MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
26 April 2024, 23:39:39
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : Thank You MMM
Pages: 1 2 » Print
Author Topic: Thank You MMM  (Read 25107 times)
Zenaku
Metall

« on: 30 September 2013, 06:26:45 »

I'm feeling a little sappy and nostalgic tonight so I've decided to pay tribute to the community that made me who I am today.

I can't remember how or even when (8? 10 years?) I came across the blue checkered floors of the MBoard. I was a kid. A legitimate child. I grew up with the MMX series and only really played X1 and X3 and the BN games. I remember lurking around under the guise of Guest before taking the plunge and finally registering under Chaud21xx. Seems appropriate now considering my history with MegaMan but back then it was just because I thought Chaud was the ##### and the original name was taken.

Even as a registered user I remember continuing my habits of never posting and never contributing. As a 10 something year old child I was deeply afraid of being judged by these adults who took pleasure in casting out those who "talk3d lyk this" and abbreviated you as "u". I remember pouring over user posts trying to understand and mimic the styles of the respected community members. Eventually something gave way and I started to post. I knew I had to type properly or else I would be crucified and so I did. While my friends at that age were typing like "idiots" there I was, capitalizing my letters and adding proper punctuation to my sentences. Eventually this became a habit of mine and I began to converse with people who I thought were way older and smarter than I was.  

Soon enough I was engrossed in the community. A vast majority of my time was spent between these blue walls and I loved it. I've met some of the smartest (I'm looking at you Delta), most cynical (Insert all the old guard here), talented (Morgan... You brilliant artist you!), funniest (Someone linked me the fake essays MastaFuu wrote back in the day and was surprised when I told him I knew the creator from long ago) people here in the forums and all of you helped shape my childhood for the better. I wasn't exactly unpopular in school or a loner by any means, but I always found myself happier surrounded by the blue glow of my monitor.

Years passed and as the MegaMan series that brought us all together peaked and fell we stayed together (mostly) as a single community. People moved on as they do but there was always new blood fresh for the harvest. Eventually a select few of these newbies would be welcomed into the fold and we would converse about everything as though we were old friends.

In a perfect world I would still be on the blue checkered floors to this day conversing with everyone about the next MegaMan game or making an ass out of a newbie. Unfortunately all MegaMan empires must fall someday, and while MMM remained strong for many years, it too eventually succumbed to the ravages of time.

What we have now is a relic. A message board about a singular video game series with no links to any semblance of social media. It's old, dilapidated and relatively empty, but, when I look at it I still see the shiny blue checkered hallways that lit up my monitor and consumed much of my childhood. Friendships have been forged, broken and then wrought anew in this domain and I owe a large part of who I am today to it.

So thank you MegaMan Matrix. Thank you for being both a home and a teacher I didn't know I needed. Thank you to everyone who magically came together to form this razor sharp edged community of cynics and fanatics. When I'm going through rough times I always seem to find myself looking back at MMM and really cherishing the chance I had to experience this community and everything it had to offer.

If you're ever around my parts and want to have a drink or something feel free to find me on the Facebook group (Sorry Abe! The offer still stands for the curmudgeons who refuse to use Facebook though!).

Thanks for everything MMM.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2013, 06:35:58 by Zenaku » Logged
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2013, 08:44:34 »

Beautifully put.

Last time, I did the numbers, it's been over 10 years. A lot has changed since then. Which is a shame. I'd love to still be playing old school Megaman games, making sprites and seeing people do fanart of our avatars..

White Shadow
Delta
Metall

« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2013, 13:32:52 »

D'awwww...

Delta
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2013, 14:58:02 »

What a wonderful post. That brought back so many memories. And you're right, this place taught me how to type... and how to not be a prick on the internet.

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2013, 21:42:21 »

I remeber back in the mChat Room days, most internet fun I had in a LONG time.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Delta
Metall

« Reply #5 on: 1 October 2013, 01:02:46 »

Strangely enough, this is precisely the place where I learned to be a prick on the internet.

Delta
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 1 October 2013, 21:54:21 »

Strangely enough, this is precisely the place where I learned to be a prick on the internet.

Haha, same. Pretty sure for DZX9 as well.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 2 October 2013, 20:42:42 »

Great post, mang. Haven't seen you for a long while.

I also learned how to type properly because of this place. I specifically remember Ares getting me to do it.

#####, when I was younger I told myself that I would still come here and post everyday. I feel bad when I remember this place and then don't come to check for new posts...

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #8 on: 3 October 2013, 02:23:46 »

Great post, mang. Haven't seen you for a long while.

I also learned how to type properly because of this place. I specifically remember Ares getting me to do it.

#####, when I was younger I told myself that I would still come here and post everyday. I feel bad when I remember this place and then don't come to check for new posts...

Your not missing much. xD

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #9 on: 5 October 2013, 02:06:31 »

Awww.  Thanks.
Jakey
Robot Master

« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2013, 01:19:19 »

I love all of you beautiful people <3

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2013, 19:00:25 »

NATURE VS NUTURE

I am unconvinced.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2013, 16:59:17 »

Very nicely put, I doubt I'll ever have as much fun (or as much of a headache) on the internet as this place has provided over the years :D

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2013, 22:26:32 »

I love you guys.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2013, 12:37:24 »

I've always hated you. And everyone. And this website. And Mega Man.
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2013, 21:52:35 »

Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 30 October 2013, 12:33:10 »

Dude... I've been doing social network ##### for so long that I was just looking for the 'like' button to click on your post...
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2013, 14:08:00 »

Ugh, social media killed the mboard, and Capcom killed Mega Man.

Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 1 November 2013, 15:39:25 »

Real-talk; I actually kinda stopped using Mboard when I started using facebook.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2013, 08:03:09 »

If it weren't for this place, I wouldn't have my daughter or my husband. I also have many friends that I communicate more openly and frequently with than some of my family members, and a strong sense of internet ettiquette. On top of it all, I was actually introduced to MegaMan because of this place after being brought here by a friend.

I love that I can still come on here, even if it's not especially active. It's kind of like an old playground where you can come and sit on the squeaky swing and think, with the added benefit of there being someone else here sometimes.

Sometimes.

That's nice, dear.
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2014, 09:08:09 »

I don't know if I would say this place had a huge impact on my life, but I do remember I spent a LOT of time here starting at... What? 14 or 15? Either way, about ten years ago. I know I spent a lot of that time being a jackass. I'd like to think that's no longer the case. I ended up coming here tonight because I remembered I had a photobucket, and going through that I found a lot of things that reminded me of this place and I couldn't help but wonder what the state of this place was, and how the people here were.

If it weren't for this place, I wouldn't have my daughter or my husband. I also have many friends that I communicate more openly and frequently with than some of my family members, and a strong sense of internet ettiquette. On top of it all, I was actually introduced to MegaMan because of this place after being brought here by a friend.

I love that I can still come on here, even if it's not especially active. It's kind of like an old playground where you can come and sit on the squeaky swing and think, with the added benefit of there being someone else here sometimes.

Sometimes.

Holy crap, you got married and have a kid? I mean, I guess I SHOULDN'T be surprised. It's not like you're the only person I used to know who ended up married with children, but still. I guess it's because I left for so long and have no context for who any of you people are now. Congratulations, incidentally.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 25 January 2014, 12:46:34 »

I know I spent a lot of that time being a jackass.

I still missed you.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 25 January 2014, 19:40:23 »

I still missed you.

That's sweet. Deep down, I still miss that great, big, bushy, beard. Also Mikero, 'cause that guy was the coolest. And ASR and Windy because one of my favorite jokes to make in comic jams was confusing the two of them.

Also just this place in general since there were a lot of really cool, really nice, people.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2014, 23:59:19 »

It's why I still check it, every single day.

71 clocked days of online time, I'm still in the lead!

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 29 January 2014, 22:55:07 »

If my tablet wasn't broken I think I'd try my hand at starting up a new comic jam.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 11 February 2014, 01:14:58 »

If your tablet wasn't broken I think I'd try to ruin a new comic jam.
Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 15 February 2014, 16:55:29 »

If my tablet wasn't broken, then I could reply to a comic jam you've ruined to tell you you've ruined it.
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2014, 06:57:31 »

My tablet is just fine, but I don't want to worry about maintaining my #####posting reputation.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #28 on: 26 February 2014, 14:53:48 »

We will never have a good comic jam.  EVER.

Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 26 February 2014, 23:07:30 »

Did we ever have a good one?
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #30 on: 8 March 2014, 02:44:57 »

Hokay.

There's a reason I haven't chimed into this thread yet. I wanted to wait until I could really absorb it and reflect, and post properly. I'm glad Chaud created this thread because I'd been thinking some of these things for a while.

I don't have a ton to write about it truthfully, but I never did do anything fast and easy did I?

There's many memories I have of this place but the resounding thought I have of MMM is more of a feeling than anything else. Like many of you I came here at a fairly formative time in my life. Like some of you I came in with a terrible screen name (not that I have a good one now).

I was here before I knew Photoshop. I was here before I realized I could do art and animation for a living. These are things that now comprise so much of my life that I breathe them.

I didn't know I could have friends--People I actually call friends when I actually speak of them in my actual non-digital actual life--that I'd never physically met.

A part of me really did grow up here and learn that I could actually speak my mind if I wanted to. It might sound alien that an internet forum let me find a voice rather than destroy it, but such is the case. I've found that the world outside MMM actually falls short in that regard, and so it is lesser.

A big reason I didn't post this until now was that when I was moving I had to go through all my stuff since childhood. And I found something that really touched me.

[spoiler]
clickup[/spoiler]

Now, I want to say that I absolutely hate everything about this drawing and would never in my right mind post this now if it weren't for what it's existence means to me.
I don't think I ever told anybody about it. I know I've done this kind of thing since, but at the time this was a huge undertaking for me and I was very jazzed about it. The whole thing was going to be coloured and have EVERYONE I could think of.

You might see that you are missing from this. You aren't. Unfortunately, I only found these two pages. There was at least 2 more pages involved. Abe was to be the centre, with the mods. A page on the left of MH Alia included at the least Speed, Lunchebox, ASR, NovaMan, Jake, Sano, and myself. Mikey, Morgan, DZX9, Edge, Chaud, TLO, Ares, orclev, and others appeared on further pages.

For some people this was before their time and they weren't pictured, but if I didn't name you it doesn't mean you were left out (I mean Sano got it, right?) I'm just not sure where you ended up or even when this was drawn. I assume John, Majikn, and Vinch were there because I can't imagine it being right without them.

Since first coming I've been subjected to, and have become every single kind of person there is and it's an experience that is indelible. It's always like coming home again, even now, when I see that trademark blue-blue-blue pattern.

I honestly don't believe I would have done half the stuff in my life without your guys' constant support, friendship, and bickering and I can't imagine doing half of the upcoming stuff without you.

I hate that my old drawings look like this, I hate that I have even worse stuff. I HATE that I have worse stuff that came AFTER this, but I love you MMM. Thanks.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 11 March 2014, 01:59:00 »

##### yeah

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 12 March 2014, 17:17:28 »

Mike, I feel very similarly, but am not a word smith of your caliber.

So,
##### yeah

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #33 on: 13 March 2014, 02:32:52 »

i'm going to post a long-winded thing akin to mike later BUT FOR NOW

bask in this fun memory from 2008

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 18 March 2014, 06:45:40 »

I don't know if I have much to say about this place (even though I've been here for 10 years of my life) but I also have something to share:

I keep this in my signature here and on other forums. Man. I wish I finished this.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2014, 22:05:13 by Vinchenz Rock » Logged

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 18 March 2014, 15:36:39 »

Alec, that was 2008...?

Wow. Great memories though, I loved that.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #36 on: 19 March 2014, 06:17:56 »

Alec, that was 2008...?

I know right? Holy #####.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #37 on: 26 March 2014, 19:39:04 »

Let's all make new memories together at Abe's new...

MIGHTY NO9 MATRIX!!!!!

HECK YEA!

Panda
Sniper Joe

« Reply #38 on: 3 April 2014, 12:34:58 »

You might see that you are missing from this. You aren't.

I am. :(

MIGHTY NO9 MATRIX!!!!!
Hahaha, yes! I can't wait for the new Mighty Matrix!
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #39 on: 3 April 2014, 15:15:50 »

Man, I still yearn to play one of the MMM games that have come around in all this time.

I still yearn to dunk a basketball autonomously.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #40 on: 9 April 2014, 00:48:27 »

Mike, that picture is still a billion times better than anything I ever drew so don't be too down on your past skill level!

Mighty No. 9 Matrix eh...?

If I had the time and cash then I'd do it, but that goes for resurrecting MMM as well!

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #41 on: 14 April 2014, 16:00:28 »

Time?  You have nothing BUT time my good man.  The game doesn't come out for like, a YEAR!

Money?  Everyone here will donate a dollar and you'll be set for years!  I suspect you'll have to build a money bin to hold it all, in fact.  But please, no swimming in it.

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #42 on: 19 May 2014, 10:37:45 »

Time?  You have nothing BUT time my good man.  The game doesn't come out for like, a YEAR!

Money?  Everyone here will donate a dollar and you'll be set for years!  I suspect you'll have to build a money bin to hold it all, in fact.  But please, no swimming in it.

I'd donate.

White Shadow
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #43 on: 4 June 2014, 23:31:51 »

My dollars are Canadian...

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #44 on: 5 June 2014, 14:41:58 »

And thus worthless.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #45 on: 7 June 2014, 03:59:52 »

i just dip them in food coluring and shop in ameruca so jokes on you

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Delta
Metall

« Reply #46 on: 20 June 2014, 02:26:08 »

And thus worthless.

At least our debit and credit cards have chips in them!

Delta
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #47 on: 20 June 2014, 17:41:24 »

It warms the bivalves of my black heart that Rez would have made that same reply ten years ago, but back then he would have been correct.

My heart is black because it's a ninja not negroness but also that.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #48 on: 21 June 2014, 09:57:57 »

Upon closer inspection I want to change my answer. Back when I was in high school. I used to visit this place every day, and it was easily the highlight of my day most of the time. I was going through a lot of crap at the time and it was nice to come someplace where that stuff didn't matter, and I could act like I was kind of a bog deal, and I could joke around and draw whatever, and get real praise and critique on it. Mikero was easily one of the best people I have collaborated whether it was in a Comic Jam, or just clowning around. Rezzo was always fun too, and Delta, and pretty much everyone here. Even the people I didn't get along with were great. I think this site is kind of why I never got crazy with drugs and drinking like other members of my family did.

It's a shame I kinda fell out of contact with everyone and got too busy and too "adult" to come back.  The first girl I ever really loved I met here. It's kind of crazy.  I didn't really appreciate this board,  but it's a great place with great people.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #49 on: 21 June 2014, 14:28:18 »

luv u 2 bae
Pages: 1 2 » Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : Thank You MMM
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string