MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
25 April 2024, 15:02:02
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : What game are you playing?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » Print
Author Topic: What game are you playing?  (Read 1187910 times)
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3100 on: 30 May 2011, 23:41:14 »

That anti-material rifle -is- fancy. It knocks out most targets in one shot -and- carries more ammo than the bolt-operated Mantis. Only 10 shots, that's nothing considering the size of the enemy squads, unless you want to charge into their lines in the middle of the fire fight to scavenge ammo...

White Shadow
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3101 on: 31 May 2011, 01:09:49 »

I rarely NEED it, so while i didn't have a ton of shots it made up for that in raw firepower. Plus Mass Effect 2 is lousy with thermal clips. It's like the bad guys actually have ammo inside them for you to shoot out of them.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #3102 on: 31 May 2011, 07:27:22 »

I love that friggin gun. I went Infiltrator on my first playthrough of ME2 and I start every fight from a distance obliterating with that thing.

Second playthrough: Vangaurd. CHARGE!

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3103 on: 2 June 2011, 01:14:49 »

It's especially useful near the end of the game when those platforms come in with really strong baddies waiting on them. At one point you can use it to take out two mega strong geth what are clustered, so your party doesn't suffer deaths (as you're probably not even using your strongest people in that section).

Sniping was also really helpful in Kasumi's loyalty mission, which was one of my favourite missions in the game.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3104 on: 2 June 2011, 05:01:13 »

I chose Assault Rifle proficiency and then I never used it... so bad choice for me. I would always run up to enemies and pulverize them. I was even pretty bold with tactical cloak when I switched over to Infiltrator.

I finished Demon's Souls, by the way. It's jumped up to high on my list of action RPGs.

Portal 2 will be a perfect change of pace.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #3105 on: 5 June 2011, 04:08:09 »

So. Demon's Souls. I beat the first boss and regained my health bar. When I went to the second world I decided to get a blue phantom to help me out but then someone invaded my game and killed both of us. I'm back at half of my maximum health  :(.

I heard that each world gets harder when you die; is it noticeable immediately or is it a slow gradual change?

edit:

I finished The Witcher 2. One of the choices you can make in the game, causes the part of the storyline to go in a completely different direction from the other choice (different quests, location, and even side quests). I just started a second playthrough right after my first. I didn't feel very good about any of the choices I made in the game -- this is exactly how I hope choices are handled in Mass Effect 3. (hope that the paragon renegade system gets tweaked or removed). Most fun I had in an RPG since...well Mass Effect 2.
« Last Edit: 5 June 2011, 04:17:36 by MOX » Logged
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3106 on: 5 June 2011, 18:05:14 »

It only really gets harder when die THREE times, and in body form ONLY.
Then you'll notice a change in difficulty. All it really means is enemies take more hits to kill and you take less hits to die. Your health bar will be even smaller and the enemies will be even stronger.

I'll tell you what I did, I collected the thief's ring and the cling ring from 1-1. The cling ring makes you gain back some max HP in soul form. The Thief's Ring makes it a lot harder for you to be outnumbered and killed, because you're actually invisible to enemies up to a fairly close distance. Casting Cloak boosts this and helps you to sneak attack some of the tougher enemies.

You can get through the game fairly easily with that combo alone.

Anyway if you actually kill your body in the Nexus so that it doesn't affect World Tendency elsewhere (dying is -1 and pure black World Tendency is when you get to -4). That way the World Tendency will only keep going up as you kill the bosses, NPC black phantoms, and optional bosses and stuff and the enemies will only get less tough. (They still get a lot tougher with each progression into the area anyway.)
The only thing is you miss out on the thrill of being invaded by black phantom players (you can't be invaded in soul form), and some of those fights can be pretty epic (though mostly if you're new to the game, they're pretty one-sided and you get your ass kicked).
I think there's only one area where you can be invaded in Soul Form, and it's actually really cool when/if it happens. I don't want to spoil it if it ever happens to you (network was down when I did it so I got nothing) but I was really impressed by the thinking involved there.

I've found that when I got used to the feel of the game, I would join other games as a blue phantom just to play it and help kill black phantoms (which raises your CHARACTER tendency, which makes your HP even higher as it stacks on top of world tendency), without worry about losing anything if I died.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #3107 on: 6 June 2011, 19:15:47 »

Yes I got the Thief Ring and the Cling Ring, which made not having a body much more bearable. However I've only been invaded once, and it was when I invited a Blue Phantom over. Can Black Phantoms join my game as long as I'm alive or only when I invite a Blue Phantom?
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3108 on: 6 June 2011, 22:16:54 »

You know, I've heard and watched a lot of that game but I've never heard anyone actually call it "fun" yet.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3109 on: 7 June 2011, 20:11:11 »

I won't advocate a game that I do not believe is fun.

There were some not fun parts but those parts were entirely optional.
You can break the game by putting points to magic and using Soul Ray the entire time. That is the one big negative I can speak of.
There is also SOME farming in this game that you don't have to participate in to succeed.

Still, I think it's got superior gameplay to Oblivion in that all weapons have different and more complex animations, some more difficult to master than others. With Oblivion, because you can switch to first person, there's less of feeling like you're fighting with a sword and more like you're lining up a crosshair and hitting R1, and hoping your attack is in range.
(If you haven't played Oblivion, think melee weapons in Fallout 3 for my example instead. It's pretty much the same.)

It's complex, but not nearly as complex as having to pick and choose so many different things and read a tonne of words just to figure out how to play your character. Demon's Souls just shoves you into the game.

All you need to know is that there's four types of physical damage (and some weapons do two different types depending on R1 or R2) and then there's magic damage and fire damage. Status effects are bleeding, poison, and plague.
You use your head to figure out which enemies are weak to blunt damage, slashing damage, or piercing damage, or magic or fire damage.

PVP can be nasty if you're not prepared to be ambushed by delevelled players who WILL invade your game and kill you if you're not prepared. I didn't like the idea of this so I played offline, but when I got into the game I found myself wanting to play with other people, which is ridiculous because I hate online gaming with a passion.

All of the stuff that makes the game difficult makes it unique at the same time. I've never wandered through an action RPG thinking like I could die at any moment, I'd just pause the game and go through my endless supply of potions or stim packs or whatever. Not so in Demon's Souls. You have to always be ready. If you die, you know what you need to prepare for next time.

I think it was definitely worth buying. I just wish the story was a LITTLE more prevalent, with maybe slightly more character interaction. Most of what you gather about the world seems to be from rare item descriptions. There were also a few short wordless cutscenes. I could have done with a few more of those.
I'd also really like to have known more about the reason for the ending:[spoiler]Why King Allant was such a pussy bitch. He was very vague in his reasoning for wanting the destruction of the world.[/spoiler]
I remember hating the music originally, now I think it's perfect.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3110 on: 8 June 2011, 22:56:31 »

I'd watched my girlfriend's brother play it when it was new, and while I can see that all the stuff you said is true I think I'm better off just watching it be played, really. I might try it down the road but I don't have a PS3 right now anyway.

Next one looks cool(er).

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3111 on: 8 June 2011, 23:14:13 »

Can Black Phantoms join my game as long as I'm alive or only when I invite a Blue Phantom?

Sorry didn't notice this question.
As long as you're alive, they can invade, but not if you're offline.

I'm gonna pre-order Dark Souls.
I just started Oblivion, not that into it yet but I'm getting that it's gonna be a lot of what I got out of Fallout 3.

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #3112 on: 9 June 2011, 06:34:59 »

Can Black Phantoms join my game as long as I'm alive or only when I invite a Blue Phantom?

Sorry didn't notice this question.
As long as you're alive, they can invade, but not if you're offline.

I'm gonna pre-order Dark Souls.
I just started Oblivion, not that into it yet but I'm getting that it's gonna be a lot of what I got out of Fallout 3.

It's a forum, it's not like I'm setting a timer for replies to my questions!

I'm still playing Demon's Souls so I'm not sure about Dark Souls yet but it does look very similar (combat and interface wise) with a dash of more color.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3113 on: 12 June 2011, 00:03:44 »

Just decided to rent L.A. Noire.

I just can't buy it yet because I know I won't be able to really play for a while but at least I can get a taste of the sticky.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3114 on: 17 June 2011, 03:02:51 »

Finished Lair of the Shadow Broker today. You guys were right, it does save Liara's character. In the end she genuinely made my smile.

White Shadow
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #3115 on: 17 June 2011, 04:45:29 »

Finished Lair of the Shadow Broker today. You guys were right, it does save Liara's character. In the end she genuinely made my smile.

hehe
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3116 on: 17 June 2011, 09:56:55 »

hehe

No, I didn't romance her. Whatever she says when you don't is actually more smile-worthy.

White Shadow
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3117 on: 18 June 2011, 06:11:02 »

L.A. Noire was sick.
However I got up to the third disk (XBox 360) during the 3 days I rented it for, which seems pretty quick. Can anyone let me know if the third disk is like a lot longer than the first two or something? If not I could just get away with renting it again and finishing it up.

Basically the third disk kicks in after the first Vice case, for anyone playing it on PS3.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #3118 on: 18 June 2011, 06:50:19 »

I think the game is just shorter than you were expecting - I'm also on the third disc (only did the first case on it so far) and I haven't had a lot of free time lately. Can't wait to finish it, but I've been taking such huge breaks in between game sessions that I'm starting to lose interest.

Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #3119 on: 18 June 2011, 15:32:05 »

I hate it when that happens. I end up starting a new game since I forget #####.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #3120 on: 18 June 2011, 17:19:01 »

It's about a 15-20 hour game if I remember right.

And if you just did the first case on disc 3.. you've got about uh... 8 cases left? Maybe less, I can't remember.

I started to lose interest right at the end of the Vice desk, and then it took me a few days to finally boot it up again and finish it.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3121 on: 23 June 2011, 01:31:53 »

I'm not as into Vice as Homicide, plus as much as your partner on Homicide was an ape, I haven't liked the Vice guy much since he showed up during Traffic. But we'll see.

I know this is really stupid, but I'm at least glad to see some black people in the game finally.
OK that's ridiculous, but it's true.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3122 on: 28 June 2011, 20:01:19 »

By now, I have pretty much all achievements in Mass Effect 2 except the difficulty-related ones. I usually play on normal, but I could up the ante. I did Haestrom on Hardcore just now for the Geth Pulse Rifle.

White Shadow
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #3123 on: 28 June 2011, 21:17:38 »

Insanity isn't too bad until Horizon and the Collector Ship... then it's just annoying as #####.

Easiest way to beat it would be using a Soldier or Infiltrator so you can grab the upgraded Sniper Rifle. Made the game so much easier.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3124 on: 30 June 2011, 04:26:07 »

Playing Soldier is easy-little-tiny-baby-mode and I refuse.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3125 on: 30 June 2011, 22:55:59 »

Cave Story on DSi Ware.  WHY THE HELL IS BLOOD STAINED SANCTUARY SO #####ING HARD?!  More to the point why the ##### is that the ONLY way to finish unlocking the jukebox?  Other than that awesome game.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3126 on: 3 July 2011, 21:16:04 »

Right.

So this weekend my girlfriend and I were gonna finish L.A. Noire together, so we rented it. The guy at the place said they had sort of rent one get the second half-price thing going on so I rented Brink as the second game. Got in, we played a bit of L.A. Noire and then I decided to check out Brink. I open the case...

And Call Of Duty Modern Warfare II is inside. I'm not big into FPSs, regardless of it's hype, so I went back to (I don't want to use it's real name in case they get offended so let's just say it rhymes with:) Schmogers Schmideo and long-annoying-story -I-already-typed-then-decided-to-not-bore-you-with, they didn't have it. They give you the option of a credit to your account or a different game so I rented Homefront.

I knew nothing about it so when I saw it was an FPS about Korea taking over the United States I felt I wasted my time and could have just kept CoD: MW2. I had been duped by a really slick cover design and the promise of rebellion. Anyhow the game is fun I guess, but here's the kicker;

I finished in the story in less than six to eight hours.

I'm sure there's online business but if I can't be arsed to get a Gold account on XBox Live for games I actually loved, why would I for this? I don't know if (or think that) anyone here's played Homefront much, but I wouldn't BUY it at all. It is literally SEVEN chapters levels long and NOT amazing. It's not incredibly well made or anything and it's actually disappointing because the videos and reports about other stuff going on in the world of the game are far more interesting than your actual missions, really. It was a good concept and the opening of the game made me want to get deep into it but it just ends kinda out of the blue, so perhaps a sequel would expand on it.

It controls exactly like Borderlands (which I tried at my friend's place on Friday) and looks like a weird futür-ISH Call Of Duty 3, but it seems like Borderlands knows it's kind of low-rent and plays it up in a fun way, and Call Of Duty probably doesn't drop you like a fat boyfriend.

Do not buy this game full price. Rent or wait or something.
Anyone else play it, or can anyone who may have played Brink let me know if it's any good? While at Schmogers the second time I noticed Brink was made by Bethesda, which only made me want to try it more.

Thankfully, I have the Arson desk of L.A. Noire to play.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #3127 on: 4 July 2011, 04:57:42 »

I heard Brink was disappointing, but that's not really my bag anyway so I'm not the guy to talk to.

Never ever cared for FPS games (save for the rare exception like Half-Life 2 or Metroid Prime) but I can tell you the bulk of their demographic ONLY play the games online. They don't care about single-player campaign modes, and thus the developers don't put any real effort into that stuff.

That being said, I think seven hours for a game is... well, worth my money. Maybe I have different values. I beat Portal 2 in one sitting of eight hours (it was right after finals and I was determined to make use of my newly acquired limited free time before starting production on my student film) and I never once felt cheated. Of course, that game was exceptionally well-made and it also had a co-op mode to delve into afterwards. In the same vein, though, most of the games I buy are generally short, and if they last much longer I lose interest. Still never beat Red Dead Redemption and I think I bailed on LA Noire after getting to Vice (still want to finish it, though.)

I think you're just saying Homefront wasn't a very good game, length notwithstanding. In which case, sure. Then I'm with you.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #3128 on: 4 July 2011, 06:15:04 »

From a genre fan:

There haven't been many FPS games truly worth playing in a long time (only something like 7-8 in the last ten years, compared to at least 15-20 in the five years before that). The genre's just stagnated.

I'll spare you the obnoxiously elitist anti-console-FPS tirade, but in short I blame Halo (there's more to it than that, but it's certainly the biggest target).

As for single-player vs. multiplayer in FPS games: that's something that's slowly degenerated over time as well. I think the biggest reason it started that degeneration is horrible enemy AI in the late '90s, right as the genre (as a whole, not just the really big games like Doom) was beginning to see a respectable player count. No challenge in SP -> take it online, find some people around your level -> much more fun, not to mention team modes (my favourite example: Starsiege Tribes CTF) bringing the competitive aspect to a whole new level.

It's sort of a shame losing most of the extended campaigns, but it's easy to see how it happened.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3129 on: 5 July 2011, 04:25:00 »

Hold on. It's not that Homefront was sort in HOURS, sorry. It's that the game FEELS short, i.e. I've played shorter games that felt longer and more satisfying. I wouldn't care if it only took TWO hours if the two hours had been properly structured. Looking around online, that seems to the be the generally consensus on this game.

The game is actually pretty fun, and the AI is pretty good. It's unfortunately flawed in story however, since every mission has no climax and just builds up to the NEXT mission, which in turn all build up to the LAST mission, which just sort of ends when it ends and you're left kind of dangling for a purpose.

Basically it's problem is was written like a movie instead of a game, which isn't really a surprise when you figure out the plot is basically Red Dawn except with Korea instead of U.S.S.R. and that it was written by the guy what WROTE Red Dawn.

I finished L.A. Noire today and not shockingly it was amazing.
It's worth getting through the initial skepticism that comes with changing to the Vice desk, Alec.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #3130 on: 5 July 2011, 04:52:09 »

Don't worry, I'll power through it. The biggest problem is that I've been insanely busy since buying the game. It's a wonder I've even made it to Vice yet. The free time I have is all on set, which made it easier for me to play Ocarina of Time on my 3DS, snce that's portable and easily playable in short spurts.

Anyway, I believe Homefront is on sale for $25 on Steam. Only saying because it's relevant, but then again you said nobody should really shell out money for it... so... irrelevant?

The Steam Summer Sale is killing me, though. On stupid-consumer-impulse, I already bought the entire Rockstar collection for $40 and Just Cause 2 for $5. My computer won't run some of the games, but I knew that going in - I'm expecting to buy a new (more powerful) computer sometime soon.

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #3131 on: 5 July 2011, 07:33:20 »

You dont even neccesarily need a gaming pc these days w/ how long this current generation lasting. A decent $500 HP or Dell could run most modern games at playable framerates.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #3132 on: 5 July 2011, 18:55:50 »

I've got a particularly #####ty graphics card.

AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #3133 on: 17 July 2011, 22:49:04 »

Just got Maveric Hunter X for my PSP. Haven't started playing yet, but will be soon.

That's nice, dear.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3134 on: 18 July 2011, 04:20:09 »

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3135 on: 24 July 2011, 21:07:28 »

I've been playing the ##### out of Torchlight. Great, simple dungeon crawler. Reminds me of Taskmaker from my childhood, except this game doesn't suck amazing amounts of dick.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3136 on: 24 July 2011, 22:42:47 »

Weirdly, I've been playing The Sims 3...

It was on my computer when I bought it.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3137 on: 27 July 2011, 01:16:02 »

My best efforts at Cave Story get me to the boss in Hell in about 2:45.  I can't even come close to beating the #####er before 4:00.  I had to put it down.  I don't think I'll ever unlock the rest of the sound test.  MOTHER #####ER!!!!

*shakes fist*

I picked up Children of Mana, and I have to say, it's not too bad.  Certainly the first Mana game after Secret of Mana that isn't total ass that I've seen.  I've got about 15 hours in and I'm only on chapter 3.  GRINDING FOR THE WIN!

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3138 on: 27 July 2011, 03:52:15 »

Literally.

Professor Hazard
Noob

« Reply #3139 on: 27 July 2011, 18:28:17 »

I've been neck-deep in Terraria for the past week or so. At first I didn't think I'd like it, but then full-on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder set in, and, well.

c a n ' t
s t o p

c a n ' t
s l e e p

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3140 on: 28 July 2011, 18:57:45 »

Once I get my video card back I'll look into picking up Amnesia Dark Decent.  Been wanting to give that a go for a while.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #3141 on: 29 July 2011, 03:36:36 »

It's worth it on sale. Not for the full $20, IMHO.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3142 on: 29 July 2011, 14:03:06 »

I'm getting the disc version, because ##### paying for digital versions.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #3143 on: 29 July 2011, 16:15:43 »

Even of a PC game?

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3144 on: 31 July 2011, 21:54:17 »

I beat "Adventure" mode in Peggle last night. ##### all y'all!

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3145 on: 2 August 2011, 14:13:35 »

Even of a PC game?

What part of ##### DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION didn't you catch son?

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #3146 on: 2 August 2011, 18:06:50 »

I don't remember what this conversation is about but they have digital distribution on all three major consoles, too, and I really hope that was relevant!

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #3147 on: 3 August 2011, 00:13:07 »

I'm playing a lowish level run on Mario RPG! And I'm balancing Ocarina of Time 3DS, Pokemon Black and a few others here and there.

EDIT- LMAO!! I just jumped on a goomba!! RAAAANDOM LOL :)
Yubi Shines
Robot Master

« Reply #3148 on: 14 August 2011, 08:22:31 »

I periodically wander on Mabinogi. My problem with MMOs is that there's always an OPTIMAL PATH and if you don't do it you might as well reroll your character because RUINED FOREVER, which eh. Mabi mostly lacks that, but there's a couple of things I "have" to do (like rank up certain skills that are impossible to complete if you get too strong too fast) that are unreasonably grindy, even for an MMO, so I haven't progressed much at all.

Right now, playing Animal Crossing: Wild World, which, while fun, gets a bit out of hand, primarily since I'm getting the feeling I'm caught in a turf war between three gangs, one run by Nook's raccoon mafia, the second a racket between Lyle and Redd, and a mysterious third one headed by Lily the frog who lives in my village and keeps sending me off with enigmatic packages and errands and earlier today she handed me a gift and told me not to think too hard about where it came from. Then I accidentally bullied someone else into giving me their carpet for free.

I'm a bit scared.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #3149 on: 14 August 2011, 14:15:20 »

That game sounds AWESOME. I'd be such a renegade.

I've been systematically adding time to all the Humble Bundle games, as well as playing Burnout Paradise (got it from the Origin store), Dirt 3 (got it in a trade online), the first 2 STALKER games, and the occasional Just Cause 2 and Portal 2.

I have too many games to play....

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : What game are you playing?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string