MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
4 May 2024, 03:36:23
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Site coding advice
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Site coding advice  (Read 975 times)
MOX
Robot Master

« on: 24 November 2009, 08:17:02 »

I'm trying to help make a website for my parents' business. I'm sure some of you guys here are proficient in coding sites which would be a great help because I'm a wannabe web designer.

I don't know any html or css, so what I've been doing is making creating the website design in photoshop, slicing it up, and editing it in dreamweaver.

For me to be able to type on a particular part of the design, what I do is remove the an image from the cell, put a table in its cell, and then put back the image as a table background so then I can type over the image. If you know a better method I'm open to hear.

What I want to do is add a vertical scroll bar in that table so that when I type, the text will automatically go down a line rather than stretching the table and ruining the site layout.

This is the table I want the put the scrollbar in:

<td width="567" height="286" colspan="3" valign="top" background="images/CONTENT.jpg">&nbsp;This is some text.</td>

I tried my hand at putting the scrollbar in, but it intead of the text going down a line, it stays on the same line and a horizontal scrollbar pops up instead.

<td width="567" height="286" colspan="3" valign="top" background="images/CONTENT.jpg"><div style=" width:567px; height:286px; overflow-y:scroll ">&nbsp;This is some text.</div></td>
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2009, 08:16:25 »

I'm having a hard time understanding why the table wouldn't do that automatically...

I don't really know how to put a scrollbar on a table but then I don't know why you're using tables at all for this in Dreamweaver when you can make text boxes on top of your images instead.

Really, I think I just don't understand what you're trying to do.

If you have the time, you should learn php. I don't know anything about it other than simple lines of code are far more powerful than html.

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2009, 22:16:00 »

It's cool, I figured it out and went into Dreamweaver to do it for me. I think I messed up the div tag or something so having Dreamweaver do it for me fixed it.

Yeah I just wanted to be able to type over an image so I thought making a background image in a table would do it, I didnt know you could add text boxes in Dreamweaver though. Php is definately something I want to learn in the future though.
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Site coding advice
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string