MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
27 April 2024, 17:08:01
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : WWII Vets are Badasses
Pages: 1 2 » Print
Author Topic: WWII Vets are Badasses  (Read 13889 times)
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« on: 4 December 2007, 06:11:25 »

Audie Murphy was a mother #####ing badass.

"Following its participation in the Italian campaign, the 3rd Division invaded Southern France[4] on August 15, 1944 (Operation Anvil-Dragoon). Shortly thereafter, Murphy's best friend, Lattie Tipton (referred to as "Brandon" in Murphy's book To Hell and Back), was killed while approaching a German soldier who was feigning surrender. Murphy went into a rage, and single-handedly wiped out the German machine gun crew which had just killed his friend. He then used the German machine gun and grenades to destroy several other nearby enemy positions.[1] For this act, Murphy received the Distinguished Service Cross (second only to the Medal of Honor)."

"With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from three sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver."

And James Henry Mills ain't no pansy either.

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. Pvt. Mills, undergoing his baptism of fire, preceded his platoon down a draw to reach a position from which an attack could be launched against a heavily fortified strongpoint. After advancing about 300 yards, Pvt. Mills was fired on by a machinegun only 5 yards distant. He killed the gunner with 1 shot and forced the surrender of the assistant gunner. Continuing his advance, he saw a German soldier in a camouflaged position behind a large bush pulling the pin of a potato-masher grenade. Covering the German with his rifle, Pvt. Mills forced him to drop the grenade and captured him. When another enemy soldier attempted to throw a hand grenade into the draw, Pvt. Mills killed him with 1 shot. Brought under fire by a machinegun, 2 machine pistols, and 3 rifles at a range of only 50 feet, he charged headlong into the furious chain of automatic fire shooting his M 1 from the hip. The enemy was completely demoralized by Pvt. Mills' daring charge, and when he reached a point within 10 feet of their position, all 6 surrendered. As he neared the end of the draw, Pvt. Mills was brought under fire by a machinegunner 20 yards distant. Despite the fact that he had absolutely no cover, Pvt. Mills killed the gunner with 1 shot. Two enemy soldiers near the machinegunner fired wildly at Pvt. Mills and then fled. Pvt. Mills fired twice, killing 1 of the enemy. Continuing on to the position, he captured a fourth soldier. When it became apparent that an assault on the strongpoint would in all probability cause heavy casualties on the platoon, Pvt. Mills volunteered to cover the advance down a shallow ditch to a point within 50 yards of the objective. Standing on the bank in full view of the enemy less than 100 yards away, he shouted and fired his rifle directly into the position. His ruse worked exactly as planned. The enemy centered his fire on Pvt. Mills. Tracers passed within inches of his body, rifle and machine pistol bullets ricocheted off the rocks at his feet. Yet he stood there firing until his rifle was empty. Intent on covering the movement of his platoon, Pvt. Mills jumped into the draw, reloaded his weapon, climbed out again, and continued to lay down a base of fire. Repeating this action 4 times, he enabled his platoon to reach the designated spot undiscovered, from which position it assaulted and overwhelmed the enemy, capturing 22 Germans and taking the objective without casualties."
Jakey
Robot Master

« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2007, 06:21:43 »

I'm pretty sure Audie Murphy was (and still is) the most decorated soldier in the U.S. military.

American soldiers are so badass.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 4 December 2007, 07:08:51 »

He is. ##### yeah.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2007, 07:09:28 »

My grandfather was in WWII.

That's nice, dear.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 4 December 2007, 10:30:30 »

I've always said that that is one of the only wars that I would have willingly fought in.

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 4 December 2007, 15:40:30 »

Audie Murphy mode in Medal of Honor is where you're freaking invincible.

Retrospectively Mills would have made the better choice, but then he didn't go into WAGE.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #6 on: 4 December 2007, 15:57:10 »

So was mine.

White Shadow
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 4 December 2007, 16:07:54 »

Both of mine were.
Actually, you'd probably find most of them were if you live in any country involved in the conflict.

My grandfathers were both mechanic officers, but whatever.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 4 December 2007, 23:43:07 »

So was mine.

Both of mine were, one won an award for shooting down 5 Japanese planes in 2 minutes, or something. That's pretty damn good for real life.
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 4 December 2007, 23:48:11 »

So was mine.

Mine too... Wait, was your grandfather a Nazi soldier?
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 5 December 2007, 00:51:28 »

Dude, Lunche, that's kind of rude, nobody wants to admit to being related to a Nazi.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 5 December 2007, 01:07:54 »

You're so very naive, Sano.
So very naive.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 5 December 2007, 01:57:48 »

So was mine.

Same. My great grandfather was in both World Wars.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 5 December 2007, 02:02:41 »

It'd be easier to ask whose grandfather WASN'T in WWII.

Also, what the hell did the Canadians do in WWII? When did they join in?
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 5 December 2007, 02:14:19 »

1939. First sent to battle in 1941. Canadians rushed to enlist. We did a lot. We have a lot of heroes buried in Dieppe and all over Europe.

Don't #####. Just because you don't learn our history doesn't mean we sat on our asses all damn day.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 5 December 2007, 04:21:17 »

In American History classes, we talk about how we were Isolationists, and wanted nothing to do with the war, until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Then we got up, and like the badasses we were, we won that bitch.

We #####ed up the Nazis, created a weapon we only had to use once, and freed the Jews.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 5 December 2007, 04:23:05 »

We used it twice, you moron.

I love how our history books paint us up to be the mega-awesome good guys.
There were motives.
They weren't all good.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 5 December 2007, 04:24:58 »

I had a post planned earlier that describes America's role in the way just as Lunche did right there. He pulled it off a lot better than I could've.

He's right, though. That's exactly what they teach us.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 5 December 2007, 04:27:17 »

I count dropping Fat Man and Little Boy as one strike.

Our motivation, as I understand it, was "These mother #####ers just bombed us! THIS ##### IS GOING DOWN, FOR REAL, HOMEY!".
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 5 December 2007, 04:37:56 »

We didn't strike against Japan full-force when we entered, though.
We went for Europe. That alone should tell you there was more involved than "getting back at the Japanese".

Two uses of a weapon does not count as one.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 5 December 2007, 04:39:15 »

Both of mine were.
Actually, you'd probably find most of them were if you live in any country involved in the conflict.

My grandfather was a payroll officer. >_>;

@Lunche:

Yes, just like we've "liberated" Iraq because we were attacked.

That's nice, dear.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 5 December 2007, 04:41:27 »

We're loosely grazing the Danger Zone that is politics.

Let's talk about badass WWII vets.

AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 5 December 2007, 04:43:00 »

My grandfather was actually in three wars: WWII, Korea and Viet Nam.

As a payroll officer.

He made Lieutenant.

29 years.

That's nice, dear.
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 5 December 2007, 04:48:30 »

We didn't strike against Japan full-force when we entered, though.
We went for Europe. That alone should tell you there was more involved than "getting back at the Japanese".

Two uses of a weapon does not count as one.

I've heard that FDR knew about the attack before hand, and let it happen so we could enter the war.

Also, it does now.

Both of mine were.

My grandfather was a payroll officer. >_>;

@Lunche:

Yes, just like we've "liberated" Iraq because we were attacked.

Did you just compare the war in Iraq to WWII?

This isn't the same, AT ALL.

Hitler really WAS a power hungry dictator, out to rule the world, and performing acts of mass genocide, and yes, the Jewish, polish, gypsy, and the rest of those folks really DID greet us as liberators, because they were in DEATH CAMPS.

This is not the same as Georgy-boy saying "LOL OSAMA ISN'T IMPORTANT, SADAM IS BEHIND IT, LET'S ATTACK HIM AND 'FREE' THE IRAQUIES!".

And soldiers were actually fighting something WORTH fighting for in WII, and though it may not have been straight reprisals for Pearl Harbor, we went out and stopped what was a straight up EVIL force, no doubt about that.

And I should also remind you that a great deal of Americans wanted to enter the war sooner. Captain America for instance, was created before we entered the war.

Where as everyone is still dumbfounded with the fact we're in Iraq.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 5 December 2007, 04:49:17 »

I was comparing speculative motives.

Not actual facts.

This war's like Nam more than anything else.

I changed the subject so as not to get into politics.

That's nice, dear.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 5 December 2007, 04:50:42 »

nam num num num

AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 5 December 2007, 04:51:26 »

you mean:

NAM NOM NOM

That's nice, dear.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 5 December 2007, 04:55:11 »

Something like that.
HEY, GUYS!

My great uncle Alex was around during Pearl Harbor. He was an awesome vet, really.
Made it through the whole attack unscathed.

He was having a picnic on the other side of the island, but still.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 5 December 2007, 04:56:40 »

That made me chuckle. >_>;

That's nice, dear.
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 5 December 2007, 05:09:51 »

My Grandpa was part of the 42nd engineering unit, and at some point, is unit was in southern Asian Islands, or something, for some reason. It was during a air raid, and everyone was told to stay in the boat, because the Japanese were dropping bombs in areas they thought Americans were. The boat was shooting it's own anti-air rifles, or something, and the ship's cook decided to go on deck to see what was going on.

He was crushed by a shell from the bullets of the anti air-rifles.

After hearing that story, I said "Well, I guess curiosity killed the cook!".

I can't remember whether or not he found it funny.
Xzeemo
Sniper Joe

« Reply #30 on: 5 December 2007, 05:35:02 »

My next door neighbor was a WWII vet. He was super badass. He flew in B-17 bombers as a gunner, his plane had all of these narrow escapes and went on I believe 50 or so missions. They made it back everytime too. I don't think any of his crew was killed in flight. But he loved photography and so he had all of these awesome pictures of air battles and crazy stuff like that.

In the end we are naught but shadows and dust...
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 5 December 2007, 05:46:20 »

Just because you don't learn our history doesn't mean we sat on our asses all damn day.

Silly Mikero, Canada doesn't have any history; Just rocks, trees and water.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #32 on: 5 December 2007, 11:02:44 »

So was mine.

Wehrmacht, cavalry.

White Shadow
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #33 on: 5 December 2007, 13:22:36 »

Go, Lester! Kill! DESTROY!

*dried up maple leaf skitters along the floor for a few moments*

DAMNIT LESTER

We do take pride in our rocks, though.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
ClickOutMets
Noob

« Reply #34 on: 5 December 2007, 14:51:12 »

My grandfather was in WWII, stationed in India or something as a Pharmacy officer I think.

I know this other Fellow, Ralph, he is a Pearl Harbor Survivor.

I'll put something cool here, just give me time.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 5 December 2007, 23:52:23 »

I just found out that MY grandfather has cancer and now this topic is making me laugh.

Then again, reading those bits about those two veterans also made me laugh.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #36 on: 6 December 2007, 00:44:12 »

In American History classes, we talk about how we were Isolationists, and wanted nothing to do with the war, until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Then we got up, and like the badasses we were, we won that bitch.

We #####ed up the Nazis, created a weapon we only had to use once, and freed the Jews.

That's fine, I just have issues with your country's apparently lack of global view. Not that any first world nation is really good with that sort of thing.

But yes, we were there. We did a lot. We bled our share.

My grandfather and great grandfather were at D-Day but I've forgotten a lot of what I was told since Remembrance Day in 1995.

My cousin is an engineer, he did Afghanistan twice. I'm not sure if he's going back again. He really doesn't have to, he's rich 'cause of it. It's not about the money though.

We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks, we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks and waterrrrrr.

(From a song.)

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #37 on: 6 December 2007, 01:56:19 »

So was mine.

Wehrmacht, cavalry.

Ah, so THAT'S where you get it from...

Nah, just joshing, Kian.

Also, another interesting fact about my grandfather.

He worked on the Manhattan Project a little. I forget what exactly he did, he wasn't like one of the scientists or something. They actually told him very little, and had no idea what the hell he was working on. He talked to me about how there were five men assigned to different sections, and one of those five monitored the others to make sure they didn't let slip any information. He ended up seeing a childhood friend of his, who knew more than he did, I guess. One day, he pulled my grandpa aside, and told him "Robert, this thing we're working on... It's going to win us the WAR!", and didn't say anything beyond that. I think my grandpa might have asked him what they were working on, not sure.

My grandpa was only there for about a month or two ( I think) and asked to be transfered, since this assignment bored him to tears.

Then when he heard about Fat Man and Little Boy hitting Japan, he was all like "Holy #####, is THAT what I was working on?!". Or something to that effect. I doubt he said "Holy #####", as he's against cursing and such.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #38 on: 6 December 2007, 01:58:17 »

One of my Grandparents worked on some of the other nuclear tests after the way, especially the ones on various Pacific isles.

You can see one of them in the opening credits to the US Godzilla movie.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #39 on: 7 December 2007, 00:32:57 »

Great job stating the obvious.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #40 on: 7 December 2007, 00:43:02 »

One of my Grandparents worked on some of the other nuclear tests after the way, especially the ones on various Pacific isles.

You can see one of them in the opening credits to the US Godzilla movie.

Godzilla 2000?

That movie was the funniest unintentional-comedy I've ever seen.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #41 on: 7 December 2007, 01:24:08 »

Dracula 2000 was funnier.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #42 on: 7 December 2007, 01:44:12 »

I'll assume you've actually seen Godzilla 2000 and take your word for it.

What was the name of the guy whose name the other guy shouted at the end right before Godzilla killed him?

You know, he was all

"GOOOZIIIIIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

and then Gozira (sic) ate him and then the other guy went

"[eaten guy's name]"

It went something like that. It was awesome.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #43 on: 7 December 2007, 01:57:59 »

Gojira (sic) actually.

I only saw it once so I've no idea.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #44 on: 7 December 2007, 02:29:37 »

I've never understood what "(sic)" meant, or when to use it.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #45 on: 7 December 2007, 02:34:06 »

Yeah, so did I, but I at least used to remember the name because it was so funny.

I just checked IMDB but none of cast's names sound right. Oh well. Basically, this one guy just shouts "GODZILLA" in a really exaggerated and overly elongated manner, and then Godzilla kills him. The guy standing next to him then shouts the now-dead guys name in the exact same way that "GODZILLA" was shouted.

I think that's the only shown death in the movie.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #46 on: 7 December 2007, 06:03:17 »

We're talking about the one with Ferris Beuler, right?

I've never understood what "(sic)" meant, or when to use it.

"As spelled in content".
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #47 on: 7 December 2007, 07:07:07 »

I thought it was "spelling is corrected" for the longest time.

That's nice, dear.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #48 on: 8 December 2007, 05:19:04 »

Both of my grandfathers served in World War II. My mother's father served in the Navy. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor and was moved out days before the attack, and he ended up serving out in the Atlantic Ocean. Oddly enough, he ended up dying on Pearl Harbor Day 1991 (First funeral I ever went to.) I don't know about any special things that he did.

My other grandfather (father's side), died recently after dealing with Parkinson's and dementia for five years. I don't know what all he did, but I think my parents said that he used to be on one of the "flying fortress" crews.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #49 on: 8 December 2007, 05:21:33 »

We're talking about the one with Ferris Beuler, right?

Beuler? Beuler? Beuler? Beuler?

(Who wasn't expecting someone to do that?)

Pages: 1 2 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : WWII Vets are Badasses
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string