MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 10:57:11
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  X Series  |  : So whats going to happen to the X Series?
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: So whats going to happen to the X Series?  (Read 8477 times)
MichaelCrow
Noob

« on: 14 October 2008, 20:42:41 »

This is a question that has been bothering me a bit, but no, I haven't lost any sleep over it. i was wondering where the X series will be going in the story or to which platform system it will go to for good. Yeah, I know there are the MHX games on PSP, but I'm more worried about what's supposed to happen after X8... After I beat X8 and saw the endings, I was somewhat starving for more. Any ideas or hints as to what might happen next for the X series storyline or are we doomed to remakes from here on out?
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2008, 20:56:09 »

Probably nothing, which is all for the best anyway. If we're really lucky, an X9 taking after the style of X1 (using the same soundfonts would be brilliant too, I loved that game's instrumentation). We're probably not getting that lucky though.
MichaelCrow
Noob

« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2008, 21:05:25 »

You're probably right....I kinda hate to say it too, because X was my favorite series, but i guess it's best.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2008, 22:33:32 »

I'd rather have an X4-based X9, really.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2008, 22:46:21 »

An X4-based X9 would be good too, but really what we need is X1's X gameplay and X4's Zero gameplay. I hated how X played in X4 - so #####ing loose, and they put a cap on your fire rate, the bastards.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2008, 22:58:27 »

Well, plotwise the series is outright ruined.  The only possible salvation is retcon or ignore X5-X8.

X9 would have to have the following to even ATTEMPT a comeback:

1) 2D.  3D does not work.  Psudo 3D/2D dose not work.  Leave 3D to the series that were built to run in it (Legends so far).

2) Return to finger numbing platform action gameplay.  Greatly related to point 1, get rid of the awful theme levels and go back to the basics that defined the games, much like MM9 has (though Classic didn't stray NEARLY as much as X had).

3) Sigma has to be involved as the villian.  Sigma is as much a part of the X series as Wily is Classic.  If not as the main force behind the plot, he needs to be have substancial involvement.

4) X or Zero, choose.  The X series has come to be defined by it's two stars.  While extra playables in Classic feel tacked on, X and Zero have the sort of synergy that doesn't come around often.  They're the pefect partners, balances to each other and offer legitament play style differences that gives more play value.  Much like in X4, I think you should get to pick from X or Zero, and play the game through as that character.  X being normal difficulty, with his ranged attacks and Zero hard mode since he's up close melee.  That being said, Axl has no place as he offers nothing X can't do and does nothing but disrupt the dynamic duo's synergy and feeling of teamwork.

5) Lose the unnecessary complexity.  Keep it to hidden heart tanks and sub tanks.  Lose the shop, it does nothing to the gameplay but add grinding.  Hidden stuff is still good, such as enviroment effects depending on stage order (like X1).  I'm not averse to "chips" to modify abilities like in X5 and X6, but not from random rage inducing "save the reploids" crap.  Maybe something more akin to the CDs from Mega Man and Bass or just outright hiding them in stages to find.  Alternate paths would also be fine if kept simple.

Basically, keep most of the early games stuff, and pick and choose the extras from the later games that actually added something.  But given how much more the X series is being pissed on by MMZ/ZX in terms of continuity and having to conform to it, I think the chances of an X revival like Classic (that actually works) is highly unlikely.  Sadly.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2008, 23:03:57 »

Now thats a good X9 right there.

LOL BANDWAGON
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2008, 01:07:03 »

I just realized that Axl is Batgirl.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2008, 01:58:48 »

With none of the appeal.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2008, 02:07:18 »

Less appeal than the Batgirl in the movies. At least she looked good.

Damn good.

Architect
Noob

« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2011, 08:40:58 »

This is an interesting topic. Being an artist, and self titled snobby game critic, I've put a lot of thought into what might happen to the X series if it ever did get a reboot/sequel/prequel/whatever.

TheRedPriest has a lot of good points, and I agree almost all of them. That being said, you might wonder what else I could add.

This is what I think:

As you know, the Megaman X series is essentially a grittier, more badass spin-off of the Classic series, designed to appeal to a slightly, and I say slightly older audience.

Unfortunately, at this point all of the character models that we who grew up with the series have come to love are now outdated and tragically 90's. Not only that, but they all have that classic Anime robot feel to them that will always ALWAYS make them look like toys. Capcom did its best to amp it up for the X series, and at the time it worked perfectly. Some of my favourite character designs of all time are from the X series.

However, the target demographic for a new X title would either be us, the nostalgia seekers, meaning it would be essentially the same thing with maybe a new storyline as the writers desperately backpedal away from the flaming wreckage they have wrought, and some cool new armour.

OR, Capcom might stop and think to themselves, "Hey, hold on. The characters of the X series look sweet, but in 2011, they're cool like an aciton figure I just pulled out of the darkest reaches of my closet. They, along with the story line, need a revamp to match our newfangled post-millenium sensibilities." Knowing Capcom, this will likely NEVER happen. EVER.

For me, though, that idea alone opens up a million and one ways to make a really interesting reboot of the series, learning from the mistakes of the old and such.

Posted on: 26 August 2011, 07:30:11

for example,  just re-creating X1 with a better story arc and more character relationship could fundamentally change the experience. Like, say, when Zero dies. Every time I play that part, even now, it still doesn't mean much. It's always, aw shucks zero died for the first of many times.
Doesn't even matter, you hardly know who he is at that point.

You might think hey, it's just a 2D platformer. It's not supposed to carry any baggage like that...
Well, look at Final Fantasy 7. Grown men still whine about how sad it was when that girl got iced.
And the graphics in that game made it look like like an origami experiment gone horribly wrong, not to mention the fact that turn based RPG's are about as immersive as, oh hey, repeatedly scrolling through a menu and hitting a single button.

I'm just saying, the X series has a very interesting plot concept, and cool characters. With what we know about games today and technology as it is, they could easily make it a relevant series again. Although if they changed it enough for that to be possible they might have to rename it... Making this whole argument fall flat.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2011, 17:15:07 »

Did you ever play Maverick Hunter X on the PSP?
Failed. Reboot.

I like the idea of a NEW take on the series, though.
Of course, to appeal to a modern demographic, X would be a space marine turned cyborg and when killing things they have to explode into a thousand bloody pieces.

The thing is that for any kind of X reboot to be successful, it would have to be on the 3DS, and we all know how the blue bomber on the 3DS went.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Architect
Noob

« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2011, 19:03:43 »

I wasn't talking about the lame 2D/3D gameplay of Maverick hunter, Carlos. Although yeah I did fail to mention that, so kudos. But I was talking about more of a design reboot than anything else. I've done a few concept sketches of a new X, and even a female Zero.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 29 August 2011, 01:16:49 »

I was talking about more of a design reboot than anything else. I've done a few concept sketches of a new X, and even a female Zer—
Show us these things.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #14 on: 29 August 2011, 14:03:39 »

X doesn't need MORE plot, if anything it needs LESS.  The designs look just fine, just like Classic.  Really, this isn't rocket science.  We don't need to reinvent the wheel (gator).

The formula for Mega Man is good.  It doesn't need to be revamped because it WORKS.  If you feel it's stale then you obviously don't enjoy it like you used to and it's time to move on.  However, changing something so much that it becomes something different than what it became popular as defeats the purpose.  If that's what it takes to "save" something it's already dead and should just be dropped.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Architect
Noob

« Reply #15 on: 1 September 2011, 09:23:09 »

If you were to release a "classic" X series sequel then yes, the series at this point has too much plot, and it's fubar, as you all know. Best option would be to make a sequel where sigma comes back, "infects" some new reploids or what have you, and starts a ##### storm in some city forcing the maverick hunters to crack down and kick ass all up and down the street.

But. Honestly? If it were just an X series reboot, that would do well I'm sure. It would probably please those nostalgia seekers I've mentioned. unfortunately it would probably fall through the cracks as just another retro DLC title, and that would suck to see.

Also, the designs are fine, sure, but from that same nostalgic stand-point. Today, though, the X series takes itself too seriously for them not to be ironic. If they were to release a new title, a truly new title under the X banner and have any real hope of it catching on, they wouldn't really work. For example, the Classic series is almost comical in some of the boss and stage designs, not to mention the fact that there's a pink robotic dog. Artwork from that series is so cutesy it's almost chibi. As the X series was Capcom's attempt at a more intense experience, it wouldn't work in this day and age unless, as I've said, it was a retro DLC type thing.

Posted on:  1 September 2011, 08:14:15

The series was released in a day and age where storylines in action games were essentially unheard of. 2D shooters didn't need them, and people weren't used to them. Hell, developers weren't even used to much more story than "these robots are bad, blow them up".

The subject of THIS thread however is what might happen to the X series in the present. Meaning that if it were to be a serious attempt at revival, it would have to be revamped in some way shape or form to appeal to a new generation of gamer. Also, being a fan of the characters and base plot regardless of it's eventual spin out of control, I would really enjoy a fresh take.

I've seen 2D games with story that work, too. Ever play shadow complex? Or any Metroid titles? They've all got a fair bit of story, and it doesn't weigh them down.

Majikn, I'll see what I can do about those concepts. They're mostly hand drawn and my scanner is garbage, but I'l give it a shot. I might even start my own artwork thread in the creation station.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 1 September 2011, 23:23:00 »

His name is not Carlos.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2011, 07:36:04 »

I say we spam Capcom with this kind of content in it:

Well, plotwise the series is outright ruined.  The only possible salvation is retcon or ignore X5-X8.

X9 would have to have the following to even ATTEMPT a comeback:

1) 2D.  3D does not work.  Psudo 3D/2D dose not work.  Leave 3D to the series that were built to run in it (Legends so far).

2) Return to finger numbing platform action gameplay.  Greatly related to point 1, get rid of the awful theme levels and go back to the basics that defined the games, much like MM9 has (though Classic didn't stray NEARLY as much as X had).

3) Sigma has to be involved as the villian.  Sigma is as much a part of the X series as Wily is Classic.  If not as the main force behind the plot, he needs to be have substancial involvement.

4) X or Zero, choose.  The X series has come to be defined by it's two stars.  While extra playables in Classic feel tacked on, X and Zero have the sort of synergy that doesn't come around often.  They're the pefect partners, balances to each other and offer legitament play style differences that gives more play value.  Much like in X4, I think you should get to pick from X or Zero, and play the game through as that character.  X being normal difficulty, with his ranged attacks and Zero hard mode since he's up close melee.  That being said, Axl has no place as he offers nothing X can't do and does nothing but disrupt the dynamic duo's synergy and feeling of teamwork.

5) Lose the unnecessary complexity.  Keep it to hidden heart tanks and sub tanks.  Lose the shop, it does nothing to the gameplay but add grinding.  Hidden stuff is still good, such as enviroment effects depending on stage order (like X1).  I'm not averse to "chips" to modify abilities like in X5 and X6, but not from random rage inducing "save the reploids" crap.  Maybe something more akin to the CDs from Mega Man and Bass or just outright hiding them in stages to find.  Alternate paths would also be fine if kept simple.

Basically, keep most of the early games stuff, and pick and choose the extras from the later games that actually added something.  But given how much more the X series is being pissed on by MMZ/ZX in terms of continuity and having to conform to it, I think the chances of an X revival like Classic (that actually works) is highly unlikely.  Sadly.

Tho Capcom might not give a rat's butt cheeks even tho they claim they "listen in" to "fans". 

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  X Series  |  : So whats going to happen to the X Series?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string