MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
28 March 2024, 16:49:03
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print
Author Topic: The MOVIE Thread  (Read 853536 times)
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2550 on: 22 June 2012, 21:08:25 »

I disagree.

I hated every single character and the choices they made. Also, reading interviews with Ridley Scott, it made me hate the film even more.

[spoiler] Turns out they are pissed at us because we killed Jesus who was an Engineer, so we are like children who got out of control and had to be stopped.[/spoiler]

Posted on: June 18, 2012, 11:27:32 AM

Going to see Brave today with my girlfriend.

I think she's more pumped for it than I am. The trailers got on my nerves.

Posted on: June 22, 2012, 11:26:27 AM

Huh. For a Pixar movie, that was disappointing.

WAY less action than expected.
I didn't get teary eyed or excited of even laugh much.

Does anyone else agree?

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2551 on: 20 July 2012, 10:03:07 »

I liked Brave. Not their best work, but still a very good movie.

21 Jump Street was #####in' hysterical.

Posted on: July 05, 2012, 02:19:25 PM

The Dark Knight Rises is the best of the series, but I still like The Dark Knight the most.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2552 on: 20 July 2012, 23:08:58 »

I watched all 3 in a row yesterday. Overall, a pretty okay series. Not as good as I had hoped, though.

Christian Bale never closes his mouth when he's wearing the mask. It makes him look like an idiot.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2553 on: 28 November 2012, 16:31:24 »

I saw Silent Hill: Revelation last week. The visuals were pretty awesome, and while the story and acting were lacking, I enjoyed it. I have a feeling that we won't be getting a third movie in the series.

orclev
Sniper Joe

« Reply #2554 on: 28 November 2012, 23:32:18 »

I'm going to see The Hobbit in IMAX 3D on opening night next month! Anyone else?

-----
~*~orclev~*~
"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen." -Conan O'Brien
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2555 on: 6 December 2012, 17:27:04 »

I possibly will be.

Posted on: November 28, 2012, 07:11:11 PM

The Star Trek Into Darkness trailer is here!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #2556 on: 13 December 2012, 23:43:36 »

Looks good, doesn't give much away!

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2557 on: 19 December 2012, 09:09:12 »

I count myself among the few Trek fans who liked the new movie, so I am genuinely looking forward to this one too.

Tonight I'm gonna see The Hobbit. I'm excited.

White Shadow
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2558 on: 19 December 2012, 19:32:56 »

I wasn't aware it was that unliked.  I thought it was ok for what it was.  I thought most of the casting was decent even if the sets were largely awful.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2559 on: 6 March 2013, 17:32:53 »

There's plenty of haters out there for the new Star Trek universe, who are against the use of lens flares, the fact that they would dare have someone else be James T. Kirk and crew, the fact that it made Star Trek cool again, the whole "parallel dimensions" thing, and most of all, reusing stuff from the original show (ideas, characters, the name Star Trek, etc.).

Some of the biggest Star Trek whiners ever.

Posted on: December 23, 2012, 07:51:32 PM

Got a rare chance to watch three movies in one day. Haven't done that in a long-ass time.

Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap (2012) is a decent documentary by Ice-T where he interviews a lot of rappers about where they got their start, what their "method" is, etc. If you like rap, you'll be interested the whole time (some awesome freestyles and discussions of who influenced who), but Ice-T isn't the best interviewer and thankfully it ends before it starts feeling like a fluff piece.

The Parallax View (1974): Largely forgotten thriller starring Warren Beatty as a journalist who quickly gets in over his head when trying to find out why people who were present at an assassination three years previous are now dropping like flies. A pretty decent film, it really reflects the feelings of the 1970s. You've got an immense amount of paranoia in the film - you can't trust the government (either due to being corrupt or inept), are corporations in on everything, why are things being covered up, etc.

Watching movies like Dirty Harry, All the President's Men, The Conversation, and The Parallax View really gives you an idea of the attitude of the 1970s that Hollywood reflected - lack of trust in the government, tons of shady #####, police are corrupt, etc. It makes me wonder why Hollywood doesn't go for this kind of stuff anymore - the closest we've got is George Clooney's movies, but they barely scratch the surface like these films did. Maybe it's because Hollywood is far more chummy with Washington nowadays, or maybe today's audiences would just watch a movie like The Conversation and be like "Duh. We know that all of this ##### is happening, this isn't shocking."

Last film was ParaNorman (2012), which I thought was an excellent children's film. The animation was well done, and there was plenty of humor to keep adults and children entertained throughout without feeling like you're dumbing down the story. I'd like to see more films like this instead of more crap like Shrek and Ice Age.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2560 on: 10 March 2013, 23:25:49 »

I really want to see The Art of Rap doc. Heard Ice-T on some interviews and podcasts when it was coming out and sounds really good.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2561 on: 12 March 2013, 14:39:45 »

Wreck-It Ralph was pretty fun, especially for those who are huge video game nerds.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2562 on: 17 March 2013, 22:45:55 »

I loved that movie, but unfortunately it didn't do well. Somewhere along the line someone must have shrugged off that today's kids just don't get the references, but more importantly, have no idea what an arcade is.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2563 on: 16 April 2013, 14:47:42 »

Watched Expendables 2 and Seven Psychopaths over the weekend.

I enjoyed Expendables 2, although I feel like Jean-Claude Van Damme's bad guy wasn't explored at all. In fact, none of the characters are really explored...which kind of bothers me 2 movies in.

Seven Psychopaths is excellent. I love Martin McDonagh's stuff.

Posted on: March 18, 2013, 03:19:16 PM

My girlfriend and I saw G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters at the drive-in. Neither of the films were particularly good, but they were fun for what they were. Hansel & Gretel I'd watch again if it was on TV.

I've also started watching Ordinary People again. We had to read it for my 11th grade English class and then watch the movie - at the time, I thought both sucked balls. However, I still think about it every once in a while, so I wondered if I was just too young to "get it". I'm 30 minutes in, and the verdict thus far is, yeah, young Speed Racer was too young for it.

I really want to see 42.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2564 on: 16 April 2013, 21:45:02 »

Buying Django Unchained as soon as I can. I really like that movie.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2565 on: 22 April 2013, 19:04:20 »

If you can, you should grab the Future Shop Target exclusive steelbook. It's way nicer looking than the regular Blu-Ray and DVD boxes, it's the combo of the two, and at the same price.

I got it and am beyond pleased.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2566 on: 12 May 2013, 17:51:50 »

Girlfriend picked up Django Unchained and Iron Man: Rise of Technovore. Haven't watched either yet, but she loved Django.

Posted on: April 22, 2013, 05:10:43 PM

We saw The Great Gatsby on Friday night. #####ing great adaptation.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2567 on: 30 May 2013, 06:18:22 »

The new Star Trek was only OK.

Seems like people that don't really know Stark Trek liked it more, I just found it was nearly 100% predictable.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #2568 on: 30 May 2013, 11:39:46 »

Between a good/bad rating, I'm leaning towards it being good. I understand why some Star Trek fans don't like it, though. Those people have strong points, but none which retroactively ruined the enjoyed experience for me.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2569 on: 30 May 2013, 15:43:02 »

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was an exciting take on a well-established character, although what should have been an emotional gut-punch wasn't.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2570 on: 30 May 2013, 21:28:47 »

They just kind of... They just weakly cobbled together bits from past Star Treks and after the first bit I never felt compelled again. A friend and I talked about it later, but it was like you could call every plot point 5-10 minutes early, so that makes it lose a lot of points.

I also thought they would have left most of the little jokes/sly references to the old series with the first movie though, and be doing their own thing finally. I get WHY they do it but it seems more like something you would do in the first installment; Like in X-Men when Wolverine was asked if he'd prefer "yellow spandex". The term "red shirt" shouldn't ever leave the lips of someone in Star Trek... The characters shouldn't even be allowed to think it. It's a uniform to them, and they're not in on it, nor would they be that disrespectful of it.

I'm not saying there's no room for jokes (this film had plenty that actually fit in place) but that particular brand of silly stuff always reminds me of hackneyed lines from like the Star Wars movies and stuff.

"Anakin, you'll be the death of me!"
OHhOhohohoohhohHOh. dear viewer! Even if you find that funny in the theatre it becomes a blemish during a rewatch.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 21:36:45 by Mikero » Logged

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2571 on: 18 June 2013, 18:59:01 »

Took the girlfriend to see Epic. Much better than I thought it would be...it's the movie that Ferngully should have been.

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #2572 on: 9 September 2013, 18:22:57 »

Saw Riddick, it was alright, but ppl felt it was like a Pitch Black.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2573 on: 19 October 2013, 04:41:04 »

Saw Machete Kills in a sneak peek the other week (thx rhymezone.com 4 dat), it rocked. But I only watched the first one the day before, even though I am a fan of Robert Rodriguez and Danny Trejo, so I liked it a bit more.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2574 on: 11 November 2013, 02:29:45 »

My fiance and I watched "What to Expect When You're Expecting", as I won an auction for a 12 Rounds 2 UV code with a "mystery code"...and that was the mystery code. Still, the movie was better than what I was...expecting.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2575 on: 26 February 2014, 15:00:09 »

The Lego Movie is grand.  I suggest you all go see it.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2576 on: 8 March 2014, 01:24:01 »

I second that but I hate the two songs.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2577 on: 26 March 2014, 20:12:00 »

Robocop isn't awful.  I was very surprised.  It was a solid OK.  Not great, but not awful or even bad.  It's far short of the original, but as far as a reboot goes, not bad.  There's some real promise for a sequel.  Lets just say if Total Recall is how you DON'T remake/reboot something, Robocop is at least going in the right direction.

Also, Frozen is ok.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2578 on: 5 June 2014, 00:21:27 »

Couple guys from my class worked on Frozen. They're really good.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #2579 on: 5 June 2014, 00:44:57 »

Frozen failed to wow me.

It was okay, and quite unexpected at points, but just okay.

Beautiful film though.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2580 on: 5 June 2014, 15:11:08 »

Frozen gets points for actually surprising me on several plot points that you expect to go traditional ways.  It was refreshing if only for that, but other than that it was also a pretty decent movie.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #2581 on: 21 June 2014, 09:41:01 »

Frozen needed to decide whether or not it wanted to be a music all. The song placement screwed with the movie's pacing. Also, I could have done without the trolls. That said, I liked the movie and I like that Disney isn't pushing the whole "romantic love is the truest love there is!" Thing anymore.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2582 on: 23 June 2014, 20:11:01 »

Love is a lie.

Lunchebox
Super Robot

« Reply #2583 on: 26 June 2014, 03:35:10 »

Your life is a lie.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2584 on: 2 July 2014, 18:08:03 »

That's the truth.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2585 on: 9 July 2014, 05:41:29 »

My wife and I LOVED The Lego Movie.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2586 on: 5 August 2014, 00:37:36 »

Lego movie rocked, I just wish it came out when I was kid with a Legomaniac subscription instead of an adult with a laudanum addiction.

From what I've heard, the Trolls in Frozen were a late add-in so that's why they're so out of place.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2587 on: 10 September 2014, 00:50:19 »

Had a RoboCop marathon and watched the entire series while taking care of my son.

The first RoboCop movie is an American classic. No discussion is needed.

RoboCop 2 was weird, because they failed to continue the discussion of RoboCop's humanity by brushing it away in the first twenty minutes of the movie. Which should have been a strong point to the series, and something that could have been constantly examined throughout got tossed away because they felt the need to keep it as an action movie, which if you watch the first RoboCop movie...it really isn't an action flick. In fact, the movie doesn't really get going until the second half as it meanders through a bunch of barely explored ideas and trying to imitate the social satire of the first. It really feels like it was cobbled together from two different scripts. Cain is a throwaway villain, but the action is satisfying. Not great, but a decent follow-up.

RoboCop 3 was amazingly "meh". I liked how it handled the fear of Japan taking over everything, but again, they dumped the social satire in replace of PG-13 action. I hated the whiz kid character that they threw in, and it just became a generic action film. Crappy way for the trilogy to end.

Part of the problem is that in all reality, RoboCop should never have had any sequels and just stayed "as is". Clarence Boddicker is to RoboCop as the Joker is to Batman - no one else had the "Bitches, leave" attitude that sold the bad guy so well. I was surprised with the route that they took The Old Man in with RoboCop 2, turning him into a vile business man whose main concern was the bottom line, not so much introducing products that helped make a better world. He's a very different character from what was seen in the first film. The kid gangster was also interesting, but only because he's got social commentary within the character. All other villains in the series are bland because they're just "the bad guy".

The 2014 remake of RoboCop I found to be "meh", but I enjoyed the ideas that they put forth with the movie, returning to examine RoboCop's humanity. The acting was good, but overall the movie was average. They tried going back into the satire with Samuel L. Jackson, doing a Bill O'Reilly impression, but in my opinion, it wasn't enough. The fake ads really sold it. I'd be interested in a sequel to the movie, but it doesn't seem like we'll be getting anything - you figure they would have announced it by now.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2588 on: 17 October 2014, 22:54:58 »

I think the RoboCop reboot at least TRIED to do it right.  They didn't quite hit the mark, but I thought it was pretty decent all in all.  It has enough promise to give a sequel a chance, but I agree, I don't think it did well enough to get one, even though far FAR worse movies have.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2589 on: 11 November 2014, 20:05:23 »

I watched Sex Tape, thanks to Sony accidentally giving it away for free on their Ultraviolet website - ironic, right? The movie's marketing made it seem like a really raunchy comedy, but that couldn't have been farther from the actual project. I haven't seen a more confused marketing campaign since Hollywood Homicide (where they couldn't decide if they wanted to advertise it as a serious cop drama or a zany buddy-cop flick). It was amusing, but I really get the vibe it was given the green light on premise alone. Doubtful I'll watch it again.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2590 on: 12 November 2014, 16:51:56 »

What a shocker... Isn't that like the Hercules movie with the Rock where all the previews showed the legendary Hercules fights but those were all like the first 6 minutes of the movie and just a story being told by the "real" Hercules and the rest of the movie was just the Rock playing a mostly normal guy?

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2591 on: 13 November 2014, 02:25:55 »

Don't know. Haven't seen it yet. It's in my Ultraviolet library. I'm finally getting around to seeing Transformers: Age of Extinction, which is rather ho-hum.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2592 on: 13 November 2014, 19:32:16 »

I can't believe it!  Said no one ever.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2593 on: 3 August 2015, 06:13:37 »

I've watched the first half of Man of Steel. I like what I've seen so far.

Posted on: November 17, 2014, 02:18:30 PM

Wife is sick, so I watched The Princess Bride with her. I had yet to see it - I liked it.

Posted on: November 22, 2014, 10:57:42 PM

I saw Inside Out and Ant-Man this week. Enjoyed both movies. Ant-Man's 3D was probably the best use of 3D in a Marvel movie thus far.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2594 on: 3 August 2015, 16:02:46 »

Ant-Man is my #3 Marvel Movie now.  Behind Guardians and Avengers 1.  Cap 1 gets moved down to #4.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2595 on: 1 December 2015, 03:34:06 »

Holy #####balls Creed was a great movie.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2596 on: 1 December 2015, 19:37:46 »

I was considering seeing it.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #2597 on: 17 December 2015, 16:57:48 »

What stopped you?

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #2598 on: 18 December 2015, 19:32:51 »

Nothing, I just haven't gone to see it.  I'm not a big movie goer anymore.  That said, it looks like it'd be ok and maybe I'll see it at some point.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #2599 on: 22 December 2015, 12:45:18 »

Ant-Man is my #3 Marvel Movie now.  Behind Guardians and Avengers 1.  Cap 1 gets moved down to #4.

Little late but this is a pro list.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : The MOVIE Thread
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string