MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 April 2024, 06:22:23
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  The Creation Station  |  : Webpage desiARGH!
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Webpage desiARGH!  (Read 2652 times)
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« on: 8 June 2008, 22:30:16 »

I need a bit of help... And my shrink is out today... So I'm going to bug you jerkwads.

My current host, Smackjeeves, Is a web community like any other, You have, amoungst those who wish to give construcitve criticism, Flamers and trolls, /b/tards, And my stalker ex girlfreind leaving nasty comments.

When the mods go on raids against flamers, they seem to just randomly fire into a crowd and kill off anyone they can, innocent or not.

So I'm jumping to a freewebs host, a plact that has yet been effected by the "connect with your freinds online" fad.

So I started with my awesome below par HTML skills, using what I knew, and looking a tutorails for what I didn't know... and at that point I hit a big BIG hurdle

BIG

When you have a webcomic site, People enjoy when you have (<< < > >>) Navagation buttons. All I can figure, is making clone pages, and editing the image, then linking all the other pages to it via the LAST button.

If I had 100 pages already uploaded, that would truely be a bitch.

Ive been told to learn PHP, Java, CMS, Or CCS for these things, but all I want to do is link my comic.

So my question is to you guys, Is there anyone who knows how  I can resolve this problem of mine?

I have two ideal ways of doing it.

1) The "last" image on each page consults an outside code (on another page), and that code would allow me to only edit one URL.

2) A way to have a stationary table, where the buttons change the image viewed in it.

So... Can you help me?
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #1 on: 8 June 2008, 22:34:44 »

The simplest way to do it is to rename whatever the LAST comic is as LAST.html every time you upload another one, then switch it to a number when it is no longer the last one, if that makes sense.

No trickery involved!

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 8 June 2008, 22:36:58 »

That's kinda the plan, But I'm also worried about how many pages I'm going to have to clone for that matter.

Either way, That seems to be the popular solution!
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #3 on: 8 June 2008, 22:37:51 »

But you'd only have to do it all once...

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 8 June 2008, 22:37:58 »

Learn PHP is right. I don't know it since my server doesn't host php for whatever reason (although they recently did an overhaul and might now). Small strings of php code are tons more powerful than html, and I'm really sure that it would be easy for you to make what you're looking for.

Other than that, I believe there's a number of sites that host webcomics that will just give you that exact sort of thing in a template, and then you can make it all look your own with editing. I think Lunche uses one for his comic.

Also, look into online services that will do it. There are places that will give you a tool like that which will be hosted offsite and they'll give you the code you need to enter into the body of your page, wherever you want it. There's a bunch of different kinds of these "gallery" type things that I've seen. Some where made in php, some in flash, etc. but it's easy to work with as that's all hosted on their server somewhere and all you have to do is put in the code they give you.

That way, you can just create the page one time and not have to clone it ever, just put the code inside a table or level/layer wherever you want it on the page and it should work out. I don't know if it will allow comments though.

Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 8 June 2008, 22:45:27 »

But you'd only have to do it all once...

Fortunately, I'm only toying with the site, coming up with a background, what have you, I even have that "last" page.

I'm just scouting my options.
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  The Creation Station  |  : Webpage desiARGH!
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string