MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
9 May 2024, 01:48:52
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Let's talk flags, yeah?
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Let's talk flags, yeah?  (Read 7251 times)
Mikero
Super Robot

« on: 10 December 2008, 23:02:49 »

This is not about cigarettes or homosexuals. It says FLAGS, you dork. OK so a mixture of different events today prompted this, but I was thinking of flags. Obviously for a Canadian, you grow up with the Canadian and U.S.A. flags plastered all over your life, as well as the Union Jack, which I think are all very iconic and recognizable flags and are also just plain cool designs. But beyond those, what do you guys like in flag? Beyond "this is my country's flag so it rule hyah" crap, I mean. Feel free to post the meanings of the flags/why you think it's good. Also go ahead and say what flags suck out loud (I think Poland has a criminally mundane flag).

It's not that I'm part Bajan (but it helps) that I love the flag of Barbados; It's awesome in design just aesthetically but also it's meaning is cool too. The trident represents Neptune, god of the sea, as well the government (it's three points being a democracy for, of, and by the people), and also the "broken" sides of it represent Barbados' independence (breaking away from it's former ties as a British colony). The gold signifies the country's sand, and the blue represents the ocean and sky on each side.

Also I really like the flags of Israel, Nepal (whose people actually decided to think outside the box), Switzerland, Brazil (helps that it's my favourite soccer team), South Korea (SO so badass, and has been throughout it's few changes), and North Korea, aesthetically as I don't know anything about their significance really. These are flags you can look at and know what country that is.

I much prefer Japan's old rising sun flag to it's current one. The rising sun is one of my favourite flags ever, and I love putting similar concepts into my art (see: Mittens and Crumplehorn, etc.), it's current one (which isn't at all new) is iconic, sure, but it doesn't have that same "we're #####ing Japan" gusto.

Getting away from country flags, Canada's provincial flags are pretty boring to me. Many have a Union Jack in them, which is a far cooler symbol when it's alone and not pressed with something people don't know the meaning of. Others, that don't have Union Jack's sometimes adopt other countries' flags (Nova Scotia uses a bit of Scotland for example) but are still often yawnful.The exception to this is the Quebec flag. As much I dislike the separatist connotation of the fleur de lis, the Quebec flag is pretty bitchin'.

Any flag from anywhere of any type that is just stripes doesn't do it for me. Although I like Scotland's X-thing. Russia's flag was better when it was Soviet (sorry capitalism, it's true). Cuba's is kind of neat, and it's closeness to the U.S.'s (in aesthetic theme) makes me laugh about how much they hate each other.

No doubt this thread will sink into oblivion. I don't know. I dig flags.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2008, 23:19:57 »

South Korea is still my favorite flag and I don't know why. Israel is another great one, but I'm biased.

And wow, that old Japanese flag looks fantastic. Never seen that before. They should have kept that. Though I suppose it's a lot simpler and to-the-point with what they have now.

Anyway, this reminded me of an old idea I had to make my own nation and have my own flag and everything. The original joke was that the flag would just be green, no design. And everything in the country was green, and if you weren't wearing green clothes, you get pinched and/or lynched.

AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2008, 00:24:58 »

I've always adored the Welsh flag, mostly because of the dragon.

I also have a soft spot for the Mexican flag, but that might have something to do with my upbringing being so close thereto. I also love the story of the eagle.

I love flags that incorporate animals, be they mythical or real.

ps: I'm actually pleased that the wikipedia page differentiates between draqgons and wyverns.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2008, 00:33:24 by AlexThePenguin » Logged

That's nice, dear.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2008, 00:56:42 »

The Welsh one is pretty cool. I've always liked the image in the Mexican one, but again the stripeys.

The Zapatistas, a national liberation group in Chiapas (Mexico), has a cool, simple, but powerful flag. It is also in prominent use by Rage Against The Machine.

Also, hate to say it and won't link to it, but in terms of a powerful icon, the NAZI flags were probably the best at it. Perhaps it's just infamy and it wasn't that way at the time, I don't know; Memories of my work in the great wars has been erased. But basically it slaps you in face with a "This is who we are. This is what we do." kind of thing. It's been said by Jack White (of The White Stripes) that, paraphrased, the most powerful colour scheme is red, white, and black; "From a NAZI banner to a can of Coca-Cola". But anyway, from a war strategist standpoint, where one would have to manipulate media and such things, the design is rather formidable.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2008, 01:28:15 »

Many of you aren't going to like this due to my TTGL hype, but looks cool on it's own. Even if it was from an anime series.

Union Lagann, mother #####ers.

LOL BANDWAGON
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2008, 02:28:31 »

You silly Candians.
You can't even respect your own flag.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2008, 04:49:21 »

the Canadian and U.S.A. flags plastered all over your life, as well as the Union Jack, which I think are all very iconic and recognizable flags and are also just plain cool designs. But beyond those

Thanks for playing, Sandross.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2008, 05:04:46 »

Ukraine's flag is simple and elegant. And I'm descended from them, so that helps.

Oh, and Libya for no good reason.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2008, 05:24:36 »

That's terrible.

I made a sexy-awesome flag for a country I created in philosophy class. I forget what I named it, if I did. They were vertical stripes, green-white-green, the green parts had thick black lines in the shape of Us, patterned like scales. That may have been too much, I'm not sure. Overtop that, a black silhouette of a winged snake-dragon sort-of deal. It curved downward into a bubble over the white (not looping) and the bubble had a small yellow circle inside with a yellow crown over it. I would have shown you the picture, but my computer died in June and I've been out of High School for quite a while. I might have the printed-out copy somewhere.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2008, 05:27:29 »

the Canadian and U.S.A. flags plastered all over your life, as well as the Union Jack, which I think are all very iconic and recognizable flags and are also just plain cool designs. But beyond those

Thanks for playing, Sandross.

Sorry, I totally tl;dr'd that.
So, I just let loose my patriotic retardation instead.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2008, 11:13:25 »

If you're too lazy to actually read half a paragraph, that's a serious statement about you.

The Welsh flag is what got me into dragon mythology, initially. Well, it's what got me in enough to start a book based on dragon main characters which I later scraped due to lack of good reading in it.

That's nice, dear.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2008, 23:08:06 »

I think it's worth mentioning that the flags of Suwa, Nagano, Japan and Phoenix, Arizona, USA are almost exactly the same except with different birds (a Peng and Pheonix respectively).

Posted on: 11 December 2008, 17:55:45

And wow, that old Japanese flag looks fantastic. Never seen that before. They should have kept that. Though I suppose it's a lot simpler and to-the-point with what they have now.

It is awesome but it was actually mostly only used as the naval ensign until the end of WWII. Some maritime Japanese defense thing uses it now, but it as a negative association in nearby countries because of military background. But so does their actual flag, anyway.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #12 on: 18 December 2008, 11:04:58 »

End of discussion.

White Shadow
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2008, 13:23:53 »

Why does the flag have a Dragon drawn by a 12 year old on it?

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2008, 17:00:27 »

ARE THOSE DRAGON BALLS

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2008, 17:29:13 »

YES BUT NOT THE ONES IN DBZ
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 18 December 2008, 17:37:42 »

I like the Albanian flag.

The Zapatista flag

and the The RAtM "flag"

The irony here is that I'm partly colorblind, and can't see red.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2008, 17:43:10 »

Oh, Edge. Why did you just post some black squares?

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2008, 19:01:21 »

... Red isn't black to me, tardo, it's gray.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2008, 19:37:55 »

Red is a #####ty color, anyway.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2008, 19:57:09 »

Red is a perfectly fine colour, slothead.

And the flag White Shadow posted is cool. Dragon aside. I've long sinced gotten over my favouritism of dragons.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2008, 20:12:17 »

Wait, who's colorblind?

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 18 December 2008, 20:47:22 »

I like Black Flag's flag.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2008, 03:41:26 »

Black Flag can go eat a dick.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the Zapatista flag here, or knows what it is at least.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 19 December 2008, 17:29:14 »

Well, I quite like California's flag and the Flag Puerto Rico uses, though, I like the one I linked to, better than the current one. The only difference is that current one has a lighter shade of blue. And yes, I know it's a rehash of the American flag, but I like it anyway.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2008, 21:45:28 »

It's not a rehash of the American flag. It's a rehash of the Cuban flag.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 24 December 2008, 00:17:22 »

Huh. So it is.
Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 24 December 2008, 00:55:46 »

Here we have the ...Irish flag and here we have the Italian Flag

Text the difference to FLAG! and win a free XBox 360!

I assume Italy's has red cause it represents tomato sauce. :)
« Last Edit: 24 December 2008, 01:03:15 by Snare » Logged
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 24 December 2008, 01:08:49 »

Yep. I definitely am not into stripesy flags.

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 24 December 2008, 01:34:13 »

This flag screams IRELAND more than anything I've seen.

Why didn't they just stick to that?
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 24 December 2008, 02:18:59 »

What is this .SVG file?
I like it!

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 24 December 2008, 04:16:36 »

Scalable Vector Graphics.

I don't really know how to explain them 'cause I'm not entirely familiar with how they work yet, but apparently you can edit them as a text file and can CODE the bitches with stuff like actions similar to flash (eg: "onmouseover") and animations.

Since it's vector, it scales while preserving the shapes (so no blurring), but that much is obvious from the name.

And probably a lot more.
SVG is to raster graphics as PHP is to HTML.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 24 December 2008, 04:17:48 »

EVERYTHING SHOULD BE THAT FILE FORMAT FOREVER THAT IS AMAZING!

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #33 on: 24 December 2008, 22:26:06 »

It doesnt work for everything, but it is nice.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 25 December 2008, 06:29:34 »

I've always been a fan of the "Don't Tread on Me" flag.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Let's talk flags, yeah?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string