MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
8 May 2024, 10:13:19
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The End Of The World As We Know It
Pages: 1 Print
Poll
Question: Should the worst happen, what should the worst look like?
I got my own plans. It's gonna be totally awesome and goes like this... (explain)   -1 (4.5%)
Nothing beats wearing black leather jackets in the desert. Call me Mad Max!   -2 (9.1%)
The world won't end, only be run by totalitarian governments and corrupt megacorps. An Equilibrium of Blade Runner and V for Vendetta.   -6 (27.3%)
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I am hoping for a zombie holocaust.   -7 (31.8%)
I got my own plans. It's gonna be totally awesome and goes like this... (explain)   -6 (27.3%)
Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: The End Of The World As We Know It  (Read 7405 times)
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« on: 2 October 2008, 21:40:32 »

Sometimes push comes to shove. And should the hardest push come to the strongest shove, things will go over the edge. That what's growing in the shards afterwards is what we like to call post-apocalyptic. Now have many authors come up with their own version of the end of the world, but some basic ideas always come up again.

Provided the right outfit and a reasonable amount of ammo, in what kind of post-apocalyptic world would you like to live?

Personally, I believe I'll go with the classic Mad Max/Fallout scenario of leather jackets, road-warriors, pump guns and anarchists. There's almost nothing not to like about it. And should that not work, I'll take the successful cocktail of zombie holocaust and totalitarian government that is the Half-Life universe.

White Shadow
Yubi Shines
Robot Master

« Reply #1 on: 2 October 2008, 21:48:04 »

I voted the totalitarian dystopia. It's not stylish, but I'll be prepared for it.

Half-Life scenario sounds pretty hot, though. I have a soft spot for zombie annihilation.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 2 October 2008, 21:53:45 »

Which V for Vendetta are we talking about?

The post-Nuclear holocaust Fascist Britain scenario in the comics, or the bad analogy for AMERICA(!) like in the movie?

It's the prior, then maybe THAT option.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 2 October 2008, 21:55:04 »

Personally I never really bought into all these rumors about the end of ze world, I love to look into them like the whole 2012 junk. Its fun to see peoples ideas run rampant and try and connect everything and a doughnut to the end. I think its just going to as such..

we'll continue to suck the earth dry of its resources, along the way we'll make up some neato tech to make tree's spew oxygen by the gallon and a super-mega freeze ray to try and fix the melty caps. Though, we'll go through some trial and error, places will be totally frucked up, city's will burn, sink, explode and maybe even sky rocket into space. It'll be about 25% of the world being destroyed directly by us and our wars, the rest is caused by the greed and evil intentions of man, and then, 500, maybe 1000 years into the future, the earth will cease to be an inhabitable planet. It'll go black and crunchy, like the bottoms of those frozen pizzas you put in the oven. We'll move onto another planet with our new technology, we'll be a new race, of Asian-Black-Hispanic-Caucasian-fish-robot people. We'll forget how we messed up one planet, and we'll move onto mars or something, to then we will start the ENTIRE cycle over again, we'll degenerate from some massive disaster and become primitive beings once again, only to evolve into greedy bipedal bastards.

Maybe we'll evolve into something good one day. If not, we're going to Jupiter as devils.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 2 October 2008, 21:55:23 »

In the absence of a real Death Race scenario, or an Escape From New York, or an I Am Legend, or TERMINATOR, or or or or... Really though, I don't care about those ones.

I'd like to amalgamate Mad Max with Orwell's Hell. Meaning, the totalitarianism, but with leather jackets and fast driving. But the main vote goes to 1984.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 2 October 2008, 21:56:36 »

I too voted for the Totalitarian Dystopia.

I wanna be the badass leader of a bunch of rebels who want to take down the evil governments.

Off-topic, but strangely enough, dystopia is a spelling error on FireFox.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 2 October 2008, 21:58:12 »

You won't be because I'm taking over first. I'm like #####ing Jeremiah in this #####.

And yeah I noticed that FF considers dystopia a spelling error a while back and don't get it either. I decided to just add it to the dictionary.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 2 October 2008, 23:24:03 »

This isn't something I have to worry about.

The Rapture will take me before the end comes to consume you all.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 2 October 2008, 23:51:52 »

Voted for zombie holocaust.

Because as appealing as every other option is, I'm a small guy and zombies are really the only things I can beat up.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 3 October 2008, 00:14:49 »

I voted Zombie holocaust, because I want to act like its Resident Evil or Dead Rising or whatever other zombie game there is... and probably fail horribly when I get cornered by zombie animals.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 3 October 2008, 00:17:49 »

Everyone always forgets about zombie animals.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 3 October 2008, 00:40:52 »

Zombie Holocaust.

I can go to my dad's, he's prepared for that, or any type of end of the world scenario where we'll have to fend off intruders from the house.
Lots and LOTS of Ammo.

I hate deserts.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 3 October 2008, 01:56:00 »

Some of those choices seem nice to me.
As fun as a Half Life-esque zombie holocaust would be, I have my own favorite inspired by a Discovery Chanel special:

Snowball Earth.

Basically, run-away greenhouse effect causes plant life to die. Earth gets warmer and warmer. Eventually seas boil. We're OK, we can live through that. Some of us.

Clouds form. Lots of water clouds. Nice white ones.
No sunlight to the surface.
Surface becomes increasingly colder, plant life thrives on increasing carbon dioxide levels.
Ice caps begin to grow. What little clouds there are left are replaced by nice, white ice.
Oxygen levels increase dramatically.
Little greenhouse effect causes runaway cooling.
Earth is covered by a healthy glaze of glaciers and icebergs, almost completely if not totally.

It's happened before, and it's pretty bleak... but it's a long, long shot by normal happenings.

I think it would be cool though.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 3 October 2008, 04:55:51 »

I honestly can't think of much worse than a zombie holocaust.

Can you imagine killing someone you love?

Even knowing that they weren't in there anymore?

Zombie movies never depict how psychologically devastating the whole thing would end up being.

PARTICULARLY in a place as huggy-feely as the US.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 3 October 2008, 05:02:43 »

SHAUN OF THE DEAD DEFINITELY COVERED THAT. DEFINITELY.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 3 October 2008, 12:21:10 »

So did Walking Dead.

Though, that isn't a movie.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #16 on: 3 October 2008, 12:33:00 »

This isn't something I have to worry about.

The Rapture will take me before the end comes to consume you all.

If you're talking about the BioShock Rapture, that counts as a zombie holocaust too, the way it worked out.

White Shadow
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 3 October 2008, 15:55:30 »

The cyberpunk junkie in me votes dystopian future.
Rama Olendris
Sniper Joe

« Reply #18 on: 3 October 2008, 16:01:59 »

The world will end when the sun goes boom, in layman's speech.

However the reign of humanity will probably be much more complicated or just as simple. The events leading up to the end of humanity will probably be what WIND said. There are also other theories out there including comet collision, new ice age, nuclear warfare (WWIII), volcanic eruption *(if one really big eruption occurs, it can devastate an entire planet).

Of course all of these leave potential for human life to continue, but it would definitely push humans from being the dominant species for good long time, or push them back so much it makes it near impossible to regain.

Emit hcum oot evah uoy neht, siht dear nac uoy fi.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #19 on: 3 October 2008, 18:18:56 »

I would like the typical post-apocalyptic cyberpunk scavenging future.

Yes.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 3 October 2008, 18:44:08 »

If you're talking about the BioShock Rapture, that counts as a zombie holocaust too, the way it worked out.

I was going for the classic Christian belief that, before the end of the world, God will come and take away the faithful, leaving the sinners to burn.

Also, I've seen all those movies you guys mentioned, but I don't actually think they gave the psychology proper weight.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 3 October 2008, 18:48:50 »

Shaun was surprisingly close, though, but it's a comedy so nobody expected it to give it the proper weight.

It's just all the more impressive that it at least addressed the issue better than other zombie films.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 4 October 2008, 02:15:51 »

I was going for the classic Christian belief that, before the end of the world, God will come and take away the faithful, leaving the sinners to burn.

Also, I've seen all those movies you guys mentioned, but I don't actually think they gave the psychology proper weight.

There's a movie called Walking Dead?

Huh, I was talking about the comic.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 4 October 2008, 16:43:31 »

My own plan:

We will all figure out that every one of our religions is #####, because there will be some crazy religious holocaust where everything as we know it changes completely.

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
von Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2008, 06:41:25 »

I could always live as a pirate with an artificial eyeball. Waterworld it is.

Macher; the Absolute

R.I.P. MMM... You are missed.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2008, 11:45:18 »

Good man.

White Shadow
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 11 October 2008, 04:08:44 »

I'm kind of impressed we've gone this long without someone posting the lyrics to that song. You know the one.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 11 October 2008, 04:16:35 »

I'm thinking it every time I look at this thread.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 11 October 2008, 04:42:05 »

Me too, but I can't go there. I can't. You can't make me.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 11 October 2008, 04:55:26 »

You guys too?
Heh.

AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 11 October 2008, 16:24:19 »

I voted for zombies. I really love zombie things, and it's something I'm used to. Everyone here (Bellingham) has a zombie survival plan. We talk about it at work, with friends, and even to complete strangers sometimes. (Okay, it's not as frequent an occurrence as that might lead you to believe, but it does happen often.)

Barring that, I'd definitely go for a water world, especially if mutations and/or interspecies-type combining (via surgery, because I'm not #####ing a giant squid no matter what the circumstance) is available or developed.

That's nice, dear.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 11 October 2008, 16:45:23 »

You guys too?
Heh.

Everytime I open up this thread I tell myself to download the song, but I never get around to it.

LOL BANDWAGON
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 11 October 2008, 16:47:25 »

When I first saw this thread, I though "What's this thread about? The song?"

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #33 on: 12 October 2008, 04:01:26 »

I voted for zombies. I really love zombie things, and it's something I'm used to. Everyone here (Bellingham) has a zombie survival plan. We talk about it at work, with friends, and even to complete strangers sometimes. (Okay, it's not as frequent an occurrence as that might lead you to believe, but it does happen often.)

Barring that, I'd definitely go for a water world, especially if mutations and/or interspecies-type combining (via surgery, because I'm not #####ing a giant squid no matter what the circumstance) is available or developed.

What about a little squid?

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 17 October 2008, 17:12:32 »

I voted for "none of the above" or whatever it was.

If the world ends, I want it to be like Cloverfield, and I want to be there when everything goes to #####.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 18 October 2008, 02:30:04 »

I haven't seen Cloverfield, but I'm pretty sure the WORLD didn't end in it.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #36 on: 18 October 2008, 02:32:24 »

For all we know, it did.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #37 on: 18 October 2008, 02:34:02 »

Maybe in the zequel.

Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The End Of The World As We Know It
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string