MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
25 April 2024, 14:44:56
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : The handheld curse?
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: The handheld curse?  (Read 6001 times)
fawfulmk-II
Noob

« on: 9 May 2009, 16:49:27 »

welp, this is a pretty obvious thing, but every hated series on MMM is a handheld spinoff. BN,Zero,ZX, Starforce...you all hate'em. is it just really bad luck that all Megaman games released on handhelds usually suck? the only exeption to this rule are the classic series games, and even then, the sequel to megaman&bass sucked,and Powered Up barely sold 20,000 copies. what do you guys think?
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2009, 17:11:54 »

MegaMan: Powered Up is my favorite MegaMan game in terms of how much fun I had playing it, and how long I spent with it. Sadly, the PSP is awful and I never want to touch one of them again.

I'm a huge fan of the Zero series, though not many others here will agree. The only problems I had with it were storyline-related, what with its butchering of the X series.

I love the first three Battle Networks, and though I haven't played the rest of them, it's abundantly clear to me that it's a good thing I haven't.

ZX was fine, too. I didn't have any problems with it aside from storyline stuff, just like Zero.

Star Force is godawful and should never be played by anyone.

MegaMan & Bass is a solid game but unnecessarily cheap and difficult.

fawfulmk-II
Noob

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2009, 17:22:47 »

I'm the same with Zero, and I wasn't actually talking about MM and Bass(which ruled)- I was talking about Challenger from the future for Wonderswan, which I think was the lowest reviewed Megaman game ever.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2009, 18:43:34 »

Zero was fun gameplay, same with ZX.

We also like Megaman for the story, a bit, so the butchering of the story gives rise to hate.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2009, 18:46:50 »

The Zero series is just bad no matter how I look at it.
The sandbox mission thing doesn't make any sense to me, the weapons aren't really all that useful, the music is utter crap, and it retains almost no elements of gameplay that make a Mega Man game what it is. You can jump and shoot, but that's it. Its introduction marked the downfall of Mega Man, which is why I choose to ignore its existence.

ZX is alright if you try not to think about it as a Mega Man game... even then it's a barely mediocre game with zero replay value. The only good thing about it is Aile.

I've not played the Xtreme games.

Battle Network is as much a Mega Man game as Legends is, which is to say it isn't at all. The difference is that Legends is a good game even if you remove all of the Mega Man elements from it. BN is not. It's a craptastic RPG with real time battles done in an intentionally boring way.

Star Force is probably similar, but I haven't played it. It looks even worse than BN.

The two PSP games I have not played and probably will not ever play. Just because I've never had a decent reason to get a PSP.

I'd love to see a good handheld Mega Man game, I really would, but what they would have to do is reduce it to those elements which make Mega Man good... like with Mega Man 9. That could have EASILY been a DS release.
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2009, 18:51:32 »

The Xtreme games were decent fun.

Never got a chance to play Powered up, but Maverick Hunter X was barely okay.
It took nice crisp controls and made them mushy.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
Fatso
Super Robot

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2009, 20:32:45 »

The Xtreme games suffered from a shortage of buttons and trying to translate the music from 8-channel PCM to 3-4 channels PSG (which was done remarkably well in some places but not so much others).

15 minutes with MMZ was enough to put me off that series.

Have not played ZX, but ZXA was worth my $10, if only barely.

I have BN2-3 and love them both.

MM&B is fun enough, but it suffered from the port, partially a not-enough-buttons problem like Xtreme, partially a music problem (listen to the SFC soundtrack then the GBA soundtrack and you'll know what I mean), and most of all a screen size problem (the lower resolution of the GBA forced them to cut portions of the screen out).
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2009, 20:37:52 »

Uhm.

I don't hate BN. Classic, as said, was good enough on GB. And I don't really mind Xtreme if only because I love the style of the sprites. MM&B is good and I really didn't find it hard with either character, which is weird because I'm not especially good at MM games like at all.

The only ones I hate are MMZ and the BN games from number 4 onward.

I haven't played Powered Up!, MHX, Star Force, or ZX but I don't want to either.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2009, 21:13:17 »

The Gameboy Mega Man games I haven't played, but I have Xtreme 1 and it's okay. I wouldn't mind having any of the GB Mega Man games honestly. I have to play them to get an opinion, but they're more like collectibles to me than they are games since they're just spin-offs and not real serious attempts.

But the best out of the handhelds are BN1-3, MHX, and MMPU.

Mega Man Powered Up is loads of fun and Maverick Hunter X is an okay remake. It's really just the first X game on the PSP, but it's just nice to replay in 3D. BN1-3 have great storylines in them, my personal favorite being #3, but #2 is a must play.

ZX is OK. The games are decent at best. They just need to improve a little and it'd be a nice series but Capcom doesn't seem to want to be doing that.

Star Force is also just "OK" as a game. I'll play one of the games but I wouldn't waste my money on it. Reason is because Capcom obviously is just "dur-durring" us with the series. They advertise it like mad calling it BRAND NEW, INTERESTING, FANTASTIC, MIND-BLOWING, and only one of those is the truth: It's definitely mind blowing. It'd be nice if the games had a little originality or new gameplay to bring to the table but it doesn't. If you've played Battle Network, you played Star Force. Only thing they worked on was the battle system which is about the only fun thing in the game. Everything else keeps the BN4-6 taste, which isn't Capcom's best.

BN4 is horrible. BN5 is better but still "eh", and BN6 is ALMOST as good as BN1 but not quite, it's almost there, but I actually enjoyed BN6 in the slightest.

And what can I say about the Zero series? Ignoring what Chron mentioned before, I hate Mega Man games on the Gameboy Advance that are platformers. Battle Network just fit on the system, but playing the Zero series is just hazardous and annoying. Mega Man & Bass's port to the system also had the same issue, although It still has a little charm to it being a classic game.

To sum it up...

Good: MMPU, MHX, BN1-3

OK: MM&B, BN6, ZX, ZXA, Star Force1-3

Bad: BN4, BN5, MMZ1-4

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
ultraman
Noob

« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2009, 21:41:51 »

MEGA MAN AND BASS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D 8) :) DEAL WITH  IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NovaMan XP
Super Robot

« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2009, 21:52:53 »

No, I won't deal with it.

Because that was stupid.
Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2009, 22:38:25 »

Yeah and that game wasn't that good. It was good enough, but  not that good.

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2009, 02:08:25 »

Better on the SNES, and even then it was nice try.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Pages: 1 Print 
The MBoard  |  MegaMan Matrix  |  MMM General Forum  |  : The handheld curse?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string