MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 08:46:04
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : So is it safe to speak of Mighty No. 9??
Pages: 1 2 » Print
Author Topic: So is it safe to speak of Mighty No. 9??  (Read 15426 times)
StatiicX
Noob

« on: 7 March 2016, 20:57:44 »

Just a thought, the game comes out soon and I just wanted to hear everyones thoughts on it since it is the spiritual successor to MM
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2016, 21:04:38 »

It's safe yes.  My opinion of it has soured SIGNIFICANTLY though.  I am currently not particularly excited or interested in it.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2016, 01:46:56 »

How many times has it been delayed? 

LIke 3 or 4 times?
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2016, 22:28:46 »

3 times, 2 of which were for JUST the online mode having bugs.  The games been done for like a year, but they won't release it because the online co-op garbage mode no one asked for is broken and they can't get it working.

As I said, I have no interest in it anymore.  I may pick up a retail copy used when it hits the $5 mark though.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2016, 03:42:00 »

I keep forgetting it exists, which is really not a good thing. I'm already assuming it's gonna be garbage from playing the betas and demo. It had potential, and it was very much wasted.

Not to mention the game looks pretty damn ugly. 4 million dollars (more than that actually), and we get this garbage. And their excuse for it is pitiful.

They could simply just release the god damn game with the online being buggy as hell or disabled from the start, and then have a patch enable it later. Problem #####ing solved.

Not to mention I can't even get a real physical version of the game despite backing it.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2016, 17:47:55 »

Yeah, it was digital only THEN they said "hey we're doing physical now" dispite lots of people saying they wanted a retail/physical option from the get go which got us a "steam digital online only copy on a thumb drive" option.  Seriously, what the living #####?  That's in no way a physical version of the game since it's Steam, which just treats it like a different type of download.  It acts like a digital copy in every other way.

Anyway, I know looks shouldn't count to how a game is judged, but given what other 3D looks like, and how other 2.5D games have looked, there is no getting around how ugly MN9 is.  And that's extremely unfortunate.  It all just goes into a big disappointment.

Now the BIG question is, how bad will the new Mega Man game based on the new cartoon be?  I know nothing has been announced, but it's the only logical next step.  You know there will be a tie in game to the new cartoon, and I bet you it will be a brilliant level of awful.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2016, 05:20:36 »

I really hope not, but seeing how Sonic Boom is getting another game despite how awful the last two were, I guess it's probably inevitable.

At the very least, we can try to hope that the cartoon will actually be good, and possibly any game based on that will at least be decent.

And if there's ever a Mega Man 11, I'd actually want them to get Inti Creates on it like 9 and 10. Though I can see Capcom throwing the game to some random ass team that have no idea what they're doing and then get a half-assed game. Like the Legacy Collection.

Then it'll sell bad and it's somehow our fault again.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2016, 17:10:51 »

We're in the home stretch now...

I hope it's good, the almost total lack of improvement between the 2 preview versions we got concerns me though.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2016, 14:28:11 »

It's dead to me.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2016, 18:43:51 »

I think the new trailer is the nail in the coffin.

I won't put the link here... if you haven't seen it, count yourself lucky and move on.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2016, 20:04:50 »

The coffin was 89% nails at this point anyway...

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2016, 15:14:13 »

Just a fair warning, to the one or two who may see this, but there are rumors going about that the Wii U version may brick consoles, or damages the storage device used to play the game.

But hey! In the words of Inafune himself about Mighty No. 9's release, "It's better than nothing."

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2016, 19:35:18 »

In case you’re not following the night’s events.

•     Codes were sent out through Humble Bundle
  •     No email was sent, and codes were in a weird place to start with
  •     DLC codes wrong, two copies of ‘Retro Hero’ were given, no Ray DLC
  •     WiiU version of the game barely works, causes hardlocking of console
  •     360 version delayed outright
  •     Official Website not updated since before February, still says game is being released February 9th
  •     Some sort of problem with PS4 physical? Like some places didn’t get it.

Source: https://tmblr.co/Zjjmxo28DvfpD
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2016, 16:47:10 »

Yes, it's a glorious train wreck.  Did anyone think it wouldn't be?  MN9 really had some potential, but my god they screwed the pooch in EVERY possibly way.  I'm in no rush to buy this thing, but if I do, I'm going with the PS4 version.  Though I read the RAY DLC isn't even on the disc, but just a voucher to download it.  Disappointing as hell.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2016, 01:53:07 »

The game is painfully mediocre.
It's not god awful... But it's not great either.

It's more or less a mix of X5, 6 and 8. Disappointing, cheap level design, cheap boss fights, weird physics because lol3D, etc.

I would rate it either a 5 or a 6 out of 10. Lots of potential, horrible execution.

If they make a sequel, there's a chance it'll be actually good. As long as it's not a Kickstarter project.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 11 July 2016, 21:16:32 »

I knew I wasn't into it anymore very early on in the project when I saw 2.5D gameplay, I'm happy and lucky I didn't back it, but it bums me out that it will likely make people shy away from crowd funding projects like this. The whole thing with the delays and the ton of money makes it seem like they just knew they'd make money and rested on their laurels. They had the time and cash flow to do something great, and they settled for less than mediocre. I won't be playing this, it's disgusting. It was supposed to be a passion project, by professionals. You got a money-grab that's only as good as a fan game, you should be enraged.

My hope is that Yooka-Laylee does not suffer the same fate. I actually backed that one, but so far so good.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2016, 22:18:43 »

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night looks amazing so far.  It's what MN9 SHOULD have been as far as quality and passion for the series/material it's carrying on for.

TriggerUNIT
Noob

« Reply #17 on: 14 July 2016, 04:46:09 »

Been a couple years...

I found this release to be... Depressing at the very least. $4,000,000 and five delays later, and I feel as though I'm but merely one hair follicle on the unwashed anus of a rancid, expired joke three years in the making. This was so disappointing on so many levels. It wasn't just about the game, this was supposed to be the product of a real life epic, a passionate artist against the mundane and greedy corporate suites. Yet it fell flat on its face, and not even to a jaw dropping way. In more of a... Lack luster eyed, slowly widdling away at one's hope only to be forgotten kind of way... Is it gross? Yes. Is it undeniably a scam of fenominal proportions? Yes. However, above all other things, I think this is most all... Just sad. Heartbreaking.

This may seem rather silly, but with how barren this place has been, I think it's rather obvious that life takes us all at some point. Megaman had a special place in my childhood, now I'm getting old... It had been years since I picked up a controller and actually invested in a video game with any urgency, too busy with work and bills and social relations. Let alone getting actually excited for something like this... And that's the real disappointment for me, right there. I felt bright eyed and childish, a mixture of being the adult I am, reveling in the politics behind this that I now understand, and the kid looking forward to the product that should have been symbolic, a proof of principle, and just damn fun. But that was taken from all of us that put faith in Keiji, and his team of professionals. We just didn't get that... And while there are plenty of teams fighting for gaming to be recognized as an art form, the most notable players on the field seem to prove time and time again that corporate deceit ad capita is the name of the game and the passion is dying, suffocating beneath balled up dollar bills...

Sad... Just sad...

See clearly through the eyes of insanity.
http://sologun15.freeforums.org/index.php
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 18 July 2016, 01:58:06 »

Mighty No. 9 was basically soulless.

It tried to be Mega Man and then also tried to NOT be Mega Man. In doing so, it became a mediocre pile of #####.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #19 on: 18 July 2016, 15:25:32 »

It really is a bookend to Capcom's amazing program of Megacide.  Capcom won't give us any Mega Man, and anything we do get isn't a game, or is of such vomit inducing no care/time/effort put into it (cough*xover*cough*mmxmobileport*) that it's more of a "##### You" to the fans.  MN9 was suppose to do what Capcom won't, but it really turned into an even bigger train wreck.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2017, 15:41:56 »

So, Beck is back in the sequel to Mighty Gunvolt, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, which probably will end up being more playable than MN9. It at least looks prettier than it, at least.

Honestly seems like Inti Creates is trying to undo the MN9 ##### up while having Concept be as far away from it as possible.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 28 June 2017, 07:37:56 »

Is it any good? It looks better than MN9 at the very least. Though that 8 bit rendition of MN9's boss theme kind of ... fails to have anything about it that I actually like about 8 bit music. It sounds completely bland. Like a bad remix of a song that's already too repetitive for the stretches of time in which it gets drawn out in its original game.

But it looks like it controls a bit... better? And that customization mechanic looks like it's just "Here, YOU balance the game if you think you know so much." though that might be better than the alternative?

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #22 on: 28 June 2017, 21:09:21 »

I'm just not into anything MN9 so far.  It's got potential, but noting has used it so far IMO.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 30 June 2017, 23:04:07 »

I actually really like Mighty Gunvolt Burst, definitely much more polished than MN9 was. The levels don't feel like a chore, and you're not forced to use the Burst mechanic at all. The customization options for Beck make it a lot of fun with different play styles.

I think my only problem I had was the bosses have a lot of health at first, but once you start using their weaknesses and boosting your attack power it's not as bad.

It feels and plays like an actual Mega Man clone rather than a flawed one.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #24 on: 5 July 2017, 14:07:31 »

It's also only digital right now, so I will never check it out.  I'm not bothered at all about that in this case.

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #25 on: 13 July 2017, 01:45:09 »

There may be a small possibility that it will be bundled with the Gunvolt double-pack that will release in August or September for the Switch.

MGB is the game people wished for when backing MN9 years ago, though I'd recommend it on the Switch before 3DS due to the excellent use of HD Rumble.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #26 on: 13 July 2017, 14:07:21 »

The Switch's one flaw is no d-pad in handheld mode, and the pro controller has the d-pad in the lower xbox position, which is extremely uncomfortable to use for 2D games, as Cave Story+ is making painfully clear.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 20 July 2017, 15:14:07 »

Is Burst like Mighty Gunvolt 1 in that it's supremely short? Like it get it was a nothing throw but when I played there was like 4 levels or something and nothing carried over when I switched characters (which meant restarting everything). I felt like my game wasn't working properly since others seemed to enjoy it.

If Burst is better I might consider picking it up, though I hate what Beck represents and Inti Creates can suck an egg.
« Last Edit: 6 September 2017, 13:57:11 by Mikero » Logged

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 20 July 2017, 21:42:28 »

Burst has about 12 levels, if I remember right. The 8 robots + 4 final levels.

The only things that get carried between saves are the icons you unlocked, which are useless really. All the unlockables are in the same place too.

But aside from that I found it more fun than the last Mighty Gunvolt.
SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #29 on: 22 July 2017, 14:28:11 »

We're also getting free character DLC with Ekoro starting on the 27th, and she'll be free for the following two weeks, and then just $1.99 for late adopters.

The Switch has really made me fall in love with Intricreates all over again, since Blaster Master Zero is really solid, as well as all the free characters that mix the game up, and now Mighty Gunvolt Burst is probably the most solid Megaman style game since MM10 hit over half a decade ago. Really interested in seeing how the Gunvolt double pack with revised gameplay and 60 FPS works out in August when they bring it to the Switch.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 27 July 2017, 00:53:50 »

They also added swapping custom loadouts on the fly with L/R which is something I was hoping they would add...

The Switch's one flaw is no d-pad in handheld mode, and the pro controller has the d-pad in the lower xbox position, which is extremely uncomfortable to use for 2D games, as Cave Story+ is making painfully clear.

Apparently there's a $25 controller with a better placed d-pad coming out. Might just pick that up over the 70 dollar Pro controller.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #31 on: 27 July 2017, 17:51:12 »

I don't do 3rd party controllers.  Ever.

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #32 on: 27 July 2017, 23:31:11 »

You'll miss out on that one, since Hori has almost become first-party quality when it comes to Nintendo products. Though it is sad that it's just a recolor of the existing Wii U controllers that dropped to $10-$15 at local Gamestops. Means no gyro or the amazing HD rumble, and only really being useful for Pokken and VC titles.

As far as Mighty No. 9 goes, it just hit this week's Hunble Bundle. I snatched it up with some other games for $4.06, which is likely better than the $2.50 I was thinking of paying for it on the recent Steam sale.

Also seen that backers have just now got their physical versions without the actual game and just a flat box, a manual, and a music CD years after the fact. At least it's something, I guess?

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #33 on: 30 July 2017, 06:05:02 »

It's better than nothing.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 21 August 2017, 08:03:41 »

I still haven't even gotten mine yet!

I'm going to assume it's lost forever. Oh well, not like I wanted a reminder of the amount of money I blew backing it.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #35 on: 21 August 2017, 14:22:57 »

You can not escape your shame.  It is listed in the credits.  FOREVER.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #36 on: 21 August 2017, 18:37:04 »

I'm in there too and I'm not ashamed at all.

Being one of the few who doesn't hate the game completely, I mean.

I don't really have an argument for why, it's just that in my opinion it hits most of the things that I wanted a MegaMan game to hit, and moreover it surprised me in a couple of places, and charmed me in others. It misses or is otherwise imperfect on some things I was willing to write off not just for having paid $20, but having done so a long enough time ago that I don't even miss the money.

So... subjective reasons I guess. I don't know if it'll have that same appeal the next time I play it.

Even if I didn't like it I don't think I'd be ashamed, though. Something about fooling me once.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #37 on: 22 August 2017, 09:44:29 »

You can not escape your shame.  It is listed in the credits.  FOREVER.

Actually, I never even got the email to confirm my name or whatever it was so my name in the credits is "A Generous Backer".
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #38 on: 22 August 2017, 14:16:48 »

You know who you are.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #39 on: 1 September 2017, 03:40:38 »

I finally got all my backer stuff. Sad how both the shirt and the fake box were much higher quality than the game itself.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #40 on: 1 September 2017, 16:32:53 »

Ah, your badge of shame arrives!  At least the manual fits in it.

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #41 on: 2 September 2017, 02:36:08 »

This whole ordeal leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like that gross bitter taste of pills pleh. Goddamn it Inafune.
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #42 on: 2 September 2017, 05:12:51 »

Well we've always got Red Ash to look forward to.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #43 on: 3 September 2017, 04:25:51 »

The anime short wasn't all that bad, but as to the game... not expecting anything.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #44 on: 6 September 2017, 14:38:20 »

I finally got all my backer stuff. Sad how both the shirt and the fake box were much higher quality than the game itself.

So, is it better than nothing or does it make you cry like an anime fan on prom night?

White Shadow
Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #45 on: 6 September 2017, 20:18:41 »

WS, you made me giggle.

So is it safe to say that Inafune isn't all that great at this whole game thing?

Love that man's designs at least.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #46 on: 6 September 2017, 21:45:43 »

So, is it better than nothing or does it make you cry like an anime fan on prom night?

I think at this point I would prefer nothing.

So is it safe to say that Inafune isn't all that great at this whole game thing?

I mean, considering that he thought the Mega Man Zero series was a good idea probably should've tipped us off. That plus his weird need to make sidescrollers in 3D like Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X.

Hell, Mega Man 9 was even going to be 3D at one point.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #47 on: 6 September 2017, 22:18:12 »

The CONCEPT of MN9 was good.  The designs aren't that bad either all in all.  It was a solid Mega Man clone in concept.  Execution ##### the bed though, sadly.

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #48 on: 6 September 2017, 22:42:17 »

I mean, considering that he thought the Mega Man Zero series was a good idea probably should've tipped us off. That plus his weird need to make sidescrollers in 3D like Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X.

Hell, Mega Man 9 was even going to be 3D at one point.

Right, I forgot he considered MMZ to be his magnum opus.

Also why the 3D? I would like to know the logic behind that. 2D sprite based games have proven themselves to be highly lucrative*. It's like they are stuck in the PS2 era of thinking.

3D sidescrollers always feel clunky. And your character is always massive.

*I really should use my spriting skills and ideas for games. Snare needs to get paid.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #49 on: 6 September 2017, 23:00:07 »

3D "2D" games are #####.  The camera angle is always wonky and it never feels as tight as a good actual made in 2D 2D game.

Pages: 1 2 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : So is it safe to speak of Mighty No. 9??
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string