MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 10:06:52
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Classic Series  |  : Mega Man 11
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Mega Man 11  (Read 34739 times)
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« on: 4 December 2017, 19:45:39 »

Mega Man 11 was announced.

Not 8-bit, but 2.5D.

Would've preferred 2D HD sprites, but I can't help but be hyped.

Coming out late 2018 for PS4, Switch, Xbox One and PC.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 & 2 come out on Switch in Spring 2018.

EDIT: Mega Man 11 is releasing on October 2nd, 2018!
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 01:01:03 by NovaMan XP » Logged
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2017, 19:48:12 »

I still genuinely hate 2.5D but this is probably the tightest gameplay I've seen in that style. That said, I don't like the animations here. Specifically there's something stiff about his jump and his proportions are a little odd.

But I'm all for a new game. Yes I copy-pasted this response from earlier.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 4 December 2017, 19:56:50 »

Both Legacy Collections are coming to Switch as well! That plus X1-4 and I'll have so much Mega goodness on Switch to keep me entertained until 11 comes out.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2017, 20:00:05 »

Both Legacy Collections are coming to Switch as well!

Hotdamn I was hoping for that! I never got the Legacy Collection on any platform before. Not sure if it's decent but I don't mind. I'm even able to forgive the Anniversary Collections.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #4 on: 4 December 2017, 20:00:45 »

Looks really nice, I was all set up to be super disappointed but the art style is decent and the devs have good pedigree so I'm looking forward to it.  Shame it's still a year away!

(also amiibo support for Legacy Collections on Switch!)

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 4 December 2017, 20:06:25 »

First collection was okay, second one was pretty good.

I think the first collection would've been excellent if they ported the Complete Works versions with all the extras.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 4 December 2017, 20:11:55 »

Ah OK, I'll be getting it either way. The Switch is a perfect MM console.

Back to MM11: They really need to tweak the animation.

Trying to recreate the spirit of sprite poses in 3D is very difficult. If you look at Mega Man's jump zoomed in (seen in this thumbnail), it's incredibly stiff and the pose has a rigid line of action. It has a lifelessness to it.

For contrast, Mega Man's animation in Smash Bros. 4 were incredibly well adapted from the his 8-bit poses.

saldite
Sniper Joe

« Reply #7 on: 4 December 2017, 20:17:59 »

Pretty excited about the news myself. Gameplay looks slick so far, here's hoping everything else is.

the devs have good pedigree
Who's doing it? Is it an external team that Capcom contracted out to?
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #8 on: 4 December 2017, 20:41:29 »

Thank #####ing god it wasn't that Man of Action abomination.

But also ##### YES New Mega Man.

The only gripe I have is Mega Man's walking animation.  It looks clunky and slow. 
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 4 December 2017, 21:37:59 »

Legacy Collection 1 on Switch will have the rewind feature from the Disney Collection. All other versions of LC1 (except 3DS) will get it via a patch apparently.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #10 on: 4 December 2017, 21:49:01 »

Who's doing it? Is it an external team that Capcom contracted out to?

Looks like in house Capcom.  Top dude made Ghouls and Ghosts and the Mickey Mouse Magical Quest games back in the SNES days, and lots of other MegaMan alums are involved.

You guys are right about the animations as well, almost reminds me of the Network Transmission running and jumping!  (ick!)

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #11 on: 4 December 2017, 22:15:14 »

I will buy the Switch version of Legacy Collection if they are retail.  No reason at all to get them if they're digital.

Same for X collection, which I hope to ##### is retail on at least ONE #####ing platform.  I'll buy.  I hope this time they use the SNES version of X3 and not the PS1 version.

Mega Man 11.  Disappointed it's 2.5D.  Christ that is the WORST way to do a 2D game.  It NEVER looks good.  I don't know that this looks awful, but it's not great.  As was said, animations look stiff and inferior to Mega Man's Smash Bros. 3D stuff.  I dig the art style so far.  It's not classic classic, but it's not that horribly drastic (and utter #####) departure from the usual style that X8 pulled.  Maybe they'll fix things up before next year.  Pleased, but I honestly can't say excited.  PLUS there is the issue we don't even know if it's retail or digital only garbage (unless I missed that in all the articles I read).  Could be better, could be much, much worse.  I'll be watching.

<edit> Regardless, holy #####!  Maybe Mega Man amiibos?!  I would murder every single one of you for a Mega Man, Roll, Dr. Wily, Dr. Light, and Rush amiibo set...
« Last Edit: 4 December 2017, 22:21:10 by TheRedPriest » Logged

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #12 on: 4 December 2017, 22:40:52 »

CoE posted the trailer for MM11, for people that skipped the stream due to expecting another round of corpse parading like the last time Capcom said they had big news for the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aSC5A726f0

I'm surprised they're going to put effort in with 3D modeling this time around, since I really expected them to cop out and do 8-bit again when it was MM11 announced, especially with the fake out at the start. Seeing that Rock has the charge shot again makes me especially happy that Inafune's gone and they're no longer fellating MM2 as some unsung masterpiece of what the series needs to be, and I hope the slide is in as well, since having iconic abilities tied to DLC characters was bull. Something that surprised me is the voiced grunts, which lends itself to possible voice work again.

As far as the collection ports go, since they're all headed to the Switch, I look forward to having them on the go, especially with the X addition. A new generation will be able to hear "BURN TO THE GROUND" on an endless loop while complaining about how bad X7 is, and that kind of sadism puts a smile on my face. Too bad the X compilation is lacking Command Mission, and Xtreme 2 would have been a neat addition, but I suppose they go on the misc pile with Battle & Chase, as well as the Power arcade titles.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 4 December 2017, 22:45:30 »

<edit> Regardless, holy #####!  Maybe Mega Man amiibos?!  I would murder every single one of you for a Mega Man, Roll, Dr. Wily, Dr. Light, and Rush amiibo set...

I'd probably let you murder me for that too.

My Smash Mega Man and Gold Mega Man need more buddies anyway.

Also, remember when Mighty No. 9 was supposed to be a giant middle finger to Capcom? Now Mega Man 11 looks like a giant middle finger to Inafune. Hopefully it doesn't crash and burn like MN9.

And considering Legacy Collection 1 and 2 got physical versions I'd say its likely MM11 and X Collection will have them as well.

Also, slide and charge shot for Mega Man are definitely back according to the trailer, so no worries there.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 4 December 2017, 22:51:34 »

I'm #####ing psyched as hell, especially since my oldest son will be 4 when it comes out. Perfect time to get him into Mega Man games.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #15 on: 4 December 2017, 23:02:00 »

<edit> Regardless, holy #####!  Maybe Mega Man amiibos?!  I would murder every single one of you for a Mega Man, Roll, Dr. Wily, Dr. Light, and Rush amiibo set...

Also, remember when Mighty No. 9 was supposed to be a giant middle finger to Capcom? Now Mega Man 11 looks like a giant middle finger to Inafune. Hopefully it doesn't crash and burn like MN9.

And considering Legacy Collection 1 and 2 got physical versions I'd say its likely MM11 and X Collection will have them as well.

Also, slide and charge shot for Mega Man are definitely back according to the trailer, so no worries there.

Capcom has been ##### about things though, Resident Evil Revelations Collection for Switch, the RETAIL version has the 2nd game as a download title.  You only get the first game retail.  If they try to pull that ##### with a retail version of the Switch Legacy Collection they can go shove a hot iron rod up their asses.

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #16 on: 5 December 2017, 01:17:08 »

Game Informer is going to be doing daily updates documenting MM11's development through their website, for those interested in learning more about the game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/megaman.aspx

Today has the making of their December cover, which features all the various USA Megamen from the box arts.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 5 December 2017, 05:23:52 »

<edit> Regardless, holy #####!  Maybe Mega Man amiibos?!  I would murder every single one of you for a Mega Man, Roll, Dr. Wily, Dr. Light, and Rush amiibo set...

Capcom has been ##### about things though, Resident Evil Revelations Collection for Switch, the RETAIL version has the 2nd game as a download title.  You only get the first game retail.  If they try to pull that ##### with a retail version of the Switch Legacy Collection they can go shove a hot iron rod up their asses.

Right. That is a good point. I'm going to hope since LC1 and 2 don't take up too much space that we may not have to fear that bull#####, but Capcom will be Capcom.

...at the very least we should grateful Mega Man 11 isn't an FPS. ...yet.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 5 December 2017, 17:51:34 »

I really hope they don't bother with voice acting and avoid gameplay interruptions that don't add anything. Those were probably my biggest peeves with Mighty No. 9.

I think if anything my biggest concern is if this gets cancelled. I really hope that doesn't happen.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 5 December 2017, 17:57:21 »

On the subject of them not doing 8-bit again, I would not have minded if they used the Mega Man 7 art style. It was a really robust and appealing move for the franchise that was sadly only used in one game. There's a reason so many sprite artists got their start with that as a base.

Still, I'm open to this. Just skeptical.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 5 December 2017, 18:13:33 »

I don't think I mind either way. It would be cool if retro style was a visual mode you could just select prior to playing, but in the worst case I imagine there's gonna be someone willing to create a "demake" of the final product if people want it so much. Or maybe the company will see that as a DLC opportunity or something. If it was DLC I'd be willing to pay like $5 MAXIMUM for a retro skin, but I imagine if they do something like that in reality it'll be at least like $13 and everyone will complain about the fact that there's DLC.

I think ideally, if they want to make it look newer, high-definition hand-drawn sprites are the way to go and I'm not super passionate about the difference but I'd definitely be more excited for that.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 5 December 2017, 18:32:50 »

If they don't build the game with that in mind then a skin won't be worth much. I'm not saying I need the game to look retro, but I've rarely seen 2.5D work for a game that's meant to as tight and fast as MM. I'm glad they didn't just do 8-bit again because I'm all for switching it up but gameplay should come first, especially in a Mega Man game.

I'm not a huge fan of hand-drawn sprites, to be honest, but could make the action faster, that's true. They make every game look like a Newgrounds one to me and the way they animate and move in gameplay is not to my taste but it's fine. As long as they iron out the stiffness in this 2.5D stuff and maybe tweak the character design then I'm all good.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #22 on: 5 December 2017, 18:41:17 »

2.5D is my biggest gripe about Bloodstained too, and it's one of the better looking 2.5D games.  But my GOD, can you imagine how beautiful it would look in 2D?

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 6 December 2017, 00:06:49 »

I wonder if anybody else will be playable aside from Mega Man, since 9 and 10 did bring in extra characters. I'd at least hope for Bass being playable for the different gameplay. If Proto Man is back, I hope they make him different from his 9 & 10 versions. Or hell, give us Roll with the broom like in Powered Up.

I would also hope they aren't DLC but this is Capcom so we know they will be.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #24 on: 6 December 2017, 00:09:30 »

I want the game MADE to be played with Mega Man.  If you design stages around 3 different characters who play differently you get ##### level design.  Other characters are fine, but build it to run with Mega Man first.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 6 December 2017, 00:14:30 »

I think 9 and 10 did that well, since the other characters did play similarly to Mega Man. But I agree, I'd rather have solid stage design than 3 characters and bland design.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 7 December 2017, 17:07:39 »

Really, in the end, my only worry is the dissonance between what a Mega Man should be and what this will be.

I know I come off like a curmudgeon 90% of the time, and that's only partly true; I'm all for putting in a new art direction, but I look at things like how small Mega Man is on screen vs. how much BG there is, and how unpolished his jump is (especially the classic "his leg looks like it grows" issue) and I have to be a skeptic.

We've been burned so much on the 2.5D platformers with this franchise that I'd be more comfortable if they just took a stab at a new Battle Network.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #27 on: 7 December 2017, 17:19:15 »

Actually, I agree that Mega Man is WAY too small on screen.  People complain that MM7 he was too big and slow, but I thought it still worked well.  But this is just 90% bad 3D backgrounds and not enough detail on Mega Man and enemies because they're so tiny.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #28 on: 8 December 2017, 13:12:52 »

Let's hope it's better than nothing.

White Shadow
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #29 on: 8 December 2017, 19:10:56 »

I see what you did there...

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #30 on: 8 December 2017, 20:01:11 »

If anyone cares, Megaman 11 will be a physical release and it may cost less than the usual $59.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuiCcI5ftM

It starts at 4:00 if you want to hear it.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 9 December 2017, 04:15:21 »

Now we just need confirmation that the Legacy Collections are going to be physical releases on Switch, and the X games. Definitely picking up MM11 on Switch for sure.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 9 December 2017, 15:54:06 »

I'm not a huge fan of hand-drawn sprites, to be honest, but could make the action faster, that's true. They make every game look like a Newgrounds one to me and the way they animate and move in gameplay is not to my taste but it's fine. As long as they iron out the stiffness in this 2.5D stuff and maybe tweak the character design then I'm all good.

I'm surprised you feel this way. It never occurred to me that the amateur Newgrounds look might be something inherent to hand-drawn stuff. Did you feel that way about Wario Land for Wii?

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #33 on: 10 December 2017, 20:23:00 »

Retail doesn't even mean retail anymore.  Look at Resident Evil Revelations Collection.  Half of it is digital.  LA Noir for Switch is literally unplayable from the cartridge unless you download the rest of the game code from online.  Not just extras or DLC or updates, but the base game.  They only put like 75% of the game on the cart.  That isn't a retail release.

And that's now the new challenge we will face.  If MMLC 1 and 2 only have one or two games on the cart and you have to download the rest, it's not a retail release, full stop.

I hope it all works out though.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 10 December 2017, 23:20:01 »

It really pisses me off since one of the things I loved about the Switch carts at launch was that there were no mandatory installs when you insert a game. On the PS4 and Xbox One, you have to install the full game on your hard drive even if you bought physical. And yet we're still getting them anyway on the Switch from 3rd parties.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 11 December 2017, 21:13:38 »

I'm surprised you feel this way. It never occurred to me that the amateur Newgrounds look might be something inherent to hand-drawn stuff. Did you feel that way about Wario Land for Wii?

It's funny, you'd think I would love hand-drawn anything right? There's something about this type of movement that doesn't feel right for me. Rayman Legends for example.

I just checked out Wariolan for Wii for the first time, it's a lot better than what I'm thinking of. Maybe it's a framerate thing? On the flip side I love how they combined hand-drawn animation with spritework for Street Fighter 3, for example. And framerate doesn't seem to bother me with sprites, like Sonic Mania.

It's some kind of valley of "too crisp and smooth" even though that should be a good thing. It makes some sort of dissonance in my brain, the game-world looks less cohesive.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #36 on: 11 December 2017, 23:20:27 »

I think the problem is when they draw the arms and legs as separate, slap them over the sprite body and then have the arms and legs rotate during animations instead of drawing each frame individually.

...if I'm not making sense, Fire Emblem Heroes is a good example of what I mean. The little tiny sprites are cute and look decent enough, but the animations themselves for them look lazy and like flash animation.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #37 on: 12 December 2017, 10:28:48 »

...if I'm not making sense, Fire Emblem Heroes is a good example of what I mean. The little tiny sprites are cute and look decent enough, but the animations themselves for them look lazy and like flash animation.

They do. For hundreds of individual sprites, it's forgivable though, IMHO.

White Shadow
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #38 on: 12 December 2017, 14:17:51 »

I do not forgive.  I do not forget.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #39 on: 13 December 2017, 00:13:21 »

It really pisses me off since one of the things I loved about the Switch carts at launch was that there were no mandatory installs when you insert a game. On the PS4 and Xbox One, you have to install the full game on your hard drive even if you bought physical. And yet we're still getting them anyway on the Switch from 3rd parties.

It can't be a question of capacity, can it? I mean with technology as it is, it seems hard to believe anything couldn't fit on those carts.

I was a bit disappointed to find out that the Switch wouldn't have a mechanism for patching their own carts. Imagine being able to buy DLC and just... having it on the same original cart you bought the game on. That could have been like a new golden age for the end user and game collectors. Maybe there are so many reasons that wouldn't work, but it seemed like such a good idea. I don't mind expansions but I know I'm not the only one who appreciates a time when you only have to buy a game once to have all of the content available for it, in one place, without having to wait an extended period of time just to buy some complete edition.

As to hand-drawn stuff I'll admit there seem to be very VERY few games that have actually pulled it off, but I always assumed that was for lack of effort. I dunno. I think for me it's just a consistency thing. I like Rayman Legends visually though; I think that's on the higher end of what I think you're talking about. When you say Newgrounds flash I'm immediately thinking of 20XX.

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #40 on: 15 December 2017, 05:13:35 »

It can't be a question of capacity, can it? I mean with technology as it is, it seems hard to believe anything couldn't fit on those carts.

I was a bit disappointed to find out that the Switch wouldn't have a mechanism for patching their own carts. Imagine being able to buy DLC and just... having it on the same original cart you bought the game on. That could have been like a new golden age for the end user and game collectors. Maybe there are so many reasons that wouldn't work, but it seemed like such a good idea. I don't mind expansions but I know I'm not the only one who appreciates a time when you only have to buy a game once to have all of the content available for it, in one place, without having to wait an extended period of time just to buy some complete edition.

The capacity issue is history repeating from the N64 era, where Nintendo has a pretty stiff charge for cart sizes and other companies are passing the expenses onto the user. Evidence seems to suggest that a regular Switch cart is about 30 GB at max, while carts with more memory cost enough that even major third party titles are refusing to use them. It's created weird scenarios like the new RE Revelation pack having a 12 or so GB game on the cart, while having users download the other game that's 23 GB worth of space to an SD card. There's obviously stupid cases like that one basketball game from EA having an 18 GB save file, but perhaps this space issue will resolve itself over time so we don't have oddities like how one needs to download DOOM's multiplayer from the internet in order to have access to a standard gameplay feature.

As far as MMLC 1 & 2 goes, 1 was outsourced to Digial Eclipse, while 2 and supposedly the new X situation are being handled internally at CoA, which was revealed by a tweet from the head of the company that created MMLC1. The only reason I could see any issues about having them on a single cart is possibly licensing & royalty stuff we'll normally never know about, which hopefully doesn't turn into a situation like the RE double pack due to "Buy it and get MMLC2 on the cart, then download MMLC1 from the eShop so we don't have to pay those other guys as much", since both collections bundled are just about 8-9 GB in size for modern consoles.

If anyone cares, Megaman 11 will be a physical release and it may cost less than the usual $59.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuiCcI5ftM

It starts at 4:00 if you want to hear it.

That's because Capcom is expecting the bulk of people to throw some dinero on the DLCs, since 9 & 10 were surprisingly cheap until the extra content was added in. I wouldn't doubt Capcom having something like DLC gears that impact the gameplay, since it's Capcom.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #41 on: 15 December 2017, 16:22:59 »

It's also just how games are designed now, with DLC from the get go.  It's AWFUL design and damages the quality of games, but that's sadly how it is now for the most part.  The fact it's so horribly abused makes it even WORSE.  It's not will Mega Man 11 have DLC, it's HOW MUCH DLC will it have.

TriggerUNIT
Noob

« Reply #42 on: 26 December 2017, 11:48:16 »

A bit late, but I’ve been following this closely, and right now I must say, I’m not at all disappointed with my gameinformer sub. This managed to grab the spotlight and that retro-advertisement cover is now mounted on my wall.

I dunno how DLC will be treated, but this announcement being hot on the heels of DLC scandal after micro transaction scandal ad nauseam makes me doubt DLC will be interfering with the overall quality of the product. Scummy DLC practices seem tethered to specific publishers, not to mention that these anchor franchises seem to be treated with a great deal more respect (at least as far as products that actually reach our hands go). Though, there was that one time with on disc DLC for Bad Box Art MM...

Meh. All the classic franchise reboots have been handled well, and it’s not like movie properties that change hands and publishers like a cheap call-girl (Star Wars). I feel fairly secure.

See clearly through the eyes of insanity.
http://sologun15.freeforums.org/index.php
Bertram
Noob

« Reply #43 on: 6 February 2018, 08:28:31 »

I want you to understand this more content to more accurately without having to read several times.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #44 on: 6 February 2018, 13:57:34 »

I see there's a new post and I get excited.

I read the new post and I get depressed.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #45 on: 6 February 2018, 14:59:20 »

That's how I feel when any of you post.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #46 on: 7 February 2018, 11:19:48 »

You should see a therapist about that.

White Shadow
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #47 on: 7 February 2018, 15:51:59 »

No.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #48 on: 7 February 2018, 20:59:12 »

Certainly a timely reference.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #49 on: 8 February 2018, 11:19:35 »

Capcom acknowledging Megaman?
what parallel  world did I step in?
WHEN MMX 9?

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun (mmx3 opening tune intensifies)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Classic Series  |  : Mega Man 11
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string