MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
25 April 2024, 05:17:12
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : Possible server change coming soon...?
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Possible server change coming soon...?  (Read 8769 times)
Abominator
Creator of MMM

« on: 2 February 2010, 21:25:31 »

I really can't justify the expense of running MMM as it is any longer.

Despite the majority of the site being down for however long it is now, I've still been paying a lot every 6 months for a really good server.

The aspects that cost the most (running the radio and MChat and currently non-existant downloads) aren't being used nearly enough to warrant the expense, and it's evident that I'll never be motivated to work on the site properly any time soon, because my time and money go elsewhere now, so I'm going to have to think of a good way to balance it all out, and quickly, because the hosting runs out in about 2 weeks...

Any thoughts?

I'll update you all when I know what to do.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 2 February 2010, 21:35:00 »

I honestly don't think anyone will mind, Abe.

Honestly, the only issue I would have, and it's minor, is if the domain name would change I would actually have to pose effort to remember it.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #2 on: 2 February 2010, 21:36:09 »

Perhaps you should get a lower end server, just for the Radio and the Board? The Radio seems rather popular, and well, I personally would be very sad to see the board to go, I think I would lose Contact with everyone. :<

I hope whatever you think of works best.

Abominator
Creator of MMM

« Reply #3 on: 2 February 2010, 21:45:59 »

The board will stay, I'll try to keep the radio too but it's really not as popular as you might think.

I might be ugly... At least I ain't got no money!
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 2 February 2010, 21:48:14 »

I'm fine with just the board.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 2 February 2010, 21:54:16 »

I only care about the board, radio, and chat. Even though I haven't gotten on it in a long time, I don't want to see MChat go. I do listen to MRadio a few times when bored.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #6 on: 2 February 2010, 22:39:49 »

Do what you have to do, Abe. Maybe keep the MChat material around just in case.

White Shadow
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 2 February 2010, 23:32:54 »

Do what you need to, man. We all appreciate the expenses it costs you to keep the site up and running.

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 3 February 2010, 01:10:31 »

We all appreciate the expenses it costs you to keep the site up and running.

I never said that.

Don't you ever say that I've said that.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #9 on: 3 February 2010, 02:01:02 »

He never really said that YOU said that or anyone actually saying anything.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Snare
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 3 February 2010, 04:23:55 »

I WASN'T ASKING YOU.

Listen guys, I call the shots here. I'm in charge. Don't you forget that.

You know what Abe? No. You're actually going to buy a BIGGER, BETTER SERVER. Yeah, you heard me. That's right. Thaaaaank you.
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 3 February 2010, 04:25:08 »

As long as the board stays, I'm alright with it. MChat would be nice to keep.. even though it's hardly used anymore...

I WASN'T ASKING YOU.

Listen guys, I call the shots here. I'm in charge. Don't you forget that.

You know what Abe? No. You're actually going to buy a BIGGER, BETTER SERVER. Yeah, you heard me. That's right. Thaaaaank you.

YOU'RE NOT IN CHARGE. YOU'RE NOT EVEN IN YOUR OWN SIGNATURE.
Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 3 February 2010, 04:38:54 »

You used to have ads at the bottom of the site. I don't know if they helped you any, but if you want to bring them back, or even bring back bigger ones I really don't mind.

I don't care about the radio or MChat, but it's always been really cool that you provided that stuff; I'm just saying I won't miss it.

Even if we have to degrade to something like free proboards hosting, I'll be there, you know. Do whatever you like.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #13 on: 3 February 2010, 04:39:23 »

If we end up losing MChat, I declare one final night of an all-member MChat before it goes down.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #14 on: 3 February 2010, 04:46:19 »

If we end up losing MChat, I declare one final night of an all-member MChat before it goes down.

Aw hellz yeah.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #15 on: 3 February 2010, 05:35:48 »

As one of the biggest fans of MChat, I'd rather just not see it go.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Winged Warrior
Super Robot

« Reply #16 on: 3 February 2010, 06:24:14 »

I love Mchat for the sake of nostalgia reasons, and if there were more of a calling, I would show there more often.

The MMM just doesn't have the calling it had back in late early 2001, when I first joined.

I'm sure you would find that there would be people interested in helping you build the site, and advertising in any way they knew how, to keep such an important part of their past alive.
Vinchenz Rock
Super Robot

« Reply #17 on: 3 February 2010, 12:46:49 »

I love MChat, I remember going there everyday for hours without end just to speak with the older members of this site.

I just realized that I used to talk to a lot of other people on this site... but I've lost contact with them too. :<

So, MChat will always have a soft spot in my heart, and I wouldn't want to see it go, even though I never use it these days... But ya gotta do what ya gotta do. In the end, if it goes, I'll be sad. But I'll get over it, it was there, it served its purpose, if I've never found it I would never have had a "home" on the internet so I'm glad I found it.

The board, though... I hope the board never goes. I know I sound greedy but if this board ever disappears suddenly (like that one time) it'll be bye bye for me to you guys. I wouldn't want that. :<

Xero
Matrix Marine

« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2010, 09:03:37 »

Sure Abe.  As long as It's not IPOWERWEB.
White Shadow
Matrix Marine

« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2010, 11:17:18 »

But, but, but... they have monkeys!

White Shadow
TheRedPriest
Matrix Marine

« Reply #20 on: 12 February 2010, 16:27:39 »

It's silly to pay for what you're not using.  If you don't plan to get the site proper back up then you can get away with a LOT less for just the mboard.  And if that's all you want I wouldn't be averse to even letting you plop it over on my server as far as that goes.  Lord knows I owe you for hosting orchNEStra for a year or three.

Doctor Mario is not a real doctor.  Do NOT let him touch your genitals.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #21 on: 26 February 2010, 23:07:27 »

I agree with TheRedPriest, just keep what's used the most...if it does get to that point at least.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : Possible server change coming soon...?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string