MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
26 April 2024, 07:56:01
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  The Creation Station  |  : Popped Art
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Popped Art  (Read 2056 times)
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« on: 17 April 2013, 14:45:14 »

This is my recent installation project.

http://vimeo.com/62613293

If you don't like it please tell me why. I like to hear these things.

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2013, 00:37:22 »

I like some of it. I think the pace is too slow on the video though.

I'd rather see it in person, but the reward is a cool way to keep people looking at all the small things.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Jakey
Robot Master

« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2013, 07:07:04 »

I really liked the individual pieces: the murals, the man tapping his foot, the "broken jpg" portrait, even the little yarn marionette. The rest seemed a bit contrived. I have a hard time appreciating the chaotic aesthetic, mostly because it seems to be the only theme anyone at my school can create. It just seems lazy to me to say "art is dead." Just my opinion. Like I said, loved the pieces by themselves. It's the atmosphere I don't like.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2013, 05:31:50 »

Dude, I dig it. Nanners everywhere? You betcha.
I've always wanted to try doing an installation, but the inspiration never really came. Seems like a really dope way to do your art though, so maybe one day I'll try it. I want to try it all.

Anyway about YOURS: The video could have been faster, as John mentioned, but the pace did help to take it all in so it walks the line. I looked back at it a few times to take it all in. I really liked the murals and the foot-tappy-man, but that's sort of obvious since those are so much louder and draw the eye in. The murals were super frenetic, which is what I liked most about them.

I can see where Jake finds some of it contrived, I think that might be due to there being SO much that stuff like "Maamma DaDa" written on a wall is kind of less valuable, like you flooded the market with points.

Anytime there's a toilet in an installation people are gonna be divided between thinking it's well smart or rolling their eyes, though. Jesus too.

For whatever reason, I really liked that the statue had a breather.

If I had to guess, the intent of the whole thing is the "art is dead" angle, or the disconnect in what is considered art right now. I'm undecided on that topic, but it's an impressive work nonetheless.

t just seems lazy to me to say "art is dead." Just my opinion. Like I said, loved the pieces by themselves.

I agree with that. Well in full honesty, I hate "[blank] is dead" in general. "Hip hop is dead", "genre fiction is dead", etc. It's kind of a scapegoat, or an excuse to make crap art.

Disclaimer: I don't think OD did that, though.

Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2013, 02:00:47 »

Thanks for the awesome critique d00ds.

Anyway, as far as the "art is dead" thing, I agree with you whole heartedly. In the video it said "Art Became Very Refined Before It Died Again". This is referring to the constant claim throughout history that "painting is dead" or "art is dead". There were so many eras deemed the "death of painting", and this is presenting the absurdity of something dying again.

Once again, thanks for the feedback, very thoughtful.

Also Mikero, the Toilet is a reference to Marcel Duchamp's fountain in case you didn't know. I couldn't tell  :P And "dadadadadadadadada" is a reference to the art movement Dada.

John: You are right. It is definitely better in person, mainly because you get to look at what you want for as long as you want and become enveloped in the experience.

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  The Creation Station  |  : Popped Art
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string