MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
4 May 2024, 06:20:44
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Computer Problem Topic
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Computer Problem Topic  (Read 3344 times)
TheOnly
Robot Master

« on: 27 August 2010, 19:56:01 »

Since there's isn't, might as well make one.OK.

OK! Let's see, for a while I got a message saying the hard drive was "imminant" so I ignored for a good year. Then the color went retarded, I can still see the color,not as well, cuze it has shades of white, so I decided to replace my hard drive with a new one, and yet its still doing the same problem. Anyone know what might be the issue?
« Last Edit: 1 September 2010, 01:37:28 by TheOnly » Logged

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2010, 21:10:00 »

So... you replaced your hard drive (which has been warning you that failure is imminent, so that's not too bad I guess) to correct what was probably a monitor or video card issue?

Try fiddling with your monitor's settings.  Which should be accessed from the screen's controls.  This is not only the most simple solution, it's also free.

You could also try messing with your video settings to see if you can correct it, or you may need to check the cables.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2010, 21:25:14 »

You forgot to charge him.

That should come to about 25,000 Wily Fun Bux.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2010, 00:08:20 »

It could just be that the videocard is going.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2010, 00:29:31 »

Possible, but when you troubleshoot you always start with the most likely, easiest to fix and cheapest to fix.

In this case that's monitor > cables > software/driver/OS conflicts > card/connector > other hardware issues.

Without more information it's impossible for us to know anyway.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2010, 04:25:38 »

I connected my laptop to the monitor, and yeap, I think
It could just be that the videocard is going.

Thye colors on the monitor macthed with the laptops, so I think thats what am going to do, I want to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7, with that said, does it matter what video card I put in? Also, whats the biggest single RAM chip thingy out there? Becuase I just added 1 gig at this computor place and I was wondering if there are bigger ones out there, you know, me being ignorant about computor satuff and all. Thanks.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2010, 04:31:34 »

A laptop?
You'll need a new one.
And 32 bit systems  can only use 3GB of RAM.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2010, 04:34:41 »

4GB, John.  Yes, the system may pull more out from available RAM for OS operations, but 32-bit operating systems and motherboards can support 4GB.

And your motherboard, TheOnly, determines how much RAM you can have in a single stick.
Best to stick with 1GB sticks, even though they make 2GB and 4GB sticks.

The only concern with video cards should be what sort of PCI slots you have, and how much wattage you can use up with one.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2010, 04:40:06 »

A laptop?
You'll need a new one.
And 32 bit systems  can only use 3GB of RAM.
The laptop is fine, I only used it on the monitor to see if the monitor works or not, the problem is the tower, so the bigger the bit system the more it can take then?

The only concern with video cards should be what sort of PCI slots you have, and how much wattage you can use up with one.

In other words as long as it can support it? 

Signature:
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2010, 04:50:39 »

sorry is houldn't be posting im drunk, haha.

I can't even make sense of anything myself.
I can still type okay when I'm drunk but you shouyld see what a pitiful pile of fat stupid i am right now.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2010, 05:00:11 »

Sounds fun, yet torturing...

Signature:
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2010, 13:59:20 »

And somehow I woke up 8 hours later with no hangover.

I love being me :)

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2010, 18:11:30 »

Wow, ok. So how much do videocards usually go for?

Signature:
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2010, 20:36:35 »

As much as you want to spend.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2010, 21:48:08 »

cheap ones are like 50 bucks for something decent.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2010, 21:59:51 »

I should probably have tried to be more helpful.

How old is the computer? If it's more than a couple years old (or if you're otherwise not planning on doing anything too graphics-intensive) you should probably grab an old card for cheap, but if it's new you can get a midrange (say $150-200) card that will last you for years to come.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #16 on: 1 September 2010, 01:50:30 »

Desktop: I got one for 60$, then I added 2GIGs of RAM for another 136$, so that puts up the desktop at 2.97 of RAM, and got a 320 GIG Hard Drive for 90$.....I think, it was a few weeks back when I got it.

LAPTOP: Apparently my laptop is considered an "old laptop", it can only nab on to 2GIGs, so I got them for tomorrow, compared to 512 I have right now, the dude said I will be amazed how better the lappie will perform then.

SO FAR THAT BRINGS TO A TOTAL OF: 422$   

Signature:
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #17 on: 1 September 2010, 03:28:12 »

I think you should've spent a little more time on research; $136 is a ridiculous sum for 2 gigs of ram. Where are you buying this stuff from?

And if you have an old laptop and they expect you to pay over $50 for 1.5 gigs of extra ram thats crazy.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #18 on: 1 September 2010, 04:05:35 »

Meh, oh well, damages been done, tho it sounded reasonable to me, but looks like it rly was not...

EDIT: sooo-sick-sooo-Sick-soooo-SSICK!!! operation slap on Windows 7 Ultimate: DONE!!!
« Last Edit: 11 September 2010, 05:18:53 by TheOnly » Logged

Signature:
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Computer Problem Topic
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string