MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
3 May 2024, 09:23:45
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Miscellaneous MegaMan Games  |  : Netflix to ruin Mega Man as well!
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Netflix to ruin Mega Man as well!  (Read 984 times)
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« on: 14 December 2021, 14:39:05 »

https://kotaku.com/netflixs-next-live-action-victim-is-mega-man-1848208454

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2021, 16:08:37 »

Yeah, that ought to be a train wreck.  I won't be watching it.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2021, 17:26:53 »

Now hold on.

We all thought the Sonic movie was going to be absolute dogcrap but somehow against all odds, it ended up being surprisingly decent.  I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but considering how it's Netflix, I don't have much hope.  We will have to see.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2021, 18:27:13 »

Kinda with Xero on this one. I wouldn't call Sonic "decent" but it was far better than expected.

But primarily I take an issue with Kotaku here. I have worked on projects for Netflix and I think articles like this are overtly disingenuous about the process of television/filmmaking.

The idea that "Netflix" is one thing making a show is like assuming your Guinness actually was bottled in Ireland.

Whether a show produced for Netflix is successful or not isn't a true marker of a future projects' quality in the way that you should have expectations of something like HBO. Kotaku (and by extension, this thread) invokes the failure of Cowboy Bebop as if that's some metric as to why Mega Man will fail, but they are completely different production studios adapting them for television. And of those umbrella studios how much is farmed out to smaller studios with more specificity?

Like, I've personally worked on movies where you wouldn't necessarily realize our studio was so heavily involved. I know people who don't work for Disney/Marvel but worked on Avengers: Endgame because a VFX studio was hired for support. There's more levels to this stuff than just <company> is producing <product>, and Netflix is first and foremost a platform rather than a service production company.

To put it one last way: You wouldn't expect Uwe Boll and his team to create a motion picture at the same level of quality as Denis Villeneuve's just because both were directing films for New Line Cinema. Articles like this just prey on the general public's ignorance of the industry as a whole.

Now, having said all that...
I personally dislike all these pushes to make live action adaptations, and more often than not adaptations are garbage when the source material was perfectly cromulent. I don't have interest in this project, but I will watch without paying extra it if it hits a streaming service I am subscribed to (as I did with Sonic).

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2021, 19:47:52 »

Naw, it's going to be Bebop levels of cringe and awful.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2021, 21:36:19 »

Yeah, nothing I wrote disputes that.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2021, 00:37:19 »

We could schedule a discord call and group watch party. We can record the discord call for some MST3K style commentary.

Of course, Rez will have his own commentary track, separately. Otherwise nobody else will get a word in.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2021, 01:04:09 »

Naw, it's going to be Bebop levels of cringe and awful.

That's what I'm afraid of. 
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2021, 01:34:57 »

It's pointless to fear the inevitable.

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2021, 18:08:49 »

Uwe Boll is the guy who killed the guy who ran Something Awful by punching him so his face hard. I wonder what he will do to Mega Man?
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Miscellaneous MegaMan Games  |  : Netflix to ruin Mega Man as well!
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string