MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
4 May 2024, 03:23:38
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : HDTV advice
Pages: « 1 2 Print
Author Topic: HDTV advice  (Read 21326 times)
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #50 on: 21 June 2009, 20:02:57 »

As someone who does connect his laptop to his TV through HDMI, yes. The sound will come out of your computer's speakers and you can even tell your computer to make the sound come out of your TV.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #51 on: 21 June 2009, 20:52:13 »

I don't think that's what he's trying to do.

I think he wants his videogame sound from his TV to computer.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #52 on: 21 June 2009, 21:41:14 »

It should work fine either way. I'm pretty sure you can basically tell the computer where to do what, or at least that's how it works when my friend does it on his laptop.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #53 on: 22 June 2009, 02:19:44 »

Maybe if you have an ATI graphics card.
Not NVidia though, no no.

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #54 on: 4 July 2009, 02:48:22 »

I declare this a tech advice thread as of now.

I'm building a new computer and I have a 250gb harddrive I will be using. My old computer has a 74 GB harddrive which has all my files. I plan on just having my old HDD as a secondary HDD so I dont have to back up files and such.

However, I have Windows XP 32 bit installed on my old hard drive and I plan on installing Windows XP 64 bit on my 250 gb harddrive (my main HDD).

How's this going to end up?
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #55 on: 4 July 2009, 02:54:10 »

fine. So long as you wipe the old hard drive.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #56 on: 4 July 2009, 03:12:41 »

Sometimes I think I'm into way too many things. Then people start talking about building their own computers or going to conventions or eating fish and stuff and I get checked right back down with the knowledge that it could be worse.

Not that there's anything wrong with doing that stuff, it just seems like a total migraine to me. And it's not 'cause I'm bad a fixing stuff or building things, since I'm alright at that.

Diff'rent strokes.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #57 on: 4 July 2009, 05:14:57 »

To elaborate: set up the new computer and move all important files to the new hard drive.

You can use the old one as a backup after it's wiped.

ALSO. Right now, if you pre-order, Windows 7 Home Premium is only $50.
I suggest using that.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #58 on: 4 July 2009, 05:17:10 »

My computer has gotten so slow and retarded...

...that I'm wiping the hard drive.

Just to see if it does anything.

I transfered most of the good stuff to my terabyte external, so I'm all set.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #59 on: 4 July 2009, 05:45:09 »

Upgrade to windows 7.
Release candidate is free until March.
Works awesome.

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #60 on: 4 July 2009, 18:14:39 »

I'm mostly building my computer this time for educational purposes. My computer's been dying on my constantly so I'm glad I'll be having one that doesnt.

So I can't use my second HDD as a secondary in my computer unless I wipe it? Main reason I want to use it as is, is so I don't have to go through the hassle of moving all of my old files to an external. If the reason that I can't use it as a secondary is because it has an OS in it, couldn't I just remove the OS?

It's actually not as big of a deal as I'm making it sound, but I'd like to save a bit of time.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #61 on: 4 July 2009, 19:15:37 »

Upgrade to windows 7.
Release candidate is free until March.
Works awesome.

Explain, because I'm considering this. I mean, I'm wiping the whole drive anyway and I'd have to use an old XP install disc... so I'd rather try Windows 7 finally. Give me the details, broseph.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #62 on: 4 July 2009, 19:36:07 »

It's what Windows Vista should have been. It's easier on your system resources, is compatible with all previous Vista drivers, and even has the usability of Windows XP thanks to a clever xp framework shell. Think XP with Vista aesthetic.

WINDOWS GET!

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #63 on: 4 July 2009, 19:38:14 »

I think you can burn Windows 7 on a disk and install; it'll expire around like March next year.

I plan on dual booting windows 7 so I'll still have an OS by the time it expires.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #64 on: 4 July 2009, 23:11:31 »

The reason you want to copy the files over and then wipe the harddrive is... well actually I can think of two just off the top of my head.

1) Different OSes don't play well together.

2) If you're not using the OS you may as well remove the couple gigs of system files it stashes on your harddrive.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #65 on: 5 July 2009, 04:08:24 »

Nice! I think I'm gonna' try this out.

Vista had no appeal to me, and neither does Windows 7 really, but I keep hearing about how great it is and if I'm ever gonna' switch, now's the time.

Plus, I can't find my XP install discs, anyway.

For anyone curious: I use a extra-large laptock connected to a docking station BASICALLY as if it were a desktop computer. I never take it around with me places like most people do with laptops. However, the mobility of a laptop is a huge necessity to me so I can take it back and forth from school and other places where it will stay for long periods of time.

The problem is that I've worn this thing down so much over the years. It's slowly built up so much crap that I don't ever want to even start THINKING about sitting down and cleaning this thing up. And it's not that I don't take good care of it: it's just the natural build-up of space. It only has an 80GB hard drive because I bought it right before, suddenly, every laptop in stores could hold a #####load more than they used to be able to.

It's now running so slow and sluggishly that I can't stand it anymore.

I copied the essentials to my terabyte and I'm gonna' go for it.

Posted on:  4 July 2009, 18:30:48

Alrighty, I'm all jazzed up with Windows 7. So far so good.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #66 on: 5 July 2009, 06:02:27 »

You'll learn to love it. It runs like a dream.

I'm going to pre-order the full version this month.
I could also crack the Release Candidate to never expire, but I wouldn't get all the other fancy things with it's release...

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #67 on: 5 July 2009, 06:33:53 »

I got a question on dual booting Windows 7.

My HDD is partitioned for one OS. The 64 bit version says it needs 20 gb minimum, so can I just partition 20 gb and in Windows 7 and use other files installed already, or it doesn't work that way?
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #68 on: 5 July 2009, 06:54:10 »

You can run a lot of files from the other OS, so you can just shortcut them and they will have their own set of prefs for the new operating system, but I've found that they work better if installed in the OS itself.

For example, I can run just about every one of my Vista programs on windows 7 off of the Vista partition, but they don't keep any of the settings.
Programs that i care about more and use often, I installed to my 7 Partition. Other odd/huge programs like video converters, VLC, MPC, and Photoshop still work fine, I just have to change the settings.

Long story short, you don't have to re-install all your programs, but they work better and are easier to access of you do.

I will say that it's annoying to always navigate though my Vista drive to get to stuff, even with shortcuts, because it treats it like an entirely different computer.

Also, I have to use vista to do any torrenting because Vista has all my stats and my list saved, as well as all the port modifications.

I suggest partitioning 30GB for W7 if possible, just because after the initial 16, it'll have to update and it's good to have a page file.

On another note, I HATE HATE HATE Dell computers.
I was going to get windows 7 dual booting on my girlfriend's laptop, but when I tried to shrink partition "C:" I got the famous "CATASTROPHIC FAILURE" error.  Which basically means windows has no idea what's going on.

Turns out that the media software that ships with Dell PCs has it's own 2.5 GB partition and it sits at the end of the disc. It can never be fully removed, as it's even built into the BIOS of the computer. It can actually boot without the operating system.
Well, it makes the hard drive un-partitionable.
And I HATE Dell right now.

Who the hell in their right mind ties up and entire hard drive with a rip-off of windows media center? And even writes the crappy program (I tried to use it, it's very very very weak) into the BIOS so it can boot independently?  It's not like people occasionally might want to do a little more with their computer than just surf the internet, watch movies, and play games.

This message must be hella long by now....

tl;dr?
Windows 7 is awesome and Dells are the spawn of satan.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #69 on: 5 July 2009, 09:21:08 »

Wait.

WHAT?!

WHAT?!

I thought Acer was bad, but that... is unconscionable.
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #70 on: 5 July 2009, 17:16:43 »

I thought Acer computers were pretty good but I never really mess with the technical stuff.

Among other things, the computer I built was able to turn on and run successfully. Taking less than a minute to start up as opposed to 5 minutes is sooo much better.  :)

Though my motherboard only reads 3.75 gb of the 4 gb ram, so I think I'll have to check the BIOS or call Micro Center (place I bought the parts).
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #71 on: 5 July 2009, 17:25:27 »

That's normal.

My computer only recognizes 1.9 GB of my 2.

Not like you'll ever really use all of it anyways.

And congrats on building a working computer!

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #72 on: 8 July 2009, 10:45:03 »

This isn't much of a tech question but I'm having some tech problems that have lead me to be using my PC right now, and though nothing's wrong with my Mac that hasn't been wrong with it for a long time that I've been living with and I'm probably not going to be using this computer again for a long time after tonight, I'd like to know what encoding you guys use for FireFox. Because my signature doesn't show up and it's annoying.

Anyway the tech problem I'm having is with my portable external hard drive, a WD Passport. If this were a USB stick or something I wouldn't give a ##### but this thing actually has every file I actually want to keep, since I run a few computers with different OSs and stuff, including all my art from the past 9 years, all of my site, ALL OF MY PHOTOS (the most irreplaceable, really), and a bunch of videos and TV seasons and other stuff you keep. Actual #####, not like a bunch of lolcats images and mp3s. So it's a whole thing.

But I think I've figured it out for now. I'm 90% sure it's cord is busted and my iBook and my mom's PC laptop just can't send enough power through the USB to make it work now. The Mac has utterly ceased to recognize this thing is connected when it worked fine for like a year or more, and the pc laptop can find it after I meander about arbitrarily putting the thing in weird positions for a while and then having to hold it there to do anything.

Tonight I tried it in my desktop PC for the first time since this has been an issue (which is, for months now) and it works completely fine when directly connected. So I'm copying all the files to here just in case this thing can't be fixed and I have to replace it. But I'm thinking if I can find a new cord or one of these Y-cords that connect to two USB ports (slim chances for either, maybe) then I can get this going strong again. I didn't bring it up here because I figured it was a Mac problem or a "well you're boned" scenario.

By the way, if you ever need to troubleshoot anything by Western Digital, don't bother with their website. At all. Yeah. I looked a LOT of ##### for this online tonight. I'm really tired.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #73 on: 8 July 2009, 18:11:19 »

I like those passport drives, how big is it's hard drive?

If you need to wiggle it around to get it to work, it's probably the cord, or possibly the USB connectors themselves have something wrong with them, such as bent connector plate.

I have little experience with them so I can't say too much.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #74 on: 8 July 2009, 19:18:42 »

It's ~80GB. I'm figuring the same as you, which is good, because for a while I was worried that actual drive had been damaged.

Generally if something doesn't register it can be because the USB can't supply enough power through the bus, so if this had an additional power hookup like an AC or DC cord, it would probably work fine on the laptops. But it's not one of those desktop external harddrives, it's focus is on portability so it only gets power through USB.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #75 on: 8 July 2009, 19:21:28 »

Some laptops have USB ports that don't pump out as much energy you know.
On a Mac, I know only one side (left or right) allows extra power to be sent through.
Same on most laptops.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #76 on: 8 July 2009, 19:24:39 »

My Mac only has USB on one side anyway, and I'd say it was those that are screwed up, but the thing doesn't really work on that PC laptop which is the newest computer in the house. Although it is a tiny little thing...

Anyway the drive worked perfectly up until now on the Mac.

But this isn't my question, I just want to know what to set Firefox to because certain text things aren't showing up.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #77 on: 8 July 2009, 19:28:30 »

Do they work in internet explorer?
If so, I have no idea.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #78 on: 8 July 2009, 23:04:39 »

Nah they don't, but I think it's an old IE anyway. I just used it until Firefox was done installing, so all of three minutes max.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #79 on: 25 November 2009, 21:42:04 »

I saw this and maybe I can find my answer here, am going to buy a Wii in a few weeks, my question is, Nintendo says that they don't do HD, and yet, they they sell HD calbes or it. Should I even bother getting it or no?

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #80 on: 25 November 2009, 22:09:18 »

It's 480p SD.
goes into HDTV and looks decent.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #81 on: 26 November 2009, 00:46:50 »

The difference is really marginal though.

I actually regret buying the component cables for my Wii, though I suspect that is due to the combination of what I consider to be a negligible difference, and the fact that I almost never play the damn thing.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #82 on: 26 November 2009, 01:25:14 »

thanks for the input ppl.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #83 on: 8 February 2010, 21:51:09 »

I just bought this badboy.

Me likey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-23-LCD-HDTV-1080p-Flat-Panel-Monitor-P2370HD_W0QQitemZ130359356019QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTelevisions?hash=item1e5a05ea73

Posted on: February 08, 2010, 04:45:55 PM

Also, stereo analog cables can send a 4.1 signals, to clear up the argument earlier in the thread.

Pages: « 1 2 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : HDTV advice
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string