MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
2 May 2024, 06:42:36
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Teelio's Mandatory Metroid Thread
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Teelio's Mandatory Metroid Thread  (Read 1613 times)
Teelio
Sniper Joe

« on: 9 March 2018, 21:28:59 »

Being several months late since the E3 2017 announcements, it's an absolute must to discuss...

As I'm sure everybody is aware, Metroid Prime 4 was announced. I am a die-hard fan of the first three in the series, but I remain concerned with how good the story element will be in this fourth installment. Metroid Prime itself (or herself depending on your point of view) was destroyed, the Phazon source planet annihilated... So how can this still be named "Prime" if the main antagonist is defeated? A few sources confirmed that the trilogy's story arc is complete. No more Metroid Prime/Dark Samus... Would have been better off with a new name, or better yet, replacing Prime 4 with Metroid 5.... On top of that, Bandai Namco is replacing Retro on developing the game. Despite hesitation, I'm still looking forward to seeing the gameplay and details as they unfold. Theories on the story include Sylux's return (first appearance in Prime: Hunters) as an antagonist, Samus' brother making an appearance, or a mesh of the two with Sylux being Samus' brother, which sounds pretty lame...

Then there is Metroid: Samus Returns (Metroid II remake) for 3DS, which looks beautiful. I don't currently own a 3DS (yet), so didn't have a chance to play it. There was a fan-made remake called AM2R that I managed to snag before Nintendo removed it from the web (considering they were already remaking it). The fan remake is a great game, an homage to what was thought to be a dead franchise at the time. If you had the chance to grab it before the project was shut down, I'm sure some of you may agree.

My most anticipated announcement would be an official Metroid 5, which seems to be on the backburner (if not dropped completely), with most of Nintendo's efforts going into Prime 4. The standard story MUST continue... Most hard Metroid fans are praying for any lifesigns within the long-awaited installment, but there is little to no hope left. For those that don't understand the storyline within the foundation, the order goes as follows:

1. Metroid/Metroid:Zero Mission (NES/GBA)
2. Metroid II: Return of Samus (GameBoy)
3. Super Metroid (SNES)
4. Metroid Fusion (GBA)
5. Metroid V (??)

Prime series being set on its own timeline, but supposedly happens between Metroid and Metroid II..... And Other M (yuck) right before Fusion.

So Fusion is the most "recent" progression storywise, with an interesting cliffhanger that may put Samus up against the Galactic Federation. We may never know.....

Share your feelings on the revival of the Metroid series, whether they are good vibes or bad ones. If you've had a chance to play Metroid: Samus Returns, please share your experience. I'm hoping to play it sometime soon....

tlo
LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2018, 12:04:27 »

yes its so good to see some fusion love

it really did a good job of making you feel helpless

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun (mmx3 opening tune intensifies)
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2018, 00:44:56 »

Anything after Fusion has to fix her #####ing suit so it looks correct again and not the jello tights over parts of power suit Fusion used.  And be full 2D, not 2.5D.  I don't care about anything else apart from that.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2018, 08:12:58 »

I tried playing Prime once (the Wii Trilogy version), and I wasn't really into it. But then again, I'm not really a big fan of FPS games normally...

I did like the original Metroid even though I was awful at it as a kid. I'd love to pick up the remake of the 2nd game on 3DS eventually and then play Super Metroid afterward.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2018, 12:54:17 »

I think people are reading into the name a little too much. You're completely right that it shouldn't be called "Metroid Prime" if Metroid Prime itself was destroyed, but I think the name of this new iteration falls more on marketing than anything else. People have been saying "WHERE'S METROID PRIME 4?!?!?!?" for a decade now, even if that technically doesn't make sense with the story.

The title "Metroid Prime" is more indicative of a gameplay style for Metroid universe games than anything else, so it's their way of saying this will be a first-person shooter and not a side-scroller. However, I bet they'll find a way to make the plot work enough to deserve the title; Whether that's some kind of resurrection/clone/new version of the Metroid Prime/Dark Samus or by placing the game before the events of Prime 3.

Though I had fun playing Metroid Prime 2, and the demo for Hunters, I'm a much bigger fan of the traditional Metroid games, personally, from a gameplay standpoint. Whatever the case, I would prefer a new installment to Metroid's storyline instead of the constant re-hash they always do. I still own and PLAY the Gameboy cart of Metroid II: Return of Samus, but it's really hard to find a big difference between Metroid, Metroid II, and Super Metroid (especially since Super Metroid is basically a remake). I thought Fusion was a really fresh take on the game, and a nice way to go in a new direction.

And I think people hate on Other M far too much, but I understand it's large flaws with story points and gameplay limitations (#####in' Adam). That said, it mostly gets hate because of one admittedly ill-advised scene.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2018, 14:09:52 »

Though I never ended up playing it, the only big thing I remember not liking about Other M was the control scheme. If I remember right you could only use the Wii Remote sideways and nothing else.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2018, 14:51:56 »

It's for sure not a good game, but I'm glad they tried a new plot.

Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2018, 18:06:13 »

That's a plausible reason, Mikero. The name seems much more connected to marketing and the gameplay style rather than the storyline. As for Prime: Hunters, apparently it takes place between Prime 1 and 2, according to the Wiki guide (which may or may not be completely reliable for information). It would make much more sense if it took place after the third installment (considering the post-credits scene), if they manage to put Prime 4 somewhere in between the 3 games. There's enough room between the installments to add some more story...

The ordeal behind the title is like naming a game installment "Halo" and not going to any Halo installation throughout the game, or even a slight reference to it. Oh wait, that's already been done!

As for Other M, it held some entertainment for a time (the Nightmare boss fight is my highlight), but it left much to be desired, and felt solely focused as a backstory; an explanation for Adam Malkovich and Samus' relationship with him.... Overall, it left a bittersweet taste in my mouth, and didn't have much replayability (since all the hidden energy/missile upgrades weren't too challenging to collect) in my opinion.

Fusion was a great game... One of my favorites next to Super Metroid and Prime 2. I doubt she'll sport that tight suit again, since she obtains her Chozo armor back from the SA-X at the very end of the game. I'm just crossing my fingers, hoping they can revive Metroid V once everything is said and done with Prime 4.

What I'm hoping to see in the new Prime installment are some, if not all of the characters from Hunters play some sort of role. No plot information has been disclosed yet, but those theories about Sylux making an appearance seem likely (if Bandai decides to go the route, that is). Unless of course, that post-credits scene was to simply tease Nintendo's interest in doing more with Prime in the future, which could explain why the fourth installment had so much hype behind it...
« Last Edit: 12 March 2018, 18:19:22 by Teelio » Logged

tlo
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2018, 13:20:01 »

Hopefully people don't get totally bent out of shape like they did over Federation Force.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2018, 17:00:53 »

I feel like they would just because. Honestly, I thought Federation Force looked like crap, but the amount of extra hate it kept getting throughout the rest of its development was a bit ridiculous.
Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2018, 18:53:34 »

Federation Force seemed to be Nintendo's idea to curb the fan's appetite for more Metroid while they worked on Samus Returns. Prime 4 was perhaps an idea written on paper at the time. Too bad it didn't succeed.

I never played it, but based off of its sour reception, might be one worth skipping out on. Also heard it was "too difficult", among other excuses.

Looking forward to this year's E3, hoping to see some actual gameplay footage of Prime 4, and little hope for an announcement of another installment (which seems unlikely).

No more spin-offs please.

(cue memories of Prime: Pinball)

tlo
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2018, 12:52:46 »

I didn't play Federation Force either but word is it was a great little co-op game just happened to be themed with Metroid stuff. I think we're gonna see a #####-fit no matter what, but that alone will be a fun ride.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2018, 01:21:21 »

I recently played Samus returns.  It was a fun game from start to finish, but I just don't feel like playing it again.  Don't get the wrong idea, It was great.  But I really don't want to play it again.  Maybe once in a year or so I'll do a new game.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2018, 01:25:33 »

I felt that way about Persona 5. Loved it, but I haven't played the game since I beat it. But I do want to replay it eventually.

Probably will pick up Samus Returns soon, been wanting something new to play on my 3DS.
Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2018, 05:22:59 »

With all the recent tributes to past releases within Super Mario Odyssey & Kirby Star Allies, it's only fair that the new Metroid should pay homage to all of the monumental installments in the franchise's history. A revamped Ridley won't suffice.

tlo
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2018, 13:23:16 »

Give me Draygon.  He/#####/It hasn't had any love.  Kraid & Crocomire too. 
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2018, 18:12:13 »

With all the recent tributes to past releases within Super Mario Odyssey & Kirby Star Allies, it's only fair that the new Metroid should pay homage to all of the monumental installments in the franchise's history. A revamped Ridley won't suffice.

I hope it pays homage to "the corridors of Metroid" and Mother Brain from Captain N: The Game Master.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #17 on: 13 April 2018, 20:03:31 »

Only if you have to fight King Hippo, Eggplant Wizard, and Dr. Wily before you get to her.

Teelio
Sniper Joe

« Reply #18 on: 13 April 2018, 22:02:34 »

Hopefully she won't be a boss fight...

I mean, how can you possibly harm an innocent, beautiful face like this?

tlo
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 19 April 2018, 16:39:07 »

How DID she put on makeup without hands, by the way? Did they explain this in the canon?

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #20 on: 19 April 2018, 18:32:42 »

Bubble Man did it for her.

Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Teelio's Mandatory Metroid Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string