MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 April 2024, 03:07:58
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Best metroid game
Pages: « 1 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Best metroid game  (Read 25098 times)
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #100 on: 4 January 2008, 04:50:14 »

This is one of the biggest/first DUH moments of 2008.

Exactly. I knew it but I said it anyway. I was pissed off at the moment.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #101 on: 4 January 2008, 04:51:40 »

A lot of people agree that marrying cousins is fine. That Alanis Morissette understands the definition of irony. That cucumbers taste worse pickled.

They're all wrong too. ;-)

But the issue isn't wether or not the game is called Metroid. It's wether it plays like Metroid. Just because Nintendo says "This is a Metroid game", that doesn't mean the discussion is just done.

Thats why I said technically. And again with the, "it just isn't," eh?

You only gave Prime 2 a try, right? Prime 1 is a LOT better and more fun. Prime 2 is considered the worst of the series. If you try out the first one it might feel a little more like a Metroid game.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #102 on: 4 January 2008, 05:10:48 »

I didn't say "it just isn't" in that post, I said the argument "It is Metroid because Nintendo says so" is a totally moot point since we're not really talking about that. I'm just not bothering to repeat myself as to why I think it isn't. I also tried Prime Hunters, but not much. And I've checked out that whole demo thing of Prime 3, which I thought looked fun but the video of the battle with the Space Pirates where there's a ship overhead or something and you're on some round platform looked very non Metroidy but I'd have to play it to know.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #103 on: 4 January 2008, 05:47:31 »

While Prime 3 DOES feel a lot less like a Metroid game like Prime 1 and 2, it's still a fun game. Prime 1 is still better though.

Prime Hunters... not a Metroid game. Nintendo made that game SPECIFICALLY to be an online FPS. I find it fun on its own though.

And yeah, I misread your post there, sorry.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #104 on: 4 January 2008, 06:58:52 »

I've listed all sorts of reasons as to why it's a good Metroid title, so at least the "it just is" group can come up with a solid list. I'm curious why it DOESN'T play like a Metroid game, outside of "It's an FPS". As far as I'm concerned, all that changed is the perspective you're presented with. Sure, you didn't see through Samus's eyes before, but even now that you are, she's doing the exact same ##### she's always done.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #105 on: 4 January 2008, 08:42:48 »

Again, I agree. You're still running around on a planet (or planets, in Hunter's and Corruption's cases), collecting items to enter new areas, killing monsters and bosses with a power beam, and escaping the planet before it explodes.

One thing that the Prime games improve on, IMO, is the atmosphere. Playing MP in the dark through the eyes of Samus feels a lot more realistic than in a third person perspective,

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #106 on: 4 January 2008, 12:03:59 »

By simple limitations of the first-person view for instance, looking for hidden secrets stopped being the same. Maybe it was even 3D in general, that killed it, because things like a proper bomb-jump are way too tricky to be enjoyable. And another nice bit about Super Metroid was getting to places -without- having the required item, usually a jump-boost.

White Shadow
Kamon
Robot Master

« Reply #107 on: 4 January 2008, 14:30:07 »

The Prime games were less focused on exploration, unlike the 2D games. Most of the Energy Tanks etc were out in the open or required very little searching. Prime was a lot more combat-focused, which does take away from the overall Metroid feel IMO.

While I did enjoy the Prime games, they just don't measure up to the 2D ones.

MMM's pet Tachikoma.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #108 on: 4 January 2008, 15:54:28 »

By simple limitations of the first-person view for instance

That.  First person limits what can be done simply by the perspective.  And it's far more than just "changing the perspective".  Like it or not the platforming IS a big part of Metroid since 90% of the extra ##### Samus picks up directly allows her to access more areas by being able to DO more platforming.  Any FPS that ISN'T Wolfenstein for the Tandy has some element of level design that isn't just BOOM BOOM RELOAD BOOM BOOM.  Prime, quite frankly is NO different.  It's primary focus is on combat in a first person perspective and guess what we call that?

Nintend: "It's a first person ADVENTURE!!!"

No.  No it's not.  Myst is a First person adventure.  Shadowgate is a first person adventure.  Metroid Prime is a first person shooter.  Metroid is an action adventure game.  Not a shooter.  And how anyone who plays Metroid Prime can call it anything more than a typical FPS with a few extra bits of back tracking and Metroid theme, let alone Metroid done right in 3D completely baffels me.

Bottom line, the "Prime isn't Metroid" camp dosn't just bleat out "dur dur dur it's just not".  Our arguments are just as detailed as the misguided brain slug victims who delusionally believe Metroid Prime bears any resemblacne to Metroid outside a name.  Is Prime a good FPS?  I guess so based on what people say.  Hooray!  Is it a good METROID game?  ##### no.  And that's ok.  Just don't expect those of us who hate FPS to believe it is.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #109 on: 4 January 2008, 17:20:48 »

I enjoy a good FPS now and then, but FPSs shouldn't mix with platformers. Because it doesn't work. You can't even see your feet for crying out loud, how are you supposed to do proper jumps like that?

White Shadow
Voulnet
Sniper Joe

« Reply #110 on: 4 January 2008, 19:28:17 »

Worst nightmare for Rez: Capcom making MM9 a first person shooter.

Make mistakes. It's fun.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #111 on: 4 January 2008, 20:15:51 »

And another nice bit about Super Metroid was getting to places -without- having the required item, usually a jump-boost.

You can actually do that in Metroid Prime... I know I got 100% of items in five hours doing this.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #112 on: 4 January 2008, 21:03:51 »

You can't honestly say that it's missing the platforming aspect. There were actually a hand full of times where the platforming (see climbing up any of those tall corridors) became tedious. I will give you that, with the exception of the grapple beam, high jump boots, gravity suit, spider ball, and screw attack, none of the new power ups really expand your platforming abilities.

But wait... that's always been the case.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #113 on: 4 January 2008, 22:22:57 »

You can't honestly say that it's missing the platforming aspect.

Pretty sure I did, yep.

There were actually a hand full of times where the platforming (see climbing up any of those tall corridors) became tedious.

Because the tacked on "platform" elements don't belong in a FPS because they just don't work in the genre/perspective.  And yes, Prime is a FPS through and through.

I will give you that, with the exception of the grapple beam, high jump boots, gravity suit, spider ball, and screw attack, none of the new power ups really expand your platforming abilities.

But wait... that's always been the case.

Most of the powerups let you get to new places = platforming.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #114 on: 5 January 2008, 04:53:31 »

I don't know about you, but I felt a lot of platforming in the Prime games (especially 2).

Contray to what you think, Rez, platforming CAN be done in 3D. And Metroid Prime does it well (though sometimes overdoes it, like Edge said).

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #115 on: 5 January 2008, 09:38:14 »

I felt the semblance of platforming but I didn't really feel platforming. It felt forced. Because it didn't feel like platforming really and it felt like they just put it in so they could say it was platforming.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #116 on: 5 January 2008, 11:06:28 »

Apparently I just don't have the tenacity to differentiate between jumping between platforms and jumping between platforms.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #117 on: 5 January 2008, 16:27:34 »

I still <3 you though.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #118 on: 6 January 2008, 02:49:18 »

I felt the semblance of platforming but I didn't really feel platforming. It felt forced. Because it didn't feel like platforming really and it felt like they just put it in so they could say it was platforming.

Well, the second game has a lot of forced platforming in it, IMO, especially with the dark
world and light world crap. The first and third games are a unison of exploring and platforming (I can think of times when it's still forced, though).

Pages: « 1 2 3 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Best metroid game
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string