MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 April 2024, 08:37:12
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  The Creation Station  |  : Fat man got a hobby.
Pages: « 1 2 Print
Author Topic: Fat man got a hobby.  (Read 43486 times)
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #50 on: 17 October 2008, 03:01:51 »

Many times. I've tried very hard to get anywhere in that game.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #51 on: 22 October 2008, 05:14:01 »

<-----Beaten it on easy mode, unwilling to play medium.

Posted on: October 16, 2008, 07:08:35 PM

I don't know if I should feel sad or honoured.

I've been plagiarized.

This video contains this crappy translation of Crystal Snail into Mario Paint Composer.

I'm not even particularly proud of that effort, and someone still came along and snagged it.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #52 on: 22 October 2008, 13:22:39 »

Great, now I have to play X2 again.
Thanks, Fatso.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #53 on: 22 October 2008, 16:24:52 »

You're welcome.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #54 on: 22 October 2008, 18:33:55 »

Ah, so that guy opened up your song in some Midi reading program and copied the notes exactly how you had it in Mario Paint?

Well, that's what most Mario Paint Musicians do... and like they say, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Also, whats with the loooooooooooooooong string of random characters in your first post on that thread?

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #55 on: 22 October 2008, 19:39:49 »

No, here's how it works.

The long string of random characters is the song itself, you save it by creating a text file in your Prefs folder (iirc) and copying-pasting the text in.

What he did was save the song, record it and upload it to YouTube, which is nothing by itself. However, he claims it for his own creation, which is NOT true.

That is, I created the MPC file, he saved it and uploaded it, and he claims he was the creator. I left a message in his channel about it because for some reason I'm incapable of commenting on the video proper.

Posted on: October 22, 2008, 11:33:01 AM

There, got the comment to work.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #56 on: 22 October 2008, 20:09:30 »

Oh, so that isn't imitation. That's just flat out stealing.

Well, you may have a problem getting him to do anything... his last sign in was a month ago.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #57 on: 22 October 2008, 20:26:51 »

Also reported it for copyright infringement (which it is, on two counts - technically an infringement of the original composer's work as she was not cited, also a DIRECT infringement of my implicit copyright on the derivative work itself.)
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #58 on: 23 October 2008, 03:24:08 »

Let's not forget the licensed Mario characters and such.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #59 on: 23 October 2008, 03:34:59 »

That too, but Nintendo is probably not terribly interested in suing every single person who's ever used the program.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #60 on: 23 October 2008, 03:37:54 »

Actually, they probably look at it as free advertising.
I know I would.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #61 on: 23 October 2008, 03:43:27 »

I felt like commenting "LOL plagiarism" but I'm too lazy to sign in and I felt it would've been better if you made the move.

Kill it with fire.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #62 on: 23 October 2008, 03:45:53 »

I'll help out with sometimes like ChaosVortex said, if need be. Not that that means anything.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #63 on: 10 March 2009, 22:46:53 »

I have enough documentation to substantiate my claim by myself, though I appreciate the offer.

Posted on: October 22, 2008, 08:07:06 PM

Yesterday I decided that it was time to stop just oohing and aahing at all the wonderful soundfonts and VSTs that came with FL Studio and actually use a few of them a little. Had to go online to obtain a trumpet soundfont for this because the program didn't happen to include one and I lack the equipment to get quality recordings of my own just-better-than-meagre playing.

It's bland, repetitive and pretty derivative, but it IS a start to what I hope will become a substantial, successful composition hobby.

Gonna have to copy the URL on this, because freewebs are assholes

http://www.freewebs.com/colonelfatso/blaaahahav2.mp3

EDIT: Hmm, they stream the mp3s now, didn't know about that

EDIT2: Just to make sure noone misses the warning this time
« Last Edit: 10 March 2009, 23:22:43 by Fatso » Logged
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #64 on: 10 March 2009, 23:19:59 »

The link redirects back to this page for some reason.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #65 on: 10 March 2009, 23:21:45 »

Yeah, I'll go back and make that warning bigger, it's hotlinking protection on freewebs' part, you have to copy-paste the url

EDIT: But really the solution to the problem is for me to get off my lazy ass and actually make a home page instead of just dumping all my files there.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #66 on: 10 March 2009, 23:25:30 »

I never did understand the whole forbidden hotlinking thing.
... it generates even less site traffic than visiting the place it's stored. Then again, these are capitalist pig dogs we're talking about.

---- As for the composition... ----

Wow, not bad. It started off kind of mellow, but that trumpet works quite well to set the true mood of the piece. As small as it is, it's pretty satisfying.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #67 on: 10 March 2009, 23:31:58 »

Sounds like a nice start for a theme.

Makes me think of Duo.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #68 on: 10 March 2009, 23:37:27 »

The initial thought I had for it was 'title screen', but it could probably also be expanded into a character theme.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #69 on: 11 March 2009, 01:37:27 »

I encourage you to continue making music.

I used "Save Target As" anyway.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #70 on: 11 March 2009, 02:05:46 »

You should do a mix of Storm Eagle next.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #71 on: 11 March 2009, 02:06:23 »

omg i luv storm egales song

LOL BANDWAGON
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #72 on: 11 March 2009, 02:13:07 »

You only said that because of Majikn's Sig, right?

omg i luv storm egales song

STORM EAGLE STORM EAGLE STORM EAGLE DUUUH DUT DUT DUT DUH-DUH-DUH DAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #73 on: 11 March 2009, 02:15:48 »

lolworthy.

In all seriousness, though, I have a Mega Man X soundfont and might use a couple of the instruments (particularly the synth brass and the two brands of bass guitar) in future works.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #74 on: 11 March 2009, 03:28:31 »

Blarg. No. Totally not. No way.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #75 on: 14 March 2009, 02:06:41 »

Synth-brass will be a no-go, it detunes too easily and I don't want to have to play with it constantly. Still pinching the basses and I think I'll find some use for the overdriven guitar.

Posted on: March 10, 2009, 09:11:08 PM

Wasn't in the composition mood, but WAS in the music-making mood, so I decided to continue discovering new features of the program while punching out a rendition of Mega Man 7's first fortress tune with no regard for polyphony limits.

Did you know that the synthesizer doing those damned bells takes over 40% of my CPU time when rendering in real time? I had to turn them off when not actually rendering the final project.

Same drill as before.

http://www.freewebs.com/colonelfatso/mm7-fortress1.mp3
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #76 on: 14 March 2009, 02:08:00 »

Blarg. No. Totally not. No way.

Just making sure.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #77 on: 14 March 2009, 02:28:02 »

Sounds quite close to the original, Fatso.
Good job.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #78 on: 14 March 2009, 03:07:33 »

Holy #####. That was great. I want you to make MORE. These are great.
Seriously, Nice job.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #79 on: 23 October 2009, 08:22:52 »

SEVEN MONTHS LATER...

I haven't been updating this thread, but I have been semi-demi-active musically. Most of what I've been doing has been pretty much just dicking around though and really not worthy of publishing.

But a few days ago I gave the full version of the Chip-Tuned Rockman album a spin, and decided I could probably do a more appealing Ground Man cover than the mixer did. So for the first time ever I've finished something I started in FamiTracker (also the first time using a lot of the functionality of FT so it might not sound as good as it could but I'm still reasonably proud of it) and can present to you:

Rockman & Forte - Ground Man Stage (NES-ized)

http://colonelfatso.webs.com/groundman.mp3

http://colonelfatso.webs.com/groundman.nsf

MP3 rendering and NSF raw synth data are both available. I noticed a couple of sound artifacts in the MP3 rip so Winamp/Chipamp users should pick up the NSF for best results, but ultimately it doesn't really matter.

Important to note is the fact that I used the Konami VRC6 expansion chip in the module so this is technically not an authentic American NES sound (American NES cannot use music expansion chips)

ALSO:

I've done some midi-stuffs for various sequencing/composition projects. These aren't nearly as cool so they won't get the kind of spiel I gave up there.

Download these and play them in MSGS (default windows midi synth) if you can, although quicktime should be not-so-horrible with most of them as well.

Front Mission: Gun Hazard - "Blue Sky ~ Blue Sky" - sequenced when I was bored one day

Following three were sequenced for a great big project to fill up FMGH's index entry on VGMusic:

Front Mission: Gun Hazard - "Violent Chase"

Front Mission: Gun Hazard - "Sentinel"

Front Mission: Gun Hazard - "Silencer"

And the last is an original I composed for a contest (while it didn't score last place, it was fairly low in the ranks, so listener beware):

The Ocean Depths (generic name for theme of the week in question)

So yeah.

Posted on: October 21, 2009, 11:25:28 PM

A NEW CONTENT APPROACHES!

I'm in love with FamiTracker and especially that Konami VRC6 expansion chip right now, so I pounded out another cover today. It turned out fairly well, although there are some nagging balance issues.

Mega Man X, Fortress Stage 1:

NSF
MP3

Again would prefer downloading the NSF to save my bandwidth and because of recording artifacts (I've come to the conclusion that my laptop's sound card simply sucks and this is the best I'll be getting from it).
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #80 on: 23 October 2009, 17:14:44 »

I personally like the Chiptunes Ground Man theme just a little bit more, but this does have consistency and lacks that one annoying part.

Posted on: 23 October 2009, 17:04:49

After listening to both actually, I'm unsure which one I like better now.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #81 on: 18 February 2010, 07:36:59 »

I didn't do much music making in the month of November, due to nanowrimo again, though I did decide to start work on a mock game soundtrack in Famitracker and have two tracks done (they're nothing like final, though, so I won't bother encoding MP3s or uploading the NSF yet) with god knows how many to go.

But tonight I was struck by inspiration and decided to pay my respects to the soundtrack of a little vertical scrolling shooter called Battle Garegga.

Battle Garegga - Title Screen

It's short, but it was freaking hard to do, because there is no way to isolate any one output of the YM2151 sound chip through any means I know.

Posted on: December 01, 2009, 02:50:40 AM

'FOR GREAT JUSTICE' FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

Zero Wing isn't anything like the best shooter ever, but it's fine, and so is the soundtrack. A sample, recently sequenced to NSF format:

Stage 5 - Submarine Tunnel

MP3 (180 BPM) | NSF (180 BPM) | NSF (150 BPM)

I rendered it in both 150 and 180 BPM because neither of them is correct (the actual tempo is closer to 165 BPM). Unfortunately, that's the closest I could get while retaining the integrity of the sixteenths (because practically every 16th would come between frames and thus have to be displaced). The MP3 is recorded from the 180BPM version because that was my preference and I wasn't about to record both versions.

Progress on the mock soundtrack isn't anything like spectacular. I only wrote one more piece so far, a generic-sounding fanfare for STAGE COMPLETE.

Posted on: February 02, 2010, 05:02:45 PM

New file host and two more game music covers.

Raiden II Stage 1: MP3

Yoshi's Island Final Boss: MP3

I'm not quite satisfied with the Yoshi's Island one (mostly disappointed in the guitar, but I haven't been able to find any better guitar soundfonts for the job), but it's acceptable, I suppose.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #82 on: 19 February 2010, 04:02:18 »

I love Yoshi's Island, and I can agree that this doesn't match up to the original. This one seems a bit lacking, and the original is just... so intense. I LOVE the final boss battle in that game.

Regardless, I DO adore the fact that you decided to do that track. I love it.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #83 on: 9 May 2010, 08:32:09 »

Did some touch-up work on the Ocean Depths MIDI and gave it new life in the form of SoundFonts and a "proper" title.

Submerged City with a Side of Fries

Posted on: February 25, 2010, 11:46:53 PM

Herp derp de derp updates.

A goal of mine over the summer is to learn how to take full advantage of the Yamaha XG MIDI softsynth I have on my computer. Here's the first fruit of that labour:

Mega Man X - Fortress Stage 1: MP3 | MIDI (balanced for S-YXG50, will sound okay but not great on MSGS)

Also, nintendo file:

Zero Wing - Stage 2: MP3 | NSF

And an original I composed for a sample-pack contest (you're given sounds and told to make music with them):

HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM

Placed 27th out of 40, certainly higher than I expected (although of course not BROLY TIER).
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #84 on: 9 May 2010, 15:12:55 »

I love the rendition of the X1 Sigma 1.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #85 on: 6 September 2010, 08:41:18 »

Hmm it's been forever, I guess I should fix that

Entered a composition contest for the month of August, the stipulation of which was that entries must be in 7 time of some kind, so I did a thing.

Didn't work on it as much as I would have liked to, and the first 45 seconds or so are far from inspiring, but it picks up as it goes so bear with me

HIGH-TECH EXPERIMENTAL FIGHTER: MIDI | MP3 (MSGS optimized, so probably grab the MIDI and you should be good)

AND SOMETHING ELSE:

I really enjoy the soundtrack to Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt so I sequenced one of the more awesome and recognizable stage themes

Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt: Attic/Science Lab/Icebox: MIDI (again MSGS so most people will be good with this)
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #86 on: 6 September 2010, 08:46:04 »

High-Tech Experimental Fighter was pretty good.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #87 on: 6 September 2010, 13:24:12 »

Oh god, default Microsoft MIDI instruments.
My ears.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #88 on: 6 September 2010, 20:30:29 »

I know, I know

MSGS is trash but it's universal so I tend to use it for contests (which usually stipulate GM1 only anyway because lots of people don't have an xg or other GM2-type synth hanging around), not to mention I get to spend all the time I'd normally use fiddling around with brightness/chorus/reverb settings on the actual composition.

The other sequence was started like a year and a half ago before I even installed xg so I finished it in gs. No real excuses there, just too lazy to rebalance/select new patches.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #89 on: 7 September 2010, 00:39:55 »

Ah, I forgot to comment on the tune, as I listen to this, I can't help but think it would make a really nice tune for a waterway type of level.  Like sluice caverns or something.

The composition is actually pretty nice, Fatso.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #90 on: 26 January 2011, 09:30:07 »

SEMESTER UPDATE

I haven't been doing much composition (pfft when have I ever done much composition) but last semester I joined a jazz band and a choir at my university (at least giving me a musical excuse). Choir performance video is still in the works, but once it's finished I'll probably share it.

ANYWAY:

Another Sample Pack Contest, another entry. A much better one (by my estimation) but it placed worse (35th of 51). Meh. The entries were pretty damned good, by and large, so I'm not totally disappointed.

Seven Proxies: MP3
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #91 on: 26 January 2011, 13:34:39 »

Considering you're up against a group with coda in it...
...35/51 isn't too bad.

Some odd samples in this pack, but you have a frantic beat going with some sort of difficult to identify genre being tapped into.  Seems to be the strings that make it, but they get sporadic at points, and maybe a little lost.

The end of this is really good, it's the middle that confuses me a bit.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #92 on: 22 November 2012, 22:17:34 »

WISE FWOM YO GWAVE

So in the last couple years, I haven't done much digitally at all, but in an exciting turn of events, I was recently (summer) hired on to do a couple of soundtracks for my friend who designs video games. We're fast approaching delivery for the first game and I was having massive musical writer's block trying to figure out the last track, so I did this instead (with a combination of the sound sets I've developed for the two games):

Plok!

Akrillic: OGG

Tim Follin is as much the man as any 'the man' can be.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #93 on: 15 December 2012, 00:20:06 »

Is that a Castlevania sprite in your avatar?

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #94 on: 15 December 2012, 05:36:57 »

Yes, Death circa CV4.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #95 on: 16 December 2012, 03:24:43 »

But not FROM Castlevania 4?

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #96 on: 16 December 2012, 10:00:25 »

I think it is, but the avatar is so old that I couldn't tell you for sure.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #97 on: 17 December 2012, 14:30:18 »

I haven't got that far in CV4 for so long I don't remember either.  I guess I should go check.

Pages: « 1 2 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  The Creation Station  |  : Fat man got a hobby.
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string