MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 April 2024, 22:44:38
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  The Creation Station  |  : The Fall of Mega Man & The Age of X (fan fiction)
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: The Fall of Mega Man & The Age of X (fan fiction)  (Read 4590 times)
Androcles
Noob

« on: 14 December 2007, 01:57:36 »

This fanfic tells the story of how the Classic era of Megaman came to a tragic end, eventually leading into the age of Reploids, Mavericks and Hunters. The first two parts basically cover the events that would have unfolded in Mega Man 9. Then the story goes through the highlights of the X series from beginning to end.

I've posted the story on other sites in the past, and both were drastically different versions. Each time I was able to make improvements. UPDATE! 12-28-2007: I have now included an extra section at the end of Chapter One. So the story now features a newly posted scene;  The Trial.

I still appreciate feedback, even though the story is now completed. So let me know what you think of it... especially if you actually like it!  ;D

Chapter 1

The Beginning of the End:

Dr. Wily has been misbehaving once again, and as usual Megaman went to his fortress to stop him. Currently, Megaman is floating through a series of Wily's standard traps like it's a breeze. He's done this so many times over the years that he already knows just where to jump, slide or shoot. Those dematerializing platform-blocks have always unnerved him, but he even manages to feel his way through these, as he carefully times his jumps.

But Megaman got a little overconfident this time, and he wasn't prepared for Wily's newest trap. As he jumped over a long row of spikes, an electromagnet underneath them began to pull Megaman down! Just in time, Megaman's faithful sidekick Rush swooped underneath him and prevented Megaman from hitting the spikes. But as a result, Rush got sucked onto the spikes himself, and was destroyed.

“Ruuuuuuuuush!!!!!” screamed Megaman.

He quickly spotted the power mechanism for the trap, and blasted it with his megabuster. But it was too late. Rush was gone...

Megaman made his way through the rest of the fortress, and then furiously knocked down the door to Wily's chamber. He spotted the mad scientist sitting inside a massive, skull shaped battle armor.

“You'll pay for this Wily!” shouted Megaman.

pow

POW

POW!

Megaman finished Wily's last war machine in record time. The old man came crashing to the ground as it exploded.

“Uh oh. Looks like I am beaten again,” Wily grumbled. “Okay, I've learned my lesson for the day. You can take me to jail so I can get waived through the system again.”

“It's not that simple!” shouted Megaman. “Not this time...”

“What are you babbling about?” scoffed Wily.

“Rush died in one of your stupid traps, you psycho!” growled Megaman.

“Whoops! Too bad for you,” Wily chuckled, sarcastically.

“Even worse for you,” Megaman coldly replied, as he aimed his megabuster at Wily and began to charge a shot.

“What are you doing?!” cried Wily. “A robot cannot harm a human being!”

Megaman slowly lowered his buster and dissipated the charge.

“That's right. You can't defy your built-in code of ethics,” said Wily. “That's why I always get away in the end, and you will always be my b****.”

“Don't you test me old man, 'cause I'm tired of teaching ‘lessons’!” warned Megaman.

“Oh? And what are you going to do, little boy blue?” taunted Wily.

“What you don't know is, Dr. Light made a little upgrade to my A.I. a while back,” explained Megaman.

“What do you mean?” asked Wily.

“This!” yelled Megaman.

BOOM!

And so, on what started as a routine mission to Dr. Wily's lair, Megaman lost his longtime companion Rush, snapped, and murdered Wily. The fallen hero was called to account for his misdeeds.

At the trial:

Mega Man sat in the Defendant’s chair with his arms and legs bound in high tech restraints. He wore a stern and constrained expression on his face. Dr. Light and Roll were among the many spectators in the audience.

The judge began speaking:

“We are presented today with a most unusual and tragic matter,” he began. “A robot once hailed as a hero by many has taken the life of a human being. Never in all my 24 years as a judge has such a disgusting spectacle disgraced my courtroom!”

Roll and Light were a bit discouraged by this last statement. The trial had only just begun and already it seemed it wasn’t going well. The judge angrily turned towards Mega Man.

“And what does the “great” Mega Man have to say for himself?” he asked in a mocking tone. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t throw the book at you right now! Well?! Will you actually try to make an excuse for your deplorable actions?!”

Mega Man kept silent.

Seeing that the circumstances of the trial were less than favorable for a real defense, Dr. Light timidly rose from his seat to address the judge.

“Um, your honor…” he began. “Isn’t Mega Man entitled to a lawyer and trial by jury?”

“I’ll be darned if I’m going to let some robot have the equal rights to a human!” The judge angrily sputtered.

“What then, was the purpose of holding a trial at all?” inquired Dr. Light.

“I’m warning you “doctor;” another outburst like that and I’m holding you in contempt of court!”

“But, but… well, I uh...” Dr. Light stammered in confusion.

“I’ll be frank with you Light,” the judge continued. “I am a man who both hates and fears technology… as well as the color blue! I'm very well aware that this so called “Mega Man” of yours has gained many fans over the years, but I assure you that I am not one of them!”

Roll was visibly startled by the judge’s harsh words. He continued his rant.

“From the very beginning, I was opposed to the idea of equipping mere machines with such deadly force and allowing them to interfere in the affairs of human beings. I have long suspected the potential dangers of such an irresponsible arrangement. And furthermore Dr. Light, I am not in the mood for any shenanigans in my courtroom, especially from the likes of you! If you came here today expecting to garner an acquittal by shifting the public opinion in your favor, you are sadly mistaken. I have tolerated your and Mega Man's shameless showboating in the media for years, and now I will do anything to make sure this smug +#$tard gets sent up the river without a paddle! Do I make myself clear?!

Dr. Light just groaned and sat back down.

“Good,” said the judge. “In that case, if the defense rests…”

“But this isn't fair!” Roll suddenly shouted, as she jumped up from her seat.

“Oh?” the judge remarked, inquisitively. “What's with this spunky ‘skirt’?”

“Mega Man should be allowed to tell his side of the story!” Roll protested.

“I gave him his chance to speak,” said the judge.

“Tell them Mega Man! Won't you say something?” Roll pleaded, looking straight at him.

Mega Man averted his eyes from hers, with an agitated look of shame.

“Then I'll say something!” Roll began, as she turned towards the audience. “Mega Man has been a loyal, self sacrificing, protector of the people for many years! He has saved countless lives, often at the risk of his own.”

“Hardly an equivalent risk!” the judge scoffed. “A robot's life is worth nothing compared to that of a human.”

“But Dr. Wily was a fiendish human who endangered countless millions on a regular basis!” argued Roll. “Mega Man was the only one to ever stand up to him, but no matter how many times he put him away in prison, Wily always returned to the same–

“Now hold on little missy!” the judge interrupted. “Are you trying to undermine our law enforcement officers and criminal justice system?!

“I'm just saying that the prison system never reformed or restrained Wily for very long, and Mega Man is really the best protection any of us has against major threats to our society,” said Roll.

“Enough!” the judge yelled. “If you keep running your mouth it's going to be your cute behind sitting in the Defendant's chair next!”

Roll sank back to her seat in defeat.

“I trust that there will be no further interruptions,” the judge said, menacingly.

No one uttered another word of objection. The entire assembly was silent.

“Very well then, I shall conclude these proceedings,” he said, turning towards Mega Man.

“Mega Man, you are hereby eternally decommissioned from your duties! Guards! Take him away for dismantling!”

The guards led a dejected looking Mega Man out of the courtroom. As they entered the streets outside, Protoman observed them from a nearby rooftop.

“All those years of loyal service, and this is the thanks he gets?” Protoman wondered aloud.

He shook his head, realizing that this was the reason he didn't stick his neck out for other people.

Meanwhile, back inside the courtroom:

With the case settled, the judge had left the courtroom. The District Attorney just stood there with his mouth hanging open.

“Well, it seems the judge argued my case for me!” he thought to himself.

The DA turned towards Dr. Light to get at least one jab in against him.

“Don’t think this is over, Light” he scowled. “You won’t be off the hook that easily for your role in all this.”

Dr. Light shifted nervously in his seat.

“I’ll see to it that you never create another robot again!” said the DA. “New laws are already being formulated on this matter. I’ll be seeing you again soon,” he concluded, as he exited the room.

“Ohh!” Dr. Light moaned. “What am I going to do Roll? Things can’t get much worse than this!"

But unbeknownst to Dr. Light and everyone else in the general public, Dr. Wily had a chip implanted in his head, which transmitted all neural data from his brain to the main computer in his laboratory. Upon his death, the computer stopped receiving this data and was then signaled to boot up a virtual copy of Wily's mind in the computer. This enabled Wily to manipulate various machinery in the building. Before long, Wily's lab was up and running again and operations soon commenced on a new project: The Completion of Zero.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 21:20:11 by Androcles » Logged
Dr.
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2007, 02:00:19 »

Not half bad.

Dctr`
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2007, 03:23:25 »

This is more like a summation of events than an actual tale.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2007, 11:59:37 »

I searched the page for the word "Zero" to decide if I wanted to read it or not.

Androcles
Noob

« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2007, 16:24:04 »

This is more like a summation of events than an actual tale.

You make a good point. I can maybe use that feedback to improve that chapter at a later date. I should probably show more of what went on at the trial. I'll try to keep it in mind for later chapters too. But at least MMM still has the benefit of my previous improvements to the story, and I'm still making some adjustments on the next chapters (like chpater 2).

Thanks for your comments so far, everyone. This is definitely a story that mentions or involves Zero in each chapter, for better or worse. He's one of my favorite characters after all. Actually I prefer the X series overall. Anyway, I'll be posting the chapters very frequently.

So the story continues...

Chapter 2

One worrisome day, at Light Labs:

In his despair, Dr. Light became an alcoholic in the weeks following the incident. He starts speaking in the slurred, Elmer Fudd voice from the english version of Megaman 8. Today, Dr. Light is brooding in his armchair, reflecting on his recent troubles and the loss of Megaman. He heard footsteps approaching.

”Iz… Iz thad you Mega Mwan?” he sputtered, deliriously.

“Dr. Light, are you feeling okay?” asked Roll.

“Ah... Ids you Woll,” sighed Dr. Light, in slurred speech. “I guess I still 'ave you, don' I? Hic!”

“You don't look so well Dr. Light,” observed Roll. “Are you sick?”

“Jus' a bwit chilly...” replied Dr. Light.

He takes a swig from a bottle of scotch and sighs with satisfaction.

“Ahh... HIC! This is the on-wee thing thad can keep me warm these days.”

“Dr. Light, you said you'd stop drinking!” cried Roll.

“Nevuh-mind thad... HIC!”

He get's up and stumbles toward Roll.

“You’re th’ only one weft now,” he whimpered sadly. “Bud why did id have to be Mega? Why my Mega Mwan? Urgh...” Light started to pass out!

“Dr. Light!” Roll cried.

“Ungh!” she grunted as the portly old man collapsed on top of her and passed out.

“Oh Dr. Light...” said Roll, sorrowfully.

Just then, Protoman happened to be stopping by to see how Dr. Light and company were holding up. He teleports into the scene.

“Hey Dr. Light, I just stopped by to... huh???” asked a stunned Protoman. “Dr Light?! What are you–“

“Protoman!” cried Roll, in embarrassment. “Um, Dr. Light was drinking again and got a bit tipsy,” she explained.

“What?! So it’s come to this, eh?” observed Protoman.

“He's not always like this,” explained Roll. “But ever since Megaman...”

“I see,” Protoman sighed.

He helps lift the pathetic old soul off of her, and she puts him to bed.

Late that night, at Wily's lab:

“Zero, my masterpiece. You are finally complete,” Wily proclaimed.

Zero's eyes open as he sits upright.

“Now you will carry out my revenge on the one responsible for my death,” continued Wily. “Our rivalry is what gives me motivation in life, and so I have returned from the grave for this purpose. I will not rest until I have finally defeated him.”

Zero stares up blankly as he listens.

“Now go!” commanded Wily. “Destroy him! That's an order.”

With a devious grin on his face, Zero grabs hold of his saber as he gladly sets off to carry out his mission.

Early the next morning; at Light Labs:

“Good morning Roll,” said Dr. Light, groggily.

“Dr. Light, you're awake!” said Roll. “Are you feeling any better?”

“I will as soon as you hand me that bourbon,” replied Dr. Light.

“But Dr. Light...”

“What good are you to me if you can't even follow simple household instructions?!” yelled Dr. Light. “You're no Mega Man, but you should at least be capapble of that much!”

Roll reluctantly complies, against her better judgement.

GULP, GULP, GULP. Dr. Light chugs down some of the whiskey. “Yes, Thadt'z what I needed!”

Within moments Dr. Light is tipsy again, although not half as drunk as last night.

“Come here Roll,” instructed Dr. Light. “I have somethin' to show you. HIC!”

“What for? I thought you said I was usesless to you.” said Roll, with her head turned down dejectedly.

“Will you just follow me to the workroom!” snapped Dr. Light.

Roll just stood there, looking hurt.

“Look, I know I haven't been the easiest person to be around lately, and I'm sorry for that,” said Dr. Light. “But what I have to show you is of the utmost importance. That's why I'm entrusting it to you.”

Roll started to smile a little.

“No one outside of this lab must know what's being stored behind that door.” said Dr. Light.

“Oh, I get it!” said Roll. “Now that you mention it, I thought you had been building something new recently.” she whispered.

“That's right, it's my most important project yet,” said Dr. Light as he took another gulp of whiskey. “Follow me.”

The two of them enter Light's secret workroom, sealing the door shut behind them. There is a capsule in the center of the room. Dr. Light unveils the cover to reveal...

“Megaman?!” asked Roll, in surprise.

“Not quite,” explained Dr. Light. “Lying before you in this capsule is the most advanced wobot known to man.”

“Wobot?” asked Roll. “Oh! you mean robot?”

“Just listen!” snapped Light. “I've designed this new-model robot in the likeness of Megaman as a sort of memorial to him. It's my way of giving him a second chance. But he'll have to stay in this capsule for 30 years so diagnostics can be run on his system to insure he will remain loyal to humans. I might not be around for that long, especially with the way I be drinking. So when the time comes, I want you to activate Megaman X and help him to wield his considerable power wisely. Do you understand your responsibility?”

“Wow Dr. Light, I don't know what to say,” answered Roll. “What should I do to prepare myself? I'll probably get battle upgrades just like-”

“Now hold on, let's not get ahead of ourselves.” Dr. Light chuckled. “For right now, I hear somebody at the door. You'd better go see who it is.”

“Oh, all right,” Roll said, with a grin.

Roll heads out to the front door and sees a red armored robot with long blonde hair waiting in the foyer. He has his saber, but it's in the off position so there's no blade visible.

“What does this guy want, interrupting us right when we were getting to the good part!” Roll exclaimed. “Oh well, at least he's cute. I wonder who he is?”

At the same time, Beat flew out of Auto's workshop to come see who was at the door. The bird twitters up beside Roll as she walks forward to greet their guest.

“Excuse me sir, can I help–”

Zero clasped his hand over Roll's mouth.

“Mmm!!!” Roll let out a muffled scream.

Zero quickly pressed the saber hilt up against her abdomen and turned it on!

BZZZZZZzzzwish!

“Ahhh!” Roll shrieks; a stunned expression on her face.

“Hmph!” Zero chuckled, with a sadistic grin.

With the blade still piercing through her, Roll slumped backwards.

“I- I've failed you Dr. Light...,” she gasped, as a tear fell from her eye.

The energy of the saber pulses through Roll all the way up to her skull, completely blowing her brains/CPU out. Her chest explodes open and she collapsed to the ground.

“Weakling...” muttered Zero.

“Tweet!” Beat frantically flees from the scene. He makes his way all the way back to Auto's workshop.

“TWEET TWEET TWEET!” Beat cried.

“What's gotten into you, you silly little birdbrain?” asked Auto.

“TWEET! TWEET!” Beat tries to tug on Auto to lead him out of the workshop.

“Alright, alright!” said Auto. “Let's go see what's gotten you so worked up little fella.”

Beat leads Auto back into the front room where Roll's lifeless body is sprawled out on the floor.

“What the-?!” exclaimed Auto. “How can it be?! Who would do such a thing?!”

“Mwah ha haaa!” came a voice from behind.

“Huh? NO!” cried Auto. “Urghh!”

Shortly thereafter, Protoman stops by to check-in on everyone at Light Labs again. As he enters the building he's met with a horrific sight. Auto is just sitting there on the floor... dead. The remains of Beat are shoved down his throat. Roll is still lying there next to him, totally fried.

“No way!” gasped Protoman. “How can this be?!”

He dashes through the lab searching for survivors or intruders. The lab is disheveled as if someone has already been searching through it, furiously. He comes to the door of Dr. Light's workroom and sees that it's sealed shut.

“Dr. Light! Are you in there?! It's Protoman!”

The door opens and Dr. Light quickly pulls Protoman inside.

“Are you all right doctor?” asked Protoman. “It looks like someone tore through here and... they got Roll and Auto.”

“Yes, I know,” said Dr. Light, gravely. “Protoman, something terrible has happened! The lab is under attack by the most wickedly powerful robot I've ever seen. It looks like one of Wily's!”

“He must have had a sleeper unit programed to activate in his absence,” said Protoman. “I'll have to go confront it.”

“Wait Protoman! Its power is like nothing you've ever encountered in the past. It rivals the next-generation model I just finished building in this capsule. This thing is way beyond you.”

“Hold on,” said Protoman. “You have a robot in here that could beat this thing?”

“Perhaps, but he's not ready,” Dr. Light explained. “I'm still running tests on him to determine his loyalty.”

“Can't we test him on the battlefield right now?!” urged Protoman.

“I must know if he will uphold the laws of robotics!” Light insisted.

“Then that leaves me to face this guy alone!” said an exasperated Protoman

“No!” said Dr. Light. “You must flee, Protoman. You're no match for him.”

“I'll determine that for myself!” said Protoman. “Anyway, it doesn't look like we have much choice. Sounds like he found our hiding place.”

BANG! CLANK!

Zero was outside the fortified door, trying to pound his way in.

“Don't worry Dr. Light, I'll find a way,” said Protoman, as he stood at the ready. “Megaman always did...” he said somberly.

Dr. Light cowered in the back of the workshop.

“I've got to preserve X at all cost,” thought Dr. Light. He rushed to the capsule and started typing a message on the keypad.

WARNING:

"X" is the first of a new generation of robots which contain an innovative new feature - The ability to think, feel and make their own decisions. However this ability could be very dangerous if "X" were to break the first rule of robotics, "A robot must never harm a human being". The results would be disastrous and I fear that no force on Earth could stop him.

Approximately 30 years will be required before we can safely confirm his reliability. Unfortunately I will not live to see that day, nor do I have anyone to carry on my work. Therefore, I have decided to seal him in this capsule, which will test his internal systems until his reliability has been confirmed. Please do not disturb the capsule until that time.

"X" possesses great risks as well as great possibilities. I can only hope for the best.

September 18, 20XX

T. Light

“There. 30 years worth of loyalty ought to do it,” said Dr. Light, as Zero was already roughing Protoman up at the other end of the room.

BAM! Protoman crashed into the wall from one of Zero's blows.

“You- you're strong,” coughed Protoman. “Maybe my strength wasn't enough after all. But I won't back down!”

Protoman leapt from the ground, landing a solid blow against Zero. But the harder he came at him, the more Zero seemed to be enjoying the fight! Dr. Light saw everything from the back of the room.

“He's merely toying with him,” observed Light. “That monster robot could end this fight at any moment, but he's taking pleasure in the combat! It won't end well...” he concluded.

With that, Dr. Light initiated the self-destruct function of the lab, destroying the entire structure. The blast also finished Protoman off, and left X and Zero buried underground. They laid there unconscious for years to come; the living legacies of two of the greatest scientific minds in history. What fate would await them in the future? Only time would tell.

Actually chapter 3 will tell. But what did you think of this chapter? Personally I think it's at least better than the first one! Incidentally, this is like the G-rated version of the chapter compared to the original, but I quite like this version. But what do you think? If you have any thoughts, please go ahead and comment. Whether you thought it was a ridiculous disgrace or a triumphant and plausible rendition of the events.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2007, 21:17:00 »

Reads like every other version of this story I've ever read, but at least it's not completely horrible.
Actually, it's not bad at all.

It is interesting how you've painted the information we get in X and X4.

The last part of chapter 2 could be expounded a bit, made much more dramatic with Light talking to Zero during the destruct sequence.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2007, 08:58:21 »

GULP, GULP, GULP.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Androcles
Noob

« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2007, 18:42:32 »

Hmm, I'm not surprised that other fanfic authors have drawn simmilar conclusions about the end of the Classic era, based on the events of Mega Man 7. It seemed pretty obvious what would happen next (or what should have happened next). I didn't see Mega Man 8 coming. It always seemed like a disappointing follow-up to me. The only thing I took from MM8 was Dr. Light's ridiculous, drunk-sounding voice! Gotta love that.

Anyway, here goes the Age of X portion of the story. My favorite part.

Chapter 3

Following a series of tragic events in the lives of Dr. Thomas Light and company, a new robot named Megaman X was sealed away in a capsule to be tested for 30 years to ensure his reliability towards humans.

And so, 30 years came and went, but no one ever found X's capsule. It took an additional 70 years before an overly eager, somewhat opportunistic scientist named Dr. Cain finally stumbled upon the mysteriously neglected ruins of Light Labs. In a matter of days he uncovered X's capsule.

“Looks like I hit the jackpot!” Dr. Cain cackled to himself.

“What's this? A warning message...,” he observed. “Oh well, this thing has been down here for much longer than 30 years. If 30 years worth of brainwashing was enough to make him reliable, 100 years ought to make him downright subservient! If he's cooperative, he should prove very usefull in helping me to unlock all the valuable secrets of this ancient technology. This model is even more advanced than what's available today. If I can get this onto the market, imagine the possibilities!”

The find catapulted Dr. Cain to instant celebrity and made him a very rich man. Cain Labs was supplying reploids to the military, utility companies, and private owners. The reploids' combination of power and intelligence made them the perfect workers. Thanks to their intelligence, they could perform even the most complicated tasks and adapt to any variables up to or beyond the level of humans. Yet their power enabled them to perform functions that were simply beyond human capabilities. Not only were they the perfect workers, but for some they were the perfect slaves too! Because they had no human rights, many viewed them as 2nd class citizens who only existed for their convenience.

Or so the humans thought...

Eventually there were reploids who rose up in defiance against the humans. After all, why would a being of equal intelligence and superior strength to humans serve a weaker race? But Dr. Cain provided a solution to this unforeseen problem. He designed a reploid named Sigma to hunt down and destroy the renegade reploids known as mavericks. He and the soldiers under his command were known as the Maverick Hunters.

One day, Dr. Cain decided to continue exploring the wreckage of Light Labs to see what else he might discover. His team of reploids uncovered the deactivated Zero, not very far from where X had been discovered. Feeling lucky, Dr. Cain had the reploids switch Zero on. He figured that even if Zero were hostile, he would be no match for the modern day reploids. Even X was no match for many of the battle-ready reploids that were being produced. Over the past 100 years, weaponry had advanced far more than robotics.

Unfortunately for them, weaponry was one of Wily's specialties.

Zero was unbelievably strong. He made short work of the digging team. A unit of Maverick Hunters lead by Sigma's lieutenant, Gamma, were sent to contain the mad robot. But even these he destroyed. Finally they sent in the big guns. Sigma himself showed up to face the red maverick.

“What's our current situation?” asked Sigma.

“Commander!” exclaimed one of the hunters.

“Where's that red maverick that wiped out Gamma's unit?!” asked Sigma.

“He– he's inside that door,” the hunter stammered.

“I'll take care of this personally,” said Sigma.

“By yourself commander?” asked one of the concerned hunters.

“I don't want anymore of my people being sacrificed!” said Sigma.

He went in alone.

Sigma fought valiantly to bring Zero's violent rampage to an end. But even the leader of the Maverick Hunters –the most powerful reploid of all– faltered in the face of Zero's fiery rage. Just when it seemed that Zero was about to destroy the mighty hunter, he suddenly began to malfunction and became stunned by some unexplained pain. While Zero was caught off guard, Sigma delivered a final blow to his skull. As he crushed the gem on Zero's forehead, it was as if broken bits of data transferred from Zero into Sigma's own memory. Dr. Wily's renegade programming seeped into the back of Sigma's mind and he became subconsciously aware of Zero's mission to destroy Dr. Light's work and everything he ever stood for. Although Sigma didn't fully understand what was happening to him, he became fascinated with Zero.

Sigma emerged from the ruins.

“Look! It's commander Sigma!” said one of the hunters who'd been waiting outside.

“Incredible!” said the other hunter. “Now I'm certain there's no one who's a match for the commander.”

Suddenly they both noticed how badly Sigma was injured and they gasped in shock.

“Take that maverick back to the repair center,” groaned Sigma. “And call Dr. Cain! I wish to have that maverick studied!”

“Commander! Are you okay?” asked one of the worried hunters.

“Silence!” Sigma yelled as he pushed him aside. He suddenly had a lot on his mind and wanted to be alone.

Meanwhile...

X enters Dr. Cain's office to have a word with his mentor.

“Dr. Cain, I heard there was another robot unearthed at the ruins where I was found,” began X.

“Yes, apparently he had been sleeping underground there for decades,” Cain confirmed.

“Then he's like me...” X thought out loud. “Maybe he knows exactly what happened to us 100 years ago! Has he been activated yet?!”

“Um, er... he was malfunctioning and needs repairs before we can think about questioning him!” Cain fibbed, not wanting the disastrous consequences of his actions to be made known.

Zero was transferred to Cain Labs were he was "rehabilitated". Dr. Cain hacked into Zero's systems and assigned him new commands as a Maverick Hunter. Although his core personality remained basically the same, he would now turn his hot temper and brute strength against mavericks, instead of randomly assaulting anyone who crossed his path.

X decided to ask him about their pasts.

“Greetings. My name is X...,” he began. “I came from the same ruins where you were found, and so I was wondering if you could tell me about my history.”

“Sorry,” Zero replied. “I don't remember anything.”

“Oh...” X said, disappointedly.

“The only way I even know my own name is Zero is because the doc tapped into my system specs,” explained Zero.

“That's all right,” said X. “I may not know everything about where I came from, but I know exactly why I'm here now. I want to protect the Earth from harm, so I've decided to become a Maverick Hunter.”

“Yeah, I've been assigned to that outfit too,” said Zero. “But I'm a little surprised that you're thinking about joining. No offense, but you don't look quite as battle-ready as some of these other guys.”

“I know,” X admitted. “I may not have much strength, but I want to use whatever power I have to stop those who would bring harm to humanity.”

“I hear ya buddy,” said Zero. “As long as there's an enemy, I will defeat him!”

And so began the legendary friendship of X & Zero. By design, they would have been hated enemies in their own time period. Yet the unlikely duo formed a strong and lasting bond of camaraderie in this perilous new world they now found themselves in.

I know my ideas on MMX are much more controversial than my Classic era interpretation. So I'm all the more open to protests against this section of the story. But I consider it to be a very true rendition of the X series so don't forget to comment if you actually like it too!  lol.  :)
Androcles
Noob

« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2007, 21:44:02 »

LOL! :)  Well, here's the next chapter.

Chapter 4

X had just recently become an official member of the Maverick Hunters. He was walking through the city streets one day, when suddenly he heard a loud shout from out of the midst of a big crowd of people.

“Long live the Reploid Revolution!!!” the voice cried.

“Huh?! What’s going on?” X wondered.

X made his way through the stunned crowd to get a better look at the center of this commotion. There was a reploid holding a human child hostage!

“If you humans won’t listen to our demands, you will suffer the consequences!” said the Reploid.

“Oh shoot!” X exclaimed. “What do I do?”

This was his first field experience as a Hunter. He nervously approached the renegade Reploid.

“Um, excuse me Mr. Maverick… sir,” X tentatively began.

“What?! Maverick?!” the reploid angrily replied. “Are you challenging me kid?”

“Now, c- calm down,” X continued. “Just let the boy go and I’m sure we can work this out. Be reasonable.”

“We need to send a message to the humans, and this is the only way I know how!” said the Maverick. “As a fellow reploid you should understand…”

“But as a Maverick Hunter I can’t allow you to engage in this dangerous activity,” X explained. “You might harm a human!”

“So you’re one of those Maverick Hunters, eh?” said the Maverick. “Well you can tell your human masters what happened here today… after I self destruct and destroy all these humans! Mwa ha, haa!”

The crowd collectively gasped in horror as many people began backing away from the scene.

“Oh no!” X thought to himself. “If I shoot the Maverick I might hit the boy! But if I don’t shoot all these people will perish! But I cannot harm a human! What’ll I do?! Not much time–!”

“Die! Human scum!” the Maverick yelled.

“Noooo!” X screamed.

Just then, a boomerang cutter came flashing through the crowd; slicing the Maverick in two!

“Arrrghh!” ….BOOM!

With that, the Maverick was defeated and the boy was free. X turned around to face the heroes. It was none other than Boomer Kuwanger and Sigma himself!

“Is everything under control here?” Sigma inquired.

“Thanks to you two, Commander Sigma!” X replied.

“Is the civilian unharmed?” asked Sigma.

“I think so,” said X, as he walked over to the boy. “Here, let me help you up little fella.”

“No! Stay away!” a voice cried from the crowd.

The boy’s mother swooped in and grabbed her son up.

“You reploids have already done enough harm here!” she said. “I don’t trust you machines around my son. As far as I’m concerned, they never should have built any of you!”

After that, the woman ran off with her son.

“The show’s over people,” said Kuwanger. “Go on about your business.”

The crowd gradually dispersed.

“I don’t understand,” said X. “We did everything we could and saved the day. So why does she hate us?”

“Ungrateful human!” Kuwanger scoffed. “Where would they be without us? They’re too weak to protect themselves, but they lump us in with the Mavericks.”

“Hmm… Yes,” said Sigma. “Tell me… what do you two think of all this?” He asked.

“What do you mean, Commander?” asked X.

“About Reploids and Mavericks,” Sigma explained. “Do you think the existence of reploids is truly worthwhile?”

“We are the most advanced beings on the planet,” said Kuwanger. “I would not question the validity of our existence.”

“There are bound to be some bad reploids, but we’re not all the same,” said X. “Somehow I know that my purpose is to protect humans, not harm them.”

“And what do you make of this Reploid Revolution?” asked Sigma. “Do you think that one day they shall overtake us all?”

“Not a chance!” said Kuwanger. “These idiots aren’t organized enough to do any real harm. They lack the leadership to ever get anything done. They speak of revolution but all they cause is random disturbances and petty crimes.”

“As long as the Maverick Hunters remain strong, I am confident that evil will not prevail,” said X.

“Hmm, yes. You answered correctly,” said Sigma. “I know that I can count on you two. Well, I suppose we’d better take the remains of this Maverick in for disposal and head back to the H.Q.”

Weeks later...

Maverick activity has been on the rise lately. Unsolved crimes have increased rapidly. It's as if the Mavericks are getting smarter, and evading capture. Right now, X is out on another mission with his new partner, Vile. They're chasing down a small band of Mavericks on their hover-bikes.

“Looks like those punks dashed off down that alley!” said Vile.

“I'm going in after them!” said X, eagerly.

X zoomed through the alley and found himself just outside a tall building. Vile quickly followed behind him.

“They must have gone inside!” said Vile. “You go in and look for them while I search the perimeter out here.”

“Got it!” said X. He dashed inside the building.

“Ha! What a sucker,” said Vile.

He took a small, box shaped device out of the storage compartment on his bike and set it on the ground next to the building. Just then, X reemerged from the building.

“Sorry. I forgot my energy tank on the bike,” said X.

“Wha-? Oh darn”! said Vile. “I didn't expect you back out here so soon.”

“Vile... what are you doing?” asked X. “That looks like a detonator.”

“Um, yes! It's a good thing you're here, because I was just about to call you out of the building,” Vile lied. “I found out this building is being used as a Maverick stronghold, so I'm preparing to blow it up.”

“Blow it up?” asked X. “You mean just destroy the whole building?!”

“Yeah,” said Vile, “to be sure we get all the Mavericks! We'll get 'em good with this! He, heh!” he chuckled.

“But this is the business office of an electronics developer!” said X. There's bound to be humans inside!”

“So what?” scoffed Vile. “We're Maverick Hunters right? So I'm hunting Mavericks!”

“And if innocents die in the process?” X asked.

“We just gotta let it happen!” Vile said, with a devious grin.

“Commander Sigma will NOT approve of this!” X warned.

“I wouldn't be so sure,” said Vile. “Why don't you call him up and ask him right now?”

“I will!” said X. “Then you'll see that this isn't a joke!”

X called Sigma on his communicator.

“Commander! Vile is threatening to blow up an entire building just to get the Mavericks inside it, and he may be endangering humans in the process!” said X.

“Now Vile, is all this true?” Sigma asked from over the communicator.

“Why shucks, I guess it is!” said Vile. “But don't take my word for it. Why don't you ask these guys?”

Just then, the gang of Mavericks they had been chasing emerged from around the corner of the building.

“We finished setting up the explosive charges all around the building,” said one of the Mavericks.

“Excellent!” Vile laughed.

“Wait a sec!” said X. “Those are the bad guys! Are... are you working with them Vile?!”

“Oh, aren't you a smart one!” Vile said, sarcastically.

“Then... then that makes you a Maverick too!” said X.

“Bingo!” said Vile.

“Commander, what do you have to say about all this?!” X asked, frantically.

“Well,” began Sigma. “I would have to say... go ahead on Vile! SET IT OFF! Mwa ha ha haa!”

“Wha-?!” X wondered in disbelief.

“You got it boss!” said Vile, as he pushed the button.

“Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!” X screamed.

KerrrBOOM!!!! The entire building crumbled to pieces in the fiery blast. As the dust started to clear, X heard Sigma continue speaking over the communicator.

“Good work Vile!”

“How? How could you do such a thing?!” demanded X. “You just wiped out hundreds of human beings!”

“But wait, there's more!” laughed Sigma. “I've been operating from a secret location right here at Hunter H.Q the entire time! I'm the one who has organized all the recent Maverick attacks!” Sigma explained.

“So that's why they've been getting more effective!” said X. “You've been calling the shots from behind the scenes; hiding behind the security systems of our very own headquarters!”

“And now I've seized control of our emergency missile silo!” said Sigma. “And the first target I want to hit is... Cain Labs!”

Meanwhile at Cain Labs...

Dr. Cain is sitting at his desk in the top floor office of his lab. His phone starts to beep as a call comes in from downstairs.

“Oh good, let's see if my secretary has any news about my big appointment,” Dr. Cain said to himself as he clicked the phone on.

“The interviewer from Popular Robotics magazine is here to see you sir,” his secretary said.

“Excellent!” replied Dr. Cain. “Send them right up.”

Dr. Cain rose from his chair and walked over to the mirror. He started primping himself.

“Gotta look good for my big photo shoot,” Cain chuckled to himself.

Just then, Dr. Cain caught a glimpse of something from the corner of his eye. He turned around to look out the window only to face the unbelievable sight of... A MISSILE HEADED STRAIGHT TOWARDS HIS OFFICE!

“Oh sh–!”

BOOM!

Meanwhile, X has become enraged by the betrayal of Vile and Sigma.

“I can't believe this is happening!” X screamed. “You two are nothing more than Maverick scum!!!”

“He hee, that's right,” said Vile. “Everything has gone according to plan so far, with the exception of me eliminating you in the process!”

“No, I'm glad you had the opportunity to witness this X,” said Sigma. “Don't you see that this is what Reploids were born to do? It is our destiny to replace humans as the dominant lifeforms on this planet. We are superior to them!”

“I wouldn't call anyone who commits cowardly acts of terrorism 'superior',” X growled.

“Your precious humans built many of their greatest civilizations with similar tactics throughout history,” Sigma argued.

“Enough!” yelled X. “I won't sit here and reason with a psycho! I know my duties as a Hunter and I will defeat you!”

“Not so fast rookie,” said Vile. “You'll have to deal with me first!”

Without a word, X started to unleash a barrage of shots from his buster cannon. But Vile quickly ran around the corner to jump inside his signature ride armor.

X crouched back and began powering up his X buster for a charge shot. Unfortunately Vile was too quick for him as he dashed forward in his ride armor and swooped X off the ground.

“I'll crush you!” Vile snarled, as he squeezed the life out of X.

X's charge energy dissipated as he struggled to survive under the crushing weight of the machine's grip. Just when it seemed that all hope was lost, there suddenly came a flashing red blur that dashed in between X & Vile; slashing the battle suit's arm off! As X fell to the ground he looked up to see that his savior was none other than...

“Zero!” Vile snapped. “What are you doing here?”

“You didn't think Hunter H.Q. would ignore a threat this big, did you?” asked Zero.

“You should join us Zero!” said Vile. “I know it is in your nature to fight. Why ally yourself with these weaklings?”

“If you're so tough, why don't you come down here and face me one-on-one, instead of hiding behind that ride armor like a sissy?” scoffed Zero.

“Grrr! I'll deal with you another time!” Vile growled, as he sped away.

“Come back here you coward!” Zero called after him. He fired a shot, but it missed.

X tried to compose himself as he knelt on the ground behind Zero.

“I guess I wasn't able to perform my duty as a hunter when it really counted,” X sighed. “I'm sorry Zero... I failed.”

“Don't worry about it X,” said Zero. “I admire your spirit, but you just don't have the power to take on the big guys like Vile and Sigma. I'm sure you're more than a match for many of their co-conspirators. You should head back to the H.Q. to get your next assignment. I'll go hunt down Sigma's new base.”

“OK Zero,” said X. “And... thanks.”

Zero just nodded with a smile, and went along his way.

Not quite how you remembered X1, right? Or MHX for that matter. But hopefully still interesting enough to read.

Posted on: 16 December 2007, 19:37:08

And yet another chapter...

Chapter 5

With Sigma and many other high ranking hunters gone, Hunter H.Q. was thrown into chaos. Signas was struggling to hold things together. X contacted him as soon as he returned.

“Megaman X reporting for duty!” X announced, as he entered the command center.

“Welcome X,” said Signas. “I'm glad to see you're all right.”

“Yes, but I let Vile get away…” X admitted.

“Don't sweat it,” said Signas. “I know you're still disappointed about losing to Vile, but I have an assignment well suited to your abilities. I want you to go after Chill Penguin at his base. You should be able to whoop his little punk-a** without much difficulty.”

“Yes sir!” said X. “I won't let you down!”

X quickly teleported to the coordinates he was given and soon found himself at the wintry outskirts of Chill Penguin's base. He battled various mechaniloids on his way, and eventually stumbled upon an icy, underground cave. Inside, X made a startling discovery. A huge capsule suddenly burst out of the ground in front of him! A holographic image of an old man in a lab coat was projected from the capsule. It was Dr. Light! He began to speak…

“So you've come…”

“What's going on?” asked X. “Who are you?”

“X, I gave you the ability to choose your own path in life, and I hoped the world would allow you to choose a peaceful one,” said Dr. Light.

“You know my name?” asked X. “…Wait, it's just a prerecorded message…”

“But now it seems that you are destined to fight,” the message continued. “Because I thought the world might need a new champion, I had my associate Auto hide this capsule for you. I suppose he may be standing there with you right now…”

Apparently Light had already sent Auto to hide the capsule shortly before that fateful day of September 18th, when his lab was destroyed.

“Should you decide to enter this capsule, you will receive enhancements to increase your powers beyond anything the world has ever known,” said Dr. Light. “It's your decision X,” the message concluded.

“Somehow I think I know that man,” X said to himself. “Could it be…? Wait, there's no time to spare. I've got to get those power-ups so I can defeat Sigma!”

X immediately entered the capsule and was upgraded. He received leg parts to boost his speed, a nearly impenetrable helmet, a powerful new X-Buster, and a sturdy set of body armor.

“I won't be known as a Class B Hunter for much longer!” X exclaimed. “Where is Chill Penguin?! I'm ready to face anything now.”

X blew the rest of the mechaniloids to pieces and quickly entered Chill Penguin's chamber.

“X? Is that you?” asked Chill Penguin.

“Why have you betrayed us?!” demanded X. “You've forsaken your duties as a Maverick Hunter!”

“Maybe I just got tired of being a hunter!” said Chill Penguin. “Working under Sigma's rebellion is much more interesting. Not that I have to explain anything to you, boy.”

“You're under arrest!” said X. “Your actions are in violation of the laws of the grand council. Disarm and return with me to the H.Q. immediately.”

“You're talking mighty tough for a Class-B hunter,” scoffed Chill Penguin.

“I'm warning you Chill Penguin,” said X. “I'm not the same as before. I won't hesitate to execute justice.”

“You think those new duds are going to protect you?” asked Chill Penguin. “I'm afraid you're a little bit out of your element here boy. I'll teach you a lesson!”

Chill Penguin dove to the ground and slid across the ice towards X in a charge attack. But X unleashed a huge charge blast that he had been powering up since he entered the chamber. The force of the blast sent the puny penguin ricocheting all across the room. He eventually crashed into a corner, completely stunned. X walked over to him.

“You were a fool to think you could fight against justice,” said X. “Surrender now!”

Chill Penguin shook himself back to full consciousness.

“Never!” said Chill Penguin. “I know what returning back to the H.Q. will mean for me.”

He started blowing out a big cloud of frost, forming an ice sculpture.

“What are you trying to prove by doing that?” asked X.

X slowly walked over to Chill Penguin and crushed his stupid ice sculpture. Then he proceeded to carry out his sentence, putting him to death with one final shot.

“Now I must report back to the H.Q.” said X. And he teleported off.

With his newfound powers and with the help of the other hunters, X made short work of most of Sigma's other head-mavericks. Eventually Zero reported back to H.Q. with his findings on the location of Sigma's fortress.

“I have found Sigma's fortress,” Zero began. “From the looks of it, I think it’s best if we sneak in as a covert operation. Only two hunters should enter initially.”

“Who would you suggest to go along with you?” asked Signas.

“I can do it!” said X. “I'm prepared to face them this time.”

“I see that your strength has grown considerably on the battlefield,” said Zero.

“Yes! I'm ready to fight alongside you Zero.”

“Very well,” Zero agreed. “I choose X as my partner on this assignment.”

“OK, we'll come in behind you two in case you need emergency backup,” said Signas.

X & Zero left for the mission. They climbed to the mountaintop fortress and sneaked their way through it. Eventually they reached a room where Sigma and Vile were inside talking. X hastily kicked the door in.

“Your reign of terror is over Sigma!” yelled X. “Surrender now, or prepare to be retired!”

“You didn't necessarily have to announce our entrance, X!” teased Zero, somewhat nervously.

“What?! Who let those Maverick Hunters in here?!” Sigma roared.

“It's no big deal,” said Vile. “I'll just finish what we started in our last encounter. Those ancient enhancements of yours are no match for my ride armor.” he chuckled.

“I'll take X and you take Zero,” said Vile, looking at Sigma.

“Z- Zero?!” Sigma stammered.

“What's the matter Sigma? You still scared from the beating I put on you when we first met?” taunted Zero.

“How do you know about that?!” screamed Sigma. “I thought all your memories had been lost. Anyway, as I recall, you were the one who was carried off unconscious that time,” he reminded Zero.

“Look, you clearly have a score to settle with Zero, and I have unfinished business with X,” said Vile. “So let's do this thing!”

“I don't think so,” said Sigma. “I still give the orders around here, and I'm ordering you to destroy Zero!”

Sigma ran out of the room.

“After him X!” yelled Zero. “Don't let Sigma get away!”

“Right!” said X.

X & Zero both started running after Sigma.

“Not so fast!” said Vile, as he jumped in front of Zero. “You'll have to go through me first, hotshot!”

“Gladly!” said Zero, as he whipped his saber out.

X continued his pursuit of Sigma into the next room, but as soon as he entered he was immediately met with a crashing blow against his head. Even with his helmet, he was knocked to the ground. The door locked behind him.

“You fool!” laughed Sigma. “You've fallen into my trap. I've got you right where I want you!”

Sigma swung his saber at X, but X grabbed the blade with both hands. However as soon as he did, the blade started to burn his hands, forcing him to let go. The blade slashed X across his chest.

“Arrghh!” X screamed.

X tried to aim his arm cannon at Sigma in retaliation, but Sigma just laughed and knocked his arm aside. Then he gave X a swift kick in the head, sending him flying in the air. As X plummeted back to the ground, Sigma punched him with all his might, in mid-air, sending X crashing through the wall.

“You should never have betrayed me X!” said Sigma, as he slowly walked over to the nearly unconscious X. “Once the humans are out of the way we shall usher in a new age… The Age of Reploids! You could have been a part of that, but now the time of your destruction has arrived. Goodbye X!”

Sigma raised his saber over X in a stabbing position, but before he could deliver the final blow, he noticed X's body starting to glow.

“What's this?” wondered Sigma. “Don't tell me he's trying to self destruct!”

The glow surrounding X grew brighter and he began to levitate.

“What's going on here?!” yelled Sigma. “Nevermind, I'll end this now!”

Sigma swung his blade at X once more, but it was deflected by the energy surrounding him!

X could hear a voice inside his head…

“Not yet X…” the voice said. “You must live. I prepared even for a situation such as this. Now fight against injustice and fulfill the legacy of Mega Man!”

A giant flash of energy now surrounded X like a blue flame. Then he let out a cry:

“Nova Strike!”

In a furious blaze, X's body shot straight through Sigma like a torpedo!

“Arrghh! No! How can this be?!” cried Sigma, as he fell to the ground clutching his chest. “Th- the age of the reploids… will be born…”

And with those last words, Sigma started to violently explode. It was over. Finally, Zero busts into the room.

“I'm here X!” Zero cried. “I defeated Vile and… Wait a minute, where is Sigma?”

“He's gone,” replied X. “I defeated him.”

“Whoa X!” Zero exclaimed. “You really have grown as a hunter! I'm impressed. Not many people could have faced Sigma alone.”

“Just another Maverick to be retired,” X modestly replied.

“Let's notify the others to come clear out any remaining mechaniloids and head back to H.Q., partner,” Zero said with a smile.

A big smile formed on X's face in return.

“Roger that, partner. Let's head back!”

After that, X & Zero became an inseparable pair. They continued fighting side-by-side, defeating mavericks together until the last vestiges of Sigma’s army were finally wiped out.

What can I say? I used to watch a lot of Dragon Ball Z. And I've always been partial towards the Nova Strike as a potentially major special move. It's the ultimate attack after all (I considered using the hadouken, but...)

As usual, I made some changes from the way things happen in the games. After all, it's fan fiction, right? Signas is already the leader of the Hunters for the sake of simplicity. And obviously Zero didn't die this time because I typically hate it when a character gets killed off only to come right back to life. If it's so easy to come back, it takes meaning away from character deaths. As always, feel free to comment if you have any thoughts on all of this. Next chapter will be up very soon.

Posted on: 17 December 2007, 19:24:19

Now we move forward a little bit, somewhere in the time between X3 and X4.

Chapter 6

As time goes on, major reploid revolts become rarer and rarer. Reploids begin to reclaim some of their original status and trust. Even the military is now made up almost entirely of reploid soldiers known as the Repliforce. Yet, X's reputation as a zealous servant of the humans is well known. He is both feared and respected by many reploids. Zero is known to be an especially eager hunter. It is often observed that he seems to actually enjoy the hunt! Unlike X, he takes pleasure in battling his enemies. Together they continue to keep a close watch over the world. There is an air of discontent amongst some reploids, at the overly aggressive tactics of the Maverick Hunters. Nevertheless, there hasn't been much action lately, and things have begun to settle down.

Today is just another day in the life of X & Zero. They're in pursuit of a reploid who's been accused of stealing a can of soda. A rookie hunter has been assigned to accompany them so he can learn the ropes.

“I just want to say that it's a great honor to work with THE X & Zero!” said the rookie. “You guys are legends!”

“Um, thanks,” X replied bashfully. “but I'm no hero. Just a robot trying to do the right thing.”

“I can only dream of reaching your level,” said the rookie. “You and Zero are Class S Hunters!”

“Don't worry, you'll catch on in no time,” X encouraged him. “Just watch Zero. He's the one who inspired me on my first missions.”

“Yes sir, I will,” said the rookie. “But I doubt that I'll get to see much action on a routine mission like this one.”

“Battle prowess isn't the most important thing,” said X. “The key to being a good Maverick Hunter is unquestioning loyalty. If you focus whatever strength you have into upholding the will of the humans at all cost, you'll do fine. But remember; doing the right thing isn't always easy. Sometimes we hunters have to make some difficult sacrifices.”

“Yes sir,” said the rookie. “You mean like when you guys had to defeat your friend Mac (from X3).”

“Mac? Oh, yes. Exactly!” said X. “So just remember to never betray. You're gonna do great out there kid.”

“I see the target up ahead!” Zero exclaimed. “Time to move in.”

“Okay, but approach with caution,” said X. “Even on a simple run like this, things can get out of hand.”

“Understood,” said the rookie. “I got the handcuffs ready, just in case this thing escalates.”

The trio sneak up behind the suspect.

“Freeze motherfreaker!” X screamed, in that girly voice of his (as heard in X4).

“Mother-what?” asked the bewildered reploid, almost chuckling.

“He moved! I saw it!” yelled Zero. “Hya!”

ZWISH! SLICE! SHRED!

“Arrrrrrgh!” BOOM!

The "maverick" was defeated.

“What happened?!” asked the panicked rookie. “Why'd we kill him?”

“He made a move on me!” shouted Zero. “He was going for a gun!”

“Huh?” said the Rookie. “I didn't see a–”

“SHUT UP!” X cut him off. “Zero said he made a move on him. He disobeyed my direct order.”

“What are you talking about?” demanded the Rookie. “He didn't do anything!”

“That sounds like maverick-talk, boy!” warned Zero. “Are you a maverick punk?!”

“No, it's just that–”

WHIRR. Zero turns his saber towards the rookie hunter.

“What are you doing???” asked the rookie.

“Die! Traitor!”

RRRRrrrip! ZWOOSH! SHRED!

“Aaaaahhrgghh!” BOOM!

X & Zero now stood over the fiery remains of both their victims.

“Why wouldn't they listen to reason?” X wondered aloud. “It didn't have to end this way!”

“Who cares,” said Zero. “Mavericks can't be reasoned with. Just kill 'em all.”

To Be Continued.

Of course the new guy didn't live through the chapter. I didn't even give him a name! I try to avoid overusing OCs in fanfics. I'd rather concentrate on the official characters from the games. That's just my preference.

Speaking of the official characters, I obviously played up some of X and Zero's traits a bit. I don't mean to vilify them. My intention is to delve deeper into all the characters, and really examine their motivations based on their actions in the games. I try to explore their faults and their virtues. You'll see more what I mean in the next chapters.

Lemme know what you think.

Posted on: 18 December 2007, 22:37:03

Look for the interesting new insights on each scene of X4!  :)

Chapter 7

One dark and stormy night, at the residence of Repliforce's top general:

The General is in a meeting with a mysterious , cloaked reploid. It's obviously Sigma returned from the dead somehow. But we're not supposed to notice yet.

“It's about the Maverick Hunters, General,” said the cloaked reploid. “They are far too eager to please the humans and continue to hunt down the reploids. Do you believe they pose a significant threat?”

“Perhaps...” replied the General, tentatively.

“You already know the truth General,” said the cloaked reploid. “Their sole mission has been to destroy any reploids who fail to do as the humans order. It is in your best interest to stop them now, before they turn on you. You possess enough power to destroy them!!!” the raved zealot screamed, as a loud burst of thunder cracked outside.

There was a tense moment of dead silence.

“You are dismissed,” the General abruptly announced.

“What?!” yelled the cloaked reploid.

“I will not betray the humans,” said the General. “Remove yourself from my sight! My business with you has concluded.”

“Very well,” said the cloaked reploid, as he stood to leave. “But you will change your mind soon, I assure you. Mwa ha, ha, haa!”

...Some days later, at Hunter H.Q.

“Emergency! Emergency! All Maverick Hunters on call should assemble immediately!” came a voice over the loudspeaker.

“Mavericks have been found at point 5567!” the announcement continued. “The Mavericks occupied the Sky Lagoon using the most advanced weapons available! With that kind of firepower, you know it ain't nobody but those sons of b****es at Repliforce!”

“Roger that,” replied X. “I'm on my way now!”

“Repliforce?” Zero wondered, in disbelief. “...OK. I'm on my way,” he said.

Zero was friends with several members of Repliforce, particularly his frequent sparring partner Colonel, and Colonel's sister Iris. This explained why he was hesitant to enter the battlefield for once in his life.

X & Zero departed on their mission and battled their way to the center of the Sky Lagoon. They encountered a familiar dragon-like reploid standing next to the power core of the structure.

“You're Dragoon from the 14th unit!” X suddenly announced.

“Yeah, I know that already,” Dragoon replied. “But more importantly, you may have noticed that this huge power reactor is exploding right in front of us! That maverick just destroyed it right before you got here.”

“What?!” shouted X. “Then the Sky Lagoon will come crashing into the ground!”

“Yes... And destroy the entire city,” said Dragoon.

“We have to do something!” yelled Zero.

“It's too late!” said Dragoon. “It's time I made my escape. I suggest you two do the same... Don't do anything reckless on the way out, okay?”

Dragoon took off.

“If the Sky Lagoon crashes, it will be disastrous!” said Zero.

“The city below will soon become a sea of flames,” X lamented. “Many people will perish... but we have no choice but to escape from here and head to the city below!”

They both teleport down below, to survey the damage and look for survivors.

“...Wha?!” X gasped in horror. “The city has been completely destroyed. They were innocent people... I won't forget this!”

“Me neither!” added Zero. “Those Mavericks will pay for this!”

X & Zero fought through the hordes of mavericks together. Eventually they found one of the few survivors of the attack laying on the ground. It was an injured reploid girl.

“Who are you, and what business do you have in this sector?” X interrogated her.

“Iris!” cried Zero. “What are you doing here?”

“Iris?” asked X. “You know this girl Zero?”

“Yeah,” replied Zero. “Are you OK Iris?!”

“Zero... Did you come to save me?” asked Iris, weakly.

“Yes. Hang on!” Zero stretched the truth a bit. He made it seem as if he came specifically to rescue her. He was just trying to score some easy points with the girl.

“A huge Maverick appeared,” explained Iris. “And...”

“Stay here Iris,” Zero interrupted. “I'll handle it!” he promised, trying to sound heroic.

“Is this really one of Repliforce's?” Zero wondered out loud. “We don't have a moment to spare! We have to defeat him or else...”

Finally they reach the big boy; a gigantic dragon robot that's been swooping around the area since they got here. The metallic monster quickly swoops towards X, rearing back for a huge slash with its giant claw. At the last second before the blow connected, Zero jumped in front of X, deflecting the blow with his saber!

“Oomph!”

They're both knocked off their feet by the force of the slash, but X soon recovers and readies a charge shot with his X Buster. The dragon howls viciously as it releases a firey energy beam from its mouth. X intercepts the blast with his own charge shot, cancelling it out. Meanwhile Zero is back on his feet again, and he leaps onto the mechaniloid's chest.

“Hya-hya-hya!!!” Zero yelled.

Zero begins to tear through the beast's armor with a series of rapid saber slices. He furiously hacks away like a madman! X keeps the creature's limbs engaged with buster shots as Zero finishes ripping the circuitry out of its chest with his bare hands! The dragon mechaniloid starts to erupt with explosions as it crashes to the ground. X and Zero bested the formidable foe like the pros they are.

“We... we did it!” Zero huffed, through deep breaths.

“You were amazing Zero!” exclaimed X. “I almost bought it in the beginning there. Thanks for jumping in when you did!”

“Don't sweat it,” said Zero, as he regained his composure.

“I think we're getting close,” said X. “Whoever is behind these attacks may still be in the area. Lets continue our search.”

Shortly thereafter, a tough looking, uniformed reploid arrives on the scene.

“...Who are you?” X asked, suspiciously.

“Man, X. Don't you know anybody?” Zero joked. “This is Iris' brother Colonel, from the Repliforce.”

“I don't get out much unless I'm hunting,” X admitted.

“Speaking of Iris, I came here to save her from this disaster,” explained Colonel. “I only hope she's okay...”

“She's fine! I just rescued her,” said Zero.

“Oh? Thanks Zero!” Colonel exclaimed in relief. “I owe you one...”

“AHEM!” X interjected, signaling Zero to move on with their business.

“...Colonel. I have a question for you,” Zero spoke hesitantly. “Did your unit attack this place?”

“What are you talking about?” asked Colonel, in confusion. “We just got finished discussing how I came to save my sister from this carnage, so you already know why I'm here. Besides, why would I lead an attack on an area that my own sister was in? You're not making sense Zero...”

“Don't talk to Zero that way!” snapped X. “Just answer our questions directly, without giving your opinions!” he commanded.

“Well let me state it plainly,” said Colonel, getting irritated. “The army responsible for all the violence in this region is not the Repliforce!”

“Nevertheless, I want you to disarm and follow me back to the H.Q.” said X.

“So you're saying we're under arrest?!” asked Colonel. “What's all this for?”

“They suspect you've become a Maverick,” said Zero.

“What?!” Colonel exclaimed. “On what grounds?”

“You've been issued a direct order by a representative of the human council!” said X. “Comply or face the consequences.”

“We do have jurisdiction in all matters of reploid loyalty,” explained Zero. “That includes the Repliforce. You'd best do as my partner says.”

“I'm afraid I can't,” said Colonel. “Soldiers never drop their weapons! I won't do it, not even for you Zero!”

“Then they'll think you're a Maverick!” warned Zero.

“So be it!” said Colonel. “The Repliforce prefers war over dishonor and shame!”

“I've heard enough of this defiant, bullcrap!” said X. “ON THE GROUND, HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD boy! Do it now!”

“Boy?! I refuse to be carted off like a common criminal!” said Colonel. “Consider us mavericks if this is what you wish! Good bye Zero!”

With that, Colonel took off.

“Wait! Colonel! Listen to me!” Zero called after him.

But it was too late. Colonel was already gone.

“They may decide the entire Repliforce is a group of Mavericks!” Zero shouted in frustration.

“Once the order has been issued against them, we'll have no choice but to carry it out,” said X. “Doesn't the Colonel realize the penalty he could be bringing upon his people's heads?”

X & Zero dejectedly head back to hunter H.Q.

To Be Continued...

Posted on: 19 December 2007, 21:56:14

X4 is my favorite video game, so I've really focused on exploring the extra details of that game's story. In the actual game we see mostly action, but I've tried to bring this whole saga to life by fleshing it out a bit more.

If you really examine X4, I think it is the one MMX game that has the greatest potential to really explore all the essential elements of the series and the characters (except for the virus; thankfully). X & Zero are at their best, but they also suffer some of their worse tragedies. The conflict between intelligent reploids and humans is more directly discussed, instead of taking a back seat to the virus which turns them into rabid, mindless automatons. Yes, I'm very anti-virus (sorry, pun intended). And honestly, I like the fact that this game doesn't deal with all the unnecessary drama surrounding Zero's death and rebirth (I loved X1 & X2 but come on...). OK, I've said enough offensive things for now. On with the next chapter.

Chapter 8

When the General hears about Colonel's altercation with the Maverick Hunters, he decides that he must finally take action. General holds a conference with his men, announcing what their response will be. In an attempt to legitimize his actions he broadcasts the whole conference on television, to show the humans that he has nothing to hide and to reach as many reploids as possible.

The General begins his speech:

“Brave soldiers of repliforce! We have all been wrongfully judged as mavericks by the humans. We cannot suffer this indignity and live in disgrace. We will build our own nation of reploids.”

“But remember, this is neither about insurrection, nor rebellion against our human creators. This is about our liberty and security. We must battle for our own individual rights and our own survivial. Together we will build our nation; a sanctuary for all reploids. Our own utopia! Let us forge onward towards a new golden era for the Repliforce!”

The crowd of Repliforce soldiers all cheer.
Next, the Colonel himself steps up to speak:

“I too share the General's sentiments. Take heed, for we have no other choice. Let us fight valiantly, with courage and pride, without fear, for we are the Repliforce: The most powerful army in history!”

The crowd continues to cheer.

Meanwhile, at a dark hideaway in the city.

The mysterious reploid who met with the General earlier (it's Sigma) has been watching the whole conference on television.

“Ha, ha haa! The General has finally taken action. And now my Maverick Hunters, what will you do? I'll be watching closely from here on out. Heh, he he! Mwa, ha ha haa!”

Back at Hunter H.Q.:

Zero gets an unexpected visitor. It's Colonel's sister, Iris!

“What is that Repliforce woman doing in my H.Q.?” asked X, sternly. “Let me go handle this intruder.”

“No, it's alright,” said Zero. “I got this.”

They both approached Iris.

“Iris! ...What are you doing here?” asked Zero.

“My brother Colonel started the coup!” she said.

“I know...” said Zero.

“Please don't fight against him!” she pleaded.

“Don't fight?” Zero repeated. “Are you out of your mind woman?! This is Hunter H.Q.! Do you know what we do here?!”

“But this must be some kind of mistake!” insisted Iris.

“Mistake?! It's a friggin' coup!” retorted Zero. “They've occupied several cities already. As a hunter, I must stop them!”

“I don't see any reason to trust you either,” added X. “I've got half a mind to take you back to the interrogation room!”

“No! Please,” begged Iris. “I'm not with them, I don't know any details!”

“It's okay X, she's harmless,” assured Zero. “Can we let it slide for now?”

“OK, I'll do it for you,” said X. “I've got to get to my own command station anyway.”

X left the room and gave Iris a dirty look as he passed by her.

“He doesn't seem to like me very much,” said Iris.

“He takes his duty to the humans very seriously,” explained Zero. “He's just trying to do his job, so try not to take it personally. That's just X.”

“But such hostility...” Iris began. “I hope all hunters are not so aggressive,” she muttered, pensively.

“Look, I have a history with X so I understand where he's coming from,” explained Zero. “We can't afford to take this situation lightly!”

“You seem to know this “X” person very well, but I've never met him before,” observed Iris. “Just who is he to you?” she asked.

“He's my partner,” replied Zero.

“Your “partner?” asked Iris.

“Yeah, we go on a lot of missions as a team, but we haven't spent as much time together since we each got our own units,” Zero elaborated. “What's with the 3rd degree anyway?!”

“I don't know,” said Iris. “I just thought that we–”

“Instead of drilling me with questions, you need to be trying to talk some sense into your bullheaded brother!” yelled Zero, cutting her off.

“Zero, I–”

“I'm leaving!” Zero shouted as he left in pursuit of his first target.

Meanwhile, as X reaches his command station, he's met by a short, conspicuously chubby, yellow reploid.

“...Who are you?” X asked in his usual, charmless manner.

“Call me Double, the rookie hunter,” he replied.

“I've never seen him around here before, and he does have kind of a suspicious name...” X thought to himself. “But I'm willing to go along with it, just to show Zero that I can have friends too!”

“My liege, the Repliforce has begun it's coup!” said Double.

“'Liege'...” X repeated. “Hmm, I like the sound of that.”

“Sir, you've been given the order to scramble!” Double said with urgency.

“An order from the humans?!” X snapped back to his senses. “Right. I'm leaving right now!”

X took to the skies to head off an air force raid. Meanwhile, Zero infiltrated an enemy-occupied jungle to destroy the weapon that was under construction there. But he was surprised to find that the weapon's guardian was a former high-ranking Hunter!

“Ah... Zero,” greeted Web Spider. “I've been expecting you.”

“Spider!” Zero exclaimed. “You work for Repliforce?!”

“Yes...” he admitted. “I lead a renegade unit now.”

“There's still time,” said Zero. “Call off the coup!”

“No. I know where my loyalties lie,” said Spider.

“What about your loyalty to us?!” shouted Zero.

“My loyalty is to reploidkind!” said Spider. “I won't let you pass. Turn back now!”

Zero didn't show his former comrade any mercy. Once he was caught up in the heat of battle, he fought as fiercely as always.

Spider climbed up his web and tried to send some of his miniature spider mechaniloids at Zero, but Zero sliced them all to pieces before they could even hit the ground!

“Whoa!” Spider yelped. “He's coming at me fast and- Arrghh!”

Before Spider could even finish his thought, Zero was on him with a swipe of his saber. Spider quickly retreated further up his web to hide amongst the jungle trees.

“Phew!” Spider gasped. “I see why Zero received the rank of Class-S Hunter! I'll have to hide up here and think of a... huh?!”

Out of the corner of his eye Web Spider detects the motion of something creeping up behind him.

“Wha-?! Zero, no -!”

“Haaahh!” Zero yelled.

Whoosh! Zwish! Rip!
With several mighty saber strikes, Zero ripped his opponent to shreds.

“Urrghh...” Spider groaned, as he fell to the ground. “Umph! Z- Zero......” he gasped, with his last breath.

And so, Zero had cut Spider's web for good and headed back to the H.Q. X was just finishing with Repliforce's sky commander, Storm Owl. Afterwards he headed back to H.Q. as well. The two arrived at the same time so they went to the maintenance room to discuss their missions while they got their energy refilled.

While they were away, Iris had taken Zero's advice and went to speak with her brother. She was now returning to Maverick Hunter H.Q. shortly after X and Zero got back. She didn't see Zero right away, so she approached Double instead.

“Excuse me,” she said. “I need to see Maverick Hunter Zero. I've got a message from Repliforce.”

“Sounds important!” said Double. “Okay, I'll take you to them.”

Double took Iris to the maintenance room.

“Sir, it's a message from the Colonel!” said Double, addressing X.

They played the message.

“I'll wait for you at Memorial Hall,” said Colonel. “Make sure you show up on time!”

“Sir, this must be a trap!” said Double.

“...Perhaps,” said X. “But I won't let him get away from me this time!”

“Hold on X,” said Zero. “I should be the one to go. I have the most experience dealing with Colonel. Besides, I have a score to settle with him.”

“Don't jump to any conclusions Zero!” Iris pleaded. “Don't fight him!”

“This is a matter of personal pride now,” said Zero. “There's no avoiding this... I must go.”

While Zero headed to the meeting with Colonel, X went to stop a military train that was moving supplies.

Later, at Memorial Hall:

Colonel enters the hall and looks around to see if Zero has already arrived. But the room appears to be empty.

“We've got to find some kind of a way to work this thing out,” thought Colonel. “Zero always seemed like an honorable warrior, so maybe I can get him to understand my position and support the coup.”

Colonel walks further into the building looking from side to side in search of his old friend, when all of a sudden he hears a voice shouting from above...

“I'm disappointed in you Colonel! Hya-aaaaa!”

Zero comes leaping down at him with a saber attack, but Colonel dodges just in time to keep from getting killed.

“Whoa! This fool just tried to kill me!” Colonel thought to himself in dismay.

“What do you think you're doing?!” he asked Zero. “I came here to talk this out with you, so how can you ambush me like this?!”

“There's nothing to talk about,” replied Zero. “Stop the coup now!”

“I can't do that...” muttered Colonel. “Not when we've come this far.”

“If that's your decision...” began Zero, “...PREPARE YOURSELF!!!”

Zero jumps at Colonel with a saber slash, but this time Colonel whips out his own saber and defends. It's on now.

They exchange a few blows, but before they can get going good, a squeaky, girlish voice calls out and interrupts them... and it ain't X.

“Stop! Please!”

Zero and Colonel both paused and spotted a concerned Iris standing across the room.

“Brother please, don't you remember? Zero saved my life!”

Colonel thought about it a second.

“Very well,” he said to Zero. “I shall spare your life for now. But next time, there will be no mercy, he warned, as he left the building.”

“Zero, please don't fight with my brother!” cried Iris. “If you do, I'm afraid that one of you may end up–”

“Someone must stop Repliforce!” Zero insisted.

“Ze-roooo!” Iris called after him as he walked off.

After the battle, Zero received his next mission over his communicator.

“The abandoned lab is now operational,” said the dispatcher from H.Q. “Nobody is supposed to be in there!”

“What should I do?” asked Zero.

“We want you to 'investigate'” said the dispatcher. “Or in other words, destroy the lab and whoever you find in it!”

“Gladly!” said Zero, still raring for a fight.

At that time, X had just finished defeating Slash Beast and he was receiving new orders over his communicator as well.

“X, it looks like Dragoon of the 14th unit hid himself in a volcano, probably trying to dodge work,” said the dispatcher. “We want you to track him down and tell him to carry his lazy butt back to the H.Q. to get his latest assignment.”

“Will do,” said X.

Zero hacked and slashed his way through the lab and climbed all the way up to the chamber that the interloper was waiting in. It turned out to be a weird looking, mushroom guy with a voice even squeakier than X's.

“You made it this far,” said the pip-squeak. “I'm impressed! You interested in a real challenge?”

“Wait a minute!” said Zero. “You don't even work for Repliforce, do you?! Who's your commanding officer?!”

“Never mind that,” replied the mushroom. “It's time to fight!”

The little freak started bouncing off the walls and sending energy clones to attack Zero. But Zero made short work of him using his Raijingeki technique.

“Ow, ow, ow, ow, oww!” the little monster yelped from the electric shock of Zero's saber.

Zero repeated the rather pleasurable process several times until his diminuitive foe was defeated.

“Ahhhhh!!!!” BOOM!, it exploded.

“Don't bring that weak stuff up in here!” scoffed Zero. “What made you think you could beat me anyway?”

Zero had taken a picture of him before he exploded so he could investigate his origin later. Then he went back to hunter H.Q. to check it out.

As for X, he made his way through the perilous volcano and eventually found Dragoon.

“X... You've arrived,” said Dragoon.

“Dragoon! Why are you slacking off on the job?” X scolded him. “We're spending valuable time tracking you down when we could be hunting Mavericks!”

Dragoon turned around and breathed fire at X. X dodged just in time to avoid the attack.

“Dragoon! What are you doing? Explain yourself!” X demanded.

“Heh... You'll have to defeat me first,” chuckled Dragoon.

“But... We're allies!” cried X.

“...You're so naive,” scoffed Dragoon. “...Listen closely X. I let the Sky Lagoon fall! And I'd do it again! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!”

“No! Those were innocent people!” cried X, almost welling up with tears. “Precious human lives were lost! That makes you a Maverick!”

“You got that right!” laughed Dragoon. “Power up X! It's time you showed me what you can do!”

Dragoon proved to be a formidable opponent for X. In addition to his literal firepower, Dragoon was also a devoted student of martial arts. He became fascinated with the legendary street fighters, Ken & Ryu. He studied their fighting style and longed for a worthy opponent to perfect his skills against. But in the end, X prevailed against him.

Dragoon now lay half dead at X's feet.

“...You... are... strong... X...” he weakly muttered.

“Such a waste...” said X. “Why Dragoon?”

“...Always... wanted... to fight... you,” said Dragoon. “...Then ...he ...appeared ...and”

“He appeared?” asked X. “Who?!”

“told me to help frame Repliforce,” continued Dragoon. “To goad you into fighting...”

“You did it just so you could fight me?” asked X.

“...wanted to fight for the thrill of fighting... like the tournament fighters of old...” coughed Dragoon. “...was worth it... for a final duel...” he sighed, as he faded away.

“Dragoon!!!”

Dragoon finished exploding, and X returned to hunter H.Q.

Hopefully you noticed some things in the various scenes from the game that may not have stood out to you as much before. For example, Colonel did appear as though he came to Memorial Hall to talk to Zero (not so much with X) but Zero took it as an opportunity to ambush him!

Posted on: 21 December 2007, 18:03:07

No one has commented on any of the Mega Man X chapters. Maybe you were all just waiting for me to complete the story (hopefully). That's all well, but now I've posted so many consecutive chapters that it's impossible for me to edit them! Because now the m-board thinks it's all one long post, which exceeds the character limit. So what you see is what you get. I hope I don't make a mistake posting this last chapter!

FYI, I've updated the very first chapter of this story with a big, new scene. So be sure to scroll up to the top and check out the new, extended Chapter 1. Thanks.

Chapter 9

Victory seems within reach for the Maverick Hunters. The 8 primary enemy targets have been dispatched by X, Zero, and the other hunters. However, Colonel and General have yet to be defeated, and many Repliforce soldiers remain under their command.

X & Zero have returned from their respective missions and they run into each other again at Maverick Hunter headquarters. Zero takes the opportunity to show X the image capture of Split Mushroom.

“X, take a look at the guy I fought inside the old abandoned lab,” said Zero. “Notice anything unusual?”

“Not really,” said X. “All Mavericks look alike to me.”

“Well I'm pretty familiar with all the Repliforce guys, and he's not one of 'em!” said Zero.

“Now that you mention it, when Dragoon turned traitor he indicated that someone outside of Repliforce put him up to it,” said X.

“Something sinister is at work here,” said Zero.

“You're right, but we don't have time to figure it out,” said X. “Repliforce is still at large, so we've got work to do.”

“You're right,” said Zero. “We'd best stay on our toes.”

All of a sudden, Double frantically busts up into the room, waving his arms around in panic.

“The Repliforce has begun assembling!” he cried.

“Where are they?” asked X.

“The space port!” answered Double. “They plan to take off into space!”

“Hurry! We have to stop the Colonel!” said X.

“Right, I'm on it!” said Zero.

“No!” Iris cried, making her presence known. “...Please wait Zero! I don't want to see you two fight...”

“Someone has to stop your brother,” said Zero, somberly. “I'm leaving...”

With that, Zero bolted for the space port. Slicing through all the guards as he climbed to the launching area was exhilarating. When he got to the top, he grabbed an energy canister hidden in the left wall to replenish himself before facing Colonel. He walked through the last gates and found Colonel on the other side. When he saw him, he couldn't help but think of Iris and how much she cared for both of them. He had to at least try...

“I don't want to fight,” said Zero. “Step back.”

“I'm sorry,” Colonel replied. “I can't let you through...”

Zero continued his inward struggle against his own combative reflexes.

“Iris will be sad if she loses you...” he said.

“Don't be so presumptuous Zero!” Colonel growled, taking it as an insult. “Save it until after you've defeated me!” he snapped.

Colonel came at Zero with everything he had. Zero was forced to respond aggressively, knowing that he could be fighting for his life! Just as Colonel was sending out a wave of projectile saber slashes, Zero double-jumped into the air and came down on Colonel with his icy Hyouretsuzan blade, piercing him right through the chest. Colonel was beaten. He fell to his knees, supporting himself on his blade.

“...Impressive,” said Colonel, in a strained voice. “But... it's too late!”

“What!?” growled Zero.

“Repliforce has left for the space!” Colonel explained. “The Replloids' nation will be born in the vastness of space. Even if I perish, Repliforce lives.”

“...Colonel,” Zero gasped, beginning to realize the extent of his former friend's injuries.

“...Zero. Tell Iris that her brother died happily!” Colonel coughed, as he laughed through the pain. “...Good bye Zero!”

“Colonel!!!” Zero yelled.

But at that moment, Colonel died. With a great, bursting explosion, he was gone.

Meanwhile, back at hunter H.Q.

It was as if Iris could feel a shock of pain when her brother passed away. She suddenly ran away in tears. Shortly afterwards, Zero reported back on his communicator that Colonel was gone, but the Repliforce launch had gone through. Double briefed X on the situation.

“Zero defeated Colonel, but Repliforce has still flown off into space...” said Double.

“...Double, watch the ship for me,” said X. “I'll go after them!”

“Sir! Reconsider what you're doing,” Double cautioned. “It's far too dangerous!”

“We don't have any other option!” said X. “I'm leaving you in charge here, Double!”

X dashes off for the space port to support Zero.
Meanwhile, Double and the other hunters from the 17th unit are moving some things around at the base, preparing to follow X on the mission. Clumsy as always, Double drops the crates he's carrying.

Clank!

“Oh! Not again,” moaned Double.

“Hey! Watch it!” said one of the nameless, nobody hunters.

“I'm terribly sorry,” Double apologized.

Just then, a little blinker on Double's chest started to beep.

“It's me!” came a voice on the other end of Double's communicator. “Those Hunters must not be allowed in here. Terminate them!”

“Roger,” whispered Double.

The other hunters all laughed at Double, thinking he was just talking to himself.

“What a freak!” one of the hunters said. “Ha, ha, ha!”

They kept laughing at Double like they were all so much cooler than him, even though they looked like some sort of mechanical clowns. That's when Doubles body beg
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  The Creation Station  |  : The Fall of Mega Man & The Age of X (fan fiction)
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string