MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 21:48:35
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : 20XX on Steam
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: 20XX on Steam  (Read 3456 times)
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« on: 25 November 2014, 13:42:29 »

Just saw this, whaddya think?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322110/?snr=1_4_4__122

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2014, 17:27:46 »

Steam?  Ugh.  ##### that.  Other than that, it reminds me of Contra where if Player 1 was being a dick and just going faster than you, Player 2 dropped of the stage and died.  Looks extremely "flashy".

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #2 on: 2 December 2014, 10:28:03 »

Does look a bit homemade but I'll pick it up at some point.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2014, 08:22:22 »

Yeah, it looks enticing enough to keep an eye on. I don't care for betas or early access, though.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2014, 20:18:10 »

If I want a home madey Mega Manish game, I'll stick to TWENTY EKSTY SIX!

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2014, 10:47:04 »

Well, it IS early access. I'm not knocking it because I'm not sure what's finalized.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2014, 19:10:07 »

I like the spirit of it, and people seem to like it, but I'm not into the flash animation look. That tweeny movement is way too outdated at this point.

narnar
Noob

« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2015, 13:00:31 »

I love this   :)

Panda
Sniper Joe

« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2015, 10:42:17 »

I love you, narnar. I love you.
Dragster
Metall

« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2015, 08:15:59 »

Honestly, as a homage to the old Megaman X titles, it looks pretty darn cool. As people have stated the graphics could use a bit more work though.
I'm not sure how I feel about early access though... It's being horribly abused these days and I don't think this game will benefit from an "open beta" stage. They could have just worked on it under the radar until it reached a more finished state before releasing it. I think that would drastically increase it's chances of surviving in the jungle known as the Steam store.
I'll keep my eye on it!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2015, 14:40:55 »

Steam = no "buy" ever.  The fact it looked extremely meh certainly didn't help it.

SB
Sniper Joe

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2015, 04:24:56 »

Had horrible expectations of it over the art style they had, and this thread didn't help get me excited for this game. Almost as if on cue, one of the Youtubers I follow showcased the latest version with an overhauled art style and more refined mechanics, and it actually looked fun.

$10 and about 7 hours later, I can say that this is more or less Megaman X meets Network Transmission, with rogue-like elements of gameplay since I guess that's what the kids like these days. Randomized levels and bosses, whom you beat and get a weapon from that can act as a weakness to another boss on your randomized play. Weaknesses are set in stone, but the order bosses load in is not, just dictated by the stage.

Control wise, it feels basically like an X game. They refined it just yesterday to have more or less spot on dash mechanics finally, as it originally ignored gravity, allowing antics like sliding over pits, gaining air if you dashed towards the top of a slope, and wonky physic bugs like dashing into a stable object while on a falling platform. Nina is the name of the X character, and she handles just like armorless X would in later games. Ace is the name of the Zero character, who has charge saber, as well as combos. Both characters have default weapon variants that can randomly load into your runs if you take challenge paths, ranging from stuff like spears / glaive / axe for Ace, to shotgun buster / tri-beam / Cardinal Shot (shoots 4 directions around character), and even Metroid's Wave Beam, complete with same name and effects.

The objective is to simply try to make it to the end of the 8th stage and live, and you encounter beefed up enemies once per stage that can drop the equivelant of Bolts in MM8. Your hub has a random set of 3 items you can buy with said bolts, ranging from things like air dash / double jump / extra primary weapons to swap out during runs. These are merely unlocked for you to find in the maps as you do runs, as well as possible boss rewards for beating the stage and boss under a time limit.

Also has the Halo Skull system to make things harder to your liking. They got one called "Rock" that makes spikes and bottomless falls instant death, with a note about "Remember your roots" as a nice nod to the true MM games.

Since I'm whoring by this point with praises, it also has couch and online co-op. Co-op just has the screen pull farther apart instead of causing any real issues from what I've seen so far in videos and the like. Pretty much the X series co-op you may have always wanted, but knew you'd never get.

The devs are basically making a better Megaman Unlimited than Capcom would have pushed out by this point in time, and I say give it a shot sometime. $10 now, expected to go up to $15 in June or so due to the devs constantly meeting update deadlines every two weeks (advertised by ingame counter on the title screen), and it just shows that the devs were fans that took inspiration and ran with it. Or wait til it hits bargain bins with the first big Steam sale and save like 15 minutes worth of wages by waiting a year or so, since tis tradition with Steam.

Shape the world you live in, instead of letting others define it for you. Stop being reactive and become proactive, and leave a legacy worth remembering, since only you personally decide the limits of your greatness.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2020, 23:30:55 »

6 years later this is free on Epic now:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/20xx/home

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2020, 21:10:47 »

And that's STILL over priced!

Zan
Noob

« Reply #14 on: 2 August 2020, 10:24:58 »

it's cross-platform with Steam if anyone wants to do some coop  ;D
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 4 August 2020, 21:12:34 »

Always looked horrible to me, happy to pick it up for free.

Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : 20XX on Steam
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string