MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 10:22:32
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : When mediocre fan-art meets bad fan-fic...
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: When mediocre fan-art meets bad fan-fic...  (Read 8462 times)
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« on: 26 May 2016, 18:45:16 »

Wow, did anyone think it would be this bad?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/05/26/mega-man-animated-series-will-introduce-alter-ego-new-image-revealed

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2016, 20:02:17 »

*raises hand*

I debated to make this thread when I saw it, but decided someone else would.  I've said lots of angry things about it already.  But Jesus H. Christ, does it look AND sound like hot garbage.

Sounds like the old, awful Dreamwave comic with the school #####.  Isn't this great for the 30th Anniversary?!

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2016, 07:57:15 »

My biggest problem is the color scheme. Every Mega Man has had similar color schemes. This new Mega Man is just dark blue all over with some light blue trims.

Hell, Star Force Mega Man looked more like Mega Man than this thing. And that's sad.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2016, 15:01:22 »

This looks terrible. I'll still check it out, but I don't have any hopes for it.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2016, 19:39:30 »

Surely this megaman will make his enemies cry like an anime nerd on prom night.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2016, 15:34:09 »

Well, he already makes Mega Man's fans cry.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #6 on: 6 June 2016, 00:41:47 »

Why?  Just why.

It looks like crap. 
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2016, 13:47:07 »

That's what they think it's worth, I guess.

I'm over it. I would have hoped they didn't give it some sort of poor attempt at a Batman Beyond-type treatment until at least a season or two after they've launched the thing in the first place, but oh well. Given the level of art I'm looking at they probably need the "It's MegaMan, but cooooler!" type of appearance to hook the kids.

Not going to boycott it or anything but I doubt the show would grab me even if it WAS more faithful, honestly. Lately more and more I've been disillusioned with long-term franchises in general. When even studios like Pixar seem to have peaked, I guess that will do a lot to your sense of optimism for entertainment culture.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2016, 14:46:48 »

Marketing to the lowest common denominator is a big part of the problem.  You don't make something good by making it as generic as possible to make EVERYONE like it.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2016, 21:03:05 »

I would have thought this design was bad when I was fourteen.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2016, 22:16:50 »

Well why didn't you say something earlier?  WHY?!

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2016, 13:07:35 »

Isn't the TMNT animated series respected in retrospect? I look back on that show and it seems pretty generic to me. The fan crowding around it seems like nostalgia-ridden hype. Feel free to take that opinion with a grain of salt; I was born in the late 80s and my experience of it wasn't really firsthand, so I don't see much about the cartoon that makes it inherently better than other 80s cartoons. TMNT was also marketed towards children when the original comic book wasn't. Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion but what I'm wondering is, is there a chance this series could do to MegaMan what the TMNT cartoon did to TMNT?

My gut says no, but there's a part of me wondering if maybe I'm just too attached to OUR idea of MegaMan to think this could succeed.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2016, 21:07:53 »

OUR idea of Mega Man IS LITERALLY what Mega Man IS.  And this abortion is NOT Mega Man.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2016, 06:03:25 »

Not to mention that the team behind this show said "DON'T WORRY GUYS IT'S THE MEGA MAN YOU KNOW AND LOVE LOLOLOL" and then give us this crap.

If they simply said "It's going to be a new version of Mega Man like Battle Network and Star Force and not classic Mega Man" I think there'd be less outrage about this.

Also, apparently the Robot Master names are being changed as well JUST LIKE NT WARRIOR, because THAT wasn't an awful idea.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #14 on: 2 September 2016, 15:28:53 »

If it was just a new version of Mega Man pulling general ideas and designs, I think it would be met with amazing apathy and shurgs.  And some anger at why they'd do that instead of just doing ACTUAL Mega Man instead of frothing insane death hate like it's gotten.  This way they get the best of BOTH worlds though!  They get to do not Mega Man and use general ideas and designs completely wrong AND call it "actual Mega Man" and get the frothing hate.  Everyone wins!

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 3 September 2016, 08:28:20 »

I'm actually surprised there was never really a full classic Mega Man anime ever. I know there was that OVA, and the cutscenes for Mega Man 8 and Super Adventure Rockman but... nothing else.

Hell, I'm surprised the X series didn't get one either.
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2016, 17:27:21 »

I remember reading some old articles that stated Ruby Spears wanted to branch into the X series, if they had the chance to continue working with the property. Same story from Archie Comics about wanting to do the X series if sales didn't sink more than Dive Man's design.

Looking back, it is rather ironic that with how much of a mascot Rockman was to Capcom in the early days due to his general appeal, they never exploited it until after they retired him from starring in games. With how X-TREME the 90s were, an X anime or OVA should have been a no brainer for the higher ups, since it would have printed money by cashing in on the mechanical and action craze that was a major selling point of older animes.

If it was just a new version of Mega Man pulling general ideas and designs, I think it would be met with amazing apathy and shurgs.  And some anger at why they'd do that instead of just doing ACTUAL Mega Man instead of frothing insane death hate like it's gotten.  This way they get the best of BOTH worlds though!  They get to do not Mega Man and use general ideas and designs completely wrong AND call it "actual Mega Man" and get the frothing hate.  Everyone wins!

Capcom wants to put all their money in on this, instead of pushing the next Sonic Boom or Pac-Man: Ghostly Adventures. By this point in time, I'm seriously considering the secret to their CEO's wine is that each bottle is filled with the rage and tears of their former fans, with a pinch of T-Virus extracted from those zombie IP corpses that Capcom allows to shuffles around from time to time.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2016, 02:53:41 »

I'm surprised the Mega Man comics' sales weren't that great. I used to work at a comic book store, and we easily sold out of every issue as soon as they came out (plenty of people with it on their pull lists, plus 20-30 issues extra). It stayed that way until the end of the series.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2016, 03:03:53 »

Well why didn't you say something earlier?  WHY?!

I know, I know... I'll do better next time I'm fourteen.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2016, 17:35:19 »

You're FINISHED.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2017, 02:02:00 »

So, it's been taken down already, but there was a video showing off the cartoon with amazing lines such as "Megamize me!" and "It's Mega time".

what is this i dont even
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #21 on: 29 March 2017, 02:33:45 »

It was more like euthanize me.  Yes, it was somehow even WORSE than any possible prediction could have been.

Posted on: 27 March 2017, 04:07:59

Well there you go.  Try not to vomit too much.

https://vimeo.com/209938214

Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 29 March 2017, 17:19:42 »

Who knows, maybe it'll do good in the world, raising a new generation of children with lower expectations into the franchise.

For me, I'm still waiting for the ultimately superior Mighty No. 9 cartoon to come out.  I hear it's made by Keiji Inafune, the creator of Megaman, so you know it'll be good.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 3 April 2017, 05:40:41 »

Meanwhile, those Kickstarter rewards are still missing...

Posted on: March 29, 2017, 11:33:17 PM

I only just realized they changed the design sort of... It's better than before but still very meh.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 3 April 2017, 18:48:45 »

Missed out on seeing the video but here's a new "article" about this "entertainment"...

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/04/03/new-mega-man-animated-series-announced/

Still looks #####.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #25 on: 3 April 2017, 20:47:11 »

Video doesn't load for me, but I assume it's the same clip that was leaked last week.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 4 April 2017, 18:26:26 »

Actually the videos are now unavailable.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #27 on: 4 April 2017, 20:13:20 »

DAMAGE CONTROL IS OVER 9000!!!  Just give up Man of Action.  This isn't Mega Man, it's the same script you do for all your shows with a Mega Man skin poorly cut up and glued over the top of it.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #28 on: 24 January 2018, 21:09:45 »

this looks so bad just ugh its classic but stupid

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun (mmx3 opening tune intensifies)
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #29 on: 24 January 2018, 22:01:15 »

That would be a good tag line for Capcom as a company these days.

LCrazy11
Sniper Joe

« Reply #30 on: 25 January 2018, 20:04:30 »

heh, Capcom: the old stuff done worse

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun (mmx3 opening tune intensifies)
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : When mediocre fan-art meets bad fan-fic...
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string