MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
25 April 2024, 17:39:55
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Comic Book talk (I.E. Marvel, DC, Image and the rest) Spoilers ahead
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 » Print
Author Topic: Comic Book talk (I.E. Marvel, DC, Image and the rest) Spoilers ahead  (Read 69776 times)
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #150 on: 3 February 2011, 00:01:51 »

Thanks to my girlfriend, I've been reading a lot of graphic novels as of late. For Christmas I got/bought:

-CBGB: OMFUG
-Kevin Smith's Green Hornet Vol.1
-Scott Pilgrim Vol. 2
-Serenity: The Shepherd's tale
-Tron: Betrayal

And these are the graphic novels/manga I bought last week/this week:

-Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Vol. 1
-G.I. Joe vs. Transformers III: The Art of War
-Ghost Rider: Vicious Cycle (Vol. 1)
-Ghost Rider: The Life and Death of Johnny Blaze (Vol. 2)
-Hellblazer: The Family Man
-Hellblazer: Chas - The Knowledge
-Midnight Mover
-Pathfinder
-Siege (some Marvel series - the comic book store that my girlfriend and I go to was offering a 50% off special for getting it the day it came out)

Midnight Mover is some Oni series from 2004. I thought it was okay, but the first half reminded me too much of Sin City: The Hard Goodbye, and the second half was...odd. Like the writer couldn't figure out how to end it.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #151 on: 3 February 2011, 00:32:08 »

Check out Chew. Trust me.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #152 on: 3 February 2011, 00:40:26 »

...I think my girlfriend's been reading that. I had received a stack of "Free Comic Book Day" comics because I'm a librarian, and she picked out an issue of that (I think) and The Guild. She steals my comics  :(

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #153 on: 3 February 2011, 03:03:12 »

You can pick up the paperbacks for pretty cheap. Really funny, original stuff. Kind of have to read it in order, though, so I wouldn't start at a random issue.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #154 on: 5 February 2011, 23:59:57 »

No Chew books at the comic book store, unfortunately.

Today I bought:

-Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
-Planet of the Apes: Old Gods (I had picked up Planet of the Apes: The Human War years ago and wanted to see where the series went).
-Whatever issue of Fantastic Four it is where one of the members dies. First run. I'm not going to open it up from the bag.

I picked up Black Cat & Wolverine: Claws for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day.

Edit: I picked up some new stuff today. (2/12/11)

I bought the latest issue of Walking Dead Weekly for my girlfriend.

For myself, these graphic novels:

-Best of Marvel '95 (wtf? Collection of various issues of comics Marvel put out in 95. They should do this more often)
-Captain America: Deathlok Lives
-Spider-Man: India
« Last Edit: 12 February 2011, 23:56:45 by Speed Racer » Logged

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #155 on: 13 February 2011, 03:01:11 »

INDIA

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #156 on: 13 February 2011, 03:18:48 »

I always wanted to check the series out; I heard that it was pretty good.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #157 on: 6 March 2011, 23:47:33 »

I heard it wasn't.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #158 on: 23 March 2011, 23:13:53 »

I'm almost done with it; I wish that there was more than four issues to the series.

I'd love it if Marvel gave the company that made "Robot" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_%28film%29) $40-50 million and have them make a Spider-Man India flick. It could be pretty sweet.

Posted on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:57 PM

I picked up various graphic novels yesterday:

Moon Knight: God & Country
Spider-Man: Election Day
Squadron Supreme: The Pre-War Years
Squadron Supreme: Power to the People
Squadron Supreme: Bright Shining Lies
Star Trek: Debt of Honor
Wolverine: Origins - Seven the Hard Way

I also picked up:

The Amazing Spider-Man #656

Power Girl #22

I mean, seriously, what's not to like? It's Superman and Power Girl beating up on dinosaurs?

Star Trek: Captain's Log - Harriman

I've always found the character of Captain Harriman from Star Trek: Generations to be an interesting character, so I was looking forward to this comic.

Posted on: March 20, 2011, 03:52:16 PM

Future Foundation (which replaces the Fantastic Four) #1 came out today. Anybody get it?

Posted on: March 26,2011, 3:12:00 PM

I picked up Future Foundation #1 today; pretty interesting twist at the end. I want to get the other variant covers later on.

I also picked up:

Superman #709

This issue is special to me, because it makes a fun reference to the Super Dictionary - a kid's dictionary from the 1970s featuring various DC Comics characters. The backstory in this issue makes the "Lex Luthor stole forty cakes" thing (which at this point is considered a meme) canon.

Aaaaaaaaand I also picked up Venom #1

« Last Edit: 26 March 2011, 19:19:00 by Speed Racer » Logged

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #159 on: 29 March 2011, 00:23:03 »

I should get into comic books again, these covers are awesome.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #160 on: 29 March 2011, 09:09:01 »

Since I couldn't fall asleep, I read Future Foundation #1, Venom #1, and Star Trek: Captain's Log - Captain Harriman.

Both FF and Venom have the potential to be pretty interesting series; especially with the twist at the end of FF #1.

I enjoyed the Captain Harriman comic, but I felt that it was too short. Definitely did some work to redeem the character and helped get inside the character's head. I highly doubt that they'll make any new comics featuring that character; I think IDW had shipped a ton of those out to comic book shops to get rid of them, as it was being sold as new even though it was published in April 2010.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #161 on: 29 March 2011, 15:11:17 »

Well, I bought my first ever comic... FF#1.

I want to buy more. @_@

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #162 on: 17 April 2011, 21:11:40 »

I know this is probably going to stretch the page out, but hush - this is awesome.

I picked up this variant cover set of Fantastic Four.

(Image deleted so people would stop bitching)

I picked up these two comics the other day:

Deadpool Team-Up #883. Galactus is adorable when he's munching on planets.

Deadpool Team-Up #883 Variant

« Last Edit: 12 July 2011, 19:07:58 by Speed Racer » Logged

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #163 on: 17 April 2011, 21:41:12 »

Oh deadpool, he so silly.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #164 on: 18 April 2011, 01:06:39 »

I picked up the "Deadpool: I Rule, You Suck" (I think that's what it is called) graphic novel the other day...#####ing hilarious. Exactly what I needed to cheer me up.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #165 on: 20 April 2011, 23:01:59 »

I'm mega behind on comics, but it's a good thing because a lot of them are just pissing me off. I plan to get back into it a bit more but lately I'm just catching up on old stuff that's proven awesome like Planetary, and The Sandman. It's just better since I'm all over the place these days and barely get a chance to read or even pick up issues.

FF, which I guess is called Future Foundation? It seemed like they were gonna call it First Family originally, so I thought it would be really stupid. I might check it out if you guys say it's good.
Still keeping up (well, I'm behind but I still order them) with Avengers stuff, which is a MIXED bag, quality-wise.
I'm thinking about getting back into Spider-Guy and X-misc, but otherwise for Marvel I don't really know what to look at anymore. I think most of what I read before is done or I don't care about it at this point. For DC, I have Green Lantern stuff to catch up on but I think I'm gonna limit it to that for a bit, maybe finish what I was reading in Superman titles before checking something new out.

A lot of the writing in superhero comics is getting stale to me, so this time-out is probably worth it.

Can't wait to read the new volume of Fables though.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #166 on: 20 April 2011, 23:52:47 »

If you think it's getting stale, check out the new Dark Horse comic Axe Cop.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #167 on: 22 April 2011, 07:31:27 »

Chew, you guys.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #168 on: 22 April 2011, 21:31:20 »

Axe Cop got a publishing deal? THIS IS BEYOND COOL.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #169 on: 22 April 2011, 21:47:19 »

They've seen with Dark Horse for a while, Dr. McNinja has joined them too.

For those who do not know: Axe cop is written by a 7 year old and drawn by his 30 year old brother. It's zany and neat.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #170 on: 22 April 2011, 22:13:58 »

For clarification, I'm talking about regular universe Marvel, DC, Image, etc. and not internet comics that've been turned into series, contained graphic novels, events, or side-reality things.

Freshest take on what I'm talking about in a while  that I've read has been Invincible, but I'm started to worry about it. I keept forgetting to check out Irredeemable.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #171 on: 23 April 2011, 04:44:20 »

I wanted to check out Invincible. Seems like I'd like it, plus I love The Walking Dead. It's the same guy, right?

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #172 on: 23 April 2011, 20:22:37 »

Yes, and it's probably very different but probably equally as fresh. I think you'd really get into it.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #173 on: 23 April 2011, 21:20:13 »

I'll check it out as soon as I'm done navigating this stretched thread.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #174 on: 23 April 2011, 22:43:20 »

I picked up The Pulse: Thin Air and something called The Gunwitch: Outskirts of Doom. Some sort of Oni Press thing. Looked neat.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #175 on: 24 April 2011, 23:45:26 »

Pulse was great but not as great as Alias, which introduced the character and was a MAX series. I would check that out if I were you. I just got my girlfriend into it and she seems to like it.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #176 on: 12 May 2011, 20:42:43 »

I'm REALLY digging The Pulse, so I'm gonna check out Alias as soon as I can.

Posted on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:01 PM

Hooray! It's time for "Holy Fruits, Let's See What Speed Bought Today!"

Brightest Day #24 - Why the crap not? They brought in MOTHER#####ING SWAMP THING!

Action Comics #900 - Superman disowns America! Faux News commentators throw a #####fit!

Future Foundation #1 2nd printing - Nifty homage to Fantastic Four #1

Venom #2

Future Foundation #2

The Mighty Thor Saga - How else do you promote an upcoming movie but with a NIFTY free comic?

Posted on: April 30, 2011, 06:32:17 PM

I picked up Future Foundation #3. That issue was lacking, but it's building up to something big.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #177 on: 12 May 2011, 21:21:00 »

Middle Thor looks like he got shot through the chest.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #178 on: 13 May 2011, 23:09:07 »

My dad just told me that he may give me his entire comic book collection (although he might hold on to his Tarzan comics). Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeet.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #179 on: 16 May 2011, 08:02:38 »

I believe I may already have started it here but I'll say I'm reading comic books now.

I've decided I'll follow the FF series, Batman: The Dark Knight, Venom, and MegaMan.

FF started off slow but always had a twist at the end. FF#3 however things got crazy and I am now heavily interested.

Dark Knight drew me in instantly. I really like the artwork too.

Venom seems interesting. I don't know too much about the Flash Thompson character but I'll continue reading it unless it gets boring.

MegaMan is rather obvious, I would think. Even if it did get bland I think I would continue to follow it.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #180 on: 16 May 2011, 23:04:39 »

You could probably just link the covers instead of posting them every time. Anyone interested will click and/or already knows what the cover is...

This thread is a big ass eyesore right now.

SacredFireman
Metall

« Reply #181 on: 19 May 2011, 16:55:05 »

Two of my favorite comics right now (or one's I'm fully looking forward to) are Megaman and InFamous. Guess the gamer in me won't die.

: TheRedPriest
: Ben
What's supposed to be awful about Rockman ZERO? I'd rather call Original Rockman awful.
You may leave this web site now.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #182 on: 11 July 2011, 04:46:37 »

Anyone here read Locke & Key? I just got caught up and... holy hell. It's amazing. One of the best-written comics I've seen, and the art is right up there with it.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #183 on: 12 July 2011, 19:06:50 »

My girlfriend is a big fan of it. She was highly disappointed that Fox didn't pick up the show.

So, who's been reading Flashpoint?

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #184 on: 13 July 2011, 23:56:36 »

I have friends reading Flashpoint but they say it's not all that and my favourite quote was "What's the #####ing point?" as they are just relaunching DC soon anyway.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #185 on: 14 July 2011, 20:14:39 »

I dunno, I'm really digging it - perhaps because I haven't really read anything recent by DC in a long time. The Abin Sur miniseries is pretty cool; not sure about the Kid Flash one.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #186 on: 14 July 2011, 22:57:19 »

I'm behind on everything (which I kind of like, since superhero comics and I have been at odds recently) but I'll definitely check it out SOMEDAY since I've loved Geoff Johns' stuff for a long time.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #187 on: 16 July 2011, 05:01:09 »

I'm really enjoying FF but man that last issue... I did not understand anything. It was just pure filler. :/

Venom seems like it's got potential, but it's like one issue is good and then the next leaves me kind-of bored. Last one was good as was before that, though.

And of course I'm enjoying MegaMan. I also picked up the Sonic Genesis part 1 of 4 arc of the Sonic comic, it's kind-of like a reboot. I only intend on reading the four though, I'm not too interested in the world and characters of the comic.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #188 on: 27 September 2011, 13:18:28 »

IDW's Duke Nukem mini-series is fun.

Posted on: July 28, 2011, 07:01:10 PM

Last night I decided to read one of my graphic novels that I've yet to read, a 1950s/1960s manga called Black Blizzard. Two convicts escape a train derailment in the middle of a snowstorm...fairly decent. I could see a B-movie be made out of it.

Posted on: July 31, 2011, 03:53:00 PM

Flashpoint #5 and Justice League #1 are out today!

Apparently DC has already sold out of Justice League #1's initial first printing of 200,000 copies.

Posted on: August 31, 2011, 10:24:34 AM

So here's my thoughts on the "New 52" as I posted on my LJ:

As of late I've been reading the new DC Comics titles, as everything got "rebooted".

But it didn't.

DC didn't want people using the word "reboot" to describe everything post-Flashpoint, because they said that it wasn't going to be a straight-up reboot.

Clark Kent is still Superman, Bruce Wayne is still Batman, and we have a bunch of guys running around as the Green Lantern.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this new universe is supposed to work, not only because of some titles taking whole reset button seriously (like Justice League and Action Comics), but the whole idea of being able to introduce new readers to these characters.

Take for instance, Green Lantern Corps which is a title that involves two of the four human Green Lanterns - Jon Stewart and Guy Gardner. In issue #1, they've already got their rings and they're going into action to beat...something. Where was the introduction? How did they get their rings? If you're new to the comics scene, you won't have any idea who these guys are (okay, so they say that Stewart was originally an architect) or how they got their powers. It just automatically assumes that you've been reading various Green Lantern titles for years. Same with Green Lantern, which introduces us to Sinestro first, and then talks about his previous crimes. Oh really? What were they? And why is Hal Jordan without a ring? Much less, why should we give a damn about this Hal Jordan character?

I haven't picked up an issue of Green Arrow in years, but I did two weeks ago. If this is supposed to introduce new readers to the series, they left out two important things: 1) Who the hell is he? 2) Why is he so good with the bow and arrow?

Batman and Robin seems to be a pretty cool title. But when did Bruce Wayne have a kid? How does it fit in to this new timeline?

Meanwhile, the first issue of the new Justice League introduces us to a world that is just discovering all of these superhuman, aliens, robots, what-have-you. The first issue apparently takes place six months after the first discovery of all of these meta-humans. And frankly, it kicks ass. We've got Batman being shot at by the cops, only to be saved at the last minute by Green Lantern (possibly Hal Jordan, but it isn't made clear).

The main problem with this new "52" (52 being the number of series being released in September with this relaunch) is that it isn't the introduction/relaunch that we've all been reading about. Some titles are willing to hold new readers by the hand (Justice League, Deadman, Blue Beetle), others aren't taking time to let you know what they're about (Green Arrow, various Green Lantern titles). I can understand why wanted some of the old stories to still be canon (after all, what's the point in reading 70+ years of comics for all of it to go down the #####-can in September 2011?), but some of this stuff confounds me. Some of these titles don't seem to be a fresh start for these characters, and now suddenly I feel like I need to read Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and War of the Green Lanterns, just so I have an idea of what the hell they're talking about...which is the exact opposite of what DC advertised.

Which now makes me pretty sure that DC doesn't know what the hell it's doing with this reboot and is aimlessly throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it'll stick. Granted, I'm pretty impressed with the writing thus far, and only have one series that I'll probably never check out again.

------------

My update to this: So after talking to my professor, it turns out that the best-reviewed ones are the ones that are actually taking the reboot seriously. Meanwhile, people are complaining that Green Lantern #1 should actually just be Green Lantern #56, because Johns didn't feel like erasing all that he's written.

Which now makes me mad - this whole relaunch is a sham. If DC was serious about this, they would have wiped it clean across the board. I may be ditching a number of my subscriptions/holds in the coming months because of this.

I'm also not impressed with IDW's new Star Trek series (based on the 2009 movie) - they're redoing the original series pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with the new crew in September/October, with "Galileo 7" being the November (and possibly December) issue. I thought we'd be getting NEW, ORIGINAL stories out of this. If I wanted rewrites of old material, I'd watch the first three seasons of Star Trek: Voyager.

At least Mega Man doesn't suck. I've been very impressed with the series.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #189 on: 28 October 2011, 16:30:01 »

Yeah I've been following The Dark Knight because it was a new series... but when they decided to reboot that alongside the original Batman, I was like "Okay"

But both The Dark Knight and Batman show us that all of the same villains are still there, and that Bruce Wayne has a bunch of other bat-themed friends... It really pisses me off, actually. I was really hoping it was a real reboot.

All Star Western is OK. I will probably stop picking it up once the Jonah Hex story is finished. I loved Catwoman, even though it also isn't a reboot series.

Apparently Aquaman was really, really good. Same with Batgirl. They're both hard to find now.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #190 on: 6 May 2012, 19:55:33 »

With the New 52, the ones that I have subscriptions to are:

Action Comics, All-Star Western, Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, The Flash, The Fury of Firestorm, Green Arrow, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Justice League, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Red Lanterns

But I'm keeping an eye on (as in, buying the issues to see where they're going before getting a subscription):

Aquaman, Batwing, Captain Atom, Catwoman, DC Universe Presents (Deadman), Detective Comics, Justice League Dark, Mister Terrific, The Savage Hawkman, Supergirl, Superman, and  Voodoo

Posted on: October 28, 2011, 01:28:08 PM

Due to a research paper that I had to write for my Senior Seminar class (about how The Crow comics and movies were inspired by Batman, Ghost Rider, the Punisher, and Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven, yet through accepting modern gothic culture, makes The Crow being the only one who can actually deal with his problems), I've got a huge #####ing backlog of comics to read that I've only been able to start reading now.

So within the last week, I've managed to clear through All-Star Western to The Lone Ranger.

Honestly, I think that All-Star Western and Justice League are DC's best-written comics. Justice League is one "holy #####" moment after another.

I'm disappointed that Mister Terrific is getting axed after issue #8; I've been enjoying the series so far. I'm probably going to pick up the rest of Blackhawks, Men of War, and Static Shock just so I can have a complete run of those titles (I was able to pick up issue #1 for each of those when they first came out), even though I didn't really like them. However, I've already put in subscriptions for World's Finest, Earth 2, and Dial H. Dial H is the one I'm looking forward to the most, as it just seems awesome. Dude hops in a phone booth when there's trouble, dials a phone number, and gets a random-ass super power.

I'd really like to check out Dynamite's various Kirby: Genesis series. I have yet to read a single issue, but Alex Ross' cover art really makes me want to check it out. Each cover that he does looks #####ing sick. Speaking of Dynamite, Garth Ennis is writing their new series for The Shadow. #####. Yes.

Because of the backlog, I ended up having to read 4 or 5 issues of FF. Halfway through read, I was thinking about killing my subscription, but I'm glad that they've focused on the kids now instead of all of this weird backstory ##### that I have no #####ing clue what they're talking about. I wasn't crazy about the new art, but I'm getting used to it.

Posted on: January 20, 2012, 02:44:37 AM

Also, I really dug this G.I. Joe cover. Nothing great, but using action figures for a cover is fun.

Posted on: January 20, 2012, 02:59:47 AM

I think I would give my left nut for the original of this:

Posted on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:49 PM

Don't forget that this Saturday (May 5) is Free Comic Book Day!

Posted on: May 02, 2012, 02:23:28 AM

So yesterday was Free Comic Book Day. I got everything (except for The Avengers comic, which my girlfriend stole from me), along with a bunch of graphic novels on the cheap:

7 Billion Needles: Volume 1
Batman: Gates of Gotham
Batman Beyond: Industrial Revolution
Black Widow (Marvel Knights collection)
Doc Savage: The Silver Pyramid
The Incredible Hulk: Ground Zero
John Constantine, Hellblazer: Fear and Loathing
John Constantine, Hellblazer: Son of Man
John Constantine, Hellblazer: Red Sepulchre
John Constantine, Hellblazer: Stations of the Cross
John Constantine, Hellblazer: The Gift
Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers
Winsor McCay: Early Works II

I also won a big stack of DC Comics back issues from one of the nearby comic book stores!

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #191 on: 26 May 2012, 22:44:44 »

The comics I keep up with are:
-MegaMan
-FF
-Fantastic Four
-Venom
-All-Star Western
-Batman: The Dark Knight

I love MegaMan, the original arcs are especially great. ASW is decent... I don't care or Jonah Hex much but Dr. Arkham is pretty cool. I am enjoying the Nighthawk and Cinnamon arc a lot too. Much more interesting dynamic than Hex and the Doctor. Good thing too as I hated the last western story arc. Batman is always good, I find. Not excellent but not bad.

I have yet to catch up to FF, Fanatstic Four and Venom, however. While I was at school my dad picked up all of the incomming issues and I have a lot with those 3 (especially Venom and the Hell arc, holy crap). I caught up with everything else though.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #192 on: 19 July 2012, 01:32:32 »

The last thing I read was from DC Universe Presents, with their relaunch of Challengers of the Unknown. I wasn't terribly impressed, but I also had no clue that it was a series from the 1950s and 1970s. I liked the idea of them being a part of some reality show, but otherwise it felt rushed. Like...why should I care about them?

Posted on: May 27, 2012, 12:54:51 AM

G.I. Combat #1 was way better than I expected it to be, but then again, how can you go wrong with a comic book that has dinosaurs vs. tanks?

Also, there is a series of Marvel one-shots starring Franklin Richards that I really dug, mainly because the artwork is reminiscent of Calvin & Hobbes.

Posted on: June 09, 2012, 10:02:35 PM

I'm not sure that I liked the Justice League Dark/I, Vampire crossover (at least on the Justice League Dark side; I've never read an issue of I, Vampire). The ending felt rushed and I'm not sure if I like the new team members that they've introduced.

Dynamite's The Lone Ranger is still a pretty solid series.

Posted on: June 30, 2012, 03:44:16 PM

I'm not digging the Red Lanterns' new direction with the introduction of the human character "Rankorr", who is the first one to be able to make constructs (like the Green Lanterns do). If the series keeps this up, I'll be dropping this series soon.

Voodoo is still pretty neat, although I think that ending the series in September is the right decision to make.

Even though it kind of sucks because I'm always playing catch-up, I like being able to read 5 or so issues of a series at a time. Plots seem to flow better, and I don't have to keep track of as much crap at a time.

Posted on: July 10, 2012, 10:09:57 AM

I could've sworn that I had posted about this before, but Barnes & Noble's websites, BN.com, is running a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sale on select graphic novels. It runs to 7/20. I picked up:

Catwoman Vol. 1, Detective Comics Vol. 1, Justice League Vol. 1, Mister Terrific Vol. 1, Suicide Squad Vol. 1

Non-superhero stuff: Daytripper, complete FLCL, and The Push Man and Other Stories.

EHMendoza
Noob

« Reply #193 on: 1 August 2012, 09:11:06 »

Also, it's pronounced like "Raw Shark".

Scorpion first appeared in the Incredible Hulk, around House of M, and has made appearances in Spider-Man Family and Amazing Fantasy.

My best character is Hulk and I was interested in Marvel for it's good appearances.

Create easy photo to canvas online.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #194 on: 12 August 2012, 16:01:58 »

I just read Batman: Earth One. I liked this reimagining, although I think I prefer Superman: Earth One more.

Caught up with the various Before Watchmen series. I highly recommend them if you haven't checked them out yet. All of them are great; Silk Spectre seems to be the weakest of all of the storylines, but even her series is pretty good. Definitely going to collect the graphic novels when they come out.

Posted on: August 02, 2012, 10:12:42 PM

I've finally ordered everything that I think I'll be needing for my Punisher paper. I still need to find a conference (the Terror and the Inhuman Conference turned down my paper), but I'd like to have a rough draft done by the end of the month, which is when the Fall 2012 semester starts.

Here's what I've bought in terms of graphic novels, including a bunch of non-Punisher stuff:

The Alcoholic
Area 10
Batman: Heart of Hush
Dark Rain: A New Orleans Story
Gangland
The Prisoner: Shattered Visage
The Punisher - Essential Vol. 3 (also put down an order for Vol. 4 coming in October)
The Punisher by Greg Rucka - Vol. 1
Punisher Max: Frank
The Punisher: War Journal - The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci
The Punisher: Widowmaker
« Last Edit: 13 August 2012, 04:09:26 by Speed Racer » Logged

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #195 on: 15 August 2012, 18:21:39 »

I've been reading a manga.

It's about a guy with a birthmark on his ass; when women see it, it makes them want to have sex with him uncontrollably.

Hijinks.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #196 on: 28 December 2012, 17:32:24 »

So an update on my Punisher paper: it got accepted to the Southwest/Texas Pop Culture and American Culture Association Conference, which will be in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I got the school to pay for around $350 worth of Punisher graphic novels, and soon I'll be booking my flight and hotel for it.

As a result, I'm months behind on my regular comic reading, which I hope to conquer over Christmas break. When I need to take a break from Punisher, I've been reading the run of Zatanna from a year or two ago.

Posted on: November 28, 2012, 10:37:43 AM

You guys definitely need to check out the Superman: Earth One series (there's only two volumes, so it's a great way to spend an afternoon). I got Volume 2 for Christmas, and it was great - the art is incredible, the plot is cool, and I really like the more philosophical take on Superman.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #197 on: 31 December 2012, 18:57:49 »

Congrats on the paper, man!

Currently reading: Starman Omnibus vol.1, Cinderella: Fables Are Forever (Fables spinoff), Rocketeer, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing vol. 1, Locke & Key vol. 1, Essential Power Man and Iron Fist.

Just finished: Saga vol.1, bunch of Avengers stuff from the past few months. Not sure if I'll be reading anything from Marvel NOW! after this. Kind of sick of most superhero books that are coming out right now.

Currently hyping: Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles Morales).

Upcoming: Spidermen, and more of the above, I'm sure.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #198 on: 17 March 2013, 20:24:25 »

So I moved in with my girlfriend, and there really isn't a lot of room for my comic books. I'll be making the jump to graphic novels sooner than I thought, and what's awesome is that the guy I buy comics from is okay with doing a swap for graphic novels. For some titles, he's willing to do a straight swap (whatever issues are covered in the graphic novel, he'll swap for that graphic novel), other's it'll be a 10 comics per one graphic novel swap.

So that'll be nice. It just means that I have to figure out what I'm willing to part with and what he'll trade.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #199 on: 17 March 2013, 22:34:47 »

That makes sense, the issues could IN THEORY end up being sold for a higher price than you bought them for and graphic novels/trades will never be worth more than retail. It's still a gamble and most shops wouldn't bother doing it, since most places are trying to get RID of back issues. That's pretty cool.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Comic Book talk (I.E. Marvel, DC, Image and the rest) Spoilers ahead
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string