MegaMan Matrix

Welcome, Guest. Please Log In or Register. Did you miss your activation email?
25 April 2024, 07:44:17
RadioGallery (OFFLINE)MBoard + MChatRegisterLog In
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Matricians: What are you reading now?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » Print
Author Topic: Matricians: What are you reading now?  (Read 62528 times)
Chron
Super Robot

« Reply #50 on: 3 May 2009, 14:15:00 »

It's an interesting concept, although it dies if you think about the science for too long.
AlexThePenguin
Super Robot

« Reply #51 on: 3 May 2009, 22:00:51 »

Most interesting concepts that are published in fictitious works do.

That's nice, dear.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #52 on: 5 June 2009, 01:37:59 »

It's not like any of this is possible in the first place, so believe me, it's not the science I'll be focusing on. I'm mostly interested in the phenomenon itself and how it affects all the characters.

Posted on:  3 May 2009, 18:58:38

Oh, hey, forgot to post after I finished Flash Forward. Hell, I've even finished another book since then.

Flash Forward was good and interesting, but it was clearly written by a sci-fi author who pumps out a lot of books. I definitely enjoyed it though. I'm looking forward to the TV series, and it looks like they changed and added a LOT.

Anyway. Speaking of TV shows based on books...

I also finished the first Dexter book. I really enjoyed it. It's very interesting to have the entire book narrated by a serial killer. In the show you get the narrations, but in the book EVERYTHING is told through his dry, witty, deranged point-of-view. And it's very entertaining.

Started the second book in the series a few days ago. I heard they go downhill.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #53 on: 5 June 2009, 01:59:30 »

I have about an eighth left of Mostly Harmless.

Which means it's just getting down to it :D

preventerWIND
Super Robot

« Reply #54 on: 21 June 2009, 03:31:01 »

So, guys, I bought The Bro Code.

It's so awesome.

LOL BANDWAGON
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #55 on: 23 June 2009, 19:19:49 »

HEY WHOA A TOPIC.

I just finished the 4th Hitchhiker's Guide book, "So Long and thanks for all the Fish."

I liked it best out of what I've read so far.
Even though there was a disturbing lack of Zaphod.

Next up is the short story, "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe."
And then the last book.
Should be done next week.

I can skin anything smaller than a bobcat in 30 seconds.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #56 on: 23 June 2009, 19:36:24 »

EDIT: I just got done reading Initial D vol.1 to 28. But they mangas. I don't know if you consider them "books".
« Last Edit: 24 June 2009, 04:42:03 by TheOnly » Logged

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #57 on: 23 June 2009, 20:01:18 »

Comics =/= books

No more pencils, No more books
I built a city out' one brick, it had a Mayor and a Crook
I made the Crook stab the Mayor, then slay himself in the guilt
I stole the brick back and migrated east, now let's build.
Slugkid
Robot Master

« Reply #58 on: 23 June 2009, 20:15:47 »

Well, this is the "What are you reading?" Topic, not the "What book are you reading?" topic, so, it's about the same.
TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #59 on: 23 June 2009, 20:15:47 »

Does that mean they the same thing in this realm?

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #60 on: 23 June 2009, 21:21:47 »

I never said it wasn't pertinent to the topic, I only answered his question regarding whether or not comics and books were the same.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #61 on: 23 June 2009, 21:51:46 »

Comics are a type of book, if you ask me, in the event that they're presented in book form. I don't feel like the terms "comic book" or "picture book" are misnomers.

I wouldn't argue that a graphic novel is the same as text-only, though.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #62 on: 23 June 2009, 22:30:44 »

Yes, they're books in as much as they're numerous pages bound together into a single entity.

Comics, while an art form in their own right, are a completely different beast than printed literature.

Trying telling a decent author that they're no more talented than the writer of a comic book, and see if that doesn't get you punched in the face.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #63 on: 24 June 2009, 01:01:50 »

HEY WHOA A TOPIC.

I just finished the 4th Hitchhiker's Guide book, "So Long and thanks for all the Fish."

I liked it best out of what I've read so far.
Even though there was a disturbing lack of Zaphod.

Next up is the short story, "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe."
And then the last book.
Should be done next week.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT

You liked it BEST?

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #64 on: 24 June 2009, 01:32:20 »

Yes.

I liked it better than the other books.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #65 on: 24 June 2009, 02:14:52 »

...wh...

...what?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love SLATFATF, but... but it's so... it's just so clearly the weakest.

Sorry, I have a hard time accepting certain opinions.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #66 on: 24 June 2009, 02:56:19 »

I enjoyed reading it more, lots of cool moments, and I don't know.

I liked it more.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #67 on: 24 June 2009, 05:16:19 »

Trying telling a decent author that they're no more talented than the writer of a comic book, and see if that doesn't get you punched in the face.

I don't think that's fair to say at all. Good comic books require skill. Drawing skill, as well as writing skill.

I agree with the rest of your post, because that much is obvious.

The Exorcist has taught me that when I'm losing an argument I may save face by vomiting on the opposition.
ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #68 on: 24 June 2009, 05:29:30 »

Lies!

Authors are too introverted to get into fights!

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #69 on: 24 June 2009, 16:16:56 »

I don't think that's fair to say at all. Good comic books require skill. Drawing skill, as well as writing skill.

I agree with the rest of your post, because that much is obvious.

The writer not the illustrator. Even then, drawing something is a different skill than writing, which is what I was getting at.

I have yet to read a comic book that could touch the narrative power of some of the literature I've read.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #70 on: 24 June 2009, 17:33:43 »

Then that's the fault of the individual writer. I don't think the method of storytelling is crippled in any way, I'm betting it just doesn't attract many of those of higher intelligence.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #71 on: 24 June 2009, 19:02:56 »

I don't think it's the individual writer so much as the medium itself.
Illustrations give you a concrete framework for how things look or behave, where books require you to paint your own picture mentally, which makes them a significantly more intimate and personal experience.

Comics, while certainly a visual feast, just aren't as engaging.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #72 on: 24 June 2009, 23:29:42 »

I maintain that a graphic novel can be just as compelling as a "regular" novel as long as you find the right one. There's a LOT of spectactular stuff out there. But if your problem is the medium entirely then the chance of you finding something you like is that much more slim, though I'm certain there's something for you.

It's like some people and audiobooks, I guess. I don't have an opinion on them but I know people who love them and people who can't stand them. It doesn't really make the stories any less good and blah blah blah, but stories are as personal as they are a group things and blah blah blah.

Either way I'm interested to know what you've read, just for the info because I'm probably not going to be able to conclude anything from it.

But maybe you're talking purely about "comic books" published in an issue format and not so much "graphic novels", where the divide can get a little... Well, it does make a difference often enough.

I now lots of plain-text writers who love comics, so I don't know.
I'm not a huge fan of writers though. They often have a quality to their personalities that clashes with mine significantly.

...wh...

...what?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love SLATFATF, but... but it's so... it's just so clearly the weakest.

Sorry, I have a hard time accepting certain opinions.

Mostly Harmless was weaker for me. Took too long for everyone to get anywhere and then... Eh.

My favourite is still the first one. And I loved The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe muchly. Actually I think they kind of went downwards for me. I really liked So Long And Thanks For All The Fish but then it just kinda ended and we didn't really have a clear idea of everything it brought up, some of which gets a bit covered in Mostly Harmless but just not enough for my tastes. I don't have Young Zaphod Plays It Safe.

I recently bought a Indie(ish?) graphic novel called Supermarket on a whim. I liked the art a lot (or maybe the designs, I can't place it) and seemed interesting. It wasn't really a story that would bend you at all, in that it wasn't really new, but it was still entertaining. Short and simple. Just the one book. Worth a pickup if it's cheap but I wouldn't go out of my way. If anyone's looking for a graphic novel series or onesie, I can probably do the recommend thing.

Novel-wise, I couldn't sleep a WINK or BLINK even if I'd had ten DRINKS last night. So at like 7am I finally started reading World War Z by Max Brooks.

I'm SO hooked. And I'm someone who's kind of tired of zombies lately, too.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #73 on: 24 June 2009, 23:39:30 »

I'm not liking "Mostly Harmless" as much so far.

It feels like everything else that's happened doesn't matter any more.

I also really liked the character Fenchurch in SLATFATF.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #74 on: 24 June 2009, 23:44:27 »

I had the same feelings.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #75 on: 25 June 2009, 00:48:44 »

It's generally agreed upon that the books consistently went downhill from the first.

My personal favorite is LUE, if only for Agrajag and the flying bits. I thought the Agrajag storyline was legitimate comic genius to tie up a bunch of loose ends that didn't even need tying up in a hilarious way, and it didn't feel forced at all like similar attempts could easily be perceived.

But the BEST is definitely the first.

There are a lot of people who HATE the ending of Mostly Harmless, and there are people who love it. I'm of the latter group - I think it's the only logical and fitting ending to the series even though it's very dark and it's pissing me off that a new book is coming to negate all of that.

[spoiler]They set up the whole "Arthur is so sick of this and just wants to die but knows that, logically, he cannot die yet" storyline in the third book and it was a great conclusion that I just thought was perfect.[/spoiler]

Though, the after-the-fact radio series for Mostly Harmless modified the ending a bit to tie more of the story together on a much larger scale, including some stuff with Zarniwoop. I really enjoyed that effort and it didn't feel like they were tampering, it just felt like it was stuff that was always present and Douglas just never mentioned it.

I love the radio series. Probably more than the books. I at least reccomend the very first one.

More on SLATFATF: I still love it. Favorite part is The Asylum. Great stuff. If I ever find a package of toothpicks like that, I'll be hanging it above a doorway in my house. And Fenchurch does rock, hard.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #76 on: 25 June 2009, 06:23:39 »

I just though the ending was OK. I'm either not decided or I'm fine with it but not a big fan.

[spoiler]I hear in the radio series you find out Fenchurch is working at Milliway's this whole time. #####ing people from the plural sectors, am I right?[/spoiler]

But yeah I did love them all, and I thought all of Life, The Universe, And Everything's tieing EVERYTHING from that book in was great. And yes, Agrajag.

Anyway back to World War Z.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #77 on: 25 June 2009, 09:24:25 »

I stand by what I said.

I read a lot of Batman while growing up (best villains ever) as well as the other staples. I've read just about everything Jhonen Vasquez has produced (love the work, hate the guy), and I really enjoyed The Maxx, as well as Transmetropolitan. I've also read my fair share of graphic novels, ranging from The Watchmen (admittedly due to the film and all the buzz) to From Hell to Sandman.

I really want to make it clear that I've really enjoyed a lot of comics. There have been some wonderful, moving stories and memorable characters.

That said, the simple fact remains that they just don't engage me in the same way as classical literature. Like I said before, I really feel like illustration kills a really important part of reading. When I read a comic, I physically see what is occurring, but when I read a novel, the text melts away and the world around me disappears as the scenes play out in my head, painted with my own brushstrokes.

Comics just can't compete with that.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #78 on: 25 June 2009, 19:22:07 »

That is certainly respectable.

I wish I had read more comics. It's not something I feel like I can get into easily.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #79 on: 26 June 2009, 01:06:42 »

Fair enough, Edge and Majikn.

... I like Fables :-)

TheOnly
Robot Master

« Reply #80 on: 26 June 2009, 02:20:19 »

Now am reading the G.T.O mangas, its FUUUNNNNY...for me at least.

Signature:
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #81 on: 26 June 2009, 03:22:05 »

Just finished Mostly Harmless.

I didn't really like it.

From what I remember, it goes 4>1>2>3>5

With 1,2,3 being tentative.

I know I liked "SLATFATF" most and "Mostly Harmless" least.
The other three are about the same.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #82 on: 27 June 2009, 21:55:28 »

Just found out that Simon Pegg's autobiography, "Out of Spaced", is coming out on October 1st.

Can't wait.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #83 on: 28 June 2009, 05:23:33 »

I have never read any of THHGttG books.

*braces for impact*

ChaosVortex
Super Robot

« Reply #84 on: 28 June 2009, 05:39:30 »

Neither have I.

Then again, what have I read?

... that statement compels me to read a book.

[ N ][ M ][ C ]
[ S ][ - ][ E ]
[ J ][ V ][ W ]

Mega Man and Yu-Gi-Oh! fanatic!
https://www.lulladin.weebly.com
Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #85 on: 28 June 2009, 06:15:03 »

Edge, personally, I don't think you're missing a WHOLE lot, but they are at least decently fun to read and the Ultimate Collection thing from Barnes and Noble is totally worth the 20 bucks.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #86 on: 28 June 2009, 09:44:00 »

I have never read any of THHGttG books.

*braces for impact*

You in particular would LOVE them.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #87 on: 28 June 2009, 16:13:18 »

I do recall listening to the radio broadcast version of them when I was in middle-school.

I've been meaning to read them, but I have yet to find a copy of this anywhere near me.
I know I could order one, but that would be cheating.

Majikn
Super Robot

« Reply #88 on: 28 June 2009, 16:21:00 »

Key Phrases: total perspective vortex, pikka bird, central mission module, Ford Prefect, Arthur Dent, Zaphod Beeblebrox

Oh ##### now I know what them signatures are all about.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #89 on: 28 June 2009, 17:34:35 »

I do recall listening to the radio broadcast version of them when I was in middle-school.

I've been meaning to read them, but I have yet to find a copy of this anywhere near me.
I know I could order one, but that would be cheating.

You don't have any Barnes and Noble near you?

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #90 on: 28 June 2009, 18:46:08 »

The Ultimate collection is extremely hard to find, I've learned.

My old one, which is the same thing but looks a lot nicer and better font on the cover, is from over ten years ago and it's falling apart. So, I was looking for a new one, since this is a book that I will ALWAYS re-read year after year and I'd like to get a new one before this mother#####er falls apart.

When I searched a couple years ago, I found out that I hated the new design and didn't want to bother spending the money since the price also shot up after the movie came out. (I originally got it for $10 but I saw it for $30.)

NOW, I finally was all "Whatever, I'll just get it" and I find out that it's EXTREMELY hard to find now, and goes for anywhere from $40-100 online. The one I have is even rarer and more expensive, so I'm really hoping it doesn't fall apart.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #91 on: 28 June 2009, 18:52:23 »

And I go to my local bookstores and they have piles of them.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #92 on: 28 June 2009, 19:20:53 »

I have a Barnes and Noble (I even get a discount there) in my city, but they only ever have the paperback edition.

ASR, I'm curious what the cover of your version looks like.

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #93 on: 28 June 2009, 19:27:59 »

Same.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #94 on: 28 June 2009, 19:31:54 »

I prefer having them in separate novels. It's just easier to bring to work or where ever and there's not an organization issue for mine since they all came together in a nice box.

ASR
Super Robot

« Reply #95 on: 28 June 2009, 19:47:11 »

Same.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #96 on: 28 June 2009, 20:15:16 »

Lovely. But not convenient.

And it has those tongue-y aliens we can't figure out!

Johncarllos
Super Robot

« Reply #97 on: 28 June 2009, 20:33:37 »

Yeah, that's cooler than mine.

Edgecrusher
Super Robot

« Reply #98 on: 28 June 2009, 20:45:03 »

I think I prefer the more recent edition.

I blame the typeface.

Most of the books I read are huge, so I don't mind the cumbersome size.

Mikero
Super Robot

« Reply #99 on: 29 June 2009, 07:28:35 »

It depends on where I want to read it, for me. When I started reading H2G2 I was working every day in an office, so it was easier to bring a small paperback back and forth on the bus.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » Print 
The MBoard  |  Non-MegaMan  |  Any Other Business?  |  : Matricians: What are you reading now?
Jump to:
Cannot access offset of type string on string