant what Edge and Majikn said. Why would I mean it that way?

"Guys, stop talking about this, it's stupid. I know this is forum, but stop. This is silly."

The only real "gamers" I seem to respect played the retro stuff (Mega Man for example) and most likely don't talk about FPS. I've met a few people who play Halo and junk a lot and they're cool too, but the other group is irritating to talk to about games.

Also, I agree with Edge. This crap would be very helpful on a handful of games that were practically or literally impossible in the old days. This function honestly doesn't belong in (of all games to pick), "New Super Mario Bros. Wii". The first one was easy enough. There are so many extra lives, getting a Game Over in that game is an embarrassment.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 21 June 2009, 00:03:07 »

You can get a Game Over in that game?

I was too busy having 99 lives ALL THE TIME.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 1 July 2009, 23:04:42 »

I have yet to play a Ninja Gaiden game that didn't live up to the franchise's legacy of kicking your ass.

I take it you didn't play Ninja Gaiden Shadow on the Gameboy.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 1 July 2009, 23:23:07 »

Nope. For exactly the reason you ask.

I WANT THAT LEGACY INTACT!

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 1 July 2009, 23:35:25 »

It isn't a terrible game...it's just I've been able to make it all the way to the final boss' final form without losing a single life.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 1 July 2009, 23:41:24 »

It isn't a terrible game...it's just I've been able to make it all the way to the final boss' final form without losing a single life.

I like this sentence.

Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : What...
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string