MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
20 April 2024, 08:05:02
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  X Series  |  : A detailed article on the Megaman X FPS that could have been (with videos)
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: A detailed article on the Megaman X FPS that could have been (with videos)  (Read 3781 times)
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« on: 9 April 2013, 16:36:10 »

I present to you (if you haven't already heard) Code Name: Maverick Hunter

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179628/mega-man-fps-maverick-hunter

What do you think?

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
Jakey
Robot Master

« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2013, 16:56:21 »

Already saw it on Facebook

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2013, 19:26:17 »

Already commented on that elsewhere.  It wasn't a good comment.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Jakey
Robot Master

« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2013, 20:11:35 »

Now he's just a robot that I used to know.

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2013, 01:02:38 »

Why would someone do this.  Megaman should not be a FPS unless it's made in the same style as Super Adventure Rockman.
Captain Sanoguchi
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2013, 02:48:06 »

I don't know, you guys. I would've given it a chance.
Sudo Iwaki X
Noob

« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013, 04:52:26 »

I too would try it.  As long as the Megaman X FPS game has the following:

1. The graphics better look good and flow well with the game.

2. The story better be good.

3. The gameplay should retain most of the core Megaman aspects.

4. If there is an online multiplayer, there better be a good netcode.

5. The special weapons better not be too useful or too useless.  In other words, not as OP as the Metal Blade in Megaman 2 and not as situational as Vengeful Needles in Megaman X Command Mission. 

"Allow me to rephrase. I will exercise my authority to terminate your program!" - Mega Man Juno, from Mega Man Legends
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2013, 14:53:23 »

3. The gameplay should retain most of the core Megaman aspects.

I can't face palm enough.  FIRST.  PERSON.  SHOOTER.  Yes, that will sure keep those "core" elements in place, won't it?

4. If there is an online multiplayer, there better be a good netcode.

Especially since Mega Man has a long and rich history of multiplayer online game play.  Oh, wait...

Anyone who thinks any of that FPS garbage was a good idea, isn't interested in "freshening up" Mega Man, they're interested in a different game.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2013, 06:02:17 »

Core elements lost when you change the camera angle on a Classic or X series game:

-Speed
-Jumps
-Skillful aiming
-Tricksy puzzles

That's all the core Mega Man aspects, Mr/s. Iwaki.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2013, 18:49:13 »

Now now, I mean, it still has a guy named Mega Man who shoots stuff and there are robots.   IT'S THE PERFECT TRANSITION TO 3D MAN!!!

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2013, 02:34:41 »

What's funny to me about this argument is that a lot of people here are saying it would be hard to really capture that feel in 3D, but some of the same people took the stance that Metroid Prime still feels like Metroid years ago.

From my perspective the debate is the same, and I don't think Prime feels like old school Metroid much at all.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2013, 07:00:18 »

Well, I don't remember if I actually weighed in on that, but I didn't really get it before.

Thematically, it's at least arguable whether or not they're similar.

Mechanically, it's not arguable at all.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2013, 14:37:57 »

Thematically?  Sure.  It has Samus and she shoots Metroids.  In every other sense?  God no.  It's no more "Metroid" than FPS X would have been "Mega Man X".  Metroid's game play didn't magically get preserved in the move to 1st person any more than X's would have.  But there are still quite a few people who will breathlessly argue Prime is Jesus come again in 3D and directly 1 to 1 perfect transition to 3D from 2D.  Those people are free to enjoy the game, but they're not free to pretend it's anything resembling the 2D games from game play or mechanics.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2013, 20:20:49 »

Those people might place more value on the atmosphere of the game and feel that the FPS is more suitable for feeling like you're partaking in that atmosphere. They may be ignoring or dismissing the fact that Metroid is much more than just an atmospheric game, but then there it is.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2013, 05:35:31 »

They definitely did and are doing that.

A HUGE part of the "atmosphere" of Metroid for me is the open world sort of feel, though, and I felt Prime was a bit closed in that way.

Well. Really, now. Let's be honest, it was mostly TLO that championed Metroid Prime back then anyway, and I think he was but a fresh-faced 12 years of age at the time (or some such #####).

But this whole MMX in first-person argument parallels the Prime debate to me, and I've got the same exact stance Rez just laid out for that one.

Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  X Series  |  : A detailed article on the Megaman X FPS that could have been (with videos)
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string