MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
20 April 2024, 14:08:15
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Legends Series  |  : Would YOU pay 15 MILLION for a Legends 3?
Pages: 1 2 3 » Print
Author Topic: Would YOU pay 15 MILLION for a Legends 3?  (Read 59558 times)
SB
Sniper Joe

« on: 4 December 2007, 09:12:41 »

Inafune seems to think so.

From the way he talked in that interview, it still makes me think that not all is well in the Rockman Land of Cash Cows and Funny Money. Then again, it sorta sounds like Inafune's team had a hard time dealing with the new demands on creating the next gen engines that he utilized for Lost Planet and Dead Rising.

I dunno. DR and LP were supposed to be two of the best 360 games out there, yet the Megaman series keeps taking constant hits here and there, so the price doesn't seem validated to me.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
Aych
Metall

« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2007, 10:08:30 »

As far as I'm concerned, LP and DR are two of the best 360 games out there (Dead Rising more so). Besides that, Inafune's estimate of $15 million seems reasonable enough in that it should cover the bare bones actual game budget. It might even be too little, I mean...for up to par visuals, sound design, the dubbing process, and generally being well polished and an enjoyable game like its predecessors, it doesn't seem like much. I know I'd want the game to be everything it could be.

On the other hand though, it seems rather audacious for Inafune or Capcom to ask for a $15 million handout. Why the hell should the fans cover the entire cost? I couldn't imagine it selling that badly, not even when in a worst case scenario, just doesn't seem realistic. At most, they should only be asking for half that...it's rather greedy, they should be able to recoup the rest. Of course, it'd be best if Capcom just had faith and did it all themselves, but if it ever comes down to giving the handout...well, seems the most reasonable to me.

: SB
I dunno. DR and LP were supposed to be two of the best 360 games out there, yet the Megaman series keeps taking constant hits here and there, so the price doesn't seem validated to me

Keep in mind that the Legends franchise has more of a specific and closer knit development team when compared to other Mega Man games. I don't think one need worry too much about how the other series are "taking hits", which I'm not sure I agree with, but anyway, I believe it'd be safe to expect quality for the hefty price tag.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2007, 18:06:21 by Aych » Logged
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #2 on: 4 December 2007, 10:29:29 »

I guess the "Taking hits" part is more of the localization bit to me, though I know that sales on the series has been slipping pretty badly, depending on the titles. Then again, some of the decisions Capcom has made with them lately, like the IHX and RMRM on the PSP when it wasn't quite broken in idea, doesn't help either side of the situation as far as profitability of the name goes.

You'd think, though, that after the MASSIVE success that DR and LP were, that Capcom would gladly let Inafune do a Legends 3, not only due to the fact that he himself states that his team wants to do one, but also because the fans likely demand that one title even more than a Megaman 9, which would likely state they'd make profit off it. Heck, they could even get away with slapping "From the creator of Dead Rising and Lost Planet!" on the box of Legends 3 now, and people that normally wouldn't look at the game would give it a second look over. Fans all over the world keep begging for a Legends 3, and Inafune made two of the most succesful games in the recent year or so that likely gave the Capcom Executives loads of money, yet it doesn't make sense that he's resorting to asking the fans or just anyone in general, likely in a joking manner, for the costs to get the game created. Maybe it's something that's deeper within the company as to why it hasn't been made yet?

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
Aych
Metall

« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2007, 11:22:19 »

You're thinking that Capcom's reluctance to fulfill the wish of Inafune, myself, and many, many others goes beyond financial issues then? Perhaps staff is on short hand? Maybe someone has a personal vendetta against Inafune?

Or maybe Tsujimoto just likes Sonic more.

All that aside, I can see why Capcom is, as far as what's been officially announced (I say in hope....) refusing to move ahead on Legends 3. Despite the success of Dead Rising and Lost Planet, Capcom still has no reason to put so much faith into a Legends sequel. While I'm sure Capcom recognizes that Inafune's recent projects have brought them great success and profit, I'm not sure they'd think anything of that if you mentioned it in support of Legends. Think about it. Most people who bought Dead Rising and/or Lost Planet probably don't know who Keiji Inafune is, and to be frank, likely don't care. There's no line to really be drawn from DR/LP to Mega Man besides the few sprinkled easter eggs as far as the bulk of consumers are concerned. Even slapping a "From the maker of...." label on it, like you said, doesn't sound like it'd work. I know whenever I see one of those, I don't think much of it. It comes off as corny and desperate to me, as I believe it does to others. Hell, the cited work on the label usually doesn't even interest me. Not only that, but how many people who wouldn't bother trying it in the first place be persuaded to even look it over and notice the label? People are quick to glance from one place to another. All one might need to read is "Mega Man", leading them to think "man dats some gay-ass game" and ultimately they never look back once, whether or not the label was there. I think maybe it'd have SOME impact, but nothing truly significant.

Something else that comes into play is who and what Capcom has its attention and resources devoted to at the moment. AMERICA. Capcom is building nearly all their big-budget, next-gen games around the wants and interests of the American consumer, first and foremost, even before Japan. You've got Bionic Commando and Dark Void, which aren't even being developed by Capcom, but rather, being outsourced to American developers and Capcom really acting only as a publisher. Then you have Devil May Cry, a franchise that falls much more in line with an American gamer, and the unfortunate direction Capcom's been taking Resident Evil in, which definitely feels, again, more American. Even Street Fighter is more inclined to the USA than Japan.

When it comes down to it, Mega Man is Japanese. He's very Japanese. And that's why he has many a great game under his belt. Obviously, it's nothing to do with literally being either Japanese or American, but the common traits and interests associated with people of that race. The Japanese simply are better video game developers overall. However, to the casual gamer, Mega Man has a stigma of Japanese style to it, which in actuality, of course has nothing to do with the Japanese origin, but that the game is more rooted in fantasy. LP and DR are both good games, and nothing is wrong with going the realistic approach, but it's blatantly obvious it wasn't done just for the sake of the game, but for the sake of its profits. The developers were still Japanese and you can feel it in the game, but it's dressed up in a grittier and more realistic skin solely to garner the interest of idiotic casual gamers. They can't do that to Mega Man, unless Capcom delights in sucking ass. Hence all this, that is why they hesitate.

P.S. Long post is LONG.
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #4 on: 4 December 2007, 11:43:27 »

Hmmm... Very thought provoking.

So basically, Capcom's afraid to spend money on a Legends 3, since it doesn't cater to the majority of buyers today, and instead focus on new IP such as Dead Rising or Lost Planet that can be tailored to the desires of the market today, if I'm following you right. When it's stated like that, and just a simple comparison of what Legends is compared to what's actually turning profit on the market today, it all comes together quite well as far as an actual explanation with logic, as opposed to the usual thoughts of "Oh, he's just toying with the fans to get us to buy more games like ZX, in hopes that someday he'll tie into the Legends game with an epic story that encompesses all of the series.", and the like.

Though now I wonder... If there was a viable way to show Inafune that someone was willing to "Sponsor" the developement of Legends 3, would he still back down, or would Capcom gladly welcome it?

Aych
Metall

« Reply #5 on: 4 December 2007, 12:08:07 »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I intended to explore some of the details and particulars behind the situation with my previous post, but the summation is indeed that Capcom would rather financially back all of their current projects than Legends.

Personally, I do believe Inafune when he says Capcom is giving him a hard time and obstructing his path with Legends 3, rather than him luring us into some sort of trap. His words and attitude seem genuine, and he appears as passionate as the fans about this issue. As for if somehow, some way, Capcom actually succeeded in acquiring financial sponsorship for the production of Legends 3, I see no reason why they wouldn't do it. As long as the amount given is sufficient, it becomes a matter in which Capcom has nothing to lose. I said before, $15 million is too much, considering it to be the entire cost of development. Mega Man isn't so bad off that they wouldn't break even if the donation was half that or maybe even less. No exploration into reasoning there, if Capcom otherwise refused, it would just further serve to cement their greedy disposition.
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #6 on: 4 December 2007, 12:27:13 »

I guess it's time to start a financial drive for Legends 3 for a change, instead of the usual petitions and flooding of mail. I'm certain there's some kind of method to have it so the fans could dump their money into some kind of account that would go directly to Inafune or something when it hits 15 million.

I know that old DS Wireless project had something like that, where people could contribute money to a source, and it was untouched until somebody could crack the coding methods to allow for network play, in which all the money in the account would go to whoever discovered it.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 4 December 2007, 15:21:44 »

$15m is kind of a joke, kids. Development costs for those games are definitely high, but that was just an example cost Inafune threw out there to say "It's a god-awul amount of money, and this is about how much...".

Could be more, could be less. All of it doesn't need to be given before the game is made, either; these things work like: "Make the game", "Sell the game", "Recoup development costs from purchases". Capcom is worried about the liability of spending so much money on something they just don't think will sell very well in this day and age, and Inafune also won't settle for anything less than an expensive Legends 3 (or sequels for his other games, for that matter).

You can argue all you want about these things, but it doesn't change the fact that Capcom doesn't think it's feasible to start work on such a project.

SB just mentioned a very nice idea, though. If enough people throw money (doesn't have to be much) at Capcom (or Inafune?) for the Legends 3 project, it might just come to be. It would cover some initial development costs and perhaps make it a little less risky to sell.

Trying to hit $15m is too lofty a goal, and would likely take more time than we have on the current generation. There should be a point where it becomes enough to start, though.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #8 on: 4 December 2007, 17:45:16 »

I want Mega Man 9 a HELL of a lot more than Legends 3, but I pray they never make it.  Why?

All I want is 8 robot masters, some solid arcade platforming stages with distinct flavor (flavor =/= forced stage gameplay themes) and a good simple "Wily attacks again" to tie it all together.  But we won't get that.  Every stage will be some poorly designed "theme" (speeder bike, fixed scroll ceiling crush, giant robot chase you, etc, etc) which kills the fast paced platforming and some horrendous "ZOMG WILY MAKES ZERO SOMEDAY MEGAMAN WILL BE AN ELF" bad fan fiction plot to tie it into the other abortions Capcom has made post MMZ/ZX.

And so too will the case be with Legends 3.  The first two games are solid gold.  But they're dead.  let them rest in peace.  Legends 3 will be just as bad as ZX, Starforce and MMZ.  Inafune and Capcom have lost the magic and are too bogged down in a putrid continuity to ever make the game Legends 3 deserves to be.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 4 December 2007, 18:25:54 »

You're very deserving of the Priest moniker, as there are few who preach so much truth.

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 4 December 2007, 23:10:50 »

Did that one guy call the ZX series "ZEX?" Hahaha, awesome.

Anyway, seems to me like Inafune just doesn't have any faith in MegaMan anymore. The man's on crack.

Imagine a new MegaMan game on the scale of Mario Galaxy... I'm sure you'd all be against a 3D MegaMan, but I truly think it's about time we at least gave it a try.

Machine Man
Metall

« Reply #11 on: 4 December 2007, 23:22:31 »

If only Inafune could get some help from Bill Gates.

My enormous, horribly ugly sig has been removed!
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #12 on: 4 December 2007, 23:24:37 »

As so long as it's done right.
TriggerUNIT
Noob

« Reply #13 on: 4 December 2007, 23:32:05 »

Anyway, seems to me like Inafuna just doesn't have any faith in MegaMan anymore. The man's on crack.

haha I completely agree with that.

Imagine a new MegaMan game on the scale of Mario Galaxy... I'm sure you'd all be against a 3D MegaMan, but I truly think it's about time we at least gave it a try.

But that... I don't know. I am not against a 3D Megaman game at all, I don't know about everyone else, though. But... look at this mess they made of everything else.

Which is why I actually agree with Priest this time. It probably wouldn't be made in the first place, or at least not any time soon. I see this blowing over and being just another one of those mysterious and ominous fallacies of gaming. We've seen it happen hundreds of times before, I see it happening right now. Regardless, Priest has such a good point, and I'd rather not pay for production costs if the game turns out to definitively suck arse.

Don't get me wrong, I want a Legends game, but with Capcom's latest "Megaman Hit/Miss Ratio" I'd rather not see, let alone pay for and then purchase, another flop. I have said it is too good of an idea to waste, but if this possible sequal will kill it, let it rest six feet under. Besides, I don't think it will ever happen, even if donations are made, we will never get a legends game but a sick and twisted mockery of what once was great that will make me want to projectile vomit.  And like ASR said, look at the obvious signs, neither Inafuna nor Capcom even have faith in their own project. Wouldn't that be a sign to at least stop and think things through rather than saying "Screw it!" and produce it anyway. Capcom needs to let Megaman go for a while, and I mean ALL the Megamen, and reflect on what made the old games so appealing instead of jamming every little idea that pops into their heads into a cartrage, chip, or disc in rapid succession and slapping Megaman's name on it!

Any way *joins Priest in prayer* Amen.

See clearly through the eyes of insanity.
http://sologun15.freeforums.org/index.php
Machine Man
Metall

« Reply #14 on: 4 December 2007, 23:34:36 »

I think some of the text was wrong. It sounded like he said: "RockMan 9" during the fourth part of the interview.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 5 December 2007, 00:03:28 »

I think that if they put enough time and heart into it,  I would put my trust in Capcom to make one epic hardcore Classic MegaMan adventure for all three major consoles. It understand the implications, and the risks, but MegaMan  games have let me down enough recently that I don't see a problem with one last giant risk to put it all on the table.

Aresian
Sniper Joe

« Reply #16 on: 5 December 2007, 00:05:59 »

I want Mega Man 9 a HELL of a lot more than Legends 3, but I pray they never make it.  Why?

All I want is 8 robot masters, some solid arcade platforming stages with distinct flavor (flavor =/= forced stage gameplay themes) and a good simple "Wily attacks again" to tie it all together.  But we won't get that.  Every stage will be some poorly designed "theme" (speeder bike, fixed scroll ceiling crush, giant robot chase you, etc, etc) which kills the fast paced platforming and some horrendous "ZOMG WILY MAKES ZERO SOMEDAY MEGAMAN WILL BE AN ELF" bad fan fiction plot to tie it into the other abortions Capcom has made post MMZ/ZX.

And so too will the case be with Legends 3.  The first two games are solid gold.  But they're dead.  let them rest in peace.  Legends 3 will be just as bad as ZX, Starforce and MMZ.  Inafune and Capcom have lost the magic and are too bogged down in a putrid continuity to ever make the game Legends 3 deserves to be.

By saying that, they might aswell never make a new classic, X or Legends game. Right?

*sigh* Regardless of the matter, Classic is done for, X is soon to follow. The release of the Complete Source Books is pretty much the signal of a series end, so whether we wanted it or not, Classic is done... and like Rez, it's probably for the best, albeit not for all the same reasons.

ZX is honestly all we have going for us, since X will have their Complete Source Book released soon enough, I can practically feel it. Star Force is a moot point, but atleast ZX stands a decent chance, if we throw our anger and disappointment towards what Megaman has become.

Just my two cents. Take 'em or leave 'em.

I AM DJSonic!
Aych
Metall

« Reply #17 on: 5 December 2007, 01:23:00 »

I'm not going to fear and shun Legends 3 just because there's a possibility it won't live up to expectations. How could you even entertain the thought so seriously? You can't rationalize that it'd most likely come up short just because you don't like ZX or MMZ. I happen to like both of those series, but that's entirely besides the point. The only reason Inafune is even "bogged down" is because Capcom is the one holding his arms behind his back on the idea. If anything, Legends 3 might be exactly what Inafune needs to break free from said putrid continuity. The man's stated on multiple occasions how he wishes to make the game more than anything, it'd be a much needed breath of fresh air to him. Legends is a different game from MMZ, ZX or Star Force, regardless of how you feel about them. Why be so pessimistic?
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #18 on: 5 December 2007, 02:06:16 »

By saying that, they might as well never make a new classic, X or Legends game. Right?

DAMN right.  I'd rather have no new games than the complete garbage they've been crapping out.  It's like getting to see Grandpa one more time but he's a rotting corpse bleeding poison.

ZX is honestly all we have going for us, since X will have their Complete Source Book released soon enough, I can practically feel it. Star Force is a moot point, but at least ZX stands a decent chance, if we throw our anger and disappointment towards what Megaman has become.

ZX has NO chance.  It's flawed from the foundation up.  No part of it is salvageable nor was it ever.

I'll also point out that the release of source books does not mean THE END.  There are a lot of source books for ongoing projects.  What happens when it gets farther?  A new/updated source book is released.  Your logic is completely flawed on that.

I'm not going to fear and shun Legends 3 just because there's a possibility it won't live up to expectations.

Have fun sitting in the corner by yourself.

How could you even entertain the thought so seriously?
Oh... I dunno.  Could it be the fact the whole of MMZ was garbage?  Battle Network went from being solid to indistinguishable from maggot infested roadkill?  Star Force is worse than the last 3 BN games?  That ZX is a watered down MMZ which is even WORSE than MMZ was.  That the X series was flushed down the toilet to pander to a sequel series that brings shame to the material it supposedly builds off of?  You're right, I have NO reason to think Legends 3 will suck.

You can't rationalize that it'd most likely come up short just because you don't like ZX or MMZ.
Oh, I can rationalize it just fine even if I DID like ZX and MMZ.  Which I don't.

I happen to like both of those series, but that's entirely besides the point.
Thank you for helping to guarantee we get bad Mega Man games.

The only reason Inafune is even "bogged down" is because Capcom is the one holding his arms behind his back on the idea.
Yes, the drop in quality, poor concepts and all the problems are ALL Capcom's fault.  If only Inafune had complete control to do whatever he wanted then I'd be all roses and Mega Man 2.  Sorry, but that's pure bull#####.  Inafune is not blameless.  He and Capcom are in it together.

If anything, Legends 3 might be exactly what Inafune needs to break free from said putrid continuity.
HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Oh ho ho... that RICH.  Inafune has done nothing but HELP add to the continuity cluster #####.  It will go the route MMZ and ZX have in tying everything into one big retconned toilet of a tale.  Legends will be retconned into oblivion just like X was.

The man's stated on multiple occasions how he wishes to make the game more than anything, it'd be a much needed breath of fresh air to him.
Yes, and seeing his work and what he's contributed to lately, I see no reason to think it would be anything but as bad as we know it will be.

Legends is a different game from MMZ, ZX or Star Force, regardless of how you feel about them.
And?  It's no different that it's now been forced into a completely broken and decaying timeline that reeks of bad fanfiction.  It's charm, style and identity will be subverted to fit into this wretched festering pile of garbage that is now "Mega Man".  So it really doesn't matter how "different" it is.

Why be so pessimistic?

: TheRedPriest
Oh... I dunno.  Could it be the fact the whole of MMZ was garbage?  Battle Network went from being solid to indistinguishable from maggot infested roadkill?  Star Force is worse than the last 3 BN games?  That ZX is a watered down MMZ which is even WORSE than MMZ was.  That the X series was flushed down the toilet to pander to a sequel series that brings shame to the material it supposedly builds off of?  You're right, I have NO reason to think Legends 3 will suck.

Oh, I don't know, 3 or 4 years of complete ##### out of Capcom?

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 5 December 2007, 02:43:44 »

Quick note: I've played some of Lost Planet (on the PC, because real men have good computers and don't need poor people substitutes), and I have to say it wasn't bad.
It wasn't good, either. It has some nice stuff going for it, but to be perfectly honest it was a bit boring.

I've seen Dead Rising played. From the looks of it, that would be a HORRIBLE system to use for Mega Man Legends 3. Not kidding here.
Lost Planet is only slightly better, because hey, those big robots feel like you're controlling that robot in MoTB.

Oh, but it moves fifty times slower.
That's about as close as it gets, and the regular person mode isn't much like DASH at all.

Also the game just gets bad as soon as you get to the first boss.

So, no.
I don't think that's a good way to handle it, but they've hinted that were we EVER to get Legends 3, they'd just slap Megaman into that framework.

$15 million of game development costs, kids!
LOOK AT THAT.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 5 December 2007, 02:47:03 »

I'm sure if they did that they'd edit it somewhat to have the MegaMan feel.

...wait, this is Capcom...
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #21 on: 5 December 2007, 02:48:21 »

Or Mega Man Network.

Aych
Metall

« Reply #22 on: 5 December 2007, 03:05:45 »

Have fun sitting in the corner by yourself.

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong room? Most people desire a Legends sequel, and will not allow the fear you have to control them.

You're awfully cynical, aren't you now? I found MMZ to have a rough start, but rather enjoyed the last two installments. What you say of Battle Network, I can attest to somewhat, as I do find the original three installments better than any of its sequels, but I haven't played BN6. As for Star Force, I haven't touched it yet, so I'll see what credence your word holds eventually, I suppose. Maybe one day you can tell me the details of why you're so derisive when it comes to Zero and ZX, because I'm truly curious what breeds such a strong hatred in you for those franchises. I suspect it to be the series storyline, which I'm not crazy about either, but that's for another time, as this is about Legends.

Yes, the drop in quality, poor concepts and all the problems are ALL Capcom's fault.  If only Inafune had complete control to do whatever he wanted then I'd be all roses and Mega Man 2.  Sorry, but that's pure bull#####.  Inafune is not blameless.  He and Capcom are in it together.

HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Oh ho ho... that RICH.  Inafune has done nothing but HELP add to the continuity cluster #####.  It will go the route MMZ and ZX have in tying everything into one big retconned toilet of a tale.  Legends will be retconned into oblivion just like X was.

And?  It's no different that it's now been forced into a completely broken and decaying timeline that reeks of bad fanfiction.  It's charm, style and identity will be subverted to fit into this wretched festering pile of garbage that is now "Mega Man".  So it really doesn't matter how "different" it is.

That's the thing...Inafune isn't literally blameless in the entirety of all his actions. He's made mistakes, but he served very little part in bringing about what you rant of. The two primarily responsible are Capcom and Inti-Creates. Inti-Creates is the key difference I spoke of, that separates Legends from the likes of ZX and Zero. As much as I disagree with you on the quality of their work, when it comes down to it, they are the ones who developed the games you hate so much. Not Capcom. Inafune may have resided over them as Producer, but the rest of the staff is mostly different from past Mega Man games. Remember, Inafune already turned down Inti-Creates on their proposition to produce a Legends sequel, because he DOES care. He'd want nothing more than it to be crafted by his original team, the ones who made the game so great. Bottom line, Legends 3 would not be developed by Inti-Creates, but instead by Studio 02. You cannot apply any alleged failures of ZX or Zero due to this.

Your criticism of Inafune is even further unsubstantiated when you blame him for MMZ, and by turn, ZX. That is once more Capcom's fault. They gave the go-ahead on X6, which brought Zero back to life. Inafune has said in interviews that because of this, he had been forced to retool the Zero storyline heavily. Despite his attempts to accommodate Capcom's mistakes with a modified plot, Capcom took a big leap with X8 into a different direction, and then left it hanging there. Inafune is not at fault for the "maggot infested" story. Capcom is, piling on more justification that some faith should be held in Inafune to execute Legends 3 properly.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #23 on: 5 December 2007, 03:23:09 »

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong room? Most people desire a Legends sequel, and will not allow the fear you have to control them.

You seem to be mistaken I'm afraid of something.  I have no fear of Legends 3 being bad because it's a fact it WILL be.  I just don't want or need to see the train wreck it will be.  Doesn't mean I don't WANT there to be one, I just know if it does the game will be so bad it would have been better of not being made.

As for Inafune, at this point regardless of how at fault he is or isn't, it's clear he won't be GIVEN the chance to prove he can still make a decent game.  And even if he is, he'll be bound by the canon and what has been crafted by inti anyway.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 5 December 2007, 03:33:50 »

Inafune is the series director.
He makes the final decisions on what will go and what doesn't go. He may not always be in there programming and writing and designing things, but he's the guy every comes up to for the OK to build or make something. Then he gets to OK it again. This is excepting the projects he was not involved with at all (to be honest I'm not sure which, if any, there were).

This is as much his fault as it is Inti-Creates.
It's not a "OK, you guys go do this and we'll take whatever you make" system.
It's a "You guys do this and we'll tell you what you did wrong so you can get back to fixing it, and then we'll take it" system.

Inafune is more at fault than you think.
Aych
Metall

« Reply #25 on: 5 December 2007, 03:55:55 »

You seem to be mistaken I'm afraid of something.  I have no fear of Legends 3 being bad because it's a fact it WILL be.  I just don't want or need to see the train wreck it will be.  Doesn't mean I don't WANT there to be one, I just know if it does the game will be so bad it would have been better of not being made.

As for Inafune, at this point regardless of how at fault he is or isn't, it's clear he won't be GIVEN the chance to prove he can still make a decent game.  And even if he is, he'll be bound by the canon and what has been crafted by inti anyway.

Well, I know that if Legends 3 were to be left up to Inti or another Production Studio entirely, I'd be just as skeptical and doubt-riddled about it. It's just that I'm hoping for a properly done Legends 3, not by Inti or anyone else. Inafune has said in the interviews he's doing what he can, trying to convince Capcom and waiting for the time they allow him more leniency. Coming to that penultimate point, there's nothing more you and I can say of it. It's between Inafune and Capcom.

Insert Quote
Inafune is the series director.
He makes the final decisions on what will go and what doesn't go. He may not always be in there programming and writing and designing things, but he's the guy every comes up to for the OK to build or make something. Then he gets to OK it again. This is excepting the projects he was not involved with at all (to be honest I'm not sure which, if any, there were).

This is as much his fault as it is Inti-Creates.
It's not a "OK, you guys go do this and we'll take whatever you make" system.
It's a "You guys do this and we'll tell you what you did wrong so you can get back to fixing it, and then we'll take it" system.

Inafune is more at fault than you think.

On the contrary, Inafune is not in the position of all-mighty power you put him in. Despite his involvement and ties with the Rockman series, he's always pressured every step of the way by the higher-ups at Capcom. Look at what happened to Mikami. The man swore he'd decapitate himself if RE4 broke Gamecube exclusivity, and what happened? RE4 was ported to PS2, then PC. Inafune is only a part of Inti and Capcom producers who okay what content is put into the game, and with only that, given he isn't as involved as he's been in past games or having his original studio staff, he's also forced to approve things that perhaps he'd rather change. Capcom just wants to finish the game and get it pushed out to retail. The less familiar staff is producing things he won't put all of his heart into, but he'll approve what he's authorized to approve because Capcom doesn't want to waste time on fixing it first. They'll take it as they get it.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 5 December 2007, 04:01:30 »

I'd make the point that Inafune still has to make decisions on the final product anyway, but...

I'm going to let you live in your dream world, kid.
I'd rather not have to read another one of your walls of text, to be honest.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 5 December 2007, 04:06:49 »

Don't listen to him. Keep posting.

I find your logic interesting.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 5 December 2007, 04:07:20 »

Let's assume that Inafune didn't assume his role and simply DID just hand Inti the project, and take what they finished without OK'ing it.

It's still his fault, so nobody's arguing with you.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 5 December 2007, 04:10:59 »

Don't listen to him. Keep posting.

I find your logic interesting.

I never said he couldn't keep going. No ability to stop the guy, especially not when he's on such a roll.
I'm just tired.

I understand his basic point, really I do.
But all of this finger pointing about who gets the blame is useless in the long run.

The problem is that the games are certainly not what they used to be, even without nostalgia glasses. Any attempt to make a Legends 3 now would have a decent chance of being disappointing.

But don't take me wrong there. I've always had hope for it.
I'd definitely buy it.

I want Mega Man off the freaking moon.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 5 December 2007, 04:17:39 »

Why? He's safe there.

Besides, all that making Legends 3 would accomplish is proving my age old theory:

Breath of Fire III is the prequel to Megaman Legends.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 5 December 2007, 04:18:17 »

Actually, I quite enjoyed Aych's bit out Inafune. I think he's on the right track.

Aych
Metall

« Reply #32 on: 5 December 2007, 04:25:10 »

I'd make the point that Inafune still has to make decisions on the final product anyway, but...

I'm going to let you live in your dream world, kid.
I'd rather not have to read another one of your walls of text, to be honest.

Well, that was rather rude of you. There's nothing more to say about the issue. Any decision Inafune might wish to make to change the final product to mold it into a game more akin to something someone like Rez would enjoy would surely be too late in the development process. With not long before going gold, Inafune can't do much at all, I'm afraid.

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't act so arrogant and dismiss my entirely valid discussion as a dream, whether or not it takes a wall of text to get it across. It'd also be good on you if you stopped referring to people as "kids". It makes you appear both pretentious and desperate for respect. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but let's not leave room for confusion, right?

The problem is that the games are certainly not what they used to be, even without nostalgia glasses. Any attempt to make a Legends 3 now would have a decent chance of being disappointing.

I think maybe I've been misunderstood. ALL I'm saying is that we should not be so quick to damn a potential Legends 3 were it made by Inafune and his choice of development staff. Like others here, I have my doubts on what Capcom could ultimately decide to do with it.

Insert Quote
Let's assume that Inafune didn't assume his role and simply DID just hand Inti the project, and take what they finished without OK'ing it.

It's still his fault, so nobody's arguing with you.

It's his fault that he works for Capcom, which has a bull-headed, voracious board of executives. Yes, it's his fault.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #33 on: 5 December 2007, 04:32:41 »

You can't honestly believe he's a saint, though.
The man has wronged before. X5.
I rest.

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't act so arrogant and dismiss my entirely valid discussion as a dream, whether or not it takes a wall of text to get it across. It'd also be good on you if you stopped referring to people as "kids". It makes you appear both pretentious and desperate for respect. I'm sure that's not what you intended, but let's not leave room for confusion, right?
"Desperate for respect"? No way. There's no way to gain respect by calling someone a kid.
Your posts have more attention and respect to grammar than most of the forum. You have clearly worded, logical arguments. You spend a little too much time expounding one fact, but they're solid for the most part. You clearly aren't a child.

I, like many people, do not always mean what I say. Please try to take jokes with a grain of salt next time.
Kid.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 5 December 2007, 04:40:19 »

Actually, when people call others "kid", it gives off the impression that they are older than the person being referred to as "kid."

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 5 December 2007, 04:43:21 »

It's just part of my language, anyway.
Aych's age isn't displayed so there's no way to tell, but it doesn't really matter in the long run. It's his business.
Aych
Metall

« Reply #36 on: 5 December 2007, 05:07:55 »

You can't honestly believe he's a saint, though.
The man has wronged before. X5.
I rest.

Nah, of course he isn't.  Like I said, he's made mistakes.  For what it's worth though, I thought he got a Special Thanks credit for X5. I don't believe he was directly involved in the development, but he certainly was coaxing them on from the sidelines.

"Desperate for respect"? No way. There's no way to gain respect by calling someone a kid.
Your posts have more attention and respect to grammar than most of the forum. You have clearly worded, logical arguments. You spend a little too much time expounding one fact, but they're solid for the most part. You clearly aren't a child.

Well then, I appreciate the clarification. You'll have to excuse the lengthiness of my posts, I'm rather passionate about Legends and felt the need to dissect Capcom's thinking process while I talked with SB.

Actually, when people call others "kid", it gives off the impression that they are older than the person being referred to as "kid."

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Hmm, let's see...apparently, Chron is three years older than myself. So yes, that'd be correct. However, I think given the context used, I could only logically interpret it as a dismissive insult, not to mention he obviously hadn't known my age. I don't believe I've ever spoken with Chron before though, so now that he's defined some of his mannerisms to me, it's all good. We can put all that kid stuff behind us, right Chron?

I, like many people, do not always mean what I say. Please try to take jokes with a grain of salt next time.
Kid.

I SWEAR, YOU #####ING SON OF A BITCH
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #37 on: 5 December 2007, 05:23:06 »

This thread would have been locked and half of us banned if this was on MMN.  That's why I <3 MMM.  It's real.  No kiddie gloves.

Huzahs to everyone in the thread.

:: goes back to sorting Mega Man H ::

Aresian
Sniper Joe

« Reply #38 on: 5 December 2007, 07:21:27 »

Hey, Rez.

You missed the point of the word "Complete" Source Book.

That means it's completed. Finished. Done. Fin. Not to be continued. >_>

No seriously I don't care much about opinions, so I'll just let the rest of what you said slide, however the fact that you dismiss nigh fact so simply is... disheartening. Think about it for a second. Zero series is finished right? What was released? A Complete Source Book, imagine that. Now, lets take into the account of what Complete means one more time shall we? Completion is something that is full, finished, accomplished to it's fullest extent, no?

I rest my case.

Oh and before you reinstall your point, throw everyone else's "so-called" Source Books out. This is Capcom we are dealing with, not whoever else you have in mind. I'm pretty sure they are ready to gimp us by giving us Complete Source Books to satisfy, so they don't have to make a end-game for every series.

Observation: It IS great to be back at MMM, discussion for the win and all that.

I AM DJSonic!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #39 on: 5 December 2007, 14:07:35 »

No, I didn't miss the "complete" in the title.  I see your logic, but that's not a chain and lock on never making a new game.  They release a "complete" X book?  Great.  X9 can still happen.  I couldn't give a flying ##### if MMZ continues, but frankly, it could too if Capcom wanted to do a 5th one.

A stupid little book is not a law baring Capcom from making a new Mega Man game, and to think so is utterly absurd.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #40 on: 5 December 2007, 15:04:55 »

Very good point.

We can put all that kid stuff behind us, right Chron?

Easily. You make a good argument, Aych, and thus it was enjoyable.
It's good to have someone else here who's passionate about Legends.
Although I admit I don't seem like it since I've been so war-torn over the years with the forums I've been to.

Anyway, in attempt to do something impossible:
I would pay $15mil for Legends 3 if I were like a bazillionaire.

I still think it's an overstatement, but if it isn't, I'm going to have lots of fun working in the field where you can't do anything new because it's too expensive.
Aresian
Sniper Joe

« Reply #41 on: 5 December 2007, 17:18:53 »

No, I didn't miss the "complete" in the title.  I see your logic, but that's not a chain and lock on never making a new game.  They release a "complete" X book?  Great.  X9 can still happen.  I couldn't give a flying ##### if MMZ continues, but frankly, it could too if Capcom wanted to do a 5th one.

A stupid little book is not a law baring Capcom from making a new Mega Man game, and to think so is utterly absurd.

Hm. Well, fair enough. We'll know either way eventually, right? I think it does serve a point, these "complete" books, but just the same you might also be right. I don't like to believe in absolutes anyway. *shrugs*

I AM DJSonic!
dzx9
Sniper Joe

« Reply #42 on: 5 December 2007, 20:34:20 »

I want MML3 so bad. I'm quite happy to see that it IS being thought and talked about.

I'm actually starting L1 and 2 over again. It's been so long...

I am.
Machine Man
Metall

« Reply #43 on: 5 December 2007, 20:42:27 »

I would LOVE to read all of the hoo-haw in this topic, but that would take hours.

I would like to see a 3D ZX game, but I'm sure no one else would want that. And Capcom would probably ##### it up. 

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #44 on: 5 December 2007, 20:44:15 »

Wow, way to COMPLETELY miss the point there, buddy.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #45 on: 5 December 2007, 20:47:05 »

lolz SB

I would like to see a 3D ZX game, but I'm sure no one else would want that. And Capcom would probably ##### it up. 
The best Capcom can do with the ZX series is make another game that clears everything up. I hope Inafune goes along with the idea of making another MM game, unlike the other steaming piles everyone hates.

It should be that weird MM game with 1,000 title everyone thought up back in the day.

MegaMan X Zero Wily wars battle and chase battles etc..

LOL BANDWAGON
Machine Man
Metall

« Reply #46 on: 5 December 2007, 20:48:19 »

Wow, way to COMPLETELY miss the point there, buddy.

I thought everyone was now talking about what woul- never mind. I'm sorry for my previos post.

I'll read everything on this topic......later.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #47 on: 5 December 2007, 20:54:12 »

You don't have to read all the text to enjoy the conversation, just say "lolz" like I do. :B

*draws target on forehead*

LOL BANDWAGON
Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #48 on: 5 December 2007, 20:56:10 »

Lolz!
*Stands next to WIND for people with really bad aim*
Machine Man
Metall

« Reply #49 on: 5 December 2007, 20:59:29 »

Fine. lolz

*Doesn't draw a target on forehead*

Pages: 1 2 3 » Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Legends Series  |  : Would YOU pay 15 MILLION for a Legends 3?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string