MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
29 March 2024, 06:21:09
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : 3DS
Pages: 1 2 » Print
Author Topic: 3DS  (Read 16039 times)
Abominator
Creator of MMM

3DS
« on: 25 March 2011, 10:43:41 »

So, I got my 3DS at midnight last night, I was first in a queue of 2!

They only had 6 of them though so I don't feel that waiting on it was a waste of time.

It's really fun so far, got PilotWings Resort and Super Street Fighter IV.

I'm about to try and import my Miis in from the Wii now...

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2011, 12:17:58 »

Lucky, lucky, Abe!  I got to try the demo of Pilot Wings Resort in the store.  Just the training around the Wii Sports Resort island (I know that island far too well), but the 3D was pretty kickass, and it works quite well with that game.  Tell me how SSF4 plays; I have a friend who's very interested in how well they mapped the controls.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2011, 14:24:37 »

got PilotWings Resort and Super Street Fighter IV.

That's what I expect to end up with in the end for launch games.  Maybe DoA too since I love jigglies.  I'm just glad I paid for mine up front when I reserved it back in January otherwise I'd probably have to miss the launch.

Only 2 days left before I have a SECOND hobby that will make me blind!

I wonder how long before we get a port of MvC3 on the 3DS.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2011, 15:18:47 »

So, I've just been to swap my 3DS for another one, because the camera started crashing the entire system every time it was called upon!

This one seems to be working so far... but then, so did the other one for about 2 hours...

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2011, 17:55:50 »

Hows Street Fighter IV with the new placement of the dpad? Is it uncomfortable?
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2011, 20:44:02 »

I've been using the circle pad to play it, it's super easy to pull off fireballs and dragonpunches, which is all that matters to me!

I like that the touch screen has a few button combos on it, for some reason I always fail to throw people in SF games so now there's just a throw button there.

Some of the backgrounds are a bit boring, as I had read in reviews (the barrels bonus stage being the worst of the lot) but other than that it looks great.

All the movies are 2D though, which seems like a wasted opportunity.

Really loving Pilotwings too.

Trying not to play the hell out of it so that I don't waste it in a short time.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2011, 22:08:49 »

Sounds like it's pretty good to me, ignoring the one with the buggy camera.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2011, 03:50:09 »

I'm picking mine up on Sunday! I am excite!

The nice lady put away a game for me too, without having me to pre-order it.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2011, 16:09:19 »

Yeah, I'm grabbing mine tomorrow morning. I'm getting the same two launch games - those seem to be the most popular choices. I also really want the new Monkey Ball. Always been a sucker for Monkey Ball.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2011, 17:40:43 »

Gonna wait on this one until I have some money again and one (or both) of:

1) the game library is a little more fleshed out
2) Nintendo make another, marginally improved one and the price of the original model drops to something more reasonable

That said, Nintendo seem to own my soul so the purchase is definitely inevitable
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2011, 18:58:56 »

I'll be picking it up probably sometime in June I hope.

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2011, 23:05:10 »

1) the game library is a little more fleshed out
2) Nintendo make another, marginally improved one and the price of the original model drops to something more reasonable

This. Plus my DS has a cracked hinge.. so I need a replacement. But then again, no GBA port for my ILLEGAL PIRATING GAME TOOLS LOLOLOL

LOL BANDWAGON
Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2011, 04:41:19 »

In other, merrier times, I'd have quoted the rules so that you wash your sins, but I guess nobody would give a damn now.

Boo hoo.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2011, 05:31:50 »

Yup. I'm not getting one. Gonna see if I can actually hold off until the next model of it comes out in two years, and if things keep on as they're going right now, that really won't be so difficult.
Guess the only danger is somehow missing out on good titles that stop selling, so I'll be careful there.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2011, 18:21:39 »

I've already done every mission in PilotWings :(

But I still have to get 3 stars on them all.........

Probably wont get another game til Zelda is out.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2011, 18:59:12 »

HEY GUY LETS ADD EACH OTHER

0044-2806-1059

God this thing is so cool. A lot smaller in person than I expected too!

AR Games are totally gimmicky but also very awesome.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2011, 20:21:50 »

Got mine earlier today, played it for a few hours. I love it. Pilotwings is great, haven't touched Street Fighter yet. Graphics are amazing, control pad is wonderful, 3D is actually nice... this thing is really impressing me.

Oh, and that Face Raiders game is the most hilarious thing Nintendo has ever done. So much fun with friends.

Posted on: 27 March 2011, 14:13:14

Added you, Vinch. Here's my code:

5284-1403-9393

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2011, 14:35:11 »

Picked mine up yesterday and DAMN.  I am impressed.  The 3D effect is actually done very well all around.  I barely have to move the slider to get good depth.  The screen is vivid, bright and crisp.  The sound is probably the best I've heard out of a Nintendo hand held.  I have very few complaints about the 3DS.  1)  The Dpad is great, but it's slightly uncomfortable to use because of it's placement (which isn't a surprise, and there's not really much they could have done).  It's not awful, but holding it in a dpad/face button configuration is lopsided and feels awkward.  The analog stick is extremely comfortable and works like butter though.  2) The Start/Select buttons are a bit TOO far away for easy reaching, and the way they're constructed, difficult to tap in game.  I much preferred the DSi placement for them.  In a related note, I've almost hit the power button half a dozen times reflexively thinking it was the start button.  I see this ending int tears at some point.  3)  The finish.  This is pretty subjective, but I HATE piano finish.  Glossy doesn't look nice, and even if it did it wouldn't for long because all it does is show fingerprints.  It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to keep it looking clean.  The DSi fixed this by going with a beautiful mat finish.  I am greatly disappointed Nintendo went back to a glossy piano finish for the 3DS.  I'm also not fond of the 2 tone color scheme with the black faceplate on EVERY color.  It looks tacky and frankensteiny.  Ah well.  That's why I went cosmo black.

I picked up SSF4 and Pilotwings.  I didn't notice any real difference between it and the console version myself, but I've not played it much.  Seems like a good port with some nice extras.  Pilotwings shows off the 3D beautifully (as I'd expect).  It's not nearly as fun to kill yourself as the SNES game though.  Ah well.

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2011, 16:25:09 »

I am greatly disappointed Nintendo went back to a glossy piano finish for the 3DS.

This. A matte finish can end up looking cheap but the DSi's looks really nice.

Shame about the dpad placement though. However it looks comfy and should be good for every game except MAYBE platformers.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2011, 17:08:16 »

3D Platformers are in the clear though.

Actually I kinda just thought of something cool.
I wonder if Nintendo thought of a mechanism to lock the slider in place and have it act as a D-pad, with arrows in each direction lit up or just painted on or something. It would add functionality to more old-school type games if the d-pad that's already there is kind of out of the way.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 30 March 2011, 09:28:32 »

added ye Alec.

ABE.

REZ.

YOU MUST PUT UP YOUR FRIEND CODES.

I MUST STALK YOOOOUUUU

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 30 March 2011, 16:27:06 »

3-starred all the missions in Pilotwings. Still have to get Perfect scores on all of 'em, plus find the last few things in Free Flight.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #22 on: 1 April 2011, 11:57:48 »

I've got 3 left to 3 star and a bunch of stuff to find.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #23 on: 1 April 2011, 18:27:18 »

Got the chance to try someone's 3DS yesterday. Very impressed. Might end up getting it sooner than I originally predicted.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 1 April 2011, 18:50:58 »

Why am I so awful at Street Fighter, and yet I love it?

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #25 on: 1 April 2011, 19:36:48 »

I'm good at it up until Medium mode :P

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #26 on: 1 April 2011, 21:41:48 »

I just like seeing Sakura's pantys.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 8 June 2011, 00:00:15 »

Got my 3DS... Street Fighter IV is a lot #####ing harder to play on it.

Code: 3480 - 2635 - 0827
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #28 on: 8 June 2011, 22:52:25 »

Weirdly, I'm actually more interested in Pilotwings on 3DS than Street Fighter.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 8 June 2011, 23:17:57 »

Actually me too, but I don't think I want to buy either.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #30 on: 10 June 2011, 19:55:01 »

Excitebike 3D is pretty awesome!  Also picked up Cave Story finally.  Enjoying it so far.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 12 June 2011, 00:02:04 »

You guys are making me actually get interested in 3DS!

>:(
&
«:)

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 15 June 2011, 07:05:34 »

I feel like I could've waited a little longer to get this thing, but I'm totally satisfied with it. I bought into the hype and bought it on release, but it didn't matter because if I didn't get it then, I would've gotten it later.

Can't wait for Ocarina of Time. I intentionally haven't played it in years because I've been anticipating a re-release - I'm trying to forget as much as I can. In the meantime, I'm replaying Link's Awakening via the Virtual Console and holy hell is that a blast from the past. That was the first Zelda game I'd ever played, and I haven't played it since that first run-through as a kid.

Word of advice: don't buy Super Mario Land. That game doesn't really hold up.

Is this version of Cave Story worth getting? I've played it before but that was a while back and I think it'd be cool to have it as a portable. I think it'd be weird paying for something that's available for free elsewhere.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #33 on: 15 June 2011, 07:26:51 »

lmao I would have known better than to buy Super Mario Land. I might have been interested in Super Mario Land 2, though. I never played it.
They should add Donkey Kong, too. The one where you progress through 9 worlds involving keys. I think that was the first game I ever beat, and that felt so good to do. Definitely one of the best games, if not the best Game Boy game (there are not a lot of classics I can really name). Link's Awakening is just the obvious choice.

I got a Cave Story demo for Wii (or did I get the whole thing free? I have it but I don't understand why I'd buy it...) and I had no idea what to do. Didn't get very far.

I am glad you are enjoying your 3DS. I have a surplus of games, I cannot justify buying more until I complete all the games that I intend to complete.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #34 on: 15 June 2011, 20:16:26 »

Cave Story is an exceptional game, so if you have it I'd recommend giving it another go. Don't know where/how you got stuck, but it's worth the extra push if that's what you need.

Super Mario Land 2 is GREAT - that's the one where Wario is the villain, and it's all just a bit shifted from how a Mario game generally is. It's got a world map and all the gameplay you'd expect, but it's got its own twist, which is really nice. It even had a low-gravity moon level. I remember that Donkey Kong game, too - definitely another good one.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 15 June 2011, 21:11:50 »

Super Mario Land was fun, but I'm sure as hell not buying it for 5 dollars when I still have the original cart and a working GBA. Not to mention I think I only beat it once... I honestly start to suck at that game about halfway through.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #36 on: 15 June 2011, 21:27:39 »

I took SML on vacation once and played it so much that I probably never need to play it ever again!

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #37 on: 16 June 2011, 00:17:29 »

I bought SML because I never played it. Beat it in like 30 minutes. >_>

If you're thinking about CS, you might want to wait for the 3D Remake that's coming out. It's supposed to have some content in it that Pixel removed from the final game. Also, the music is being redone by the guy who did Super Meat Boy's music.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #38 on: 16 June 2011, 06:02:00 »

##### it, I'm getting OoT 3D, I got OoT on the Wii VC but never beat it, and I'm aching to have something on my 3DS that isn't Street Fighter or Excite Bike. Besides, it looks purty!
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #39 on: 16 June 2011, 07:46:17 »

I'm saddened by the removal of all the fun sequence breaks and speed tricks but will probably get it when I get a 3DS.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #40 on: 16 June 2011, 11:42:20 »

Alright OoT was great. Nobody's doubting that. But I'm kinda pissed at the Big N by now. They've gone from releasing new games of old franchises with at least a token change or gimmick to plain re-releasing of old games.

White Shadow
MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #41 on: 17 June 2011, 21:22:44 »

Alright OoT was great. Nobody's doubting that. But I'm kinda pissed at the Big N by now. They've gone from releasing new games of old franchises with at least a token change or gimmick to plain re-releasing of old games.

That's what I noticed for the current 3DS game line up. Most of the games contained names I've heard of before with a "3D" suffix added. I personally would like to replay OoT in 3D, but more than anything I'd like something new.

I'm okay with Nintendo re-using the same IPs since they usually come up with big changes to gameplay like with Mario 64 and OoT, however there hasn't been a really "different" game as of late. Of course Nintendo isn't the only company guilty of re-releasing old games.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #42 on: 18 June 2011, 06:07:53 »

Knock knock. This ##### ain't new.

They tacked "64" onto everything back in the day. Pilotwings, Bomberman, Mario Kart, DOOM... You can argue that those were pretty different from earlier versions, like in the case of Mario 64, but some really weren't and were utterly terrible.

And at any rate, they did this with the FIRST DS. Sure Mario 64 DS has some new gimmicks but it is basically still a modified port.

What I'm trying to ask is, why is this surprising?

White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #43 on: 18 June 2011, 11:09:14 »

Eh, I guess I was hoping this would only be a phase.

White Shadow
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #44 on: 19 June 2011, 17:11:39 »

Getting groceries around 3AM last night at Wal-Mart, I ended up asking if Ocarina of Time was out yet and bought a copy. Headed home and didn't go to sleep until around 7AM. It goes without saying, but it's amazing. I haven't played through OoT again in years, and the stuff they upgraded in this - I'm not just talking about the graphics - elevate it to an even higher level.

For instance, the Ocarina now just has its own button, and there's two extra slots for items that you can assign. When looking around or aiming, you can just use the gyroscope and move the 3DS around - it sounds silly but it's one of the coolest and most natural-feeling gimmick upgrades I've used. And the graphics? Beautiful. The 3D is entirely tolerable even at a full slider. In fact, I've been playing it at full 3D and have experienced absolutely zero discomfort.

And even better? Apparently, I got a free soundtrack by registering it at Club Nintendo.

(Also, whoever was talking about the Game Boy Donkey Kong game, I guess it is actually now available on the Virtual Console.)

MOX
Robot Master

« Reply #45 on: 19 June 2011, 17:18:08 »

HNGNNGNGNGNRRHHHHHH < agony from waiting for next 3DS model
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #46 on: 19 June 2011, 17:24:22 »

Gameboy Donkey Kong game?

As in the one you play as Mario and save Pauline (I think that's her name) from Donkey Kong? That game was #####ing sweet. I might actually get that, even if I still have the cartridge here... since I can't play it on my 3DS.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #47 on: 19 June 2011, 17:49:06 »

Yeah, it's the one Majikn was talking about, where the first three levels are the arcade-style Donkey Kong and then suddenly it pulls back and you realize there's a whole game filled with keys and Donkey Kong-style obstacle course levels. And I think you can do backflips and walk on your head. It had some crazy acrobatics and controls for a Donkey Kong-inspired game.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #48 on: 19 June 2011, 19:14:03 »

The backflip move actually carried over into Mario 64. It turned into more of a sideways backwards flip, but it required the same input and had the same desired effect.
THE MORE YOU KNOW

Also it was four levels, I think, unless the fourth one wasn't carried over from the arcade game.

I am definitely getting Ocarina of Time... just not yet. Maybe next year, depending on how long I can be Awesome.

I totally want all those titles that Nintendo is being criticized for releasing. I want Super Mario 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3DS, Ocarina of Time 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2... all of these games are a guaranteed buy for me.

I have absolutely nothing against portable access to excellent console games, but I should mention that only one of the games I mentioned above is an actual remake (it looks good enough for me to call it that over a port). I think people seem to assume that Paper Mario 3D will be a remake as well. It's not, it's a new game. Luigi's Mansion 2 is less ambiguous. These all may be based on gameplay from previous generations but it's gameplay that we fully enjoy and want more of, and they're all placed within a new game.

Only remakes are OoT and Star Fox. There may be more yet from Square Enix, and I will hopefully look forward to Final Fantasy 5 and 6 in 3D.
Why is this a bad thing? We're getting new content AND old content.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #49 on: 19 June 2011, 20:59:53 »

Yeah, everything except OoT and Star Fox are new games, and people have been clamoring for remastered releases of those two for years anyway.

Pages: 1 2 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Non-MegaMan Games  |  : 3DS
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string