MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 14:16:09
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Anyone else nervous about Skyward Sword?
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Anyone else nervous about Skyward Sword?  (Read 5603 times)
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« on: 27 May 2011, 22:29:44 »

Like most Zelda fans, I have become particularly fond of the familiar "formula" for these games.

I was doing some reading on the development of Skyward Sword, and I read that Miyamuto was quoted as saying "Twilight Princess is the last Zelda as we know it".

I also read that Skyward Sword will have a different development team.

It's possible that he was simply referring to the change in controls, this being the first Zelda title to be built ONLY for the Wii.

However, I'm afraid that they will change the formula completely and the long running tradition will be snuffed out.

Thoughts? Theories? Ideas?

<3 Your friendly neighboorhood hippie
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2011, 23:39:53 »

Well, everything about it looks great so far, and it certainly doesn't look like it's a massive departure from the formula to me.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2011, 02:05:58 »

It'll be a quality game, regardless, even if it isn't perfect Zelda formula. I'd like a change.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2011, 16:57:47 »

Yeah, you're both right. Everything in the trailer is PRETTY solid. From what they've shown us, we don't have much to worry about.

On a side note, did you hear about how this trailer music is the OOT music backwards? Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZwbchA4Hw4

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2011, 17:40:30 »

The formula... kind of needs to change, just a little I think.

Previous Zeldas never really forced you to angle your sword correctly to do damage to anything. I may not necessarily like swinging the wii remote as a sword when I get the chance to play it, and it's possible the end result might be less than intuitive... think of Phantom Hourglass and how necessary it was to be able to roll and how freaking difficult it was (and how awesomely it was improved in Spirit Tracks).

I like the idea of having to do more than just hold shield and strike to finish off most enemies. I liked the mention of being able to use potions on the run, but I wonder at what that suggested about the difficulty. Will you really end up running away from enemies just to heal? I'm surprised and delighted at the possibility of the difficulty being raised, yet somehow I kind of doubt it. Not when it comes to one of Nintendo's flagship franchises.

There were a lot of things I loved about Spirit Tracks that I want to carry over into this game, and that game messed with the formula a bit, I think. I liked the fact that I had pretty much no idea when the end of the game was in sight. It just kept building and building and you kept fighting more and more things. The final battles really did wear me down quite a bit (even though one part was kind of cheap) and they should.
The developers at that point basically said, "Okay, every single Zelda veteran is coming into this fight with full hearts and four gold potions. We need to keep that fully in mind," and it worked out pretty well.
I liked the minigame dungeon thing where you progressed through these small areas full of enemies without any ability to heal, and came up against a bunch of old bosses at the end, and then a surprise hidden boss at the end of the hardest one.
I liked that a lot of the minigames in general seemed to take a lot of practice to perfect.

I was more impressed by the music in the other trailer that wasn't anything backwards.

ALL of the bosses in Twilight Princess were SO easy. I had trouble with only one boss I think, and it was the Sand Temple one... but that was very minor trouble and I still got out without dying.
It takes away from the epicness of the game if even the boss has no chance of killing you. I'm not complaining about the difficulty exactly, I mean I could always do a ten heart/three heart run after playing through it once, but an improvement would be nice.

I'm not really nervous, I'm cautiously optimistic, and with Nintendo's recent track record with Mario and Spirit Tracks, I don't THINK I will be disappointed.

The only thing I REALLY want is to have Zelda orchestrated like Mario Galaxy was.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2011, 17:41:03 »

Graphics looks like some Gamecube title. wtf...

White Shadow
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2011, 23:17:33 »

Nothing was awesome in Spirit Tracks except that I like trains. But even the trains in it where bullish.

For me.

I mean, the game itself was fine I guess, you (Majikn) have a point about the gameplay being different and interesting (in terms of combat/boss fights only), but in the end it was pretty throwaway to me (though I'll never admit that in real life as it was a gift from my girlfriend). Story was lacktactical, and the train gimmick just wasn't good enough. I realize every Zelda game these days has a specific gimmick--masks, boats, etc.--but it was really underdone to me. Actually that's a good word, because a Zelda game is usually good as far as games go, but can still feel like filet mignon that's just not... right. Basically in my long winded way I'm saying it was weak, and it's not like portable Zelda games have a history of being weaker than console, so it's not really brush-off-able. There was a certain point where using a train to get anywhere was completely annoying, mainly because of the track/world layout, plus any fighting or anything that would come up while riding was always the same.

All that said, a little change might be good. I don't know. I'm just ready to play a new Zelda already.

I think I'm gonna replay some of the Oracle of blahblah stuff.

Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2011, 16:34:15 »

Really though, the "formula" that I'm referring to is the whole thing about going to different "temples", collecting relics, each tempmle with small keys, a mini boss with an item, a boss key, and a final boss.

Right now I'm playing Minish Cap and it's awesome. I guess Skyward Sword is supposed to be an origin story, and it's estimated that Minish Cap comes right after. I even heard a theory that "Vatii", the villain from Minish Cap is in the Skyward Sword trailer.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2011, 16:39:44 by Orange Devil » Logged

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2011, 17:14:25 »

Yeah, it does look a bit like him in the trailer.

I started Minish Cap but never finished it...

Same with Phantom Hourglass, and I never even bought Spirit Tracks...

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2011, 18:22:35 »

I finished Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and enjoyed them while I was playing, but after finishing decided I hated both of them. I disliked Spirit Tracks more than Hourglass, though.

Minish Cap... same as Abe. Started but never finished. I didn't really like it.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2011, 19:21:18 »

Haha, okay, I did not say that I liked the fact that you have to use a train to get anywhere, but I was willing to tolerate that part because there were things about it that I really liked.

I guess I should say what I appreciated most were the dungeons and bosses, and some of the extra features that had me surprised and delighted. I definitely don't want them to bring trains into Skyward Sword. (I don't even really want gimmicks in my Zelda games, but if the gimmick in Skyward Sword is really the sword itself I can't really say that's a bad thing.) There were things brought in that could be carried over and applied to a more dense console-Zelda setting that would make fanboys like me squeal with joy, because I definitely did that a few times in my head while playing Spirit Tracks. I make no apologies for that.

I played Minish Cap enough to know that it's actually spelled Vaati. I did a three heart run of that game and when I went to do a third playthrough, my heart wasn't in finishing it. I guess I'm over that game.

The thing about Spirit Tracks is I expected it would be dreadful. I remembered playing Phantom Hourglass and I was just baffled that they'd make another game in that style. Still, I got it as a gift, and then I was in the hospital with nothing else to do, I eventually started playing it... and then I was playing it like mad. And the thing is, it's way better than Phantom Hourglass just because it improved every single thing. I could even put up with the train and went out of my way to collect all of the train pieces (and I RARELY do stuff like that). What you guys feel about Spirit Tracks is exactly what I feel about Phantom.

Really there are about six handheld Zeldas out right now (not even counting Four Swords), by MMM standards that would mean 3 of those games were completely solid, so I don't know about them outperforming the console titles as of this point. That definitely USED to be the case. Right now I'd say they're about equal, with Skyward Sword making or breaking it for console.

So, about the formula and what was meant by it: Spirit Tracks did away with finding maps, and there were no heart pieces, only containers. I did not really like stuff like that at first but in the end I didn't mind. (I'm unsure of which things carried over from Phantom Hourglass because I really just put it out of my mind.)

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2011, 21:21:30 »

I'd like to be put on record in saying that Minish Cap is a solid game

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2011, 23:15:28 »

I'd like to be put on record in saying that Minish Cap isn't.

For me.

I apologize for how smug that probably sounds, I just like to post conversationally.

Anyway Minish Cap has like NO story, which I wouldn't have minded as much if at one point the game just refused to direct me anywhere and I had to just stumble my way back to a chain of events. This might not happen to everyone, it's entirely possible (but very unlikely) that I missed something, but I remember it being a big point of contention with that game for me.

Plus it just got boring in the middle, but the stuff in the sky was fun enough and I guess the game started OK. I was pretty excited for it's look and all, and meeting up with my Goron friends again, but the game as a whole just fell WAY short. Even my mum didn't finish it and she's played through Link's Awakening like a hunn-ed times.

Haha, okay, I did not say that I liked the fact that you have to use a train to get anywhere, but I was willing to tolerate that part because there were things about it that I really liked.

I guess I should say what I appreciated most were the dungeons and bosses, and some of the extra features that had me surprised and delighted. I definitely don't want them to bring trains into Skyward Sword. (I don't even really want gimmicks in my Zelda games, but if the gimmick in Skyward Sword is really the sword itself I can't really say that's a bad thing.) There were things brought in that could be carried over and applied to a more dense console-Zelda setting that would make fanboys like me squeal with joy, because I definitely did that a few times in my head while playing Spirit Tracks. I make no apologies for that.

I played Minish Cap enough to know that it's actually spelled Vaati. I did a three heart run of that game and when I went to do a third playthrough, my heart wasn't in finishing it. I guess I'm over that game.

The thing about Spirit Tracks is I expected it would be dreadful. I remembered playing Phantom Hourglass and I was just baffled that they'd make another game in that style. Still, I got it as a gift, and then I was in the hospital with nothing else to do, I eventually started playing it... and then I was playing it like mad. And the thing is, it's way better than Phantom Hourglass just because it improved every single thing. I could even put up with the train and went out of my way to collect all of the train pieces (and I RARELY do stuff like that). What you guys feel about Spirit Tracks is exactly what I feel about Phantom.

Really there are about six handheld Zeldas out right now (not even counting Four Swords), by MMM standards that would mean 3 of those games were completely solid, so I don't know about them outperforming the console titles as of this point. That definitely USED to be the case. Right now I'd say they're about equal, with Skyward Sword making or breaking it for console.

So, about the formula and what was meant by it: Spirit Tracks did away with finding maps, and there were no heart pieces, only containers. I did not really like stuff like that at first but in the end I didn't mind. (I'm unsure of which things carried over from Phantom Hourglass because I really just put it out of my mind.)

I'm with you in that some of the actual LINK stuff in Spirit Tracks was fun. I think I enjoyed the levels in the tower, using ghost Zelda and what-not. Those were good puzzles. But the scale of "##### I like" and "poop I hate" was balanced more on one side I guess. I'm glad I played it, and the end levels were actually some of the most fun in the game, I just wish I didn't hate the trains since I actually love trains.

That said, I've never played Phantom Hourglass, so I didn't have much comparison for newer portable Zeldas since GBC/GBA days.

I think I used to like the handheld Zelda games more, if you look at Link's Awakening and even Oracle of Ages--no comment on Seasons, because as I just started playing it (after finishing Ages) both games and my Gameboy Color were stolen/lost-- but these days I have to lean toward console.

I like Ocarina Of Time enough, but I want to stress that it isn't part of why. I know everyone still sucks that teat but, and I know this could be controversial, I really think the two console games that really took their stride from it are what solidified this angle. Wind Waker, I don't care what people say about the boating or it's looks or it's... Triforce shards; I love(d) the ##### out of it. It's one of the few console ones I really replayed. And as for Twilight Princess, it didn't really catch me at first that I remember (I mean get forced into wolf mode pretty quick) but eventually it had me hookshot, link, and sinker lure.

If Spirit Tracks is really the best handheld Zelda since Four Swords (which I skipped in every iteration), then I don't know what more to say.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2011, 04:49:39 »

I'm going to go bake cookies.

*looks at everyone*

For me.

(j/p lol)

The Triforce shards search was the only big annoyance I can mention when I talk about Wind Waker. The issue is that I kind of hate replaying that part. The first time around I thought it was fun, but the last time I did it, playing that part seemed like a farming exercise. Still, I also replayed it more than the other games, though I replayed Twilight Princess almost as much. (I really don't replay games all that often.)

I played Oracle of Seasons and then Ages, there's more at the very end of the game once you beat the second. I believe they were originally going to do a third game and have them all intertwined, but the logistics must have seemed too confusing. My point anyway is that you definitely need to get both of those games and password switch for maximum enjoyment. It's the only instance I've seen where two handheld titles of a franchise released at the same time wasn't some kind of sales gimmick and which actually WERE two intertwined games.

If Link's Awakening plus those two are all a solid 10, I would indeed say that Minish is a 2, Phantom is 5, Spirit is 7. (Not deducting for having the same engine/graphics, because I don't care about that, despite how I initially felt.)

When it comes to the console titles, I'm less opinionated. I'd have to give Zelda 1 and 2 the benefit of the doubt. Personally I've thoroughly enjoyed every single console Zelda I've played, but opinions seem to differ after Ocarina of Time and this is where I decide to let go of intricate rating values and think in terms of solid and not solid. I can still enjoy a game that I'd admit could have, or should have, been a lot better.

If I were to evaluate it entirely myself I would say that I agree with you. My only reason for mentioning it was your mention of handheld games not having a history of being weaker than console games, because it does seem that that trend is being reversed.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2011, 06:13:39 »

Link's Awakening and Wind Waker are two of my favorite ones, and even though Ocarina of Time has the most nostalgic value for me, I don't think I like it as much as those two. Link's Awakening was the first one I ever played, and Wind Waker is the one I've played the most.

That being said, it's been a really long time since I've played through OoT so I'm excited for the 3DS re-release.

Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2011, 18:08:29 »

Hah, Mikero you're right, now that I think about it, Minish Cap has absolutely NO story. But I don't play Zelda for the story... I mean I can't think of a single Zelda that has a story more complex than "Theres an evil guy, collect stuff, beat the evil guy, restore light to the land".

Still though, I think it's just as good as other hand held titles, like Oracle and Links Awakening. And the music is good.

PS: Thanks for posting in here guys! This place may not be what it used to, but it's certainly not dead  ;)

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2011, 19:13:36 »

I check it every time I check facebook. :)

My girlfriend had never seen Twilight Princess, so I started playing it to show her the story and stuff, she likes it, but thought it was too slow moving.

She then fell asleep and I played bad Company 2 for 3 hours, haha.

I've always liked Zelda games for the puzzles. As soon as I learned that every enemy and every boss is just a puzzle requiring timing, Zelda games got much easier. I'd like to see skyward sword integrate much more difficulty in bosses, giving them more complex patterns and actual skill to defeat them, and not just luck and attack mashing.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Orange Devil
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2011, 20:50:01 »

I agree. I've both gotten older, and the games have been made easier. I hope that the difference is split.

Sadly though, I doubt that it will be.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #18 on: 1 June 2011, 02:44:07 »

I’ll wait until I can play the game first before I make/agree with such comments.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 2 June 2011, 04:50:01 »

If Link's Awakening plus those two are all a solid 10, I would indeed say that Minish is a 2, Phantom is 5, Spirit is 7.

Fair 'nuff.

Minish Cap has absolutely NO story. But I don't play Zelda for the story... I mean I can't think of a single Zelda that has a story more complex than "Theres an evil guy, collect stuff, beat the evil guy, restore light to the land".

Fair 'nuff.

And the music is good.

Fair 'nuff.

she likes it, but thought it was too slow moving.

Fair 'nuff.

I’ll wait until I can play the game first before I make/agree with such comments.

Fairest 'nuffest.

Posted on:  1 June 2011, 19:19:23

AAAaaand I think the universe is decidedly against me ever finishing Oracle of Ages and Seasons completely, as my save on Oracle of Ages just screwed up in the third dungeon and I can't retrieve it. Tarnation!

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 2 June 2011, 07:33:10 »

I remember if you finished one and then started the other with a password you got from the completion, it would alter the new game slightly. You could do it both ways. Those games were awesome.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 1 October 2011, 05:20:24 »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwBQ903L78

I'm liking the ##### out of this music, at least.

I think IGN might be jumping the gun in assuming that that blonde girl is Zelda, though...

Here's two more, by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg-205SYuUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqrRMd9yl0
« Last Edit: 1 October 2011, 05:26:22 by Majikn » Logged

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 1 October 2011, 06:47:21 »

I'm pretty sure Nintendo has flat-out stated that the blonde girl is Zelda.

Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : Anyone else nervous about Skyward Sword?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string