MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
25 September 2017, 06:06:26
Radio (OFFLINE)Gallery (OFFLINE)MBoardRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  Topic: The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 637006 times)
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2600 on: 22 December 2015, 11:45:18 »

Ant-Man is my #3 Marvel Movie now.  Behind Guardians and Avengers 1.  Cap 1 gets moved down to #4.

Little late but this is a pro list.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2601 on: 24 December 2015, 05:43:45 »

I'm a pro guy!

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Speed Racer
Robot Master

« Reply #2602 on: 25 December 2015, 21:28:47 »

Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a lot of fun and a good movie. The first 10-15 minutes of the film felt very disjointed, almost like Disney stepped in and was like "JJ, you're directing a Star Wars film, not one of your Star Trek reboots. Calm your tits." Rest of it was great. Probably going to see it again for my anniversary.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2603 on: 27 December 2015, 02:06:57 »

I concur.  Force Awakens is solid.  It does have some issues, but it's got that proper Star Wars vibe the prequels never did.  Episode 7 is more Star Wars than a single second of the entire prequel trilogy.  The practical effects made a SIZABLE difference in the the movie and made if feel real.  Not some 90% green screen garbage.

Speed Racer
Robot Master

« Reply #2604 on: 20 February 2016, 13:51:56 »

Oh, definitely. While the all-CGI thing was an interesting experiment, it did royally screw the movies. Meanwhile, the new movie just looked fantastic and real.

Posted on: December 28, 2015, 08:49:37 PM

I saw Spectre and Deadpool. Spectre was a good Bond movie, but they completely wasted the character of Mr. Hinx, and John Logan needs to drop the father/son issues in his writing. The dude literally can't write a movie without parental issues in it. Not every #####ing movie is going to be a Greek tragedy.

Deadpool was excellent. Well done and funny as hell.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2605 on: 23 February 2016, 16:14:37 »

Deadpool was every bit as good as a Marvel film.  I hope to GOD Fox learns from the massive success of it and applies that level of faithfulness to the X-Men next tim... oh who am I kidding.  At least Deadpool was gold.

Speed Racer
Robot Master

« Reply #2606 on: 10 March 2016, 04:36:59 »

The only thing that Fox learned is that audiences will go see an R-rated film based on a comic book. Everything else is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I just saw Gods of Egypt, which was not a particularly good film, but highly entertaining. The concept itself is ridiculous and it took me about half of the film to buy into it, but once you do, it was a very fun ride. The acting is mostly terrible, with Gerard Butler pretty much carrying the film by himself. The 3D was gorgeous. I'd be up for watching it again.

StatiicX
Noob

« Reply #2607 on: 21 March 2016, 23:47:48 »

you guys ready for Batman Vs. Superman? Me and the wife will be there night 1...im nervous of Afleck but I give him the benifit of the doubt based on the extended trailer they showed of him fighting..im looking forward to it me and my wife
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2608 on: 22 March 2016, 19:37:00 »

BvS looks like dog #####.  Seriously, it's so god damn grimdark and "realistic" and "not comic booky" it hurts.  It's a "mature film for mature film goers like me and not some kiddie comic #####" just like Man of Steel, which is one of the single worst comic book adaptations ever made.  And that's what BvS is based on/building on.

It will still make hundreds of millions of dollars, so by that measure, it will be a "good" movie.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2609 on: 24 March 2016, 06:19:19 »

I haven't liked anything Snyder since 300...

I'm still going to see it probably. I don't have anything against the tone of the movie. I liked The Dark Knight, but Rises was godawful in my opinion. I don't think being "comic booky" is inherently better because it's gotten old with Marvel lately. I haven't really liked much from Marvel since the first Avengers. "Grimdark" might be boring, but it's at least a contrast to when I've gotten bored of a lot of Marvel's recent attempts at humour. Deadpool notwithstanding.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I am losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2610 on: 28 March 2016, 21:53:34 »

If it's a comic book, it should have that tone.  Most of DC falls into that.  The BEST animated DC stuff is that in spades.  It doesn't have to be ##### just because it's live action.  Marvel has absolutely NAILED the tone of it's comics in it's movies.  They're far from perfect, but they're generally good and loyal to the source material in both tone AND content.  DC can not say the same thing, at all.  As a fan of these characters, it makes me extremely sad to see them portrayed with such a deafness to tone and style of the source material for the sake of making it "mature" or "not comic booky".

But as I said, this is Superman and Batman.  That ALONE will make half a billion, regardless of if it's good or bad.  And make no mistake this is a BAD movie.  Period.  Can you imagine if they'd nailed the tone and style?  They'd have easily made billions.  Marvel has done it, and with C and D tier characters because they respect the source material and it's style and tone.  DC does not and does not.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2611 on: 31 March 2016, 01:57:51 »

Marvel IS doing a better job. I saw the movie and I pretty much agree. All I'm saying, though, is that I don't mind superhero movies being dark or taking themselves seriously. I don't think that's an inherently bad thing, just as I don't think the Marvel style is bad either. It's just that we've gotten so much out of Marvel lately and since they've set the bar high, my expectations have gotten higher. If Batman V Superman movies was like more of the same stuff we'd seen from Marvel, I'd feel like an opportunity for variety was missed.

But yes, regardless of what path DC movies want to take in the future, they still need to do better.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I am losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2612 on: 1 April 2016, 20:27:59 »

Marvel isn't a "style" of comic book movie, it's just actually portraying it's characters far more accurately.  Making a superhero movie that is dark or takes it's self seriously is FINE, but not when you do it for something that isn't dark/serious JUST for the sake of doing that.  And that's what they did for BvS, MoS and is the general direction DC is taking it's CU.  Batman, as edge lord as he's portrayed sometimes isn't and doesn't HAVE to be as dark as he's been of late.

And that's the problem with DC, they're doing dark, serious and mature JUST to do that, regardless of if that's what the tone and characters call for.  I don't even recognize MoS/BvS Superman.  He's not Superman in any meaningful way the character has been for 60 years.  People, who seriously/unironically defend this portrayal of him or that BvS is literally a cinematic  masterpiece and transcendent comic book movie are blowing out more ##### from their ass than Galactus after eating a Jupiter sized burrito from Taco Bell.  I have no issue with people liking the movie, but it's a HORRIBLE rendition of the characters, and criminally off tone.  Suicide Squad is going under reshoots to make it "funnier".  That's entirely due to the large amount of negative feedback on how dark and soulless MoS and BvS are.  But even then, it's just another knee jerk reaction to try to catch more of that Marvel Money Train.  It has NONE of the forethought that Marvel has put into their stuff.  Just like shoving more of the cut BvS footage to make an "R" rated cut to try to piggyback off Deadpool's R rated success without ANY attempt to understand WHY Deadpool was rated R and why it worked.

I could go on forever about it but I'll end it there. 

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2613 on: 2 April 2016, 21:00:03 »

Marvel movies all conform in a way that has a recognizable style. That's all I was saying.

My only motivation for believing that allowing varying tones and character interpretations is acceptable is that I liked Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. You also might smite me for saying it, but I even liked The Amazing Spider-Man. However when it comes to your reasons for not liking BvS I pretty much agree.

StatiicX
Noob

« Reply #2614 on: 6 April 2016, 23:22:34 »

Marvel movies all conform in a way that has a recognizable style. That's all I was saying.

.....You also might smite me for saying it, but I even liked The Amazing Spider-Man.

So for the record Andrew Garfield had probably the best interpretation of Peter Parker I've seen, save for this Civil War Spidey(Tom Holland is his name right?). He is unproven and I'll hold judgement on him. I feel like Garfield was snubbed because he did an awesome job and I think he wouldve fit in quite nicely considering that his rendition of Spidey/PP is from the Ultimate universe, as is all these MCU characters/movies.
Speed Racer
Robot Master

« Reply #2615 on: 10 April 2016, 02:07:38 »

I really enjoyed Batman v Superman. I thought it was a lot of fun, although if you go in there hoping for Batman and Superman to be duking it out for most of the movie, you'll be disappointed.

Only other film I've completed lately is Trainwreck with Amy Schumer. I thought it was okay, but it fell into the generic rom-com crap at the end. Worth a watch and I'm glad I got it for free, but I don't know if I'll ever feel the need to watch it again.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  Topic: The MOVIE Thread
Jump to: