MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
25 April 2024, 13:29:01
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Classic Series  |  : Remember Dreamwave's Mega Man Comics?
Pages: 1 2 » Print
Author Topic: Remember Dreamwave's Mega Man Comics?  (Read 53322 times)
Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« on: 9 October 2010, 03:50:38 »

Yeah, well now Archie is going to be take'n a crack at it:

Comes out spring of next year.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 9 October 2010, 09:25:54 »

I like the art, hope it turns out good.
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #2 on: 9 October 2010, 09:39:45 »

Looks considereably better already...

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 9 October 2010, 13:32:45 »

Depends on who they have writing.  Some of the Archie writers are really good at what they do and keeping things close to canon... while obviously making it an interesting comic.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 9 October 2010, 19:03:20 »

I've never been into comics, but this just might make me a comic book nerd...

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2010, 03:43:56 »

I'm on board if we don't suddenly find out it takes place in a high school again.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2010, 06:28:21 »

I used to read Archie and there is no place for continuity in those random stories. But then again that's the "Archieverse" I'm referring to, I haven't read anything else by Archie Comics.

I have a feeling this won't interest me at all but that's okay because it's probably entirely for kids.

How well do they write the Sonic comics?

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2010, 14:18:35 »

They wrote them based on the Saturday morning cartoon (and loosely, very loosely on Adventures of Sonic), which was the only continuity with fairly complex story and character development thus far.  They also tried to tie in new games when they came out, and many of those adaptations are pretty cool.  It is not the same universe as the games, but they do try to make things fit.

Some of the writers were really phenomenal with doing this, and the first 100 or so issues were actually pretty cool... and that was a few different writers and artists the whole way.

Then they switched writers and I stopped reading because it was just stupid, and I had lost interest in Sonic anything after playing Sonic Adventure 2.  Yes, I think it sucks that much, as do all Sonic games since.

Of course, I've heard this Mega Man comic is actually going to have one of the good Sonic writers at the helm, so it could actually be pretty cool.  Let's just hope they try to get the universe as close to canon as possible.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2010, 22:15:19 »

I used to read the Sonic comics when I was a kid. I would grab an issue whenever my mom took me to this drug store that had 'em on the rack. I reeeeeally loved them as a kid, but I was a KID so I don't know if they were actually good.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2010, 23:08:45 »

Sometimes they were awesome.  There are a couple of issues I still really like.

Most of it wasn't all that great, especially not in retrospect.
Good memories anyway.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2010, 14:29:46 »

I'm to understand this guy won't be doing the art every issue.  Though if they can keep it at that level/quality it would go a long way to helping.  Based on what I know about Archie and comic book adaptations ::cough::Sonic::cough:: I don't have a lot of faith it's not going to suck.  I guess if it doesn't and the art is good it's just a bonus.  I mean, it can't be worse than the Dreamwave garbage, right?  Right?

In the end it's a moot point though.  I judge all Mega Man comics by Mega Mix, so it's got an impossibly high bar to go for.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2010, 14:59:28 »

- will primarily follow the games
- will feature both adaptations and original stories
- first issue focuses on Dr. Wily's betrayal and Rock's transition to Mega Man
- robot masters aren't killed off
- we'll get to see what happens to robot masters after Mega Man defeats them
- Mega Man will have to use strategy to beat each Robot Master
- interest in adaptations of the classic series, the Game Boy games, and the two Mega Man & Bass/Rockman & Forte games
- no Mega Man Soccer adaptation
- could spin-off into other series involving Mega Man
- if original characters do happen, they will be supplemental
- a Mega Man/Sonic crossover could happen, but not likely

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2010/10/flynn-discusses-archies-mega-man-comic.html
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2010, 01:10:36 »

Sounds like everything I wanted to hear!
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2010, 14:28:51 »

Well, if they can keep the art from being #####, this might just be good.

Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2010, 19:43:48 »

- no Mega Man Soccer adaptation

Damn, that would have been hilarious.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2010, 22:45:02 »

They can do it as an omake like in Mega Mix.

Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2010, 13:43:50 »

Bonus.
Bonus.  We have a word for that.  Why don't you use it?
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2010, 14:51:22 »

Omake is funner than Bonus.

SacredFireman
Metall

« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2011, 05:56:11 »

Been a long while since I was on the MMM or any Megaman related site. But the news of this Archie comic reminded me of all the fun times I had with all the Megaman stuff of the past. Can't wait to read it.

: TheRedPriest
: Ben
What's supposed to be awful about Rockman ZERO? I'd rather call Original Rockman awful.
You may leave this web site now.
Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2011, 19:15:09 »

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2011/04/28/preview-pages-for-mega-man-1/

Just say'n.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2011, 04:26:57 by Morgan Guyer » Logged
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #20 on: 28 April 2011, 20:25:59 »

...whoa.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #21 on: 28 April 2011, 21:18:42 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COk1QORtRCI

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #22 on: 29 April 2011, 00:16:30 »

Because he called himself "Rock" I'm torn. That is the ONLY thing I can gripe about in it but it still bothers me. Art's perfect for a MM comic and I love that it's following the game.

That said I'm probably not gonna read it any further anyway so my opinion is irrelevant.

Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #23 on: 29 April 2011, 00:24:43 »

Because he called himself "Rock" I'm torn. That is the ONLY thing I can gripe about in it but it still bothers me. Art's perfect for a MM comic and I love that it's following the game.

That said I'm probably not gonna read it any further anyway so my opinion is irrelevant.

... Why does that bother you? His name IS Rock.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #24 on: 29 April 2011, 02:34:23 »

I think it's pretty neato.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #25 on: 29 April 2011, 07:20:32 »

Dude, that's the artist who used to do the old Sonic the Hedgehog comics! I remember he'd sign "Spaz" in the corner of every cover, holy hell that brings me back. That's the only comic I ever read as a kid. Never got into superhero stuff, but I have a stack of those Archie Sonic comics in my bedroom somewhere. I think this is going to be a definite buy for me.

Also, that preview just looked plain fun. I'm completely on board.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #26 on: 1 May 2011, 00:17:30 »

I've got a "subscription" to it at my local comic book store, although he won't be able to get me the variant covers. May have to eBay for them all, or see if the comic store up in Scranton could get them and one of my professor friends just picks them up for me.

Never insult seven people when you only have a six-shooter.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #27 on: 6 May 2011, 02:48:25 »

Variant covers are a con anyway.

... Why does that bother you? His name IS Rock.

I doesn't really, I was saying that's the only thing I didn't think was great in it.

But really, as far as I'm concerned, his name is RockMan or MegaMan. I've never been a fan of him having "first name" of Rock before becoming a super fighting robot. It always felt like forced continuity/origin to me, and sounded like something you'd read in fanfiction or MMZ. But that's just me.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #28 on: 6 May 2011, 14:20:45 »

fanfiction or MMZ

How are those different?

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2011, 20:41:17 »

Apparently the comic is selling pretty well - according to the guy at Comics on the Green, Archie Comics may have sold out on the first run.

I got my hands on it, thanks to having a "subscription" at another shop. I was impressed by the art - story...not so much. Then again, I've played/heard/read/seen it a million times.

Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2011, 03:41:23 »

Just read it. The artwork blew me away.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2011, 07:46:24 »

I ended up seeing it at the comic shop today when I picked up the new Chew, so I bought it. Really liked it. The artwork, as stated, was great. It really reminded me of those old Sonic comics I used to read, which is a plus. I'm not a huge comics guy, but I feel like I'm gonna' have to keep reading this one only to make my inner child happy. I'm mostly just angry it wasn't around when I was younger. I'd much rather have read a MegaMan Archie series than a Sonic one.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2011, 23:25:26 »

It seems cool but I'd have been more arsed if it came out ten years ago. Kind of like StarCraft 2.

TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2011, 14:35:13 »

Tried to get issue 1, it was sold out.  I have it on my pull list for now.  I'll probably drop it if they start rotating artists ever 5 months or go to a ##### awful style.

SacredFireman
Metall

« Reply #34 on: 19 May 2011, 06:08:20 »

I heard the series is actually just a four issue mini, anyone know? I saw the variant for cover four (featuring Iceman) and it said 4 of 4 for the issue.   :o

Regardless I'll keep buying, gotta support good old Rock. Oh hey, and Fireman's there.

BURN IT ALLLLLL. *ahem*

Edit: Nevermind, crisis averted. Seems they're just using numbers on the series to depict arcs and issue 4 is the end of the first arc (first game maybe?).
« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 16:53:00 by SacredFireman » Logged

: TheRedPriest
: Ben
What's supposed to be awful about Rockman ZERO? I'd rather call Original Rockman awful.
You may leave this web site now.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2011, 03:01:27 »

I can wait for a collection. I still buy some comics in issue format but I'm cutting it out. I just end up putting them in a shortbox having read them once, and never really looking at them again regardless of much I liked them. Collections can be shelved and re-read, plus are much more organized.

Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2011, 23:23:11 »

I know of a man who totes a tomato stick that is gonna be pissed.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2011, 05:52:33 by Morgan Guyer » Logged
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2011, 01:35:59 »

Huh, was not expecting Time Man.
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #38 on: 26 May 2011, 14:07:00 »

Time Man was rather meh, but how can anyone NOT like Oil Man?

Also, looks like they are changing artists and it's by the guy who draws quite similar to Universe's style.  I will in all likelihood be dropping the comic.  I don't need art changing ever arc or special with wacky personal takes or styles.

Speed Racer
Super Robot

« Reply #39 on: 30 May 2011, 23:37:20 »

I can wait for a collection. I still buy some comics in issue format but I'm cutting it out. I just end up putting them in a shortbox having read them once, and never really looking at them again regardless of much I liked them. Collections can be shelved and re-read, plus are much more organized.

That's what I've been doing. Only problem is that thanks to the great deals I usually get, I'm in need of a new bookshelf.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2011, 01:10:52 »

Yep.
I'm in that boat too.

And hardcovers are putting real notable dips in my shelves so they have nice dangerous arcs to them.

NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #41 on: 3 June 2011, 07:05:26 »

...so.... why is Proto Man being called "Blues" in a MEGA MAN comic? It just seems... silly.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #42 on: 3 June 2011, 18:19:30 »

Well, Blues is his name just like Rock is MegaMan's name...

Maybe Dr.Light wasn't involved in his name changing to ProtoMan...

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #43 on: 4 June 2011, 03:19:10 »

Maybe... it still seems silly, but I can live with it.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #44 on: 6 June 2011, 22:44:24 »

MegaMan's name is MegaMan.

Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #45 on: 6 June 2011, 23:17:31 »

Yeah, but before he was MegaMan, he was Rock. Like, before he "robotized", when he was just a kid. So maybe that's why Dr. Light calls ProtoMan Blues?
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #46 on: 7 June 2011, 04:42:21 »

Listen I know that's the just the way it is from now on with the Classic universe, but I don't necessarily subscribe to it. I'm not even sure at this point if that was ever mentioned in the NES games, I have no idea, but it always reeked of something brought about by the original 90's cartoon or some other thing I don't fully respect for story.

Maybe I'm alone on that tip but it really feels tossed in there to me, like an afterthought no one required. And really if I cared about MegaMan trying to be a normal "kid" I would just read the Dreamwave comics and/or go post on an Astroboy forum.

I was always cool with MegaMan just being the super fighting robot, I didn't need elaboration on his journey--Especially if it was gonna be a half-assed trope. It works just fine for the comics or other adaptations, it's a logical element to include in a narrative, but I find it superfluous as far as (and I'm about to use a word I don't like) "canon" is concerned.

Either way that's probably the basis for calling ProtoMan "Blues", at least at first glance, here but I do find them both silly, as Nova said. But it doesn't matter; Rock and Blues are dead. MegaMan and ProtoMan are who they ARE.

Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #47 on: 13 June 2011, 08:19:06 »

Well, the MegaMan 4 intro actually recaps what happened in the last three games and mentions that Rock and Roll were household robots and that Rock decided to become the fighting robot MegaMan to stop Dr. Wily.

Always confused me as a kid because I always known him just as MegaMan.

And in Powered Up, it re-iterates that MegaMan was once a household robot in the intro stage (although Capcom changed his original name of Rock into Mega for the English version... seems like they can't decide on their own continuity).

So, I'm really digging the comic. Once it really gets started I wonder what kind of plots Archie will throw at us. Only one thing has bugged me and that's renaming the Metools into Mettaurs, like in Battle Network.

I really liked it when Dr. Light said he named Rock and Roll based on his love for music.

Morgan Guyer
Sniper Joe

« Reply #48 on: 16 June 2011, 01:08:21 »

Story is moving a little too quickly. I was hoping each robot master would have their own issue. Still pretty cool though.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #49 on: 18 June 2011, 06:15:18 »

Well, the MegaMan 4 intro actually recaps what happened in the last three games and mentions that Rock and Roll were household robots and that Rock decided to become the fighting robot MegaMan to stop Dr. Wily.

Always confused me as a kid because I always known him just as MegaMan.

And in Powered Up, it re-iterates that MegaMan was once a household robot in the intro stage (although Capcom changed his original name of Rock into Mega for the English version... seems like they can't decide on their own continuity).

Well of course Powered Up and comics do that crap, but I'm wondering if this was retroactive continuity created in MM4 that we now just have to accept or if it was the story all along.

I probably won't ever care know.

I really liked it when Dr. Light said he named Rock and Roll based on his love for music.

But I presume you already knew that was the reasoning behind the names Rockman-Roll... Was it just a well done scene or something?

Like, before he "robotized", when he was just a kid.

He was always a robot, never a "kid". A robotic kid, sure. But not Astroboy.

Pages: 1 2 » Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Series  |  Classic Series  |  : Remember Dreamwave's Mega Man Comics?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string